As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Metroid] Thread: Other M is out! Mind your spoiler tags!

1454647484951»

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah, but the way Sakamoto did Other M, I dunno. Some stuff seemed to contradict Fusion, of all things. For example, Adam's personality was more in line with the AI before it remembered who it used to be.

And I may be biased, but I'd take Admiral Dain any day.

That's FLEET Admiral Castor Dane to you.

It's a whole star better than regular admiral or general.

Highest space rank in the whole space navy. He earned it by killing space pirates and authorizing ethically dubious and dangerous space weapon projects that DON'T go horribly wrong. (one of the most difficult feats in all of videogames.)

Meanwhile, Adam is just a regular general. At most. THEN he got his ass drilled back down to Commander.

That is a massive demotion. I hate to think how bad he screwed up to have that happen to him.

And while Samus had to hunt down a special acid-rain suit shield, he just goes ahead and uses a gunship as an umbrella.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Arteen wrote: »
    Sakamoto took "credit" for a lot of the biggest problems in Other M. Not just story and voice acting, but demanding the game be wiimote-only instead of wiimote+nunchuck. Who knows what else was his call. Other M was mediocre at the best of times, but I wouldn't mind another stab at that sort of gameplay.

Sakamoto is sort of like a mad scientist, I guess. For what good and bad that entails.
    MechMantis wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Mxpn wrote: »
    Didn't Samus say something about never having another commanding officer aside from Adam in Other M? She had Admiral Dane in Prime 3 so I guess it's not canon. I could be wrong though, my memory is hazy having played the Prime series long ago.

She's still acting pretty independently. She has missions and gets advice and occasionally backup, but how to accomplish her tasks is left entirely up to her discretion.

Yeah, pretty much this. It was absolutely apparent that she was hired on as a mercenary to fulfil a contract. Just like in Prime 2.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... that sounds like you're saying she was doing it for money, and Samus would never do something like that:
    For Prime 3, Retro needed a new gimmick and there was a great divide between the studio and Tanabe about what that should be. What they could agree on was Aran's character -- at least, for the most part. "Samus could best be summarized, at least in my mind, as Boba-Fett with a sense of honor. Everybody hears bounty hunter and, of course, Boba-Fett is synonymous with that for good reason: he's a very compelling character," says Walker. "But Samus has a sense of compassion and honor where she's not in it for the money. She does it to protect humanity. And her upbringing and being raised by the Chozo gave her that sense of nobility that I think many characters lack."

Samus really isn't about the money, a truth that confused the developer -- and me, upon hearing this story -- when it presented Nintendo a gameplay design that appealed to Aran's chosen occupation. "We were looking for something more along the lines of a mission-based game where Samus collected bounties. And for the life of us we couldn't understand why [Nintendo was] being so resistive to that concept. And then over the period of days we came to understand that their definition of a bounty hunter is not a bounty hunter. It is not someone who brings in bad guys for money. That concept was completely outside of their definition," says Walker. Nintendo told Retro that Samus does not actually take bounties for those she hunts. (Someone should tell Nintendo that Aran has officially been labeled a bounty hunter for two decades now, a slight inconsistency.) "So we started joking that Samus was actually a pro-bono hunter. And occasionally we'll run into those nuances of translation and culture that can sometimes derail us for days."

As for new suits, I liked the variations Retro came up with across the Prime series. I don't think I'd want any of them to be the new "standard" suit, but I'd definitely trust them to come up with one.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    What, really? So she's a bounty hunter in the sense that she doesn't actually collect bounties for things she hunts. All right, I guess.

Metroid is probably the darkest and bleakest of the Nintendo properties, but I guess even heroism for cash is too much of a line to cross. Either be 100% pure and honorable in your motivation or get out.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    What, really? So she's a bounty hunter in the sense that she doesn't actually collect bounties for things she hunts. All right, I guess.

Metroid is probably the darkest and bleakest of the Nintendo properties, but I guess even heroism for cash is too much of a line to cross. Either be 100% pure and honorable in your motivation or get out.

I like how Prime 3 still implied Samus was getting bank for her work.

It's not like she's only a hero for money, but being a killer for hire turns her genocidal revenge rampages into a profitable career instead of a mental problem.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Given everything we've seen of Samus, I'd sooner classify her as a mercenary.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

I like how Prime 3 still implied Samus was getting bank for her work.

It's not like she's only a hero for money, but being a killer for hire turns her genocidal revenge rampages into a profitable career instead of a mental problem.

That's pretty much what I always thought. She's the Defender of the Galaxy. She would fight the Space Pirates and metroids and monsters even if there was no pay at all. Even in Prime 2, she never would have gotten paid for saving the Luminoth - her contract only stated to "find out what happened" to the Spess Mehreens. If Samus was only motivated by money, the game would have lasted an hour "yeah, found them, they're dead, planet is infested, just glass the place and pay up". But she went to huge pains to save Aether (I always figured the Luminoth having noticeable similarities to the Chozo had something to do with that) and enver asked for a reward afterwards, just dismissing all the thanks with a casual hand gesture as she walked out.

But hey, if you can get people to pay you while doing what you would do anyway, why not? A girl has to pay the maintenance on her starship, after all.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    A girl has to pay the maintenance on her starships, after all.

Fixed. That girl changes ships as much as Natalie Portman changed outfits in Star Wars.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    Given everything we've seen of Samus, I'd sooner classify her as a mercenary.

Isn't that pretty similar, though? I mean, it's money for a job, right?

Anyway, too bad there wasn't that bit with taking jobs as Retro wanted... might have been cool.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Sakamoto took "credit" for a lot of the biggest problems in Other M. Not just story and voice acting, but demanding the game be wiimote-only instead of wiimote+nunchuck. Who knows what else was his call. Other M was mediocre at the best of times, but I wouldn't mind another stab at that sort of gameplay.

Sakamoto is sort of like a mad scientist, I guess. For what good and bad that entails.
    MechMantis wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Mxpn wrote: »
    Didn't Samus say something about never having another commanding officer aside from Adam in Other M? She had Admiral Dane in Prime 3 so I guess it's not canon. I could be wrong though, my memory is hazy having played the Prime series long ago.

She's still acting pretty independently. She has missions and gets advice and occasionally backup, but how to accomplish her tasks is left entirely up to her discretion.

Yeah, pretty much this. It was absolutely apparent that she was hired on as a mercenary to fulfil a contract. Just like in Prime 2.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... that sounds like you're saying she was doing it for money, and Samus would never do something like that:
    For Prime 3, Retro needed a new gimmick and there was a great divide between the studio and Tanabe about what that should be. What they could agree on was Aran's character -- at least, for the most part. "Samus could best be summarized, at least in my mind, as Boba-Fett with a sense of honor. Everybody hears bounty hunter and, of course, Boba-Fett is synonymous with that for good reason: he's a very compelling character," says Walker. "But Samus has a sense of compassion and honor where she's not in it for the money. She does it to protect humanity. And her upbringing and being raised by the Chozo gave her that sense of nobility that I think many characters lack."

Samus really isn't about the money, a truth that confused the developer -- and me, upon hearing this story -- when it presented Nintendo a gameplay design that appealed to Aran's chosen occupation. "We were looking for something more along the lines of a mission-based game where Samus collected bounties. And for the life of us we couldn't understand why [Nintendo was] being so resistive to that concept. And then over the period of days we came to understand that their definition of a bounty hunter is not a bounty hunter. It is not someone who brings in bad guys for money. That concept was completely outside of their definition," says Walker. Nintendo told Retro that Samus does not actually take bounties for those she hunts. (Someone should tell Nintendo that Aran has officially been labeled a bounty hunter for two decades now, a slight inconsistency.) "So we started joking that Samus was actually a pro-bono hunter. And occasionally we'll run into those nuances of translation and culture that can sometimes derail us for days."

As for new suits, I liked the variations Retro came up with across the Prime series. I don't think I'd want any of them to be the new "standard" suit, but I'd definitely trust them to come up with one.

You say that but uh...

how many Space Pirates has she killed?

If they're as large a menace as we've been shown, there's got to be some kind of standing bounty. Sure, she doesn't do it for the money, but the G-Fed probably just stuffs her accounts with umpteen billion Space Dollars every so often.

It comes down to the fact that she just likes to kill Space Pirates.

All true; I basically don't see why she can't be a bounty hunter with a charitable side/personal stake. Not saying she has to be greedy, but she needs to pay the bills, I'm sure.

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I think Nintendo, being a company with a family-friendly image, were concerned about the connotations of "bounty hunter" as a job description for Samus. Then again it's stated in the non-Prime games that she quit the Galactic Federation Police (who are called the Galactic Federation Army in Mother M?!?) and accepts "missions" from the Feds. So... mercenary is okay, but bounty hunter is not? It is a mystery.

I do have one of those figma brand Samus Aran figures. It's the best Japanese action figures I've purchased, though that's not saying much, heh.

A few months back I had to put down Prime 2 due to the friggin' Spider Ball Guardian. I feel guilty just thinking it but I wanna skip on over to Prime 3. But... but... the Luminoth are so cool!

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ignoring other M I figured she quit because as a hunter you have more leeway to say fuck you I won't do this to questionable orders.

And that federation is shady as fuck so I totally get that.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Ignoring other M I figured she quit because as a hunter you have more leeway to say fuck you I won't do this to questionable orders.

I always figured that'd be it, yeah.

Samus may be the patron saint of collateral damage, but she has a clear heroic streak (she was taught by the kindly Chozo, after all. So many years among altruistic birds, I imagine stuff kind of rubs off). So it always was my guess that she joined the Galactic federation with the intention to be police and help keep order in the galaxy, all full of ideals - but instead found herself being ordered to do things she disagreed with, and told the Federation army to go fuck themselves and began flying solo, taking what bounties sounded agreeable to her.

When you're the most dangerous person in the galaxy you can afford to pick and choose your jobs, after all. After a certain level, you don't go to people for work, people come to you :P.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.