As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Over the ear headphones with good bass?

billwillbillwill Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
No, I'm not interested in Beats.

I want a solid bass, but not with the mids and highs compromised.

I've been eying these. Anyone have experience with them? Strong bass or what?

I'm also open to other brands, but 300 is my absolute limit, and obviously, the cheaper the better.

EDIT: Apparently the HD595s don't have the bass I am looking for. Oh well.

I hate you and you hate me.
billwill on

• TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sennheiser HD555's have pretty good bass, and they are much cheaper to boot.

TurboGuard on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I highly recommend trying Seinheisser headphones before you wear them.

I bought a (cheaper) ear-covering Seinheisser set on PA's recommendation. The sound was good but they were uncomfortable as all hell and I couldn't wear them for more than 30 minutes.

I know Bose gets a lot of flak around these here parts, but I really, really love these headphones. I thought their bass is better than the comparable Seinheisser model. Also, they are super comfortable. I often wear them for hours at a time and sometimes I fall asleep in them. At $130, I don't think they're overpriced.

Qingu on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure what "bass" you're looking for. Sennheiser HD595 absolutely has very clear bass response. I have a pair of HD590s and they're excellent for bass without muddying the higher frequencies.

If you're looking for overwhelming bass, well, you might be listening to music that simply wasn't mixed to have prominent bass. I tend to suggest the first Soul Coughing album, Ruby Vroom, as a good test of well-mixed but bass-dominant music, since the double bass is often the lead instrument in tracks.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast