As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roach problem again (damn it)

DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So the people who run my apartments are fucking stupid, and they can't bother to hire a real exterminator, so they have some guy come in once a month and halfassedly spray around the room with what I now suspect was probably water.

During the last few nights (the ones where I've slept here anyway), I've had:

- A roach wake me up by crawling on my leg while I sleep
- A roach crawling across my bed in broad daylight
- A female with an egg sack and several newborns (presumably from another female) scurrying about the kitchen sink.
- A couple of other roaches that I spotted darting across my carpet. Little fuckers.

My room is immaculately clean. Regularly vacuumed, no food or water lying around, no trash beyond paper and plastic in the trash bin (not even wrappers).

I've gotta get rid of these things. I don't care if I see them occasionally, but right now they're breeding, and if I allow them to continue, things are going to get icky.

I'm kind of hoping you guys can sort of critique my battle plan here and help me with a couple of my more specific questions.

- I'm going to the store tomorrow, and I'm going to buy the ingredients for a boric acid paste (made of 2 parts boric acid, 1 part cocoa powder, and one part sugar/flour, and a bit of water). Someone mentioned that roaches find chocolate irresistible, so it seems like a really good delivery mechanism for poison.

- In addition to that, I will be looking into baits or sprays that contain "IGR" in some capacity, which I guess is a chemical or synthetic hormone that sterilizes the roaches. I'm not sure what the best way to use this is, or even if it's actually something that works.

- I'll be buying some painter's caulk and sealing cracks and holes, especially around cabinets, countertops, and so forth, but the problem with that is that I'm not sure how to seal up the baseboards in my room specifically. There's carpet there. Is there something I can put down? Or how does one deal with this?

- Is it true that bay leaves and cedar will keep them out of the cabinets? My food's all sealed up in rigid plastic containers, but I have seen a roach in the cabinets before just kind of foraging around.

- How much good is wiping and sealing my sink going to do (for the purpose of witholding water)? People say that they need water far more than they need food, and it's true that they do seem generally speaking more attracted to the sinks than anywhere else. But I can't really seal off my toilet, so that angle is dubious at best.

Is there anything else I can do? Any specific products that any of you have tried that worked (beyond borax)? I'm pretty sure these roaches are poison-resistant, as they're sprayed on a monthly basis to no apparent effect.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You can just buy a bottle of crystallized boric acid and put a fine line around all of the baseboards and counters. I've always used the boric acid / water / sugar mix for ants, not roaches.

That and put out RAID traps. Seems to have worked where I'm living now.

Can't wait to not live here anymore though ;)

adytum on
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    You can just buy a bottle of crystallized boric acid and put a fine line around all of the baseboards and counters.

Boric acid works where nothing else will. And it's relatively non-toxic.

However, since the key is for the chemical particles to stick to the body of the roach, it's critical that the boric acid not get wet, since this will turn the easily-agitated powder into a solid.

darkgrue on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i am also going to get boric acid today
    i went downstairs (it's fucking 11 AM) and there is this goddamn spy cockroach

it crawls onto the handle of a cup on a counter above the sink, and jumps off it like a foot to get onto a cup in the sink. then i cussed it out and it ran away. anyway, borax is boric acid and should work, yes?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Borax the compound is not the same thing as boric acid.

adytum on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Roaches need to come into contact with boric acid, they don't need to eat it. Boric acid bores a hole in chitin, the exoskeleton of the roach, and leads to dehydration and death.

Put that stuff anywhere you see roaches and do not disturb, as it's easily aerosolized and prolonged exposure to anything isn't good.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Borax the compound is not the same thing as boric acid.

er, then what's a brand of... that

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This is what I bought at Lowe's. It's 100% boric acid, though it doesn't say it on the front label.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    thanks!

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sticky traps with a bait in the middle were my favored method of getting rid of roaches when I lived in Japan.

They have the added benefit of allowing you to keep track of the reductions in the roach population, and allow you to remove the carcasses, rather than wondering whether you will happen upon a roach boneyard when you clean behind the fridge.

All it was was a little cardboard box with a highly adhesive gel on the interior surface, and a bait packet to place in the middle of the adhesive.

This might be an option. It might also be sold at your local hardware store or grange supply.

Or you can make your own. And when the trap is full, drop the borax on them... or put the borax in the bottom of the trap.

I hope that you are able to beat these things.

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    we've tried those and they didn't work too well but the concept is good

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wait, that's how boric acid works?

Some guy told me that what happens is the roaches get it on their body. And because roaches are constantly self grooming, they ingest it, where it causes digestive failure.

And then other roaches come and eat the dead roach, causing further damage to the population as a whole.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also the rumor pretty much holds true that roaches fucking love this paste. There was one in the sink again, and I put down a tab of it, and it just attacked it. Then I killed it manually. But at least I know it's attractive.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yeah we got some tabs + my dad thought it would be a good idea to get a spray thing

hoping it works

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had roaches real bad when I went back to school. I tried everything for about a month. Traps, killing them, yelling at them, bug spray, cleaning, vaccuuming, crying, boric acid, more bug spray, trying to make them pay rent, not buying food. EVERYTHING. The thing that worked the best was calling the bug guy and saying "I got roaches. Make them go away." It took two visits in two months and about $90 dollars. They sparyed the first time and put some stuff in some shelves. The second time, they sprayed again and used some stuff that didn't kill them at first. It sterilized them, then posioned them before attacking their nervous system and killing them. I'd see a roach wandering around twitching before falling over and dying. It was great. I think the trouble is that most stuff doesn't kill them fast enough, so they have time to reproduce before dying. That why the stuff they had sterilized them first. I was also told to get my neighbor to call too, as the roaches will move out when you start killing them then move back when it's safe. They're crafty!

b0bd0d on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What type of roaches do you have?

roaches.jpg

Extermination depends greatly on the type.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They're predominantly german, but I have seen a couple of the american variety too, I think.

They're far lighter in coloration overall.

e: But not nearly that big in comparison to the german roaches.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    German roaches will range in the size of the one in the picture, to really small. They're really annoying and you'll usually see them running around in packs.

If you do have German roaches, well these little bastards are the hardest to get rid of. However, after what I did, I haven't seen a single one for over 2 months now. Here's my post from another thread.
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Lies, lies. This whole thread is full of them.

I had a German cockroach infestation, for over 2 years, in my small apartment. I tried spraying the whole place, entrances and common spots, with cypermethrine. It kills them effectively, very effectively. But that's all it does, they disappear for 1 or 2 days, and you've got them all over your ass again.

Every night, I'd go get a glass of water, and as soon as I turned the light on, I'd see no less than 50 bastards move around the whole place scurrying to their hiding spot.

I bought roach traps, which are a Godsend device, but only effective against American roaches. The German roaches ignore them completely, or are immune to them.

So for the last 2 years I'd just spray the whole place every week, and have them come back anyways. I pretty much gave up and said "They must be coming in from another apartment (I live on the 3rd floor)."

Then I remembered a bit of advice some dude at a store gave me. He said that "The Gel" is the best solution against German roaches. So I decided to give it a try. It's one of the more expensive solutions out there, but holy crap.

Bayer Maxforce Gel.

Magnum_productshot_2.jpg

The active ingredient seems to be different from the one that I got, but it most probably does the exact same thing. (This one has Fipronil, mine has Hydramethylnon)

I applied the stuff near where these guys liked to be, like the sink, under the sink, near food sources and near the fridge. The product says "Wait 6-8 weeks for results".

I lie not, 5 days later, I didn't see any roaches at all.

Keep applying now and then, you will find the spots where you applied it, to not have any bait anymore, because these guys devour it. For the first few days, they would eat it up completely, so I would reapply. Also, I sprayed my apartment's entrances, to keep potential newcomers away.

I don't keep an exactly clean apartment, there's usually food encrusted plates on the sink, yet I haven't seen any roaches at all. I saw a tiny one today. It's been 3 weeks since I applied the stuff. I spray my doorways and windows every 2 weeks.

No. Roaches.

After 2 years of having a horrible infestation.

As for American roaches, the best solution I've had against them is using Raid Roach Baits, which are those black plastic containers you lay around in your house. They take a while, maybe 2 or 3 weeks, but the only roaches you'll start to see after using them are dead roaches.

Satsumomo on