Options

[APB] There are rules for policeman. Yeah. That's what my captain keeps telling me.

BrianBrian Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
threewolf2.jpg
screenshot00066m.png

http://na.apb.com/en

All Bullet Points

* Retail box release as well as download versions available
* Dynamic Player vs Player driven mission content
* 10,000 concurrent players per server
* 80 players for action districts or 250 players for social districts
* On the run, asymmetrical matchmaking based on player stats
* In game editors include: players, vehicles, music and graphics
* Integrated 3d voice chat
* Integration with http://last.fm technology for in-game soundtrack

PA Clan
Two Days from Retirement, Enforcers on Zombie

Can invite (PA name - APB name):

Decoy - Six
Ein - Ein
Fyction - Fyction
japh - dubsaves
jdarksun - JaneDarksun
mojojoeo - Tastypoison
Transporter - Lolipop
WraithXt1 - Dasaan

Team Rocket (Criminal) on Zombie

Badwrong (*)
Camui (*)
Deadman (*)
Kalianna
Sonork (*)
TyFulsang
Under (*)
Vixxa

(*) can invite, Ventrilo info is in the clan management. Uniforms are not required but will be given to newbies, most likely cause when you group up and see the fun that everyone else has, you will join in!

Now for a list of actives.

ZOMBIE Server

Enforcer:

Gildiss
Dermond

Criminals:

Sonork
Camui
Rallos
DOMO

Brian on

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I play at random ass hours, but don't always get on vent, so don't assume noone's playing

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Yea, I'd rather have just a list of people that play so we can at least be on each others friends lists.

Brian on
  • Options
    TediakTediak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a free trial for this? I've been wanting to check this out but I'm not sure I wanna sink 50 bucks into it without trying it.

Tediak on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    eventually there's going to be some sort of buddy invite system. I'm sure we'll be giving those out like candy when the system starts.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Actually there are buddy invites. For people who have purchased RTW points. Which I did to get more time. I have 5 to give so PM an email.

Gives you
    7 hours of Action District Gametime and unlimited access to the Social District until their trial period ends, which is 5 days from the moment they redeem their Buddy Key.

And whatever you do...
    Group up with PA dudes.
    This game is awesome when played with a group of competent human beings.

Brian on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Can you have opponents on your friends list too?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2010
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Can you have opponents on your friends list too?

Yea, I've got some of the Team Rocket dudes on mine so I know which district has at least 1 fun crim team to fight against.

Brian on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My 2days character is Dermond, and my crim who I haven't really played as is Cyttorak

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm thats a good idea. Some still active TR members would be,

Sonork
    Camui
    Rallos
    DOMO

Sonork on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TidusAndronicus is on TR and showing up almost nightly

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So... the new patch seems to have evened some things out.

Or maybe all the hackers got bored and moved on?

I've enjoyed playing the last couple nights, even when I lost.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'll be on for a few hours, but this comp tends to crash, so if you don't see me, wait a few minutes

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I accidentally clicked into a low pop instance last night, and of the 6 enforcers, 3 had bounties on them. They had some sort of afk deal going on, and I farmed em a bit until one woke up and started firing back. Had fun sneaking in and killing his buddies for a bit, then they all woke up and I'm not near good enough to win 3v1s. The weird thing was they'd have a 5 star level 30-60 seconds after I'd kill them. From the streak messages, they were completing missions really quickly, but I never saw them get kills. What were they doing?

Madpoet on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's a witness exploit.
    Enforcers can witness people breaking into cars 3-4 times a second.
    Enforcers can get to prestige 5 (bountied) from witnessing alone.
    Enforcers make alt crims to start then stop breaking into cars forever.
    Enforcers make $15/3 faction per witness while having a bounty.
    Then they make everything automatic with bots.

I'll always go after them when I see them doing it. It doesn't make it any less depressing seeing being done so widely though.

Sonork on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm sure Ein and I will be back and playing some more when he returns from vacation, but for now I'm too engrossed in my new Xbox360.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh thank god, I was worried Ein had given up the game. You're good too, Rius

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Gee, thanks =P

Yeah, he's on vacation this month and while I do enjoy APB, it's just not the same without him behind the wheel, heh.

Plus, I'm catching up on all the games I always thought I'd enjoy but either never came out on the PC or are just better with a controller. Just played through Splinter Cell: Conviction and I'm playing GTA4 now.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I need to call upon his art skills, because mine are not sufficient to pay the bills. Trying to make my brother a Space Wolves-mobile

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So my Lappy FINALLY comes back from the shop and I am greeted with this damning news- (via kotaku)
    The studio behind ambitious cops and crooks online game APB and the original Crackdown may be on the verge of closure, according to sources claiming to have knowledge of the situation. But developer Realtime Worlds says it's "fully committed" to the massively-multiplayer game.

Realtime Worlds confirmed "expected redundancies" across multiple department at the studios today, chalking up some of the layoffs to restructuring after the launch of APB. The studio offered the following statement to Kotaku.

"Further to the press release issued on the 7th July announcing the post-launch restructure for APB and expected redundancies, the 30-day consultation period with the affected staff has ended," a spokesperson said. "The supporting infrastructure for a game inevitably changes once released, and those staff that couldn't be redeployed to new projects in the Art, Audio, Coding, Design, Production, and QA departments have regrettably been made redundant."

"APB continues to be our primary development focus, and we remain fully committed to the game and its players," the statement reads.

Sources who wished to remain anonymous told Kotaku this week that the cutbacks at Realtime Worlds were expected to have a serious impact on the APB and Project MyWorld teams, with the company's Scottish division possibly closing down altogether. Work on Project MyWorld, the recently revealed "3D social gaming experience," is alleged to be moving to Realtime Worlds' Colorado-based offices.

Currently, the "majority of the company is on gardening leave for 4-8 weeks," that development source claims.

Yesterday, the official APB web site removed the option for three and six month subscription plans. According to a Kotaku reader who spotted the change, "An APB forum moderator said that it wasn't an error and that an announcement would follow." The APB web site is currently offline for maintenance.

Have further details on the situation at Realtime Worlds? Feel free to get in touch.

Soooo yeah. Yikes. Im out of RTW funbucks questioning reupping... is two days still a thing?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wow.

Earlier, APB's website had a splash that it was down for maintenance, but now it's completely dead with just a Service Unavailable error.

Sad... I really enjoyed APB.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fucking christ I hope I'm never "made redundant".

Hope I can still play in a few weeks; I'd really like to give a 3-slot Obeya some time and also drive around in our awesometruck at least once.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MMOs are so F'd up. A company dumps a BOATLOAD of money into it upfront. Has a poor launch and it all goes to crap in a hurry. Theres little chance for a sleeper hit due to the up front cost and time investment.. And nearly all of them have mismanagement to degree.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I love APB's concept, too. Like, I enjoy playing this game. I want to play it some more. But it has gotten pretty terrible rep from all the stories about cheating and all the exploits.

It is kinda low on actual content, too.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    I love APB's concept, too. Like, I enjoy playing this game. I want to play it some more. But it has gotten pretty terrible rep from all the stories about cheating and all the exploits.

It is kinda low on actual content, too.

agreed. Ive been gone due to a broken vid card. Am bummed.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Apparently APB is still on go ahead. Here's Patch 1.4.1 preview.
    We''re pleased to announce that the PTW is will be back online from Tuesday 17th!

The PTW (Public Test World) is where we get you, the players, to try out the latest changes and give us feedback before a patch goes live. With the return of the PTW we decided that you should try out the latest and greatest patch, 1.4.1! This isn''t just another set of bug fixes this is the beginning of some of the most fundamental changes to date. These are the APB features you''ve been waiting for!

So without further ado, enjoy a sneak peak of what to expect when we open the doors to the PTW next week!

Combat and Gameplay has been updated!
    Gameplay has been improved to produce a smooth, immersive, and skill-based combat.

* Vehicle handling has been improved.
    * All weapons have been rebalanced and now include recoil.
    * All weapons fire out to 100 meters.
    * All weapon audio has been updated.
    * Audio in marksmanship has been altered subtly.
    * Crouch is now client-side predicted.
    * Accuracy modifier on sprinting.
    * Accuracy now regains over time rather than instantly.
    * Weapons can be switched during the re-fire timer.
    * Default mouse sensitivity is lower.
    * Time for open world vehicle break-ins has been lowered from 10 to 3 seconds.
    * Arrest and Rescue times have been lowered.
    * Vehicle husks now block weapons fire.
    * Field of view is now weapon specific.
    * Hit VFX should now align with the direction of the weapons fire correctly.
    * Upon purchasing a new weapon players are offered the option to auto-equip that item.

Matchmaking
    Accepting missions and backup has now been replaced with a Ready/Not Ready setting which anyone who plays online games will be fairly familiar with. Each individual group member can toggle their status to ''Ready'' and when all players in the group are ''Ready'', the group as a whole is considered eligible for a match. The matchmaking system will then select a suitable mission/dispatch and automatically put the group on that mission. At the end of the mission, all players return automatically to ''Not Ready'' to allow time to re-supply, re-spawn cars etc. The group can then set themselves back to ''Ready'' for their next mission, allowing the group to set its own pace.

* Players can no longer deliver open -world items during missions.
    * Players who are low threat and playing solo will receive no dispatches against them and will instead join the group who are being dispatched against opposition. The exception being that solo players can still be dispatched against when a bounty is placed on them.
    * Bounty Missions are only generated as a result of witnessing by Enforcers
    * Criminal vs. Criminal Matches have been disabled

Information

* The /Help command has been added. This will now display the full list of slash commands available to players.
    * A new set of dynamic tooltips have been added to the loading screens in order to remind new and old players alike of some of APB''s more subtle features.

Mirroring Garage Decals
    Players are now able to mirror decals on both sides of a vehicle.

Advanced Graphics Options
    An advanced graphics menu has been added to the video settings page of the options menu. This sub-menu features the following graphical options:

* Dynamic Shadows
    * Environment Shadows
    * Ambient Occlusion
    * High-Quality Bloom
    * Distortion Value
    * Anisotropy
    * Anti Aliasing

VOIP Improvements
    We have made further improvements to the in-game VOIP system in order to address some of the issues players have been experiencing during play. These include:

* An issue where players lost VoIP when district switching has now been resolved.
    * PTT functionality has been improved.
    * Various VOIP related crashes have been resolved.
    * The accuracy of the VoIP status indicators has been improved.
    * Player- controlled microphone sensitivity options have been added.

Improved HUD Messaging
    We are reworking the way in which PvP kills are conveyed to the player. This will supply players with valuable information as to what weapons both opposing and friendly players are using, without the need to manually enter the scoreboard.

New Content
    We have introduced some fun new content for players to use in the form of clothing items, clothing presets, vehicle kits, vehicle presets, symbols, instrument packs and new songs. These additions comprise of the following:

* Trilby hat
    * Cowboy hat
    * Beret hat
    * 8 New preset outfits (one outfit per gender, per organization)
    * Pet Vet Shop symbol set
    * Zen Pack symbol set
    * Funky Beasts symbol set
    * 4 New vehicle body modding kits
    * 4 New vehicle presets (one preset per organization)
    * 4 New original songs created with the new instrument packs
    * New original song composed and produced by the UK music producer ‘Nocturnal’
    * Nocturnal Instrument Pack: Bees Synth, DrumKit, Drum/Lead, Orchestra, OrchestraHit (OrchHit), Rise Synth, Bass, Sub Bass, Synth Arp(Arpergiator), StacString (Staccato String)
    * Wilson LeBoyce Instrument Pack: Guitar, Drum Kit, Organ, Bass, Clavinet
    * Simon Tran Instrument Pack: Bass, DrumKit, Harp, Lead synth, Strings, Synth
    * Double B InstrumentPack: DrumKit, Guitar, SFX, Synth_Bass, Synth_Lead
    * Britney BloodRose InstrumentPack: DrumKit, Bass, Guitar, Strings

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Via Bluesnews : "VG247's sources also indicate the Scotland-based developer may be seeking to sell the APB property in its entirety."

please not SOE, please not SOE, please not SOE

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Apparently APB is still on go ahead. Here's Patch 1.4.1 preview.
    Combat and Gameplay has been updated!
    Gameplay has been improved to produce a smooth, immersive, and skill-based combat.

* Vehicle handling has been improved.
    * All weapons have been rebalanced and now include recoil.
    * All weapons fire out to 100 meters.
    * All weapon audio has been updated.
    * Audio in marksmanship has been altered subtly.
    * Crouch is now client-side predicted.
    * Accuracy modifier on sprinting.
    * Accuracy now regains over time rather than instantly.
    * Weapons can be switched during the re-fire timer.
    * Default mouse sensitivity is lower.
    * Time for open world vehicle break-ins has been lowered from 10 to 3 seconds.
    * Arrest and Rescue times have been lowered.
    * Vehicle husks now block weapons fire.
    * Field of view is now weapon specific.
    * Hit VFX should now align with the direction of the weapons fire correctly.
    * Upon purchasing a new weapon players are offered the option to auto-equip that item.

Advanced Graphics Options
    An advanced graphics menu has been added to the video settings page of the options menu. This sub-menu features the following graphical options:

* Dynamic Shadows
    * Environment Shadows
    * Ambient Occlusion
    * High-Quality Bloom
    * Distortion Value
    * Anisotropy
    * Anti Aliasing

ALL of that stuff is good, but it's hard for me to understand why what I limed wasn't in to begin with. "All weapons firing out to 100 meters" is.... interesting, to say the least. I hope that weapons have severe damage falloffs beyond their effective ranges; if I'm still getting outsniped by the N-Tec at 60-70 meters then I'm going to have some issues.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Firing out to 100 meters does not equal doing tangible damage at 100 meters.

I hope. o_O

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I was using the Star earlier today and it was pretty rockin'. Decent rate of fire and virtually no bloom. Not as great up close

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/35644/Breaking-Realtime-Worlds-enters-administration

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-17-apb-and-crackdown-dev-collapses

Well that was fast.

tl;dr: RTW is insolvent; has gone into administrative receivership and the APB team is gone by the end of the week.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I can't wait for SOE to buy APB and then completely and willingly neglect and underfund this game just like Vanguard so it can't compete for subscriptions for EQ or EQ2.

Brian on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    RTW has been trying to sell APB for weeks, probably a month or more. If nobody's bought it by now, nobody probably will. Besides, SOE's not really in the business of buying failed MMOs and sticking them on the Station Pass anymore now that they have DCUO coming up before long, Planetside 2 in development, and The Agency and EQ2 struggling to make ends meet.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I uninstalled this last night.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Planetside 2 is in development what?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Planetside 2 is in development what?

http://www.massively.com/2009/09/27/wishes-come-do-true-planetside-2/

From everything I've heard it's been in quiet development for quite a while.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm kinda sad for APB's failure. Seems they just didn't take into account how online gamers would basically find every mechanic that was open to exploit in their game, then exploit it.

They left their game open to serious abuses which in turn made the game incredibly unfun to play at times. Especially for new players. Being unable to prevent, then slow to react to hacking, griefing, afk farming and the general doucheness of their playerbase. This all leads to people not having fun, which will be bad for any PVP only mmo that relies on warm bodies to continue to function.

THe last couple days me and camui have played we just drive around doing missions unopposed until we're tired of not doing anything and log. WE get around 2-3 missions vs players in about an hours worth of playing. It's sad. Especailly since they turned off crim vs crim and theor seems to be an enforcer shortage. All i see now are people farming the leaderboards with friends, hackers, car farming during missions and lots of new players getting abused by all of this.

The next patch can't come soon enough, not that it will matter much probobly.

Sonork on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sonork wrote: »
    I'm kinda sad for APB's failure. Seems they just didn't take into account how online gamers would basically find every mechanic that was open to exploit in their game, then exploit it.

They left their game open to serious abuses which in turn made the game incredibly unfun to play at times. Especially for new players. Being unable to prevent, then slow to react to hacking, griefing, afk farming and the general doucheness of their playerbase. This all leads to people not having fun, which will be bad for any PVP only mmo that relies on warm bodies to continue to function.

THe last couple days me and camui have played we just drive around doing missions unopposed until we're tired of not doing anything and log. WE get around 2-3 missions vs players in about an hours worth of playing. It's sad. Especailly since they turned off crim vs crim and theor seems to be an enforcer shortage. All i see now are people farming the leaderboards with friends, hackers, car farming during missions and lots of new players getting abused by all of this.

The next patch can't come soon enough, not that it will matter much probobly.

To be fair a lot of MMOs fall into that trap. I played WAR and CO in the last few years and both had those issues out the wazoo. People will trip and fall all over each other in the rush to get more wins than each other in an online game of no importance that they would be ashamed to admit they even play to real life friends. It makes no sense, but developers had better get used to it, because it happens every time.

And mind you, while in WAR the PvP was the beginning and end of the game, in CO it was almost totally pointless. A couple awful costume pieces and some substandard gear which has never been fixed. But they still do it.

Developers need to wise up and realize they will have to deal with it, and if they're not willing to or don't have the resources to, to stop development of a bad idea.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I mostly enjoyed WAR when I played it. Got my Marauder to 40, but the PvE was too horrible to bother doing and the RVR rewards from keeps were based of contribution, which was(at the time) found to mean "Show up and you may get something regardless if you did anything. GL HF". Which basically told me they didn't know wtf they were doing end game progression wise.

Oh yeah, BW were so goddamn broken it tipped the scale into the "fuck this game" area and that was the end of WAR for me.

Anyways APB, yeah problems. ect.

Sonork on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's a shame.

Seems like what's his name was right and I just seem to be attracted to bad MMOs.

Looks like we may end up with a new "shortest MMO" record.

That being said, I would not be surprised if someone picked it up from RTW on the cheap just to take the character creator and put it into a much more successful vehicle.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sucks. I really like this game, even with the flaws.

I guess because I'm not the type of person that actively looks for ways to exploit a game, I managed to turn a blind eye to it for a long time, but, yeah, like Sonork said, all I've seen the last couple days is utter fail.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg