As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[APB] There are rules for policeman. Yeah. That's what my captain keeps telling me.

• HykuHyku Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lol, what depth of combat? Honestly beyond equipping the best gun putting your mouse over the "Bad Guy" and hitting the left mouse button several times a second/holding it down.... Its freaking hitscan with a single hitbox and launched without even freaking recoil! Yes that and 4v4/2 maps was a freaking joke...

All the battlefields back to 1942 allowed for you to snipe through vehicle windows AND supported greater numbers than 4v4 AND modeled gun recoil/sights/aiming AND had more than 2 maps AND had a progression that made more sense than you become an unstoppable killing machine at Level X to Level Y.

Honestly go play Wolfenstein : ET and you will play a game with more options, maps, shooter mechanics, better mission design/class balance in a freaking game that was released FREE in 2003...

Car racing mechanics while fun would not hide the fact that they tried to roll out a steaming pile of 90's action and were surprised when people didn't jump at it.

This game was a sad joke as an FPS, a sad sad joke.

Hyku on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It was never an FPS, nor was it intended to be. It was an MMO with real-time shootan as opposed to cast times and shit.

Granted, it didn't do that particularly well, either--but comparing APB to FPS games is a bit like comparing Burnout to flight simulators because sometimes you make some sweet jumps that go super high, bro

except Burnout doesn't suck and Criterion didn't go out of business ololo

Senshi on
    edited September 2010
    Every ad I saw sold it as an FPS, including the wonderful developer interviews. You lack insta cast skills, auto attack and every other staple of vanilla MMO combat.

Call it what you want though, they launched with 90's mechanics and this is the steaming pile that resulted. I'm not comparing it to MW2 or Bad company 2, I'm comparing it to FPS's from 7-10 years ago... Compare FFXIV to RPG games from 10 years ago and you will be pleasantly surprised at the depth they have worked into the RPG aspect of the game comparatively.

The fact that people step up and defend the fact that $20 budget shooters from 7 years ago contained more polished/balanced mechanics than a 100 million dollar MMO, well that just makes me shake my head...

Hyku on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dude, where is your anger coming from? Did you play the game and were disappointed? Or have you never played it and you enjoy railing on it now that it's gone? I don't understand where your rage is coming from. You seem to be blowing up just for the sake of blowing up and mocking a game you have no real right to mock; at least not this vehemently.

APB had simplistic mechanics. It was an MMOTPS, not an FPS. Guess what? It was also fun, fun enough for Ein and I to stay up late many nights playing it. I think we can all agree that the game felt unfinished and needed (a lot) of work; guess what? So did WoW when it first came out. If you look at WoW today, it is a massively different beast than it was when it came out.

Blizzard is a big enough company and WoW was a big enough game that it got all the time and money it needed to grow into what it is today. APB did not have those advantages. I will concede that APB was not a strong value for the money that it cost, both to develop and to play. But that doesn't mean it wasn't fun, and that doesn't mean I don't miss it.

Rius on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hyku wrote: »
    ECompare FFXIV to RPG games from 10 years ago and you will be pleasantly surprised at the depth they have worked into the RPG aspect of the game comparatively.
    You're honestly holding FF14 up as an example of progress?

Glal on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    The big mistake was having an actual tier system of unlocks that made you more "powerful" rather than creating more options.

You would actually unlock better weapons, rather than different weapons.

Yup, definately one of the highest reasons on the chart. They tried to mimic WoW style items progression without thinking it through to WHY an FPS shouldn't really have that.

Damn sad that Krunk even posted a large thing on it back in Beta, and well...

I'm still pissed about it!

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited September 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    ECompare FFXIV to RPG games from 10 years ago and you will be pleasantly surprised at the depth they have worked into the RPG aspect of the game comparatively.
    You're honestly holding FF14 up as an example of progress?

This struck me as ludicrous, as well.

Rius on
    edited September 2010
    Oh snap! Yes I am honestly holding it up, you have several story lines with cut scenes and structured missions all rolled into the standard MMO fare. As a logical step over the wall of text for quests that do little to expand the immersion of the world from previous MMO's I would say it is progress in every sense. I was looking for a recent release that launched and integrated its genre into the actual game in a progressive way. But I guess we can find out in 2 months if it holds up, eh?

Yah I'm pissed, they had the development dollars, sold it as a dynamic real world online shooter with MMO progression/competitive quests... But gave you a 2 map, instanced, 4v4, unbalanced MMO with shooter mechanics from the 90's.

Yes I played WoW at launch, and yes it took several months before they finished implementing the features they promised at launch. PvP had no rewards, no maps and the Horde didn't even have several of the city arc quests that Order did... But the mechanics were what they wanted, they didn't launch an overhaul of how the game played, they just added the missing content.

Ignoring the 2 maps, horrible imbalance of later weapons and the fact that you start repeating content 2 hours in, the thing that disappointed me most by far was the actual mechanics. I loaded it up and felt like I was back playing doom 2, except doom 2's multiplayer allowed for larger multiplayer battles...

Could people have fun playing it, sure. Can I be upset that I followed this game and believed what they sold as a dynamic large scale world where you would be battling large guilds of police/criminals in a struggle for the city, where twitch based shooter skills would be the determining factor?

Capitalization wasn't the problem here, horribad management and unbelievable design choices was...

Hyku on
    edited September 2010
    Oh snap! Yes I am honestly holding it up, you have several story lines with cut scenes and structured missions all rolled into the standard MMO fare. As a logical step over the wall of text for quests that do little to expand the immersion of the world from previous MMO's I would say it is progress in every sense. I was looking for a recent release that launched and integrated its genre into the actual game in a progressive way. But I guess we can find out in 2 months if it holds up, eh?

Ok, seriously, no joke; FFXI did/does the exact same thing. This isn't innovation; it's the same sort of thing that Square started doing nearly a decade ago. You can't point to FFXIV as innovation then use an example of something that isn't new at all. Also, what role does your character play in all of those cutscenes? No role at all. You're either watching something that happened when you weren't around or before you were born, or you're standing in the corner while the big NPCs talk to each other. I wouldn't call that immersion.

Rius on
    edited September 2010
    Lol, I'm not discussing what FFXI has done nor what WoW/any other MMO has integrated. As I said if you compare FFXIV to a RPG from 10 years ago you would find many of the concepts integrated into as a MMO today. This isn't a statement that FFXIV is the ultimate MMO or APB should have taken their ideas, once again all I was stating is that APB failed to deliver on the mechanics of its Genre from budget games in the past decade. FFXIV was an example of a game that launched recently that has integrated ideas from the past decade...

Hate FFXIV all you want, thats cool.

Calling APB a non-FPS MMO is a joke, they sold it as such every chance they had.

Jones said the action-heavy MMO would endure for the same reasons Valve's long-lasting FPS Counter-Strike has. He claims it'll include elements that made the shooter so successful, such as frantic, addictive game play, as well as "leagues and stats and achievements." See, here we thought people loved Counter-Strike because it let you spray paint private parts onto battlefield walls. Our mistake. Interview from Joystiq in 2009.

http://www.pakistan.tv/videos-inside-gaming-exclusive-gamescom-interview-apb-%5B0IIaU8kXHHs%5D.cfm - Developer interview, 20 v 20! Full district fights! Yah that stuff sure made it into the game.

http://e3.g4tv.com/videos/38782/APB-Preview/ - Talks wonderfully how this game will bring counterstrike to the MMO world...

Yup they sure didn't try to sell it as an FPS...

Hyku on
    edited September 2010
    Sigh.
    Bash.Org wrote:
    <Deviant> Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Either you're pissed off about a game that's gone and therefore doesn't really need to be argued about, or you're trolling. I think I'm done here.

Rius on
    edited September 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    Sigh.
    Bash.Org wrote:
    <Deviant> Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Either you're pissed off about a game that's gone and therefore doesn't really need to be argued about, or you're trolling. I think I'm done here.

Ouch those were my feelings.. *sniffle* yup still hate it :P

Oh and lol at actually discussing it, oh well insults are easy than reading I guess.

Hyku on
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It... did have more than 4v4. It's just that people would turn down the backup requests, so it was rare to actually have it scale up, but it was possible.
    And really, 2 maps? There were 3 :D
    But seriously, sure, it only had "2" maps, but there was enough space in each map that they effectively contained well over 12 or so unique locations, such that had they been doing counterstrike or something, they would actually have shipped with about 24ish maps balanced roughly around 8v8ish size. Of which everyone would have just loaded de_dust, and it wouldn't have mattered how many maps they shipped with.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
    edited September 2010
    So the stuff you're linking to basically say they incorporated elements of CS into APB. Putting guns and "frantic, addictive game play" into a third-person MMO does not magically turn it into an FPS game.

But bro we get that u mad

we just don't seem to understand y u mad tho

(Also, I think people are ignoring your, uh, arguments because they're not making much sense. Claiming it was marketed as an FPS and then providing links to "supporting evidence" that indicates nothing of the sort is pretty weak, bro. You know what FPS stands for, right?)

Senshi on
    edited September 2010
    Senshi wrote: »
    So the stuff you're linking to basically say they incorporated elements of CS into APB. Putting guns and "frantic, addictive game play" into a third-person MMO does not magically turn it into an FPS game.

(Also, I think people are ignoring your, uh, arguments because they're not making much sense. Claiming it was marketed as an FPS and then providing links to "supporting evidence" that indicates nothing of the sort is pretty weak, bro. You know what FPS stands for, right?)

No worries, for me it simply boils down to what they marketed it as and then what they launched. I'm pretty sure I could link all the preview interviews where they mentioned CS and APB as many times as possible, but really I don't care beyond this, you loved your "game".

Oh and yes FPS stands for First Person Shooter! Yay me! In pre-launch marketing they claimed the game would contain the mechanics of an FPS in the wonderous world of an MMO...

It was shiny and the character creator was amazing, I'll give you that. I just wish they had delivered on 1/10th of the developers promises.

Obviously I am in the minority of players who were led to believe the game would be something other than it was, please enjoy playing your fantastically successful game. Oh wait... o_O

Hyku on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    Stop being a dick.

A duck! on
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hyku is right about everything.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
    edited September 2010

No worries, for me it simply boils down to what they marketed it as and then what they launched. I'm pretty sure I could link all the preview interviews where they mentioned CS and APB as many times as possible, but really I don't care beyond this, you loved your "game".

Oh and yes FPS stands for First Person Shooter! Yay me! In pre-launch marketing they claimed the game would contain the mechanics of an FPS in the wonderous world of an MMO...

It was shiny and the character creator was amazing, I'll give you that. I just wish they had delivered on 1/10th of the developers promises.

Obviously I am in the minority of players who were led to believe the game would be something other than it was, please enjoy playing your fantastically successful game. Oh wait... o_O

I loved the game? Man, I played the beta and hated it after three sessions. I think the problem here is that yes, you were a part of the group of people that was thick enough to see "elements of CS" and automatically assume that APB was intended to be some sort of MMO FPS wunderkind. The rest of us rightfully saw it as a MMOTPS with heavy personal customization. Not CS-meets-MMO, but GTA-meets-MMO.

Guess you weren't really bright enough to pick up on that.

Senshi on
    edited September 2010
    An EA Customer Chat representative just gave me a free copy of Mass Effect 2 as a consolation prize for APB's collapse. He offered a copy of any currently released EA Store-available game, so that's what I picked. I would rather have had a credit for Dead Space 2 or NFS: Hot Pursuit, but this is pretty good.

Head to support.ea.com/chat and talk to a rep; if you can provide proof that you purchased APB (I uploaded a screenshot of the chat session and my Steam games list) you will be given a code to use in the EA Download Manager to add a game to your account.

Rius on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did you buy the game through Steam? Or from the EA store then added it to steam?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited September 2010
    I bought it through Steam, but I got the impression that any purchase method was fine as long as you could prove your proof of purchase.

Rius on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010

Ok, seriously, no joke; FFXI did/does the exact same thing. This isn't innovation; it's the same sort of thing that Square started doing nearly a decade ago. You can't point to FFXIV as innovation then use an example of something that isn't new at all. Also, what role does your character play in all of those cutscenes? No role at all. You're either watching something that happened when you weren't around or before you were born, or you're standing in the corner while the big NPCs talk to each other. I wouldn't call that immersion.
    this is an incorrect statement.

Grath on
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Grath wrote: »

this is an incorrect statement.
    Only if it's actually immersive, which in the case of FFXIV, it wasn't. At all. I, personally, was too busy hiding my embarrassment over the horrible voice acting and overtly Japanese mannerisms, hoping no one passed by me to ask what I was doing.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    That's great. It would be even greater in the FFXIV thread. Which this isn't.

A duck! on
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jobastion wrote: »

Good luck to whoever gets it, if anyone gets it, and hopefully resurrects it. It still has a lot of potential.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Shut the front door!

APB back up by the end of the year?!

I can't believe the price they got the right to the game for. Craziness I tell you.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Probably going to be F2P when it comes back, eh? Good idea, as I suspect a sub fee would just kill it again instantly. I know next to nothing about the purchasing company though, so I don't know if they have a good track record managing games they didn't develop themselves (and pvp games take a LOT of balancing/bugfixing attention).

With lotro, co, and now apb turning into F2P titles I guess it really IS the new way to go. While I agree it makes business sense in this environment, I preferred sub fee games to be honest, but as that escapist editorial the other day said, it seems WoW has devoured the only playerbase that sub fees are feasible with.

Astale on
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Giant bomb is reporting the figure closer to 2.4 million. The articles are only mentioning "Rights to the game", so I don't know if they are getting any customer data or the hardware that ran the game. Still getting something that burnt through $100 million that cheap is a steal.

I don't think its really a matter of the subscription model becoming outdated, its just that no other company has managed to put out a quality product that competes with WoW. You have games like Warhammer Online at the same price-point trying to attract customers with less content, and gameplay that not only had to compete with WoW but with older games like DAoC.

APB started out with barely enough content to keep people playing through their initial $50 purchase period and had a subscription after that. It was doomed before it ever launched.

nonoffensive on
    edited November 2010
    See, problem I have with that argument is, I've subbed to WoW for a month to try it out (and bought the expansions, which was a stupid idea) and I thought it was awful, not worth 15$ a month. So when anyone goes "the other games aren't worth 15bux a month like WoW is!" I kinda roll my eyes. I get the fact a lot of people like it because, well, tons of other people play it, so you'll never be bored alone out in the wastes, but as a stand-alone game I fail to see the appeal at all.

So I guess we're going to have to disagree on that.

Astale on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Giant bomb is reporting the figure closer to 2.4 million. The articles are only mentioning "Rights to the game", so I don't know if they are getting any customer data or the hardware that ran the game. Still getting something that burnt through $100 million that cheap is a steal.

Jesus Christ, that is a steal, considering the game took $100 million to make.

It also just goes to show you how flawed the product's development truly was, and how badly they managed their funding.

Melkster on
  • SygnonSygnon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    f2p games are notorious for hacking, so it looks like its going right back into the shitter it came out of

Sygnon on
    b0b11710e1ddcbfc1958f52a53cb7566.png
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sygnon wrote: »
    f2p games are notorious for hacking, so it looks like its going right back into the shitter it came out of

Just because it's F2P doesn't mean it's going to be hacker central.

APB had hacking issues because it was coded badly in defending against them, and the CS department was crappy at dealing with them. A proper CS team and a decent anti-hacking program or bit of code to handle it would do alot more to deal with the issue then what's been done before.

Archonex on
    edited November 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    See, problem I have with that argument is, I've subbed to WoW for a month to try it out (and bought the expansions, which was a stupid idea) and I thought it was awful, not worth 15$ a month. So when anyone goes "the other games aren't worth 15bux a month like WoW is!" I kinda roll my eyes. I get the fact a lot of people like it because, well, tons of other people play it, so you'll never be bored alone out in the wastes, but as a stand-alone game I fail to see the appeal at all.

Actually, I'm pretty sure people like it because there's a rich endgame user experience and getting there isn't very grueling--fun, even. You would know this if you had played it for more than a month. It may not be your cup of tea, but that doesn't equate to it being an "awful" game.

The ridiculously high production value and variety of content that caters to a number of different audiences (casuals, theorycrafters, hardcore players, e-sports wannabes, Gordon Gekko types) is second to none. I'd say that the only reason most sub-based games die quickly when in competition with WoW is because the product is inferior. As cool and edgy as you are for disliking the most popular game in the world (and I'm not even sure if that's hyperbole at this point), you can't argue with the fact that it sells, sells well, and sells well because it's a better product than its competitors, competitors such as...

APB, a game that was dogshit during the beta, dogshit at launch, dogshit during its record-breakingly pathetic life, and will still be dogshit when (if) it becomes free to play. The 2.4 million pricetag is a pretty good indicator of this.

Senshi on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I would hope they got the user accounts. I mean, think about it.

Do you imagine anyone will go to the store and plunk down $50 on this twice?

Scooter on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Well to be fair, APB isn't worth the $15 like WoW is.
    I mean, this has pretty much been proven.
    I mean, WoW didn't charge me to make my bag, then charge me to list it, then charge me to unlist it, then charge me to...
    It was kind of funny how many things they tried to charge for, even if it was just in-game currency (that could be easily replenished with REAL currency!)
    Hate WoW all you want, but clearly they're doing SOMETHING to be worth $15 a month.

The Muffin Man on
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Scooter wrote: »

I would hope they got the user accounts. I mean, think about it.

Do you imagine anyone will go to the store and plunk down $50 on this twice?

Well, its free to play, so no one needs to buy it ever again. But it'd be nice not to lose your levels and equipment, not to mention all the customized stuff.

nonoffensive on
    edited November 2010

Actually, I'm pretty sure people like it because there's a rich endgame user experience and getting there isn't very grueling--fun, even. You would know this if you had played it for more than a month. It may not be your cup of tea, but that doesn't equate to it being an "awful" game.

The ridiculously high production value and variety of content that caters to a number of different audiences (casuals, theorycrafters, hardcore players, e-sports wannabes, Gordon Gekko types) is second to none. I'd say that the only reason most sub-based games die quickly when in competition with WoW is because the product is inferior. As cool and edgy as you are for disliking the most popular game in the world (and I'm not even sure if that's hyperbole at this point), you can't argue with the fact that it sells, sells well, and sells well because it's a better product than its competitors, competitors such as...

APB, a game that was dogshit during the beta, dogshit at launch, dogshit during its record-breakingly pathetic life, and will still be dogshit when (if) it becomes free to play. The 2.4 million pricetag is a pretty good indicator of this.

I think it's awful, which is an opinion, and if you're going to go around defending WoW all your life, you are going to have a busy schedule. You like it, that's cool, I liken it to McDonalds, popular but essentially garbage with a good marketing campaign. If my opinion bothers you in some way, well, get over it. If it makes you feel better that's the opinion I have of 90% of MMOs when it comes down to it.
    Well to be fair, APB isn't worth the $15 like WoW is.
    I mean, this has pretty much been proven.
    I mean, WoW didn't charge me to make my bag, then charge me to list it, then charge me to unlist it, then charge me to...
    It was kind of funny how many things they tried to charge for, even if it was just in-game currency (that could be easily replenished with REAL currency!)
    Hate WoW all you want, but clearly they're doing SOMETHING to be worth $15 a month.

Ah, now here we go. I totally get where you're coming from, and I agree, APB isn't worth the 15$ comparitively. My problem is just that I don't think WoW really is either, nor for that matter, pretty much every other MMO out there. And 15$ isn't really a lot for the majority of people. That's the cost of a single non-fast-food meal in most places, so I think if someone is being particular about the cost, then MMOs are probably not something they should be playing at all. Course these days the most 'bang for your buck' (for the publishers) new MMOs are supposedly the F2P ones anyways, so we'll probably see more of those.

Astale on
    edited November 2010

I think it's awful, which is an opinion, and if you're going to go around defending WoW all your life, you are going to have a busy schedule. You like it, that's cool, I liken it to McDonalds, popular but essentially garbage with a good marketing campaign. If my opinion bothers you in some way, well, get over it. If it makes you feel better that's the opinion I have of 90% of MMOs when it comes down to it.

it's not your opinion that bothers me, it's the fact that you respond to a reasonable argument with lolopinions. You certainly aren't the only one who dislikes WoW, and while I won't deny that it's essentially a massive circlegrind where you do the same thing week in and week out in order to progress to another level of repetitiveness, it is by far the most comprehensive and polished MMO in the market right now. If there had been a better game, people would be playing it. Evidently, they're not.

It would be prudent at this point to ask what the 10% of MMOs you actually do enjoy are, if indeed there are any at all.

Senshi on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think the WoW = McDonald's comparison is pretty good, actually. It's the most popular dining choice around but that doesn't make it necessarily the best.

I'd say the only 3 MMOs worth paying money for are LotRO, CoX, and WoW, but I don't ever see myself playing WoW again personally.

Scooter on