As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RPG Maker VX: Make Monsters A Beer!

samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
vx.jpg

Pixel Art is Awesome!

This thread is for the RPG Maker VX. It's a game maker system that allows you to build Role Playing Games like Golden Sun or classic Final Fantasy games without any programming knowledge. This is the latest series of RPG Makers and the only one that is compatible with Vista and Windows 7. While the system itself is solid and workable, it also allows more advance settings with the RGSS2 Script Writer which allow programmers to "Modify" the program to customize the game. You can find almost every script you will ever need on the internet, I myself is currently using the Yanfly Engine Melody Script that added things like new stats, changing the way random encounters are done, battle views and menus, and even allows for 8 directional character sprites. Plus the guy who wrote it placed notes through out the script so even a person with no programming experience (me), could work with it.

The RPG Maker VX Program can be found here. It comes with a 30 day trial version and is about $60 to buy the full version.

The Yanfly Engine Melody Script can be found here. It's a game made from RPG Maker VX and you can test out the engine from it then open the game, look at the script, and copy/paste them to your game. He only wishes that you give him credit for the engine for any game you make.

Gubid Tactical Battle System is a script for Final Fantasy Tactics style games. Just like with Yanfly Engine Melody, you copy the script to your game and mess with it until it's close to the kind of game you want to make.

Requiem ABS 9 allows for Legend of Zelda/Secret of Mana style battle system. You battle in real time and can control your main character or whole party depending on how you use the script. 2D Dragon Age: Origins, anyone?

Beginner's Guide to RPG Maker VX. This is how I learned the basics. This guy goes through a tutorial of the system by showing step by step how to make a small sample game.

This is the forum RPG RPG Revolution. It covers RPG Makers, Game Maker, Engine001, and other game maker programs. This page here is for creating events for random things like Fable Good and Evil paths, Fishing events, Bounty Hunting and some more basic tutorials.

The RPG Maker VX official forums. There is great info about games already created, custom sprites, troubleshooting, ect. However I find these forums to be very messy and difficult to search through and really makes you give thanks to the Moderators here in PA for having the rules that they do.

This site here creates the character sprites that you use for the game. It works kinda like a dress up game. You pick hair, clothes, headgear, ect. and then save the sprite onto your computer. This site is translated from Japanese.

Of course we can't end this without the system requirements so that you know this will even work for your computer.

System Requirements
Minimum

* Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 2000 / XP / Vista / 7
* 1.0 GHz Intel(R) Pentium(R) III equivalent or higher processor
* 256MB of system RAM
* 1024x768 or better video resolution
* 100MB available hard disk space
* Sound card (necessary)

Recommended

* Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP / Vista
* PC with 2.0 GHz Intel(R) Pentium(R)4 equivalent or higher processor
* 512MB of system RAM
* 1280x1024 or better video resolution
* 100MB available hard disk space

Rules for this thread because things could get messy quickly.

1) Follow all PA and G&T rules. We don't want people talking about the "T-word" and causing this thread and the people in it problems.

2) Any sprites posting must be in Spoilers. Large groups of sprites can cause you to scroll for days and we all know we want to see them but we want to be able to read this thread too.

3) If you have any questions on troubleshooting a problem, post in Orange so we can see them. I plan on creating a troubleshooting post here so we can easily see them and don't ask the same question 20 times in 5 pages.

4) Feel free to post your finish games or demo of your games, as long as they are free and you only do it once. PM me if you like and I'll make a list of links to your games. I find that seeing the insides of someone's game helps solves some of your programming/event creating questions and inspires you to create your own.

So now, what are you going to make?

samurai6966 on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Reserved for Troubleshooting Questions

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heh. I once tooled around with a version of RPG Maker ages ago. Didn't get much further than throwing together a prologue and the first dungeon, though.

I also remember being impressed by an unfinished sci-fi game someone else made. 'The Thin Line', I think it was called. Something like that anyway.
    It opens up with a number of agents trying and failing to stop some dude from cutting loose a space colony and killing everyone on it. Then the actual game turns out to be you playing as that dude in an extended flashback, showing just why he decided to cut loose that space colony and kill everyone. Unfortunately, the game never got that far what with it being unfinished and all.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A friend of mine was able to do awesome things with this, including making battles action RPG related.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm. I never was able to track down any of the older RPG makers. I might give this a shot.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I've seen alot of Part 1 of some games that are now years old. The people working on them just either are working on them and haven't said anything or got bored with making the game and quit mid-project. My biggest problem right now (since I picked this thing up last week and I'm still using the trial version) is that I'm not sure what I want to make. It's like going into a candy store and not knowing what sugary blast of goodness you want.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I asked that before but does someone have a list of the best games made with the maker. I have always liked to play many german rpg-maker games since they were more than a nice time waster but I don't know anything about good international games apart from 3-4 that were mentioned.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hmm. I never was able to track down any of the older RPG makers. I might give this a shot.

I messed with XP back in high school but it was kinda messy compared to VX. The new system seems prettier and cleaner to me.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So are we still stuck with Dragon Quest-style battles, or are side view Final Fantasy-like battles an option now? I know people where able to create such systems themselves, but I'm not that talented.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    I asked that before but does someone have a list of the best games made with the maker. I have always liked to play many german rpg-maker games since they were more than a nice time waster but I don't know anything about good international games apart from 3-4 that were mentioned.

A list of completed games from the RPG VX official website.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The scripting language for this (I think it's called Melody?) looks very Python'ish.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    So are we still stuck with Dragon Quest-style battles, or are side view Final Fantasy-like battles an option now? I know people where able to create such systems themselves, but I'm not that talented.

There were some awesome systems created. I always liked this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ZAcQwN-HQ

Shame the game is on hold for years now.

C2B on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I registered RPG Maker XP, and while I haven't followed VX's development since the demo, I didn't see large enough improvements to warrant spending another $60 for the upgrade.

So if you already have XP, try the VX demo first, but if you don't, just go straight to VX as it does polish some rough edges (like setting up item icons, aaargh).

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited August 2010

The Yanfly Engine Melody Script gives you the options of the Dragon Quest top style, the side view FF style and an diagonal view like this:
    BattleEngineMelodyMain025.jpg

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    IceBurner wrote: »
    I registered RPG Maker XP, and while I haven't followed VX's development since the demo, I didn't see large enough improvements to warrant spending another $80 for the upgrade.

So if you already have XP, try the VX demo first, but if you don't, just go straight to VX as it does polish some rough edges (like setting up item icons, aaargh).

I'm still liking the overall style of the 2003 maker more than I like XP or VX to be honest.

C2B on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    God, that trailer is fucking awesome. The guy sounds like he's straight out of the 80s with that ear-piercing enthusiastic reading of the sales pitch.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    While I'm still thinking about it, the Yanfly Engine Melody Script also has 4 different battle systems; Default Turn (Dragon Quest like), Press Turn (like Shin Megami Tensei series), Active Turn (Kinda Chrono Trigger like), Charge Turn Battle System with is like the Active turn and Default Turn mixed together.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

The Yanfly Engine Melody Script gives you the options of the Dragon Quest top style, the side view FF style and an diagonal view like this:
    While I'm still thinking about it, the Yanfly Engine Melody Script also has 4 different battle systems; Default Turn (Dragon Quest like), Press Turn (like Shin Megami Tensei series), Active Turn (Kinda Chrono Trigger like), Charge Turn Battle System with is like the Active turn and Default Turn mixed together.

:^:

You're very quickly selling me on this. Those scripts pulled from Yanfly's pack will work with the trial, yes? Like, I don' have to drop $60 to even see if the engine can do the things I want, right?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I registered RPG Maker XP, and while I haven't followed VX's development since the demo, I didn't see large enough improvements to warrant spending another $80 for the upgrade.

I'm still liking the overall style of the 2003 maker more than I like XP or VX to be honest.
    I still personally prefer the stylings of RPG Tsukuru 2000 (RM2K/RPG Maker 2000), but:

A) You need to be able to read Japanese (well, unless you took the low road).
    B) I don't even know where to import it from now, if at all any more.
    C) It doesn't let you easily modify the game engine via Ruby Script. Day / night system? I scripted that crap using events :P

The Japanese community has also moved past RM2K at this point. Sales and community support for XP have surpassed it. 2003 never actually fared as well, probably because it was such a feature-light upgrade while still breaking lots of things from the popular 2000 version.

Always told myself I will have to sit down and make a Secret of Mana-style combat engine. Pipe dream though, free time AND resources always seem to keep decreasing.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I still personally prefer the stylings of RPG Tsukuru 2000 (RM2K/RPG Maker 2000), but:

A) You need to be able to read Japanese (well, unless you took the low road).
    B) I don't even know where to import it from now, if at all any more.
    C) It doesn't let you easily modify the game engine via Ruby Script.

The Japanese community has also moved past RM2K at this point. Sales and community support for XP have surpassed it. 2003 never actually fared as well, probably because it was such a feature-light upgrade while still breaking lots of things from the popular 2000 version.

I imported it and took the low road back then. I didn't maker in some years. But honestly, while I understand Enterbrain's stand back then against the illegal distribution of their product. I still don't understand their defense against any sort of translation patches for it though.

I'm actually thinking of buying VX, to maker again. Is there any way to overcome some limitations regarding the overall style?

C2B on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

:^:

You're very quickly selling me on this. Those scripts pulled from Yanfly's pack will work with the trial, yes? Like, I don' have to drop $60 to even see if the engine can do the things I want, right?

Yeah, I'm using the trial and I'm using them. If I finish my testing game I might post it here. I'm still trying to figure out how he did the animated monsters on his test game. (And find animated monsters that fit the RPG VX format.)

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So wait. Is the scripting done in this Melody language, or in Ruby? I saw someone mention Ruby earlier.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The only one I ever worked on was that version they released for the PS1. Inputting dialogue by keypad? That takes dialogue. I worked over 200 hours for just two games. I'm still proud of those two.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I tried making a game back in the day with the old version. I got as far as the first boss encounter, which was apparently bugged because it was invincible. I gave up trying to fix it.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So wait. Is the scripting done in this Melody language, or in Ruby? I saw someone mention Ruby earlier.

Ruby Scripting, Melody Engine. Yanfly's is a modified version of the Melody Engine that is compatible with any Melody Engine Script.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you like to see how to use the system step by step, merte123 of youtube has some really good videos that goes through the different steps in making games. He's very detailed and he has an awesome voice.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Someone make me an RPG with a battle system ala Final Fantasy, but nearly all the attacks can kill you/severley wound you in one hit. The combat options would be focused mainly on taunting, diversions, getting into a better position, hiding, blocking, dodging and many other options to prepare to attack/get your enemy's guard down to kill them with a single hit without being hit and killed yourself.

Chop Chop

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I really don't know if there is a FFT script out there.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The problem with rpg maker is it severely restricts you to that particular rpg format, so breaking the mold is out of the question. You can make your own loop holes but it's a lot of extra work and needless effort. Still, great program for anyone not super serious about game making and just wants to have fun making their own rpg.

klok on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    One day, while I was quite insane, I made a demented RPG about a monkey in the PS1 version of RPG Maker.

While I dare not show this madman's work to anyone, it had a therapeutic effect and still makes me giggle. But it's not what's important.

A young man was somehow inspired by my own lunacy and produced his own RPG which was a work of absurdist genius. It's that game I bring up from time to time, the one where some of its twisted ideas have disturbingly surfaced in professionally-made video games in the years since, and just as absurd as That Fighter Maker video. This game was very unfortunately lost due to a total lack of any backup methodology or principles, however it was a testament to the existence of RPG Maker.

In all seriousness now, don't get too focused on making a hardcore game with this. Remember to have fun, and your players will probably enjoy themselves too.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    VX is a really good program for making really simple RPGs. So simple that they're pretty unplayable without a lot of additional scripting. The community looks pretty robust, though, and a lot of what one wants can be found buried in message boards and websites.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    klok wrote: »
    The problem with rpg maker is it severely restricts you to that particular rpg format, so breaking the mold is out of the question. You can make your own loop holes but it's a lot of extra work and needless effort. Still, great program for anyone not super serious about game making and just wants to have fun making their own rpg.

On the PS1 version I worked on making a completely different type of game by enclosing the player in a box and making events trigger when he bumped into that box. So you could press each direction and they would make a box move around, etc. Probably could've done a Break Out clone with it but it was sluggish and I got bored.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Aegof wrote: »
    VX is a really good program for making really simple RPGs. So simple that they're pretty unplayable without a lot of additional scripting. The community looks pretty robust, though, and a lot of what one wants can be found buried in message boards and websites.

This system does have a nice community but they seem kinda buried (looking at the official VX forums which gets a few post a day for such a large forum), which is another reason why I decided to talk about it over here. If you want to see some awesome made with the RPG Maker VX, look at Deadly Sin and Deadly Sin: Shining Light (sometimes called Deadly Sin 2 but the story lines are different like in the FF series.)

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hmm I'm definitely shelling out for this. I have a few RPG ideas that have been milling about for years now and I'm gonna crack them out.

Are there scripts to. Modify the leveling system to be I don't want to say modern but something that isn't reach X points gain y stats?

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Once I crack what you just said, I might know how to answer that.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Ah at least I'm not alone on this.

I want to use a system where you can buy stats at each level gain. Or buy prepackaged sets geared towards defense ,attack, etc

I figure if there was something like a skill tree I could mod it from there.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Ah at least I'm not alone on this.

I want to use a system where you can buy stats at each level gain. Or buy prepackaged sets geared towards defense ,attack, etc

I figure if there was something like a skill tree I could mod it from there.

Skip to 2:19

I think that might tell you it's out there. I'll look around to see if I can find that for you.

Edit: The Skill Tree in that game is just events, not script. See post 11 on thread.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I found this but I'm not sure if it will work with Yanfly Engine. But try it and tell us if it works.

Downloadable demo of a game with a skill tree. This one I'm going to test out myself.

Last one is Melody compatible if you paste the code in option 4 in the right place. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Every time I read about new RPG makes it makes me want to force myself to buckle down, learn how to REALLY use it, and make the games I have been keeping in my head for almost 20 years now.

But then the daunting task of finding everything I need to make the game I want kills me, and even when I can, I get screwed by being unable to create the art I need (as I am inept at creating any kind of art pixel or no).

Still, I might try again..... again

Kai_San on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am a noob when it comes to this program.

Can you download "systems" at will? Aka, if someone out there designed a secret of mana/Link to the past style gameplay system for the program, could one download it and use it easily?

I have an idea for an RPG but I'd like it to be real time like LTTP or SOM/Sieken Densetsu 3.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    @Kai_San
    Dude, I feel you. I quit after the opening scene of my Demons of Ashland game with XP, and again with Gamemaker once I wanted to do it as an action/adventure game. But first thing you have to remember, works of art take time and patience. We here (myself most likely) will try to help you on this grand adventure to travel the world on the other side of the looking glass as you go from player to maker.

samurai6966 on