As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

French refresher

Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a job interview for a french technical support position tomorrow, and while I'm fluent in french, I've not had to use it in close to 7 years, or more.

So, I'm after some type of refresher material to remind myself how to speak it. My understanding is that there's alot of new words which have been introduced, so I'm just trying to avoid putting myself into a pickle.

Currently I'm reading the french CBC, but I was wondering if anyone had a better thought to refresh my french.

Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
Movie Collection
Foody Things
Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
Nakatomi2010 on

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    rosetta stone?

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Livemocha.com? Buy some French novels and start reading?

You haven't had to use it in seven years and you're still "fluent"?

Esh on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I speak to myself in french from time to time to keep myself on my toes, but yeah I know what you mean. I went to Quebec in July and had some trouble understanding people. I could catch words, but they were speaking too fast, which is what I'm trying to improve on.

It's like driving an old car, it drives like any other, but as you continue to drive it you start to remember quirks about it that you had forgotten about previously.

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Time and exposure, are the best refreshers, which I'm sure you know.
    Really not sure what you can do by tomorrow to make much of a difference. The last time I didn't use french for years it took about a week in France to get it back to a comfortable level, after 9-10 years now I'm not sure if I can really rebuild it that easily.

NODe on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Exposure, especially auditory. Whenever I want to dredge up my french, I'll only listen to the french radio station in the car, and make a point of watching some of my french films with the subtitles off.

Entriech on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I speak to myself in french from time to time to keep myself on my toes, but yeah I know what you mean. I went to Quebec in July and had some trouble understanding people. I could catch words, but they were speaking too fast, which is what I'm trying to improve on.

It's like driving an old car, it drives like any other, but as you continue to drive it you start to remember quirks about it that you had forgotten about previously.

If you learned France french it's normal that you had trouble in Quebec. It's spoken noticeably different here.
    Watch French movies, and try to find opportunities to speak with french people. Livemocha might be good for that.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My library has complete on-line courses through their Website, it was very helpful in learning, coincidentally, French as well for my trip to Quebec. The software is called 'Mango'. Check your library and see if they have the same or similar course.

MichaelLC on