As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I thought it was hilariously goosey when you repeated "r e t i n a d i s p l a y" after you were ignored the first time, and then after being corrected just said you didn't know what you were talking about. No I didn't see your post. I was too busy furiously making fun of you. I'll go back and read it now, ok?

ok but can you get back to me on that pressing question

seems like it's more constructive than you refusing to read posts and blindly insulting ppl

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I'm planning on selling my 3rd gen 64 gig ipod today and buying the new one. Question: when I get the new one is there some option to "copy everything from the last one" so I can keep my old note files or will I lose those?

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    or: dumb

are you dumb?

Considering the article you linked reinforces what I was saying earlier, I'd be careful who I was insulting.

i wasn't insulting you?

also i misread the question as what makes the i4 need more ram (in general), not why does it have more ram
    because that's kind of obvious. it's apple. money.

That's kind of the point, though. It doesn't need more RAM than the iPad or the 3GS because of the retina display. The iPad and the 3GS both have 256MB of RAM, and the iPad has a higher resolution display than the iPhone 4. The DPI has nothing to do with it, as far as the phone is concerned. It could be 960x640 on a 3.5" display pushing 300+ DPI, or it could be 960x640 on a ninety foot display pushing four DPI. It's still the same amount of data as far as the RAM and processor are concerned.

it has more RAM because it can. it helps with multitasking and performance, but it doesn't require it to run smoothly. it might provide a smoother multitasking experience than the iPad on OS 4 because of it (we won't know until it's released), but the iPad also has a higher CPU clock speed, which is seemingly more important on this platform because people aren't developing apps assuming they can use 512MB of RAM.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    So, what's the easiest way to copy an URL from the iPhone to other computers?

Echo on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »

PasteBot?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Click the plus sign / email link to page?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    email it

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    After setting up the swap hack I can see why the iPhone4 has more ram. There is a slight hiccup as the memory is dumped back to the cache, so as Mono says, more ram contributes to smoother experience by way of minimizing caching.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2010
    After setting up the swap hack I can see why the iPhone4 has more ram. There is a slight hiccup as the memory is dumped back to the cache, so as Mono says, more ram contributes to smoother experience by way of minimizing caching.

Right; but that hiccup is so slight as to not be noticed AT ALL in use.

Also, the swap hack is inelegant. Epic Citadel would need far more ram on a normal platform, but they are swapping things into ram from the cache constantly, and it runs buttery smooth.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    fortunately, the way iOS4 does caching and fast app switching isn't the same as the Swap Hack. there's no such hiccup on the 3GS.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    iOS 4.1 is now available for download, bitches.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    syndalis wrote: »

Funny how I noticed it then, eh?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Funny how I noticed it then, eh?

You notice it when you first start making use of the device, and you stop noticing it as you just start using the thing.

It's like a smudge on the paint on your wall. You notice it when it happens, and two weeks later people have to point it out to you because it has faded into the background.

People with kindles do not notice page refreshes. People who use them for the first time do and wonder why the thing is so slow.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    iOS 4.1 is now available for download, bitches.

Grah, and I left my goddamn iPhone cable at home today.

Guess I'll have to wait until I'm home to upgrade.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Downloaded and installed.

Gamecenter name is Rothgarr is anyone wants to add.

Now all I need are some games that use Gamecenter...

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You notice it when you first start making use of the device, and you stop noticing it as you just start using the thing.

It's like a smudge on the paint on your wall. You notice it when it happens, and two weeks later people have to point it out to you because it has faded into the background.

People with kindles do not notice page refreshes. People who use them for the first time do and wonder why the thing is so slow.
    It's a little different than that. I'm not trying to interact with my Kindle when it is changing pages. Yes, I own a kindle, and I do notice the page refreshes. I simply ignore them, but that doesn't mean I don't notice them. That is just crazy. So, sure, people can adapt, and I'm not saying this is an issue for me, as I understand I am employing a hack and with that comes trade-offs.

When there is a hiccup while iOS dumps mem to disk, things literally stop for a moment. Lists stop scrolling, screen/virtual keyboard unresponsive to input, that is certainly noticeable. When the whole point of your device is to emulate a book, stuff like that isn't important. When the whole point of your device is to provide a SMOOTH experience, things that are NOT SMOOTH stand out, dig it?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    One of the key pieces of information coming out of iFixit's fourth-generation iPod touch teardown is that that the device carries only 256 MB of RAM, the same as the iPhone 3GS and iPad but less than the 512 MB found in the iPhone 4. iFixit's Kyle Wiens has confirmed the new iPod touch's RAM to us.

Interesting.

Obviously Apple thinks 256MB is good enough for current generation devices.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You apparently should not update if you're jailbroken, doubly so if you're unlocked. They're working on an exploit for 4.1 and it should hopefully be out soon.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GPIA7R on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    One of the key pieces of information coming out of iFixit's fourth-generation iPod touch teardown is that that the device carries only 256 MB of RAM, the same as the iPhone 3GS and iPad but less than the 512 MB found in the iPhone 4. iFixit's Kyle Wiens has confirmed the new iPod touch's RAM to us.

Interesting.

Obviously Apple thinks 256MB is good enough for current generation devices.

All I can think is that their current software is tuned for 256MB and the iPhone 4 has 512MB just as an extra bit of future proofin'.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright, is there an app on Cydia (or wherever else, jailbroken is fine) that will turn off my data connection after a specified amount of traffic has been used, and optionally reset my data conter every first of the month?

Long story short, I got served a $2k invoice from T-Mobile for overstepping my data limit by a few gigs. Since their data counter was at fault, the matter was settled to my satisfaction (I paid my usual monthly amount), but I'd like to take extra precautions against this sort of thing to save my nerves.

Thanks in advance.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    :(

iPhone 4.1 does not make the 3G usable again. It's faster than before, but marginally so and still painful to do anything with.

Talka on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gamecenter name is (surprise) Big Dookie. Add me. Do it.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Game center ID is Ampix. Now to get some games that actually support it. Also, skype gave me an error message this morning, saying that it only worked on unmodified devices (I'm not jailbroken) and then... Proceeded to work anyway:P

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Ampix wrote: »
    Game center ID is Ampix. Now to get some games that actually support it. Also, skype gave me an error message this morning, saying that it only worked on unmodified devices (I'm not jailbroken) and then... Proceeded to work anyway:P

Flight Control is GC-enabled, fun, and one buck.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm personally waiting for the 4.1 jailbreak to come out, I think. I'm reading everywhere that if you upgrade to 4.1, you're scrooood for jailbreaking past that (until they figure it out again), and the current 4.0 -> 4.1 jailbreak is at such a deep level, it'll require a new hardware revision for Apple to fix.

However, in the meantime, I'm rather pining over not being able to bust out the HDR photos and rent shows for 99c (just to see how awesome it is/isn't).

Imperfect on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Finally got my iPhone. Is there a non-stupid* way to sync it both with iTunes at home (Win) and at work (Mac)?

*Non-stupid refers to not using a hex editor to change my iTunes library ID. I'm always concerned hacks like that will break future updates.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nope! You're fucked! Every time you sync, it'll dick with your app layout, which apps are installed, what music is available, kill your ringtones in some circumstances, THE WHOLE NINE YARDS.

I'm a little bitter about this. I've re-layed-out my apps so many times now because I forget that the last time I synced was at the other computer and suddenly everything is un-sorted.

I can't wait until they put your iTunes library on the cloud and syncing at home is the same damn thing as syncing at work.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm not really comprehending the news stories like this one.

Updating to 4.1 could compromise your device so that the 4.1 jailbreak doesn't work? What sense does that make? If it requires 4.0.1 or 4.0.2, it's hardly an iOS 4.1 jailbreak. And if the exploit is at such a low level that Apple won't be able to thwart it without hardware changes, then there's no way that obviously updating to 4.1 can prevent it, right?

I updated to 4.1 yesterday since my phone came on 4.0.2 out of the factory and was thus already unjailbreakable. I'm assuming I'm still fine for the 4.1 jailbreak and these are just shitty articles, but who knows.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I never sync my phone. I sometimes copy music to it, but never sync. Contacts are synced over the air via google, which is the only information I care to back up.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Can't you for example tell it to sync music, video, apps, etc. on one machine and only contacts on another?

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Updating to 4.1 could compromise your device so that the 4.1 jailbreak doesn't work? What sense does that make? If it requires 4.0.1 or 4.0.2, it's hardly an iOS 4.1 jailbreak. And if the exploit is at such a low level that Apple won't be able to thwart it without hardware changes, then there's no way that obviously updating to 4.1 can prevent it, right?

Wasn't that how the 4.0 jailbreak worked for a while? You couldn't do it if you had already updated to 4.0, you had to jailbreak 3.1.3 and then upgrade with a special 4.0 image.

Fats on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Can't you for example tell it to sync music, video, apps, etc. on one machine and only contacts on another?

I never listen to podcasts at home, only at work, so I have podcasts synced to iTunes at work and everything else synced to iTunes at home. Never have issues.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I use podcasts for listening to the "radio" in my car. So I want the newest stuff both when leaving home and work. Sounds like I'll have to dick around with RSS and pull them directly over the air.

This is not the future I was promised.

enc0re on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    enc0re wrote: »
    This is not the future I was promised.

One cannot be promised the future, only given the opportunity to seize it for themselves.

Or some such bullocks.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I typically just download the next episode of whatever directly on the device before I go to work.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote:
    Ampix wrote:

Flight Control is GC-enabled, fun, and one buck.

Hmm, I have flight control for iPad, it was fun, but it never really clicked for me. Any other suggestions?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TIPB wrote:
    Field test mode, missing from iOS 4.0, makes its triumphant return in iOS 4.1. If you’re not familiar with it, field test mode is a diagnostic mode that shows cell reception as actual, meaningful numbers as opposed to nebulous Apple and carrier rendered bars.

To enter field test mode, dial

*3001#12345#*To exit field test mode, click the home button

If you’re playing around with it, say trying out death grips, death touches, or AT&T death zones, lower (as in negative) numbers are worse. And if you’re playing around, let us know your results.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, question about AirPlay. This isn't coming out till iOS 4.2 right? As in, no streaming from my iPhone 4 to my Airport Express until then?

Esh on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    afaik
    Airtunes/play doesn't support streaming from iphone to airport express.
    What it supports is streaming to speakers/airport express from itunes.
    Which can be controlled by your iphone using the apple remote app.

tl;dr get the remote app.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png