As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Yeah, but why do they have to upload those contacts to a server somewhere? Why can't it work just fine on your phone?

because voice recognition for complex shit like sentences is too processor-intensive to happen on a phone. What you are doing is sending the audio to a server, which does the crunching and sends the text back to your iDevice. Therefore, they need any relevant info on how to parse this audio on their server.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shit, really? Remember, this is a phone that does some pretty impressive 3d graphics. It has PLENTY of horsepower, and I remember running voice-recognition apps on my Pentium 100Mhz. (Dragon Naturally Speaking, actually.)

Edit: While I still think they COULD do this on the phone itself, it turns out that doing it on the servers provides the benefit of being able to compile all that information in one spot and "teach" the voice-recognition algorithm how to understand everything better over time. If you did it on the phone, they'd have to push updates constantly as the algorithm got better.

Found a good article where they respond to privacy complaints, though:

Nuance Responds to Dragon Dictation for iPhone Privacy Concerns

In short, though, all they upload is the names of your contacts, since you're likely to be saying those. Email addresses, phone numbers, all that shit stays on your phone. Makes sense to me.

I might actually get this app, now.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    quippleyquippley Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    CASES:

I've tried 3 cases so far, the Belkin Grip Vue, the iLuv Edge and of course a Bumper. All were pretty disappointing (not that any case is a reason for jubilant praise).

The Belkin had terrible access to the volume buttons and lock button. It had plastic tips that covered the buttons that you have to push down on. They were very stiff and I had to squeeze very hard to control my volume or lock my home. For day to day use, it was awful.

The iLuv Edge is like a big, rubbery Bumper. It was okay except for the pocket grip effect. AND it sort of felt loose around my iPhone.

The Apple Bumper is okay. The biggest qualm is that the opening for the dock port has very sharp edges and actually hurts my hands when holding the phone. Also the silence switch is hard to get at.

Now I never had iPhone 4 reception issues (no drop calls or anything), even thought I do grip it with my left hand. But I do use a case to protect it from damage (I have 2 friends that already got unsightly cracks after dropping theirs).

Will they ever make an iPhone 4 case that meets my (fairly low) standards?!?

quippley on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's not about the cpu power, it is about the size of the database. Do you want a multi-gigabyte speech database on your phone? Also, do you want to sit around for an hour and train the phone to your voice? By analyzing various speech from other users, the software gets more and more accurate.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    quippley wrote: »
    The biggest qualm is that the opening for the dock port has very sharp edges and actually hurts my hands when holding the phone.

I can't figure out how to reproduce this. How are you holding the phone?

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Six wrote: »
    The biggest qualm is that the opening for the dock port has very sharp edges and actually hurts my hands when holding the phone.

I can't figure out how to reproduce this. How are you holding the phone?

When pulling the phone from my pocket, often my fingers will run over that edge and it can cut into my hand. Not to the point of actual injury, mind you, but its uncomfortable. Holding it at landscape level for a game or texting can also cause my hand to come into contact with this edge.

Mind you I'm not a pretty, pretty princess with dainty, baby hands. I'm not saying this is a deadly flaw. But for day to day use its annoying. But I'm sure it's different for people with different hands.

quippley on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I wonder if your bumped is markedly different from mine. No matter how I press that opening I can make it uncomfortable.

Hmm, maybe take a file to it?

Six on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know some cases come with little plugs for the dock port and headphone jack and stuff. Look into one of those?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I wonder if your bumped is markedly different from mine. No matter how I press that opening I can make it uncomfortable.

really? hmm. maybe it was manufactured differently. maybe you just have sturdier hands than mine. :P

quippley on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

really? hmm. maybe it was manufactured differently. maybe you just have sturdier hands than mine. :P

You can use a razor blade or an Xacto knife to shave off what's causing the discomfort. My guess it's some leftover flash from the molding process. It's your case, don't be afraid to mod it.

I'm still looking for some decent cases. Thing is, I'm not sure which route to go because I *really* like Gelaskins and the Zagg.com cover for my Nano has worked wonders. I think I want something a little more robust (outside of the bumper) but I'm just not sure. Should be getting my phone later today, so we'll see how slippery it feels in the hand or pocket. My wife is likely going to get an Otterbox for hers, but she keeps her phone in her purse anyway.

I'm going to poke through a few blogs and review sites later and see if any of them have case reviews.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I know some cases come with little plugs for the dock port and headphone jack and stuff. Look into one of those?

My previous iPhone 4 case came with plugs for the headphone and dock ports. Love 'em! I remember my old Blackberry 8900 and iPhone 3GS getting all sorts of shit in those areas.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thoughts on this case? http://www.iphonecaze.com/iphone-3g-cases/iphone-4-zero5-ultra-thin-case.html

Just got my notification email. If my wife wasn't so far away right now I'd take the rest of the day off.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I need to pick a free case for my new iPhone.

I've narrowed it down to Apple Bumper vs Incase Snap Case (either black or clear)

Thoughts?

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My Incase Snap will arrive this week. If you want to wait, you can compare my review of it with someone else's review of the Bumper

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    My Incase Snap will arrive this week. If you want to wait, you can compare my review of it with someone else's review of the Bumper

Oh sweet. People I know in person have the Apple bumper so I have first hand experience with it. I am curious, though, how you like the Incase one. Which did you get? Black or Clear?

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I ordered the clear

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I ordered the clear

I was thinking of getting the clear, too. That way I can keep printing out new designs to tuck into the back of the case... that's what I do with my iPad.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    I ordered the clear

I was thinking of getting the clear, too. That way I can keep printing out new designs to tuck into the back of the case... that's what I do with my iPad.

That's not a bad idea, actually. I ordered the smoke, because I figured that it would hide the dust/lint that would eventually get in between the case and the back of the phone.

Damn.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well darn, it seems the Dragon app requires you to be online in order to record your voice. Since I'm taking the cheapo jailbroken path, this eliminates my on-the-go ideas.

Is there an alternative that works offline?

Also, is there a way to instantly switch between two or more apps at a time? The plan with Dragon was to record the text, copy it, hit the home key, and open a notepad app to paste the text. Anyway to bypass the home part?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Double tap the home button to quickly switch between the most recently used apps.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Double tap the home button to quickly switch between the most recently used apps.

:^:

Is there also a way to have my Facebook and Twitter info automatically saved, so I don't have to keep filling it out for each game?

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Alright, I have no idea what I'm seeing here...

This may be an SBSettings-only thing? Everyone, please place your iPhone 4 in front of you. Unlock and get to your main screen.

Place your index finger up by the ear/output area. Now, swipe your finger down the length of the phone. Did a smokey/dark screen come down and cover the screen? It's see-through... but... yeah. WHAT IS THAT.

You can touch/swipe again to make it slide back up... but I see no point or use for it!

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Can't reproduce that

Six on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Check your SBSettings activation methods.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I still have some unanswered questions:

1. My slider doesn't show up when I'm using a Winterboard theme. Is that something I have to enable (haven't put a lock code) or is that dependent on the theme?

2. When talking on the phone, the screen goes black in like a second. I'd prefer to have it on for the duration of the call instead of having to hit the home key or something. Where do I configure that?

3. Is there an app that stores my contact info for Facebook and such, so I don't have to keep applying it for each game/app/whatever?

4. Still looking for an alternative to itunes regarding syncing music. I'd prefer to just copy specific folders/songs.

5. Any other barcode apps where I can scan an item's UPC to get info?

6. Any other recommended app lists? I'm looking through Lifehacker, but I really want to read as many recommendations as possible. Never know what I could use unless I hear about it.

7. Is there a way to delete a game from my phone or itunes without erasing the save data? I deleted a couple and had to start all over when putting them back on my phone.

• Options
    edited August 2010
    So a guy at work dragged and dropped about 16GB of music onto his iPhone before he knew to sync up a playlist. Now, he wants to restore his iPhone (not sure why he has to), but all the cherry-picked music on his iPhone will be deleted. He's made a temp playlist on his phone that has all the songs in it, but for the life of us, we cannot get that playlist to transfer to iTunes. We're just looking for a way for his iTunes to know what songs he's dragged onto his phone so that he can make a "Dumbass's Playlist" in iTunes with all the songs in it. Any ideas?

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It sucks but he may just have to write it down, then reproduce it on the iTunes side of the equation.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    bficky wrote: »
    So a guy at work dragged and dropped about 16GB of music onto his iPhone before he knew to sync up a playlist. Now, he wants to restore his iPhone (not sure why he has to), but all the cherry-picked music on his iPhone will be deleted. He's made a temp playlist on his phone that has all the songs in it, but for the life of us, we cannot get that playlist to transfer to iTunes. We're just looking for a way for his iTunes to know what songs he's dragged onto his phone so that he can make a "Dumbass's Playlist" in iTunes with all the songs in it. Any ideas?

I've seen some programs that access the phone's folders. Maybe give one a shot and look around each folder?

• Options
    edited August 2010
    he downloaded Pod-to-PC, and it mentions copying playlists over, but that looks like you also have to copy over the music, which he already has on his computer. This will probably lead to duplicates, which may be worse than copying everything down.

bficky on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Hipstamatic is a pretty cool photo program

it has filters that are modeled after fanciful different types of flash, different lenses, and film types

basically looks like old polaroids and such

4899522095_052aee0c72.jpg

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does anyone else see seven different supernatural events in that photo?

admanb on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    you should hear the associated evp app i had going at the time

yay for multitasking

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    iRemote question.

It works fine at home, but when I take my laptop and iPhone to work, it won't connect. Thoughts? They're both on the same network (if that's how it's actually connecting).

Esh on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Probably a port in your work's router not allowing the connection.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Is there any way to auto-alphabetize the apps?

I'm also using Categories, and they display all the apps in each folder from Z>A. How do I reverse it?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there any way to auto-alphabetize the apps?

I'm also using Categories, and they display all the apps in each folder from Z>A. How do I reverse it?

go into the categories app, go into the folder, and edit/rearrange your icons manually. They go Z>A because you dropped them in there like that.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a way to increase the duration of the vibration for text messages and notices. I noticed today that both seemed extremely short . Also on that note is there a way to increase the intensity?

khain on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Warning to you all:

I installed Yelp and tried out their "Monacle" feature - basically their AR, showing you what's around you. It was neat for a second, then the location of stuff and where I was pointing got way out of sync, and then my iPhone became unresponsive.

It was straight-up KO'd. The touchscreen did nothing, the home button did nothing, even the MUTE button had no effect. But yelp was still running, still displaying really whacky locations over my camera. I had to hard reset it to get it back properly again, and first thing I did when I came back was nuke Yelp.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    khain wrote: »
    Is there a way to increase the duration of the vibration for text messages and notices. I noticed today that both seemed extremely short . Also on that note is there a way to increase the intensity?

Nope! I wish

GPIA7R on