As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

• Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    admanb wrote: »
    It's also important to note that the internal statistics that AT&T uses to decide how much to charge for how many GB of data will have most 2GB customers using nowhere near 2GB a month. Presumably, they've noticed a surge in their actual data compared to their predicted data and are attributing that to tethering.

I'm sure this has to do with why they're doing it, but there are plenty of ways for them to confirm that it's unauthorized tethered data being used that don't involve data spikes and guesswork.

I don't know why anyone is surprised by this move. Once AT&T started offering tethering at an additional fee for iPhone customers, they gave themselves a very good reason to put a stop to unauthorized tethering.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the funny thing is, I pay $30 for my unlimited, and I don't tether at all, but I make it a goal to use as much data as possible in a month every month. It's not uncommon for me to hit 5gb just from usage on the actual phone.

FUCK THA POLICE.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So with this new iphone update... it wont update on my phone. I connect it to itunes via my PC and it tells me it will take 14 hours to download then gives me an error saying my download is stopped.

not an actual problem as the phone still works 100%, but what is up with this 14 hour download? (also do i really need this 700meg download?)

Barcardi on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Barcardi wrote: »
    So with this new iphone update... it wont update on my phone. I connect it to itunes via my PC and it tells me it will take 14 hours to download then gives me an error saying my download is stopped.

not an actual problem as the phone still works 100%, but what is up with this 14 hour download? (also do i really need this 700meg download?)

I had a lot of trouble downloading it too, especially because my comnection crapped out sometimes, which iTunes saw as a splendid reason to start the download all over again! I got it working in the end, and the update really is pretty nice, speeds up browsing quite a bit.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You can download them directly from here

http://www.quickpwn.com/2011/03/ios-4-3-download-links.html

after it's done, when you go to update your phone (make a backup first just in case!) hold the shift key when you click the update button. It should prompt you to navigate to wherever you saved the .ipsw file and the install should go fine (in theory)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2011
    If you are on a mac, the key you want to press is "option" not shift.

Just to cover all bases.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey, I need to some help updating my ancient iPhone's jailbreak firmware, if that's a valid topic for discussion in this thread.

I haven't updated it in a while, but now that I have a wifi-only iPad I want to be able to use my phone as a tethering wifi hotspot wherever I go. Problem is, most jailbreak apps require you to have really updated firmware. My iPhone has been stuck at firmware 3.0j for a very long time, since I can't find a comprehensive guide to updating it without bricking/losing space/losing all jailbreak apps.

Anybody?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The new iOS lets you create wifi hotspots anyway.

Blake T on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blake T wrote: »

Yeah, but I do other things with my jailbreak than that, and needed to update the firmware anyway.

Anyhow, figured it out. In case anybody else wanders in wondering what to do, you need to create a custom firmware with redsn0w, save it on your desktop so it's easily found, go to iTunes and Shift+click on RESTORE, not update firmware. You need to let iTunes do a restore to the new open firmware you just created.

Make sure you get one of the Cydia apps that backs up your shit or you'll start from scratch after the update.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

it does if you pay AT&T's additional monthly tethering fee

though AT&T has started cracking down on jailbreakers using free tethering solutions, so the MyWi gravy train appears to be coming to an end

Monoxide on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Monoxide wrote: »

though AT&T has started cracking down on jailbreakers using free tethering solutions, so the MyWi gravy train appears to be coming to an end

The solution is to move to Canada. As long as your data plan is 1GB or higher you get free tethering and hotspot.

elevature on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    elevature wrote: »

The solution is to move to Canada. As long as your data plan is 1GB or higher you get free tethering and hotspot.

Not even. I have the lowest data plan on Virgin and I can do whatever I want.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    elevature wrote: »

Not even. I have the lowest data plan on Virgin and I can do whatever I want.

I'm speaking as a Fido customer, but sounds like your deal is even better.

elevature on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm generally not too crazy about huge iPhone add-on accessories, but I have to say, this thing looks incredibly cool:

http://vimeo.com/21733789

I've actually never even considered the concept of interactive, panoramic video. Maybe I'm late to the party, but I can see this as something that could totally change the way video is shot and watched.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Somebody create a homebrew app for Amazon Cloud Music yet? You can already kind of access it on an iPhone, but that’s not really optimal for a streaming music solution.

centraldogma on
    When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    so potential dumb question. Is there an app out there that not only backs up your info, but gives me the ability to have it on a simple excel or html spreadsheet?

Im looking to recover all of my phone numbers and then print them up... not sure if itunes does this.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2011
    so potential dumb question. Is there an app out there that not only backs up your info, but gives me the ability to have it on a simple excel or html spreadsheet?

Im looking to recover all of my phone numbers and then print them up... not sure if itunes does this.

iTunes to Address Book (mac) or Outlook / Microsoft Mail (windows) does it, no app needed.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can also sync your contact with your google account.

Blake T on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is what I do, and I do a full backup of everything I've got stored with Google once a month. I've got a script that runs on my 'nix server that pulls ALL mail via IMAP and backs it up, pulls all my contacts and creates vCard files out of 'em, and it even pulls my Google Docs and archives those.

So, jailbreaking. What's some neat stuff I can do with a jailbreak on my iPhone that I wouldn't be able to do with/is improved over the stock iPhone firmware? I need some ideas before I just jump at it. :P

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I jailbreak these days almost entirely because of sbsettings. When installed, you can swipe across the top of the screen to bring down a menu where you can do things like go into airplane mode, turn on/off the wifi and cell radios, reboot, etc. I use it regularly.

Winterboard is nice if you like themes, but since Apple now lets us do wallpapers easily I haven't found much of a need for it.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Winterboard is old news, honestly. There was a developer who made something called Backboard that made theming a lot easier, and then went on to make something called Dreamboard, which allows fast-switching of themes.

Where theming is completely changing the UI, not just wallpaper swapping.

Then there's Lock Info, which makes your lock screen actually useful, and not terrible.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ah, I hadn't realized winterboard had been usurped. But yeah, f you're into theming, jailbreaking is cool.

Six on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Most themes still use Winterboard, but "tech" wise, it's old, yeah.

Lovin' my Winphone 7 theme.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Meh, theming isn't a biggie for the most part. I thought about using Lock Info, but it seemed cluttered last time I tried it, and it didn't look right on the lock screen. Are there specific themes or settings you guys use that you like?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Blake showed his lockscreen a few pages back, which gives an example of how you can alter it. His is really clean, and is similar to how I've got mine set up.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is what I do, and I do a full backup of everything I've got stored with Google once a month. I've got a script that runs on my 'nix server that pulls ALL mail via IMAP and backs it up, pulls all my contacts and creates vCard files out of 'em, and it even pulls my Google Docs and archives those.

So, jailbreaking. What's some neat stuff I can do with a jailbreak on my iPhone that I wouldn't be able to do with/is improved over the stock iPhone firmware? I need some ideas before I just jump at it. :P

Why I'm jailbroken:
    - LockInfo. As others have said, it shows you all sorts of good info on your lock screen (seriously, Apple. My PocketPC could do that ten years ago)
    - SBSettings. Enable/disable anything you need to easily (airplane mode, wifi/bluetooth/3g, ssh, etc)
    - Button mapping. I can use either volume button as a camera button (using QuickSnap), letting me hold the phone like a real camera instead of having to press the awkward on-screen 'take photo' button. I can also turn on the camera flash to use as a flashlight by pressing both volume buttons simultaneously instead of having to manually open a flashlight app.
    - MyWi. Yeah, they're allegedly cracking down on unauthorized tethering, but I haven't had any trouble yet.
    - StatusNotifier. Gives you awesome icons in the menubar to let you know you have notifications/email/missed calls and whether the silent toggle is on or not. You don't typically download it by itself, it comes bundled with a lot of things.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sweet, thanks Prawn.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TweetBot is the best.
    when they get some real Push support

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Also, better SMS apps, like biteSMS or iRealSMS are my primary reason for jail breaking.

Nothinglike being able to reply to an SMS without leaving the app you are currently in.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Pirusu wrote: »
    Blake showed his lockscreen a few pages back, which gives an example of how you can alter it. His is really clean, and is similar to how I've got mine set up.

Unfortunately the new iOS had destroyed a lot of the CSS formatting and I've yet to tool around to fix it considering I know nothing about coding.

Lockinfo though is amazing for supporting notifications now.

On my lockscreen it shows missed calls and SMS in a way that doesn't look like arse and once I am unlocked the pulldown menu shows all of my unread emails.

BiteSMS is probably the highest quality app on the Cydia store.

Plus custom swipe and button commands are super useful. I can fast send an SMS by tapping the volume button then the screen and I also have the torch on quick launch by touching both volume buttons.

Increasing the size of your folders is useful too.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Guys did you know that apple will replace your phone if you drop and smash it or if you water damage it.

I did not.

Now I do.

It is incredibly awesome.

(but remember to try and restore to factory settings to hide the fact you have a jailbroken phone.....)

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    To be fair, that's not officially their replacement policy. But if you go to the Genius Bar or call on the phone with a sob story, 9 times out of 10 they'll replace it and tell you it's a one-time thing.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    To be fair, that's not officially their replacement policy. But if you go to the Genius Bar or call on the phone with a sob story, 9 times out of 10 they'll replace it and tell you it's a one-time thing.

This is definitely something new. Last year I took my 3G in because it was broken (had the mysterious Wifi not working issue that affected a lot of people). It was still under warranty.

They refused to do anything because apparently one of the water damage indicators had been triggered. It was infuriating, but I couldn't do anything. Apparently they've changed their policy now., which is good.

Six on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So my boss' brother is starting to engrave and sell the back glass pieces for the iPhone 4.

RYeOT.jpg

That's well and good but I'm not entirely sure how many folks want to risk their warranty just to have a fucking fleur de lis on the back.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So I'm looking into replacing my iPhone 4 that was stolen last night. I need a phone bad, but the idea that the white version may only be weeks (or days) away is tempting. Trying to decide if it's worth waiting.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    http://t.co/C4xuVl0

This is some scary shit.

Apple, since iOS 4, has been recording cellphone trianglulation to a localized database on the iPhone, and sending it to your computer via the sync. This data shows a DETAILED chronological, timestamped map of where you were at any point since you updated to iOS4.

I just tested their app on my iPad, and I was able to see my entire trip through DC, and all the places in NYC I've been, etc.

This is a HUGE breach of privacy! You can't opt out of it, they never informed you they were doing it... what the fuck, Apple?!

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Man. That's pretty messed up.

Edit - Also disconcerting for me especially, considering the timing.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    yeah, this is a big deal. I hope they have a better excuse/solution to this than Google's WiFi data debacle. I can't say I'm surprised, and I certainly don't have anything to hide, but this isn't the kind of information I want stored anywhere without my consent.

The irony is that I'd probably happily opt-in to this if the data was being leveraged in a useful way. I'd love to have the ability to gather statistics on traffic trends and commute times. It's actually a wished-for-yet-technically-impossible component of an app I was working on last year. It's also obvious that this would be great information to determine dead zones in coverage area.

But I don't want it being done without my knowledge, and I don't want it being added to the shadowy consolidated.db file, and I don't want it to be inaccessible to me. I don't know how Apple can respond to this without full disclosure, giving us the ability to turn it off, and giving us the ability to delete the existing data in all locations.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not saying this isn't odd but a few things to mention:
    *This database isn’t storing GPS data. It’s just making a rough location fix based on nearby cell towers. The database can’t reveal where you were…only that you were in a certain vicinity. Sometimes it’s miles and miles off. This implies that the logfile’s purpose is to track the performance of the phone and the network, and not the movements of the user.

*A third party couldn’t get access to this file without physical access to your computer or your iPhone. Not unless you’ve jailbroken your iPhone and didn’t bother resetting its remote-access password…or there’s an unpatched exploit that would give Random Person On The Internet root access to your phone.

*It’s pretty much a non-issue if you’ve clicked the “Encrypt iPhone Backup” option in iTunes. Even with physical access to your desktop, a no-goodnik wouldn’t be able to access the logfile.
    via Andy Ihnatko
    http://ihnatko.com/2011/04/20/hey-wonderful-theres-a-location-tracking-file-on-my-iphone/

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The irony is that I'd probably happily opt-in to this if the data was being leveraged in a useful way. I'd love to have the ability to gather statistics on traffic trends and commute times. It's actually a wished-for-yet-technically-impossible component of an app I was working on last year. It's also obvious that this would be great information to determine dead zones in coverage area.

But I don't want it being done without my knowledge, and I don't want it being added to the shadowy consolidated.db file, and I don't want it to be inaccessible to me. I don't know how Apple can respond to this without full disclosure, giving us the ability to turn it off, and giving us the ability to delete the existing data in all locations.

This. Apple won't do it, but I'd love for them to set this up as an opt-in service with a completely anonymized crowd-sourcing component (traffic data, etc) and a carefully guarded and secure personal data component (so people can do all sorts of fun data analysis on where they spend their time).

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.