As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I don't think a screen protector is at all necessary.

it's not

this glass does not scratch easy (or at all really)
    2 of mine scratched (iPad 2s).

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    So Flipboard aggregates whatever sources you choose into a pleasing format but makes you read the original web page, ads and all, if the article isn't entirely contained in the feed. Zite gives you the option of using Reader when opening web pages so you just get the text but it's basically Pandora for your news and doesn't let you pick your sources.

Is there an app that is like Flipboard but takes advantage of Safari Reader so the experience is consistent and I don't have to read a web page? I hope Flipboard is updated with this but until then I guess I'll just open the articles in Safari and use the Reader.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I don't think a screen protector is at all necessary.

it's not

this glass does not scratch easy (or at all really)
    2 of mine scratched (iPad 2s).

Huh.
    You should probably look into selling your fingernails then, since they are apparently made of diamond. o_O

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Yeah, I haven't bothered with screen protectors on the iphone/ipad since back when I had an iPhone 3g, and even then I pulled it off for the last year or so that I had it. I've never had a scratch on the screen.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I have a old 2nd gen ipod touch (i think it's 3 years old), and I had that thing in my pocket every single moment I was awake. The glass looks like new in box, but the back is scratched to hell, even though I always had some sort of back cover on it.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    After doing a lot of searching I might have found two possibilities re: an rss reader with built-in instapaper-like functionality. I found Reeder and Early Edition 2. Reeder is basically just an RSS reader with your feeds listed whereas Early Editon 2 turns your RSS feed into a really pretty newspaper. That seems to be what I'm looking for but it's really vague about its instapaper mobilizer support and it is a paid app. Anybody use this app? I don't want to buy it unless I know it will serve me the entire article in an instapaper format from inside the app itself.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I love reeder on the iPhone and it's probably my second most used app ( behind mail). Haven't tried thenipad version, though. I've been using mobilerss since its free and Ive been pleasantly surprised. My biggest issue is that the built in browser for reign full pages has some issues, but the ability to try and render a partial rss feed as a full post more than makes up for it.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    After doing a lot of searching I might have found two possibilities re: an rss reader with built-in instapaper-like functionality. I found Reeder and Early Edition 2. Reeder is basically just an RSS reader with your feeds listed whereas Early Editon 2 turns your RSS feed into a really pretty newspaper. That seems to be what I'm looking for but it's really vague about its instapaper mobilizer support and it is a paid app. Anybody use this app? I don't want to buy it unless I know it will serve me the entire article in an instapaper format from inside the app itself.

Reeder is the best RSS reader I've ever used. It's got built-in Readability support that will turn truncated feeds into full feeds, but still within the Reeder interface, so you don't see any ads. And for sites that don't support the Readability view (of which I've come across very few, but there are some), Reeder also has Instapaper Mobilizer support, so you can open the page on the original site, but then click on the mobilizer and get readable, ad-free text that way. It's an extra step, but it's still pretty quick.

I do wish it had Twitter support, though. I love Flipboard for that reason, that I can pull in my Twitter feeds and lists, because I'm finding most of my news reading shifting away from RSS and toward Twitter. But no mobilizer support is almost a deal breaker, especially since the built-in Flipboard browser is not the best.

• Options
    Yeah, Flipboard is really cool but the cool formatting is not much use to me when I have to open the site to read the full article. I emailed the developers of The Early Edition to see how it uses mobilizer.

I also found another app called Mr. Reader. Seems to have a lot of features and customizability. Supports pretty much every mobilizer tech there is. Will continue evaluating.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I know this sounds a bit ridiculous, but how and (why I suppose) would I want to rss.

It's just a bit of Internet I am unaware of.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I know this sounds a bit ridiculous, but how and (why I suppose) would I want to rss.

It's just a bit of Internet I am unaware of.
    Imagine, instead of having to visit a website to read the news or get an update, that the website maintains a feed that publishes links and teasers to all of their content in.

Now imagine you can format those feeds, across multiple sites, into single, easy to digest source for all the news and stuff you care about.

So instead of visiting the BBC, the NYT, Bloomberg, Penny Arcade, MacRumors, and Engadget, you could launch one app and get all of it, formatted in a fun and quickly accessible format.

Honestly, RSS fell out of favor with me when Twitter took off, as it does roughly the same thing and is just as well maintained as an RSS by the big sources. Twitter also plugs into Flipboard nicely.

But do give RSS a shot and see what you think.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    It's not something I've done much myself but the new iPad is so nice for reading that I wanted to take advantage.

Basically what the really good RSS readers let you do is aggregate every RSS-enabled website you ever visit, organize the articles as they are created and then not only do you not have to check websites to see if they're updated but you can read the articles from inside the reader in a pleasing format that only gives you the text and images. You can also save the articles for later or share them through social networking sites.

No extraneous content like menus or ads. It makes article consumption as efficient as possible. It's like you're reading a newspaper or magazine that's connected to the Internet. In some cases like Flipboard and The Early Edition they even format your feeds to look like magazines or newspapers.

All you do is give the reader the URL of the RSS feed and it grabs it all. Some readers piggyback on services like Google Reader. A lot of apps also plug into RSS search engines so you don't even have go find the feed URLs yourself.

edit: Syndalis maybe you can tell me the advantage of Twitter over RSS because that's the second time I heard that. In my experience Twitter has more noise where you aren't guaranteed only articles but sometimes get chatter instead. I would also like to know of any "Twitter readers" that use Instapaper mobilizer/Readability to give you just the text and images. I know Tweetbot does but Flipboard does not which is why I started this whole research project.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote: »
    edit: Syndalis maybe you can tell me the advantage of Twitter over RSS because that's the second time I heard that. In my experience Twitter has more noise where you aren't guaranteed only articles but sometimes get chatter instead. I would also like to know of any "Twitter readers" that use Instapaper mobilizer/Readability to give you just the text and images. I know Tweetbot does but Flipboard does not which is why I started this whole research project.

Twitter didn't replace RSS for me, but it changed how I use RSS. I used to subscribe to a ton of sites that would post 40 or 50 times a day, every little Apple rumor or bit of tech news. The few interesting things they would post would get lost in the flood, as would the dates from other sites that updated less frequently. And I had a sorting scheme to help me separate the big feeds from the smaller ones, but even with that, coming home from work to see 500 unread items was intimidating.

So I moved those high volume feeds to Twitter, and now I just use RSS for my favourite sites, which tend to have fewer updates. I find Twitter is better for the firehose sites, since I don't care about most of what they post, but still want to be generally aware of what's going on. And then when I open Reeder I know that I'm very likely to be interested in what's in there. There's lots of noise on Twitter, sure, but I skim it, whereas with RSS I pay more attention.

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    elevature wrote: »
    Sage advice.

I've come to use Twitter and RSS in pretty much exactly the same way. Makes keeping up with the most interesting/important stuff much easier while still keeping at least a general awareness of everything else.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's not exactly RSS, but I've found Pulse to be a pretty wonderful RSS-like news aggregate. It has pretty much every single news site I visit built into it, so I found it an easy app to get into. You can even stick your twitter and Facebook feeds into it. You can't seem to add sites not provided by Pulse, though. I'd say it's a good introduction to the concept.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh man. So the other thing I have been looking into at length was movie playback. I wanted really high quality movies to watch on this gorgeous screen. Taking a ten gig 1080p MKV and transcoding it into an MP4 and then transferring it to the iPad was out of the question though. Not only did I not have the space but the quality might suffer. I looked into streaming options and settled with XBMC, AirVideo and PLEX.

XBMC seemed like a good choice but it's a jailbroken app and we probably won't see a jailbreak for the new iPad for awhile. AirVideo was also attractive but it didn't support 1080p yet and it only had support for transcoding MKVs.

PLEX on the other hand supports 1080p and while it supports transcoding it also has an ability called "Direct Streaming". What this does is if the MKV is using the right codec (H.264, which a lot are) then instead of transcoding it will simply take the video and audio out of the MKV container and re-mux it on the fly into a container the iPad supports. It does this without touching the video so there's no loss of quality.

After fiddling with the server I finally downloaded the PLEX app ($5). It immediately found the server on the network and after bumping up the WiFi stream quality to maximum (8Mbps bandwidth, 1080p) I played the video. It was gorgeous. I think as of right now this is the best way to play HD video. You can access this remotely via WiFi or a 3G/4G connection but it might skip more, of course.

Another interesting tidbit was this:

http://camerarentalz.com/2048-video-ipad-retina/

This guy is involved with RED cameras and has been experimenting with playing 2k video files on the iPad. It links to a cool discussion on a RED message board.

I wanted to share all of this with the thread in case anyone else was looking for an optimal solution.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Airvideo transcodes mp4s as well as mkvs.

• Options
    useless4 wrote: »
    Airvideo transcodes mp4s as well as mkvs.

What I meant is AirVideo's support of MKVs is only to transcode them.

• Options
    Got my BOOKback today. I'm surprised how much I like it. The texture is very nice to the touch. It's smooth to the touch but rough enough to provide a not-so-slick surface to hold onto. It's a texture I've definitely felt before, but I'm having a hard time remembering what I've felt it on before. It's a plastic, faux-leather type surface.

Application was fairly easy. I had to pull it back a few times to smooth out air bubbles, but doing so wasn't too much of a worry as it's designed to be removed and reapplied multiple times (says so on the package, and the adhesive is holding perfectly strong after adjusting it a few times). Once it's adhered to the surface it is somewhat on the more difficult side to remove, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. You have a little bit of room for error when applying it, but not too much. Just align the camera hole and you'll be fine.

I was also surprised at how thin it is, though I'm not entirely sure why. The "case" is basically an adhesive cover; sort of like a screen protector for the back. It will protect the metal backing from getting scratched, but that's it. There's no padding or any other sort of protection here, yet it makes the iPad feel "firmer" for some reason. It also fits perfectly fine into my Boa with the Smart Cover, which is much thicker than the BOOKback.

I'm oddly in love with the packaging for it, which is pure cardboard and just slightly thicker than the business envelope it shipped in. And speaking of the shipping, it's really fast. I ordered mine on Thursday, and it arrived via USPS today. I'm very happy with it, but I can understand why people would not be able to justify the $25 (closer to $30 after shipping) price point. If you just want something to protect the back from being scratched up, and would also like something that's wonderful to the touch and provides a less slick surface to grip, you ought to consider this. I also wholly recommend getting the one with the black logo whenever it comes back in stock as it gives a more unified look and doesn't clash as much with the whole look of the iPad when it's applied.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I'm really close to buying a 16 gb iPad 2, but I've got some big storage concerns. With reports of lots of apps increasing 2 to 3x in size, even without having music on my iPad, I'd be concerned about hitting the cap.

Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence that this is overblown?
    If you uninstall an app(presumably backed up), do you keep save games upon reinstalling?
    Will jailbreaking my iPad help at all, with installing pre-retina versions of apps that will already have been updated by the time I get one, or straight-up remove the high res images from an app?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Septus wrote: »
    I'm really close to buying a 16 gb iPad 2, but I've got some big storage concerns. With reports of lots of apps increasing 2 to 3x in size, even without having music on my iPad, I'd be concerned about hitting the cap.

Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence that this is overblown?
    If you uninstall an app(presumably backed up), do you keep save games upon reinstalling?
    Will jailbreaking my iPad help at all, with installing pre-retina versions of apps that will already have been updated by the time I get one, or straight-up remove the high res images from an app?

Regarding backups, yes. You can backup app data for nearly all apps (if not all of them) to your free 5gb of iCloud storage. Your app data is also saved when you sync/backup apps to your computer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    i only have apps (a lot of games mostly) on my 16gb ipad, with room to spare

but it would depend how much music you'd put on? since i know a lot of people have way more than 16gb of music in their collections

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    How many of them have updated with retina graphics?

I'm worried because of games taking 500 mg, up to a gig, and I might want a few of those, like galaxy on fire.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Music isn't much of a problem if you're using iTunes Match since you can easily download whatever you want to your iPad and then delete it to free up space. Videos are a bigger problem. My 16gb iPad is almost always full, and it's about half split between apps and videos. I like keeping episodes of TV shows on there to watch when I'm out, or to stream to my Apple TV. And it's not a huge pain to swap out episodes for new ones, but I wish I had more space so I didn't have to do it quite as often. I think when I upgrade to a new iPad I'm going with 32gb.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Black on black BOOKbacks are back in stock? FINALLY, I can ditch this awful kensington silicone back cover.

Also, I found these recently: http://www.bluelounge.com/products/kicks/

Using them on my wife's iPad and they do a nice job. Another good way to go if you want a very simple bit of protection for the back of your iPad.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I've been wanting to use my iPad to take notes with at work (replace my legal-pad). As silly as I feel asking, can anyone recommend me a stylus? I hear Wacom's Bamboo stuff is pretty nice, but I didn't know if any of you had run across something you really like.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've been wanting to use my iPad to take notes with at work (replace my legal-pad). As silly as I feel asking, can anyone recommend me a stylus? I hear Wacom's Bamboo stuff is pretty nice, but I didn't know if any of you had run across something you really like.

The Bamboo is nice, but the tip is VERY soft and I find that it shreds/tears easily. Mine only lasted about 3 weeks. Now, granted, my use case is mainly as an iPad POS/Credit Card terminal at my bakery (in addition to being used to sketch out cakes), so it may get more use than the average stylus buyer. That said, My absolute favorite stylus is the Cosmonaut. Despite the apparent bulkiness, it's very easy to write legibly with it.

If you'd like something smaller, the AluPen has become my standby for the bakery. It's a bit thinner (more like a sharpie, as opposed to a dry erase marker like the Cosmonaut), and the tip is still pretty sturdy.

My final honorable mention is the DaVinci. It feels a lot like holding a paintbrush, and is very comfortable for both sketching and writing. It's kind of triangle shaped, so it rests very comfortably on your index finger, middle finger, and thumb. Really solid stylus if either of the other two seem too bulky for you.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I tried Amazon's own stylus and the Adonit Jot. The Amazon stylus is the basic squishy rounded tip stylus. It has a good angle of use but you need to press kind of hard to use it. I like to use it to color things in when I'm drawing.

The Adonit Jot uses a plastic disc attached to a small ball joint. This gives you the feeling of writing with a pen. It's very precise and because the disc is transparent you can see where you're putting it. You also don't have to press very hard to register anything.The disc and screen have to be cleaned in order for it to work well and the disc only works at an angle of 45 degrees or more. The disc also makes a faint clicking noise as you're writing which some people find annoying. I like it a lot.

Also my Booq case came in. It is pretty basic. But the elastic side is very squishy and it's obviously grippier than carrying the iPad around without anything. I'll probably get something else after I've done more research and I've recovered from all the money I've spent on apps :P

Sarksus on
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I just got my iPad 3 today and I got to say this thing is even better than I expected. The screen is just great. I see it getting tons of daily use. If it wasn't for Poker I wouldn't even need to use my netbook again. Now I just gotta figure out how to avoid fighting over it with the wife and kids.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Thanks @minor incident

I'm gonna try the AluPen. :)

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    In Safari is there a shortcut swipe or something to go back to the top of the page?

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    How many of them have updated with retina graphics?

I'm worried because of games taking 500 mg, up to a gig, and I might want a few of those, like galaxy on fire.

not sure, but i keep them all up to date
    i have a lot of common games, such as infinity blade 2, angry birds HD, some other stuff. not sure if they're all retina upgraded yet

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    In Safari is there a shortcut swipe or something to go back to the top of the page?

Tap the black bar "clock" at the top of the screen.

This scrolls you to the top in any scrolling app.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Same as in basically every app that uses the built in scroll api; tap the top bar where the clock/battery/signal indicators are.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    legionlegion North YorkRegistered User regular
    Is there a gesture for the reverse of the top of the page tap? As in, something that immediately brings you to the bottom of the page? It'd be really useful for forums that put thread navigation at the bottom of the page instead of at the top and bottom.

• Options
    legion wrote: »
    Is there a gesture for the reverse of the top of the page tap? As in, something that immediately brings you to the bottom of the page? It'd be really useful for forums that put thread navigation at the bottom of the page instead of at the top and bottom.

There's not, but I really wish there was. That would be incredibly useful.

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    I'm all Mac'd up with an iMac, iPod Touch, and iPad, and I have iTunes Match to simplify my music. But- is it just me or has syncing become more convoluted with this? It wouldn't let me sync playlists like I used to because Match was on. But it also wasn't clear on the iPod how to download music (not stream- important for tomorrow's road trip). So I'm re-syncing with Match OFF, but it looks like the playlists didn't copy either (though it isn't done). All in all- I think this should just be a "plug it in- tell it what you want, DONE." I think it used to be like that too...

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    You should be able to manually sync against your computer in iTunes and tell it what put on there. At least that what I still do with my iPhone. Yeah I've read about issues with iTunes Match which is one reason I've not went with it yet...

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Syncing is all sorts of fucked up. It was fine before iTunes Match, but I'm not sure if it's because of that or some bug in iOS 5.1 or whatever version Lion is on. I had Match turned on for a while on my phone, but when I tried to download stuff from iCloud, it only worked about half the time. Twice all the album art on my phone disappeared overnight. I turned it off and I'm back to syncing manually, but even that's not working perfectly. Sometimes art doesn't sync over. And just now I tried syncing an album to my phone, and though I dragged 12 songs from my iTunes library to the phone, it would only sync one song. It's very frustrating.

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    I have a question pseudo-related to all this syncing talk:

When my parents got iPhones, I set up their music the same way I have mine set up on my iPhone. I created a playlist for each of them on their desktop (“Dad’s iPhone” and “Mom’s iPhone), ripped their CDs to their computer, added songs to their playlists, and then told their iPhones to sync to that playlist. Standard, right?

Well, they’re completely scared of computers, and have never plugged their phones into the computer to sync them without my prodding. Yet when they’re at my house (8 hours away from their computer) they want me to add some of my music to their phones. I’ve currently been telling them that it’s impossible to do that from my computer and that I’d have to remote into their computer when they get home and add my music to theirs via dropbox and then move them to the playlists, then sync. Of course by the time they’re home, their 8 hour drive back home is done and they have no interest in messing with it. They have no interest in taking care of their own computer issues, but they’re also very unwilling to put forth any effort even when I’m the one doing most of the work.

Is there some easy way to add additional music to iPhones from a new computer without overwriting things or messing up the syncs to other computers? Is this where checking the box next to “Manually Manage Music and Videos” or looking into iTunes Match (seems drastic for this application) is appropriate?

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist