Options

[BIOSHOCK INFINITE] Experience digital jingoism March 26th.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    holy fuck, I was thinking about the end
    ing
    and remembered this bit earlier on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e4Crth_Hb8

goddamnit this game is excellent
    Melkster wrote: »
    Woah woah woah --

I'm watching this interview with Ken Levine. There's a scene at 7:17 that I never saw in the game. Did I miss it?

Woah --

Finished watching it and wow, they must have cut a ton of content.

That was from the last trailer they did before Beast of America and whatnot.

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Woah woah woah --

I'm watching this interview with Ken Levine. There's a scene at 7:17 that I never saw in the game. Did I miss it?

Woah --

Yah, I've been watching this game for the past bloody YEAR, and they've cut a TON of stuff. For instance, remember in the gameplay vid where Liz tries to save the horse? And you have the timed "Euthanize" option, and the "Save the Postman" option? None of those. I heard somewhere that Ken Levine said they cut like, 4 games worth of content.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I just got a bloody nose randomly and my first thought was "oh shit did I die"

god damn it Bioshock Infinite

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that happens to me frequently, and now I am paranoid.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Ending spoilers.
    i hope we get dlc in 1984 Columbia. Really want to see how fucked it is after 60 years of Queen Liz.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    So, I'm pretty happy I gave Ken Levine 60 dollars.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    ignore

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    anyone have the link for that imgur gallery where the guy took screencaps using noclip to get views you normally wouldn't see?

edit: Found it! Spoilers inside!

Tav on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Well, I gave 1999 mode a try.
    I've died once, and only just reached the bar where I get my shield.
    Is this likely to improve matters, or should I just give up and play on a slightly less painful mode?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    If its your first play through, stick it on easy, you'll thank me, hard mode is a breeze until the last quarter of the game and then it spikes so high it's a slog, I imagine 1999 will be even worse

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Woah woah woah --

Woah --

Ah, I remember hearing about this scene in various podcasts over the last few months. I guess when I played the game, I assumed that they had all been talking about the lottery scene, but clearly they're quite different.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    If its your first play through, stick it on easy, you'll thank me, hard mode is a breeze until the last quarter of the game and then it spikes so high it's a slog, I imagine 1999 will be even worse

Well, you can change the difficulty at any time. I've played most of the game on hard and just switched it to medium whenever it's started to feel like a slog. I guess it just depends if you care about achievements.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    You seem to have missed a couple of things Stolls
    1974 was the battle of wounded knee, not the day Booker was born, it's listed as Comstocks birthday because Comstock was born from Bookers baptism later that year.

I would imagine since the Vox had obviously taken control of the whole city that they plenty of airships to steal and repurpose.

And I wouldn't call rampant mob mentality and wholesale slaughter "more organized" not that Daisy was subtle, but she got a mob riled up and then got killed which turned their fury up to 11 with no one firmly in charge.

I completely agree about the weapons. It seemed that I never had ammo for what I wanted to use and I was always being forced to use weapons I had no interest in. But they all were boring anyway so what did it matter.

Actually,
    Wounded Knee was 1890, and Columbia launched in 1893. The Wikia has a snapshot of Booker's Pinkerton documents, stating he was born in 1874. He would've been sixteen at the time of Wounded Knee, and - even as Comstock - nineteen by the time Columbia launched. Even if he wasn't that young, that's a very short period of time to go from the baptism that created Comstock to amassing enough personal fame and fortune for the project.

As for the Vox stuff, that's exactly it: there was no one in charge. It just strains credulity that an angry, now-leaderless mob would be able to seize several zeppelins and mount a large, coordinated assault on Comstock's barge. There may well have been someone running the show off camera, but in the game it just felt like a flimsy reason to have an epic aerial battle. Don't get me wrong, I had fun playing it, I just didn't buy into the setup.

Well damn, the hell was I thinking.

• Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I did get the impression a ton of content has been cut, but there's always DLC, don't be surprised to see this stuff turn up later.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/13/324305/

Although reading that link, does make me really nervous about irrational ever releasing DLC for this.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    AJR wrote: »

Well, you can change the difficulty at any time. I've played most of the game on hard and just switched it to medium whenever it's started to feel like a slog. I guess it just depends if you care about achievements.

When you select 1999 mode it tells you the difficulty will be locked there.

I made it through on 1999 mode my first time through; it was annoying at times, but the tension was brilliant.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    oh my god.
    OH. MY. GOD.
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED. I was just playing and then doing all these things and killing all these people and shit and then the ending happened and and and and...... OH MY GOD. Blown away... I don't even know man. I don't even.

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    As someone who hated the first game's combat mechanics (really, it took 3 full attempts to finally suffer through it to get to the ending), this game has much improved combat... still not great but serviceable, and the set pieces are way better.

If you feel the combat is irritating, just max out the shield vigor, then it just becomes a joke... standing in the middle of a firefight taking no damage from anything (including Handymen), receiving all their ammunition and mowing everyone down. Even 1999 mode would be cake with that vigor.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I did get the impression a ton of content has been cut, but there's always DLC, don't be surprised to see this stuff turn up later.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/13/324305/

Although reading that link, does make me really nervous about irrational ever releasing DLC for this.

They sold a season pass, they damn well better drop some DLC.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    oh my god.
    OH. MY. GOD.
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED. I was just playing and then doing all these things and killing all these people and shit and then the ending happened and and and and...... OH MY GOD. Blown away... I don't even know man. I don't even.

Prepare to spend the next several days rolling it over in your mind again and again, arguing with people in this thread via obscenely long spoiler chains, compulsively reading every article and watching every video you can find, and having several more smaller OH MY GOD moments at random as you realize the greater importance of seemingly minor art, music and dialog choices.

God Speed, man.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Docken wrote: »
    As someone who hated the first game's combat mechanics (really, it took 3 full attempts to finally suffer through it to get to the ending), this game has much improved combat... still not great but serviceable, and the set pieces are way better.

If you feel the combat is irritating, just max out the shield vigor, then it just becomes a joke... standing in the middle of a firefight taking no damage from anything (including Handymen), receiving all their ammunition and mowing everyone down. Even 1999 mode would be cake with that vigor.

But you get it extremely late, unless I missed it earlier on. I easily could have missed such a thing though.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The earliest you can get it is Port Prosperity, within the last few hours of the game.

It is a fantastic vigor, but Docken is wrong about it being a gamebreaker since enemies can still flank/bash you.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    There's a vendor for Bucking Bronco at the fair in the very beginning, can you actually win enough to buy it?

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    There's a vendor for Bucking Bronco at the fair in the very beginning, can you actually win enough to buy it?

Pretty sure you can't. I had spend over an hour just getting to that point and there is no way I missed any money except maybe a few single coins.

Think it serves as a teaser, you can see it but can't afford it at the time.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    I loved the game but I still think that the gameplay mechanics weren't any good. Don't get me wrong, I loved Bioshock Infinite but it was lacking in almost every aspect of the shooting (= 90% of the game). I'm just glad that the setting, the story and the atmosphere were great.

I can't help but feel that I would've felt kind of ripped of if I've bought it, I'm really glad that I got it for free with my Radeon.

It also should've handled the difficulty spike towards the end better. Played it on hard and had no real problems but some fights dragged a little bit in the last third of the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I absolutely adore the metaphysical implications when playing this game for a second time.

It feels so right.

Especially when, given the choice, you do things slightly differently.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    I'm tempted to just replay all the 0451 games in order.
    Pros: It's all the 0451 games.
    Including spiritual references, that's:
    System Shock 2
    Deus Ex
    Bioshock (and 2, just because)
    Deus Ex: HR
    Dishonored
    Infinite
    (any I've missed?)
    Cons: Finding free time around my job, it will probably take me until October at best.

Decisions.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    My brother finally beat the game the other day, so I could discuss it with thim

ENDING SPOILERS
    The baptism was the anomaly that spawned the infinite realities, right? My brother seems to think drowning Booker at the baptism was pointless, because there should be another universe where Booker still goes to the baptism and accepts it/walks away.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

ENDING SPOILERS
    The baptism was the anomaly that spawned the infinite realities, right? My brother seems to think drowning Booker at the baptism was pointless, because there should be another universe where Booker still goes to the baptism and accepts it/walks away.

Yes BUT
    You only control that Booker DeWitt, not any of the others. They'r eessentially completely different characters. So yes, your brother may well be right but that Booker Dewitt tangent is all tied up. The more confusing thing is why all the Elizabeths vanish. He's the father of only one of them.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

ENDING SPOILERS
    the idea is that in any universe where Comstock is created now, elizabeths will be around to end him

• Options
    edited April 2013
    OH GOD SOMETHING ELSE CLICKED!
    Endgame bviously
    Comstock couldn't have children but the Archangel he kept seeing told him his child would carry on his work. So that's why Anna is taken! Fuck, it only just clicked for me. Anna is technically his child.

I am so dumb.

edit: NOTE TO SELF, WHEN POSTING GAME RUINING SPOILERS, HIT THE PREVIEW BUTTON FIRST! That was so fucking close. D:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Endgame bviously
    Comstock couldn't have children but the Archangel he kept seeing told him his child would carry on his work. So that's why Anna is taken! Fuck, it only just clicked for me. Anna is technically his child.

I am so dumb.

edit: NOTE TO SELF, WHEN POSTING GAME RUINING SPOILERS, HIT THE PREVIEW BUTTON FIRST! That was so fucking close. D:

Heh, really glad I finished this game the other day, because a few hours later as I was skimming this thread someone accidentally used quote brackets instead of spoiler brackets briefly.

Also, re: existence of Columbia: (don't click if you haven't finished)
    At one point I think Elizabeth seems surprised that Booker has never heard of Columbia, and Booker responds with something like "guess I just never paid attention to the news" which didn't sit well with me at the time. But now it all makes sense that he'd never heard of it since it never existed in his world.

• Options

ENDING SPOILERS
    the idea is that in any universe where Comstock is created now, elizabeths will be around to end him
    How so? They all disappeared

Man... just when I think I have a grasp on the ending/story to this game...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

ENDING SPOILERS

I maintain
    That the significance of the multiple Elizabeths and her flat out stating that it's not the place from his baptism flashback that the Elizabeths were drowning every possible instance of Booker/Comstock at once.

That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular

ENDING SPOILERS
    As I saw it, you being drowned was just shorthand for all Booker's being drowned, thus removing Comstock from the entire multi-verse.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    101 wrote: »

ENDING SPOILERS
    As I saw it, you being drowned was just shorthand for all Booker's being drowned, thus removing Comstock from the entire multi-verse.

The problem with that is
    If all the Bookers/Comstocks are drowned by Elizabeth, Comstock ceases to exist, so he never takes Anna, so she never becomes Elizabeth, so she can't drown Booker/Comstock, so Comstock can exist, so he can take Anna, so she can become Elizabeth, so she can drown oh my God I've gone cross eyed.
    This game ended with a paradox which you really can't argue the 'right' outcome of, at least until we actually manage to create a paradox in the real world to see what happens. I'm sure someone's working on it somewhere. For Science!
    A different question from all of this.
    Where does Elizabeth get her power from? An early Lutece Voxophone says (in retrospect) that it's because she's not from this reality.
    But neither is Booker. And neither is/was one of the Luteces.
    Could he open tears? Is it a matter of developing the power over a period of time?
    Or could a grown Anna, who was never taken to Columbia, develop the same powers?

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

(Just had a thought that it may be because part of her was actually left behind in her home reality thanks to the portal cut. If so, that's pretty goddam grim)

klemming on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Where does Elizabeth get her power from? An early Lutece Voxophone says (in retrospect) that it's because she's not from this reality.
    Could he open tears? Is it a matter of developing the power over a period of time?
    Or could a grown Anna, who was never taken to Columbia, develop the same powers?

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

(Just had a thought that it may be because part of her was actually left behind in her home reality thanks to the portal cut. If so, that's pretty goddam grim)
    Popular theory is the severed finger means she is part of two universes, thus the powers.

• Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Endgame bviously

I am so dumb.

Heh, really glad I finished this game the other day, because a few hours later as I was skimming this thread someone accidentally used quote brackets instead of spoiler brackets briefly.

Also, re: existence of Columbia: (don't click if you haven't finished)
    At one point I think Elizabeth seems surprised that Booker has never heard of Columbia, and Booker responds with something like "guess I just never paid attention to the news" which didn't sit well with me at the time. But now it all makes sense that he'd never heard of it since it never existed in his world.

I am so sorry for that quote snafu. D:

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    about the ending
    Post-credits show that at least one booker is alive in some world, with Anna in his office -- with the luteces never coming to claim Anna, because there is no comstock/columbia.

• Options
    MrDelish wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Popular theory is the severed finger means she is part of two universes, thus the powers.

I'm pretty sure there's a Voxophone that alludes to this. Yeah, here it is:
    Rosalind Lutece: What makes the girl different? I suspect is has less to do with what she is, and rather more with what she is not. A small part of her remains from where she came. It would seem the universe does not like its peas mixed with its porridge.

• Options
    Alegis wrote: »
    about the ending
    Post-credits show that at least one booker is alive in some world, with Anna in his office -- with the luteces never coming to claim Anna, because there is no comstock/columbia.
    That's one way to interpret that I guess. We don;t really know if Anna's in there or not since the game very lamely fades to black

This discussion has been closed.