Options

[BIOSHOCK INFINITE] Experience digital jingoism March 26th.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    My favorite's still the sniper rifle, just because there's few things more satisfying than getting the drop on some guys and popping four of 'em off before they even turn around.

• Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I do want to go on record as feeling that this game is very console-port-ish. The weapon limit, lack of inventory etc. I dunno, it just rubbed me up wrong. Its a great one but a port imo nonetheless.

Rambling Theory on the weapon limits:
    I was actually thinking about this last night. So, through the game, you can only hold two weapons, but you can flip between all your vigors. Seems an odd choice, but then it suddenly made sense to me. This is a game that spends a lot of time dealing with the themes of choice and regret; the weapon limitation is just another facet of it. Booker is a man on a mission due largely to his regret over the choices he's made (or at least, in his head he is), and imposing a small limit on the weapons you carry causes the player to frequently make similar choices, albeit on a smaller scale. How many times did you trade your sniper for an RPG, only to wish you had the sniper back a short time later?

On the other hand (literally), you can use any Vigor you've collected at any time. Vigors are basically MAGIC!, and like all MAGIC!, they don't have to follow the rules of the world. Just like Elizabeth; Chen Lin is dead? Let's just use MAGIC! to circumvent the normal order of things.

You can very neatly tie each back to Booker, a man who is, after all, just a man, and defined and haunted by the choices he must make, or to Elizabeth can disrupt the natural order of things and for whom no choice has permanent consequence.

That's an awesome view of it, personally, I'm more utilitarian:
    the weapons are rather large and bulky. I thought it was pretty silly that you carried around a metric ton of metal with you towards the end game. Sure, you're a Big Daddy, but how goldurn big are your pockets to fit a flamethrower, rocket launcher, crossbow, tommy gun, etc.? This is very simple, I find it very reasonable that you can have a Carbine in hand, and a Shotgun slung around the back. It can be argued that you can also holster a pistol to your waist, but you also got that Sky Hook already taking up space. There is a lot of hardware on your character at any given time. Having two weapons makes a lot of sense from a physical realism perspective on a giant floating city, which already streches the limits of what is theorhetically possible. Also it keeps the pace of battle vigorous, as your emptying out a gun, throwing it to the floor, picking up another one and just going through that way. I tend to Occam's Razor a lot of things, though :P

Whereas I think there are weapon limits
    since why would you ever need anything but the Carbine and the Handcannon. :p Once I got those I never dropped them for the rest of the game and never really had ammo issues. Incredibly powerful.

Sorta secret weapon spoiler and question:
    I have a question! I Picked up a Heater the other day. I was so happy, I was overjoyed, I didn't even steal it because I waited till the shit hit the fan before going into the toy store and taking it off the wall. I ran out of ammunition, then, happily went over to a vendor to pick up more...there was no ammunition, I never found any ammunition for it, I had to, with a solitary manly tear making its way down my cheek, drop it to actually be capable of fighting. Is there any ammunition for the Heater out there? That gun was beyond badass

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    This game was the first one since Bastion that got me really passionate about weapon choices. I mean, I'd pick up other things whenever I needed to tackle a particular situation, but for the most part, it was Carbine + Shotgun all the way.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Just finished the game last night in a marathon session. Overall I really liked it.

The end ... man. I felt it coming as it got closer, and I kept dreading it, but it did. Man it was a gut punch.

Kudos to Irrational for making something that emotional.

• Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    This game was the first one since Bastion that got me really passionate about weapon choices. I mean, I'd pick up other things whenever I needed to tackle a particular situation, but for the most part, it was Carbine + Shotgun all the way.

I like your thinking there! Carbine for them far-off guys, shotgun when they get sassy in your face.

Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Sorta secret weapon spoiler and question:
    I have a question! I Picked up a Heater the other day. I was so happy, I was overjoyed, I didn't even steal it because I waited till the shit hit the fan before going into the toy store and taking it off the wall. I ran out of ammunition, then, happily went over to a vendor to pick up more...there was no ammunition, I never found any ammunition for it, I had to, with a solitary manly tear making its way down my cheek, drop it to actually be capable of fighting. Is there any ammunition for the Heater out there? That gun was beyond badass
    It's a REPLICA heater. You get the real deal later in the game.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I pretty much stuck to the Hand Cannon and the Machine Gun myself. Upgraded the MG is a bullet hose with a massive clip and the Hand Cannon is a thing of beauty.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular

I like your thinking there! Carbine for them far-off guys, shotgun when they get sassy in your face.

I love Carbine + Shotgun too.

Mostly because M1 Carbine was my favorite Call of Duty weapon.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Jephery wrote: »

I love Carbine + Shotgun too.

Mostly because M1 Carbine was my favorite Call of Duty weapon.

My love for it is due to the fact that I love Red Orchestra.

• Options
    Oh man. I just thought up an amazing build for my 1999 run, but it would involve upgrading another weapon, and I've already upgraded 3...I'm starting to get worried about money, but it would be such a fun build.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    It's all about the sniper rifle, at least for 1999..

• Options
    Sirson wrote: »
    It's all about the sniper rifle, at least for 1999..
    See, it's not, because the build I've thought of is doom guy.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I'm going to start 1999 mode and collect all the doodads with a guide - my plan is to focus on upgrading possession and the ram, the carbine and the machine gun. I'll upgrade health, shields, and salts equally.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Why Ram? It seemed pretty garbage.

Possession for less upgrade is an absolute goddamn must though. Like if I dare attempt a 1999 run, I imagine that'll be my first (and indeed only, for a while) purchase.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Is there a point to upgrading health? I've not put a single point into it, stacking my Shield instead to soak up the hits. Is there something about Health that makes it a good investement?

My thinking for shields is that they regenerate, health, even without a single point into it takes 10 hotdogs to move a cm.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Is there a point to upgrading health? I've not put a single point into it, stacking my Shield instead to soak up the hits. Is there something about Health that makes it a good investement?

My thinking for shields is that they regenerate, health, even without a single point into it takes 10 hotdogs to move a cm.

Shields deplete waaaay faster than health so any given sliver of health might be worth 2 or 3 slivers of shield. I thought the exact same thing, but it's a false saving and you should dump the points evenly imo.

Oh brilliant
  • Options

Shields deplete waaaay faster than health so any given sliver of health might be worth 2 or 3 slivers of shield. I thought the exact same thing, but it's a false saving and you should dump the points evenly imo.

Oh okay, I'll try to adjust. See, I'm a very very VERY conservative player when it comes to FPS. I play on the Hardest difficulty I can, and basically turtle and camp, only exposing myself to gunfire for short bursts here and there.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

Well the shield upgrades don't go very far in comparison to the health upgrades. What I've seen people doing is upgrading the shield some so that it doesn't easily break and then upgrading health. I don't rely too much on food for health regeneration, either. There are so many vending machines and health kits everywhere.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Shield upgrades are worth it if you play a run out - headshot - back into cover style game so you take some hits, but not enough to break it, health upgrades are more likely to save you in a pitched battle where you can't easily hide

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I pretty much stuck to the Hand Cannon and the Machine Gun myself. Upgraded the MG is a bullet hose with a massive clip and the Hand Cannon is a thing of beauty.

I stuck with Carbine + Shotgun/RPG most of the game, but next time I play through it I think I'll go with upgrading the Machine Gun first and stick with it as my primary weapon. The main reason for this is that basically every other enemy seems to carry a MG, so you never have to worry about running out of ammo.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Shield upgrades are worth it if you play a run out - headshot - back into cover style game so you take some hits, but not enough to break it, health upgrades are more likely to save you in a pitched battle where you can't easily hide

That's exactly how I play, I"m always behind a wall, pop out, headshot, pop in. If they get close, SHOTGUN RAIN!

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

A big healthbar can facilitate hit and run tactics too. Finding ways to replenish the bar isn't too difficult, especially if you have the gear that has a chance to turn kills into health.

• Options
    Is there a trick to fighting the Handymen? I played on normal and they just took forever to kill, usually involving a death or two on my part.

Seriously the only reason I'm hesitant to try a 1999 run is because of those fuckers.

• Options
    Is there a trick to fighting the Handymen? I played on normal and they just took forever to kill, usually involving a death or two on my part.

Seriously the only reason I'm hesitant to try a 1999 run is because of those fuckers.

Shock jock and undertow to control them. I'm pretty sure shock jock traps work. Then you can ram them or shoot at their hearts! And there are normally skylines or hooks around when they appear so use those a lot!

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I got the Tunnel Vision gear early in the game and then didn't find another pair of pants for about the next two-thirds of the game. Suffice it to say I got used to using iron-sights to fight everything, and when that's your main option the powerful single-shot weapons like the Carbine and the Sniper Rifle become your best friends. Combined with Head Master, most things still died in one shot on Hard. Which was why I tended to focus on my Shield through the infusions; I used my shield to let the enemy fire a few shots at me to establish their location, ducked back under cover to get the shield back, pop out and fire, then repeat. Served me well for everything that wasn't, say, a Handyman.

"Oh hey, my scope suddenly seems to be full of large mechanical man, and also I am dead. Interesting."

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    1999 mode has managed to convince me I'm no longer Hardcore.
    One death before I got the shield, three after, and I still haven't even reached Elizabeth.

I figure I either give up on this, or become angry and bitter about my lack of skills.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Build wise, I loved charge with the right equipment and a shotgun. One piece of clothing gave me a chance at replenishing my salts on every kill and another did the same for health. Along with charge's shield replenishment I was basically invincible.

glimmung on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Charge seemed interesting; my deal with it is that I want to see if you can go all Mass Effect Vanguard with it. Fully upgraded Charge + Bucking Bronco + Shotgun?

*e* The more I think about it, the more I'm actually sad that there's NOT a multiplayer mode. I know why the design team didn't want to do it, because they really needed to focus on the story, but can you imagine? Multiplayer with skylines? Testing out builds you'd NEVER use in main play against other PCs?

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    I love when a game comes along, such as Bioshock Infinite, that creates such a great discussion on the forum here.

I've loved reading everyone's spoilers of how they interpreted the ending and found little hints and clues along the way to backup their theory. It's not often a games story is so engaging, so kudos to Irrational for creating such a thought provoking gem.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    Charge seemed interesting; my deal with it is that I want to see if you can go all Mass Effect Vanguard with it. Fully upgraded Charge + Bucking Bronco + Shotgun?

You basically can go full Vanguard. Disengaging is harder though, as you can only charge at enemies.

• Options
    Funnily enough, with my doomguy build, I basically want my shield broken at all times ever.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Charge is incredible; it has a low salt cost, it hits fairly hard, and it replenishes your shields.

Handcannon vanguarding erry day.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    I got Charge late and never used it. Might have to rectify that on my second playthrough.

Also gonna have to use a guide for all the voxophones. I thought I was pretty thorough but I barely got half the number for the achievement.

• Options
    also hey why is everyone's suspension of disbelief broken by vigors, but not by the fucking clothes? how the hell do magic pants and shirts let me cover myself with an ice shield when I jump on a skyline? why does my hat make me do more damage when I've murdered more mans!? why do my shoes make me incapable of aiming without using the scope??? ???????

PANTS

• Options
    also hey why is everyone's suspension of disbelief broken by vigors, but not by the fucking clothes? how the hell do magic pants and shirts let me cover myself with an ice shield when I jump on a skyline? why does my hat make me do more damage when I've murdered more mans!? why do my shoes make me incapable of aiming without using the scope??? ???????

PANTS
    Because it's AWESOME

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

PANTS

the only reason i can think of is because the gear is a more explicitly gamey thing, and its not addressed in world at all. it would be funny if there were ads for magic pants and stuff though, now that i think about.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Why Ram? It seemed pretty garbage.

Possession for less upgrade is an absolute goddamn must though. Like if I dare attempt a 1999 run, I imagine that'll be my first (and indeed only, for a while) purchase.

Dude. DUDE. With some melee gear equipped, an upgraded ram can clear a room of goons in seconds. And it's the most fun to use of all the powers.

• Options
    Charging up a charge with the wind going and the skyhook spinning faster and faster and then you SCHWOOZH forward is so much fun.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Ram triggers all your melee effects, which I'm not sure it says on the bottle.

But if you run it with the shock punch, melee vulnerability and basically anything else, it's crazy powerful. Even patriots just melt on Hard. Make sure you've got your shield as high as it can go and the upgrades.

Haven't tried it on 1999 yet.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options

PANTS

Clothing is a left over from an earlier more permanent perk system. There were probably xp and story based unlocks in an earlier build.

This discussion has been closed.