As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New contact lens question

CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, I just got my first pair of contact lenses today, not a very strong prescription. Also, I've never owned glasses so this is my first non-normal vision experience.

I got them so I could see stuff far away better. That part seems to work already, without my eyes needing much adjustment. However, I'm having some difficulty seeing up close. Like typing this, the text isn't as clear and focused as usual.

Is this a tradeoff I need to decide on with contacts, or will my eyes get used to focusing on some new place to accommodate for the contacts in my eyes?

Cognisseur on

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Hard to say. Initial blurriness is apparently common with new contact lenses, but you may also just be far sighted.

Mention it to your optometrist. They'll be able to tell you if it's something to expect, or if there's something wrong.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For one, wait a while till you get used to them. Your brain takes a few days to adjust to a new prescription.

Secondly I had a problem with contacts where my eyes naturally are more dilated than normal or I just have big pupils or something, so unless I was outside in the sun or in a brightly lit area, everything would be a bit fuzzy and give me slight double vision because my pupils were partially looking out of the non focused areas of the contact. Maybe it's that? Ought to be easy to check.

A computer screen definitely shouldn't be harder to read than it was without them. It must be a really weak prescription... Not sure why you'd bother with contacts at that point.

-Scott

NotYou on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It took me a week or two to adjust to my first pair of contacts. I'd had a little trouble focusing up close (although note that I couldn't see for squat even up close without contacts, so it wasn't like they were making things worse), and they were painful (semi-rigid), and I kept blinking them out of position. Eventually I adjusted and all that pretty much went away.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I actually JUST got contacts for the first time as well. They work ok, also a weak prescription, .75

My issue is in the office, with forced A/C, my eyes are super dry and agitated. Do your eyes ever get used to the contact and start pumping out the tears more? I need a really sad story right now.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    NotYou wrote: »
    It must be a really weak prescription... Not sure why you'd bother with contacts at that point.

-Scott

You know, a bunch of people told me that and I don't understand why. If I'm having trouble reading far away signs and subtitles and such and there exists an easy solution for it, why not take it?

I feel like there's some crazy hidden cost that I haven't discovered yet. I have insurance so this is a cheap way to magically improve my senses. I'm one step closer to being a badass cyborg!

I'm kind of surprised that people don't get contacts when their vision is somewhat but not terribly bad. I just don't see the downside.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    NotYou wrote: »
    It must be a really weak prescription... Not sure why you'd bother with contacts at that point.

You know, a bunch of people told me that and I don't understand why. If I'm having trouble reading far away signs and subtitles and such and there exists an easy solution for it, why not take it?

I feel like there's some crazy hidden cost that I haven't discovered yet. I have insurance so this is a cheap way to magically improve my senses. I'm one step closer to being a badass cyborg!

I'm kind of surprised that people don't get contacts when their vision is somewhat but not terribly bad. I just don't see the downside.

I just always thought they were a bit of a hassle. I probably wouldn't wear glasses very often at all if I could use a computer without em. But to each their own, and it's pretty cool your insurance covers it.

NotYou on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Namel3ss wrote: »
    I actually JUST got contacts for the first time as well. They work ok, also a weak prescription, .75

My issue is in the office, with forced A/C, my eyes are super dry and agitated. Do your eyes ever get used to the contact and start pumping out the tears more? I need a really sad story right now.

Nah, they get dry and stay dry. You'll need to get eye drops. Just make sure you get ones that are meant for contact lenses. Visene has a chemical in it that will actually harm your lenses.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

You can also just get a bottle of optical saline, which will be by the no-rub solution your optometrist probably has you buying. Should be about $2, lasts forever, and very useful for cleaning off that piece of towel fuzz that gets stuck to your contact, or flooding your eyes if you get a lash caught somewhere annoying.

cabsy on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've found that whenever I wear my contacts my up close focus is delayed by a half second. It's really noticeable when I'm reading and I look away from the book and the try to look back my eyes don't focus immediately. Not a big deal. I usually read when I'm going to bed so I just take out my contacts most of the time anyway. I don't notice this any other time.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Nah, they get dry and stay dry. You'll need to get eye drops. Just make sure you get ones that are meant for contact lenses. Visene has a chemical in it that will actually harm your lenses.

Never been an issue for me. I wear Acuvue Oasys (or however the heck you spell that), and my eyes don't dry out on me. Unless I've been wearing them for 14-16 hours straight. My doc told me that the cleaning solution I use for 'em can also be used as drops, but I've never felt the need. My prescription is fairly strong (-5.0 & -4.5 I believe)

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My Optometrist specifically warned me not to use Visene as long term use constricts the blood vessels in the eyes. I don't have anything to back this up other than his word, of course. Anyway, the staff there gave me Blink eye drops which work great for me.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I've found that whenever I wear my contacts my up close focus is delayed by a half second. It's really noticeable when I'm reading and I look away from the book and the try to look back my eyes don't focus immediately. Not a big deal. I usually read when I'm going to bed so I just take out my contacts most of the time anyway. I don't notice this any other time.

Exactly this, with me.

I've also got a fairly light prescription (-1.75), but looking at things up close does this to me, too. The initial blurriness is probably something you'll get used to - but I've been wearing contacts for years, and this still happens. It's so minor, though, that it doesn't really bother me. If it does bother me, I just switch to my glasses, and take them off to do whatever it is I need to up-close.

Also wear Acuvue Oasys (as the poster above mentioned) and they're great.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    embrik wrote: »

Never been an issue for me. I wear Acuvue Oasys (or however the heck you spell that), and my eyes don't dry out on me. Unless I've been wearing them for 14-16 hours straight. My doc told me that the cleaning solution I use for 'em can also be used as drops, but I've never felt the need. My prescription is fairly strong (-5.0 & -4.5 I believe)

Some people have drier eyes than other I think, my friend doesn't like to wear contacts because after about 4 hours his eyes have super dried out and are really uncomfortable. I get that, but only if I've had them in for like 14 hours straight or something. But yeah, eye drops or saline will work fine; both are available at supermarkets.

Kane Red Robe on