Options

Alpha Protocol: Apparently now an Obsidian gossip thread

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Does the patch fix a lot of the bugs? I liked the game, just ran into a battery of bugs (note: not quest or mechanics related. I'm talking graphic glitches, freezes, crashes, etc) for my first playthrough. I want to play more...but not if it's still so unstable.

What graphic glitches? DOF and Blur look HORRIBLE in this game so I would deactivate them.

As for freezes/crashes. Several were fixed and DRM is removed so I would give it another shot.

Textures disappearing, framerate drops when looking at certain objects, graphic corruption when playing for a few hours. Literally a bunch of things like that, despite other games running fine/newest drivers/the usual bullshit.

Try this in the APEngine.ini in the mydocuments folder (after set to "read only")

MinTextureDensity=1.0

if that doesn't help, move further down and try these:

SkeletalMeshLODBias=-1

TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_2048__PS3_2048=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_2048__PS3_1024=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_2048__PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_1024__PS3_1024=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_1024__PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_1024__PS3_1024=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_1024__PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_1024__PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_512___PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_1024__X_512___PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_512___X_512___PS3_512=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_512___X_512___PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_512___X_256___PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_256___X_256___PS3_256=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_256___X_256___PS3_128=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_128___X_128___PS3_128=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_64____X_64____PS3_64=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=64,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_PC_2048__X_32__PS3_32=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=-1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
    MaxTranslucencyLayers=20
    DisableShaderModel3=False
    DisableShadowVolumes=False
    DisableHWShadowMaps=False
    ShadowBufferResolution=2048
    MaxShadowResolution=2048
    MinShadowResolution=62
    ShadowResolutionScale=1.0

From the modding AP thread on the obs forums.

C2B on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    I'll say this much on what I've played so far: Very, very interesting.
    Just remember it's generally agreed that the game starts getting good after Saudi Arabia.

You know, this may have been the general consensus at the time and I'm pretty sure I even agreed with it in our last AP thread, but after my second play-through I think I've decided that the some of the Saudi levels are better-designed than many of the mid-game or later-game levels. In particular, I fell like the airfield is one of the best-designed levels in the game (which I think Obsidian realized since they decided to use it for two different missions). Specifically,
    The main building with the control tower is one of my favorite pieces in the game because it's designed with several different entry points -- you can kick in the front door and start shooting, you can go in through the access hatchway on the roof and be sneaky, and I'm pretty sure you can also break a window and go in through the side if you'd like, too.

Comparatively-speaking, a lot of the levels in the game post-Saudi are entirely too-linear for my tastes. Obviously there has to be some element of linear to a narrative-based game in order to keep the story and action moving forward, but when there's only one narrowly-defined possible route to get from area A to area B, that really limits the possibilities in a game where the designers claim that "choice is your weapon."

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    SammyF wrote: »
    that really limits the possibilities in a game where the designers claim that "choice is your weapon."

That said (I agree with you)

"Choice is your weapon" was really not meant to be in terms of gameplay in the end. We had that argument a while back. It was foremost meant to be choice in narrative. Who you side with and so on (Hell you have the option to join the terrorist orrganization you hunt in the beginning)

Both the "But thou must" PAX panel and the Chris Avellone interview made that clear.

Sadly, some other things in terms of marketing suggested otherwise.

Though thats something Avellone wanted to adress if a sequel was ever possible.

C2B on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Did the patch ever get released for the 360 version? Not that it would overmuch matter for me, since the worst I ever got was checkpoint reloading causing a few dudes to disappear (which I really don't see as a significant issue, never impacted my run) but still, curiosity.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    On PC sorry.

AP TWEAKS

High Quality Config (from Martin Dee) Allows AA + AF without disappearing Dialog options.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2xocwf

Settings

APGame.ini

Decreasing Boss dealt Damage / Increasing Henchman dealt damage

HardModePawnDamageIncrease=0.25; <
    I've upped that to 1.50
    HardModeBossDamageIncrease=0.10; <
    and decreased this to -0.80

Fixes animations by matching moving speed to them, also some more gore and reduced interaction distance, fixes keyboard behaviour during mini games too, but makes overall difficulty slightly higher

InteractDistance=64

DecalLifeSpan=60.0
    MaxActiveDecals=100

ScaleRate=40
    ScaleThreshold=90

BloodSplatter_RegularDecalNumber_Min=3
    BloodSplatter_RegularDecalNumber_Max=6
    BloodSplatter_SlidingDecalNumber_Min=3
    BloodSplatter_SlidingDecalNumber_Max=6
    BloodSplatter_DecalRadius_Min=30.f
    BloodSplatter_DecalRadius_Max=40.f

BloodSplatter_DecalSpreadRadius=5.f
    NadeTrajectoryPreviewWidth=2.f

CoverWalkSpeed=50.f
    CoverRunSpeed=100.f

bUsePhysicalAnimations=TRUE

AwarenessCooldownDelay=3.f

NearFarSight_Ratio=0.5f

HardModePawnDamageIncrease=0.50;
    HardModeBossDamageIncrease=0.00;
    PlayerRotationSpeed=80000.0f
    CameraShakeMagnitudeLostEndurance=240.f

MoveSpeedNormal=155
    MoveSpeedScoped=75
    SprintSpeed=255

CoverMoveSpeed=100.f
    InputHeldThreshold=0.0f
    InputPressedThreshold=0.0f
    CloseToMikeDistance=50.f

Everything by Marteen Dee. Sadly, he doesn't seem to work on modding AP anymore.

C2B on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Only played one mission so far

I tried to be stealthy but I just ended up killing everyone

tofu on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    Only played one mission so far

I tried to be stealthy but I just ended up killing everyone
    Those are not mutually exclusive!

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I accidentally pressed spacebar when sneaking up on a few people. It brought back memories of MGS3 and the analogue buttons.

Couscous on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's not a huge issue, you basically get perks for everything. Did you non-lethally KO a ton of dudes? You get a perk. Did you set a lot of dudes on fire? Perk. Did you kill this guy? Perk. Did you not kill this guy? Other perk. Do you routinely get shot to pieces? Perk. Do you still routinely get shot to pieces? Upgraded perk.

Just play however you want and make sure you've got a decent weapon skill for bosses. Not killing people really only comes into play in fairly obvious circumstances, like dealing with civilians and such.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Stolls wrote: »
    Not killing people really only comes into play in fairly obvious circumstances, like dealing with civilians and such.
    Even then, PERK! Okay, I'm not so sure on that one...

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Quite curious to see how much changes through the second time, doing it on a Rookie Hard run now.

That...may not be the best idea for a first run. Unless you get the whole wait for crits, don't run and gun thing. And specialize in pistols

I'm going pistols, stealth, and martial arts.

Got through the Saudi levels, I've only killed two people so far and the first one was an accident. The second one... deserved it.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not killing people really only comes into play in fairly obvious circumstances, like dealing with civilians and such.

In the Rome mission with a sniper rifle:
    You get multiple perks for killing everyone in the first couple areas

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Quite curious to see how much changes through the second time, doing it on a Rookie Hard run now.

That...may not be the best idea for a first run. Unless you get the whole wait for crits, don't run and gun thing. And specialize in pistols

I'm going pistols, stealth, and martial arts.

Got through the Saudi levels, I've only killed two people so far and the first one was an accident. The second one... deserved it.

I made it through three quarters of the game as a stealthy, non-lethal force for justice.

Then I miscounted my non-lethal pistol ammo and pegged a US government employee in the back of the neck with a steel core bullet. And sent him somersaulting down the stairs.

I choose to think the fall killed him. :(

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It is harder not to kill people on some later missions. I am relying on using invisibility to get behind them and then taking them down one by one from behind while they are looking at where they expect me to come from.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arth wrote: »
    I choose to think the fall killed him. :(

I've killed people. But they were all bad.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

In the Rome mission with a sniper rifle:
    You get multiple perks for killing everyone in the first couple areas

And actually, now that I think of it, there are 3 different perks in the cia listening post mission: one of killing them, one for disabling them non-lethally, and one for not doing either

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What do perks do?

And somehow I got a gold plated assault rifle?

edit: The hacking minigame is probably the worst thing I have ever played, is it really just staring at a bunch of blinking numbers and letters until you find the right combination or is there something else to it

tofu on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    They give small bonuses, like discounts for certain types of equiment, or reduced cooldowns.

For the hacking game, just unfocus your eyes, and look for the areas where there are a couple letters next to each other that aren't moving

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just played a solid 11 and a half hours of Alpha Protocol, really glad I grabbed it. It's isn't without it's flaws and annoyances but so far I am enjoying it thoroughly.

Also, I just got to Brayko and am considering redoing the saves and going back to a point where I can do some of the things the thread is suggesting to make him easier, because holy crap is he a tough coke snorting asshat.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    They give small bonuses, like discounts for certain types of equiment, or reduced cooldowns.

For the hacking game, just unfocus your eyes, and look for the areas where there are a couple letters next to each other that aren't moving

It confuses me that people have so much trouble with the hacking mini-game. It's Where's Waldo with code.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »

It confuses me that people have so much trouble with the hacking mini-game. It's Where's Waldo with code.

It took me a minute but it really isn't that hard.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It can be challenging at the higher levels, but the important thing is it's not unfair. It's a reasonable visual puzzle.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hacking is like a magic eye picture. If you find those easy it's a snap (or possibly a sailboat.) Real issue is lining one of the codes up with a mouse, it's a might sensitive.

Also, about the only weapon I've never seriously used in boss fights is the SMGs. Everything else can easily be tweaked to be a good boss killer. APDS rounds were a big help in Taipei, since they instantly cut through armor and, before cornering him, the boss doesn't retreat until you advance or deal out a portion of damage.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited November 2010

This. At first I hated the hacking - and after figuring out this one little trick, I hack consoles mostly on the first try.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hacking is like a magic eye picture. If you find those easy it's a snap (or possibly a sailboat.) Real issue is lining one of the codes up with a mouse, it's a might sensitive.

Also, about the only weapon I've never seriously used in boss fights is the SMGs. Everything else can easily be tweaked to be a good boss killer. APDS rounds were a big help in Taipei, since they instantly cut through armor and, before cornering him, the boss doesn't retreat until you advance or deal out a portion of damage.

Apparently Bullet Storm can be pretty effective. Some guy on the SomethingAwful forums blew the

Boss spoiler
    helicopter
    out of the sky with a single maxed Bullet Storm.

I never use anything but the pistol sooooo...

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The problem I have with the hacking mini game is that they clearly intended you to use a controller for it. If I could just point at the damn thing with my mouse it would be fine, but no, if I nudge my mouse just a little bit to the side the selection jumps all over the place since it's mapped 1:1. It doesn't help that the mouse cursor is still up on that screen but doesn't effect anything.
    So far everything else is neat tho, definitely doesn't seem to deserve some of the bitching out it got from the press.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just ignore the mouse cursor in the minigames, and look at the code block/tumblers instead

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I am going to play this game as a hobo ninja. Stealth, Martial Arts... something else. Oh and the giant beard option.

I understand that the Chain Shot is really fucking good. I considered pistol skill in order to have a fallback sidearm, but I don't want it to become a crutch.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You'll definitely want a ranged weapon for fighting bosses

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Haha, I'm really bad at magic eye pictures, I can never see them

But even when I can spot the numbers/letters that aren't moving trying to move the code block over to it (with the controller) takes forever

tofu on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Every time I start a new mission I think "this one has to be better than the last one"

And then it's not

I wish this was just a choose your own adventure game instead

tofu on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I was enjoying Alpha Protocol up until it introduced hacking. What the hell. If you're going to include a segment that infuriating, could you at least put it at a checkpoint?

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My problem with the hacking is that sometimes my mouse works fine with it and sometimes I have to move it a mile across my desk just to move it an inch on the screen. If it's not a bug, it's fucking retarded.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pretty sure you can skip all tough hacking with a single skill point and a couple of pouches dedicated to EMPs. You can honestly skip all problematic hacking for the rest of the game as soon as you can start spending skill points. Probably not all hacking (unless you carry a ton of EMPs), but definitely any hacking which is giving you trouble.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    All the mission critical computers/locks/electronics are set at a lower difficulty anyway

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I beat Recruit with a shotgun build, and I have to say the knockdown skill you get for it is useful as all hell.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The thread title is a lie.

Because I didn't miss my chance.

8-)

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I beat Recruit with a shotgun build, and I have to say the knockdown skill you get for it is useful as all hell.
    That's what I did. Works on every boss but Moscow. ^^

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Just played a solid 11 and a half hours of Alpha Protocol, really glad I grabbed it. It's isn't without it's flaws and annoyances but so far I am enjoying it thoroughly.

Also, I just got to Brayko and am considering redoing the saves and going back to a point where I can do some of the things the thread is suggesting to make him easier, because holy crap is he a tough coke snorting asshat.

Once again. You don't have to go back on saves. Everytime you are in the safehouse you can go to the other locations (Taipei, Rome) and do missions there or whatever you wanted to do.

Also I'm pretty sure you can make mouse control easier on hacking per ini tweaks. Sadly nobody seemed to have given it a try till now.

General improvments to mouse cont
    rol

Mouse tweaks.
    set bEnableMouseSmoothing=False
    in \Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\DefaultInput.ini

Two places here.
    \My Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\APInput.ini

Also set in \My Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\APEngine.ini
    the following:

[Engine.GameEngine]
    bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE
    MinSmoothedFrameRate=30