Options

Alpha Protocol: Apparently now an Obsidian gossip thread

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spy (Stealth, Martial Arts, Pistol) is basically cheating. Assault Rifle is great for just straight killing, but the Pistol is your utility gun of choice.

Take one rank of Sabotage so you can use EMPs to crack locks quickly. As a corollary; buy and equip EMPs.

When you have the option to take a mook down non-lethally or kill him, don't kill him. You'll get several perks for this that make you tougher.

Take Stealth 5 (master awareness) even if you don't plan on sneaking. This lets you see where your enemies are looking at all times. Well worth 30 AP.

Chain Shot (Pistol skill) demolishes bosses and ignores cover geometry (doesn't break windows, etc). It's crazy useful.

Technical Aptitude is worth putting points in for Brilliance. If you end up specializing in it you can basically chain invisibility your way through any level if you have Master Shadow Operative. It's like being the predator.

Incendiary Grenades rock.

I think that covers most of it.

Edit: Forgot one. Don't use tranqs for boss fights, and take off the silencer. I always carry a second pistol muzzle/barrel and save my steel jacketed rounds for boss fights.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Resist the urge to play Recruit your first time through, it's doable, but you're at a disadvantage unless you always pick Recruit dialog options at the beginning, and you don't want to start off with a bad first impression.

What OptimusZed says.

Do whatever the hell you like. There really are no wrong choices. Except not being BFFs with Steven Heck. Steven Heck is always the right choice.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Put points in pistol. Don't rely on EMPing safes etc. because EMP 'nades cost as much as you get from a typical safe ($1k). Save them for hard ones. Put points in pistol.

Also, put points in pistol.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I really have to agree with that. The pistol is your main weapon, regardless of what you're playing. Pick some other weapon as a backup and understand that you'll probably never use it.

The pistol will make you a destroyer of worlds. Pull off lethal headshots without leaving cover and then shoot a boss six times in the face with armor piercing rounds and you will feel unstoppable.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Resist the urge to play Recruit your first time through, it's doable, but you're at a disadvantage unless you always pick Recruit dialog options at the beginning, and you don't want to start off with a bad first impression.

What OptimusZed says.

Do whatever the hell you like. There really are no wrong choices. Except not being BFFs with Steven Heck. Steven Heck is always the right choice.
    I'd say that recruit really isn't that much harder, and you might as well just get it out of the way the first time. If you choose the recruit options, you're only out a handful of points anyway, and still have more than enough to max out 3 skills plus change.

Also, if you hit a wall in a hub, especially moscow, remember that you can always change hubs whenever you want to. In fact, you may want to do the contact missions in each hubs as early as possible to unlock stuff in the store. And rome has a bunch of easy combat light missions if you need more xp

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also: Sell everything you're not using. EVERYTHING. Even the ammo for guns you're not using. This is pretty crucial to getting the highest level upgrades late in the game, since they cost a ton.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

What OptimusZed says.

Well, there is a wrong choice

Put points into a weapon skill. A bunch of points

Because otherwise you might think that the shooting in this game is bad because you do not have enough points

You will learn that the shooting is bad regardless

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh yes remindes me.

Wait before the aim focused and you can crit. The game uses Deus Ex/Bloodlines type of shooting mechanics. A critted pistol shoot is nearly 100% accurate.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Which brings us to the next thing; ignore the haters. They just be hatin'. It's what they do.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What the fuck were they smoking when they came up with the hacking minigame?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    LewieP wrote: »

A lot I guess. I can handle it easily now (It's actually more or less the easiest minigame for me) but it really can be grating. Try to find a rhythm/use a technique to scan the field with your eyes.

Best if you use 1 of the two chances to determine and set one password. And the other for the other password.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    LewieP wrote: »

Console controllers....But on the other hand, the electronics minigame is just as bad with a controller as the Computer one is with a mouse

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you want to actually have crazy fun shooter times instead, level shotgun. Room Sweep on bosses not from Russia is amazing, if tough on your ammo.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I actually liked all the minigames. Not loved, mind you, and only when playing on easy or normal, because there's a point on hard where they basically start getting to the point where the only way to win is to somehow plug yourself into your console and play with the game code yourself.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm gonna have to smoke me some console controllers.

Although seriously, that's a broken ass interface.

If I have a 360 controller plugged in, can I switch on the fly? and is a controller much better for them?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Unfortunately, plugging in a 360 controller turns off the keyboard. Supposedly the patch fixed some of the major mouse problems, but I'd still say that it controls much better with a controller. It's not like it's a super fast paced game, so the loss in accuracy and response time isn't as big a deal in most games

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also DON'T install the patch if you are not using the US Version. It breaks your game completly.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, I just got it today, so it downloaded the most recent version from Steam.

Or is the patch separate from Steam?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's an incredibly lazy exe replacement patch

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think my Radeon 9500 is going to run this.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    It's an incredibly lazy exe replacement patch

Considering it fixes the checkpoint issue repordently completly and reduces stuttering drastically the patch itself isn't lazy.

But how it was released is. No read me, no install, no adjusting to other regions. Sega didn't even care to put up that it only works with the US Version.

Not to mention it was around 2 and a half months in SEGA's QA.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »
    I don't think my Radeon 9500 is going to run this.

Unreal is usually pretty adjustable. Maybe with Settings down.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Something about Model Shader 3.0 needed.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Something about Model Shader 3.0 needed.

Ok then yup. D:

I'm sorry. Upgrade planned?

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Eventually. Going to check the laptop. It's only a year old.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    frick

I somehow screwed up Judge, Jury and Executioner. That was the entire point of this run.

I have no idea who I could have killed that I didn't. I thought I'd gotten everyone.

I just need that and two secret achievements at this point. I'm not even sure which story ones I'm missing.

Edit: Also No Time For Love. I should have gotten that too. gah

OptimusZed on

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    frick

I somehow screwed up Judge, Jury and Executioner. That was the entire point of this run.

I have no idea who I could have killed that I didn't. I thought I'd gotten everyone.

I just need that and two secret achievements at this point. I'm not even sure which story ones I'm missing.

THIS IS A SPOILER.
    Did you get the ending where Heck kills Scarlet? That's part of the requirement for it, iirc. Or that's how I got it. I think I either personally killed Mina with her disliking me, or I never went to save her too.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    frick

THIS IS A SPOILER.
    Did you get the ending where Heck kills Scarlet? That's part of the requirement for it, iirc. Or that's how I got it. I think I either personally killed Mina with her disliking me, or I never went to save her too.
    Heck shot Scarlet. Then I killed Leland.

The only thing I can think of is a) I didn't get the option to leave Mina (my rep must have been too high) and b) I saved Hung instead of preventing the riots. Everyone else who could die did, even Marburg.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    I guess it's just time for Epic Douchebag Thorton. Wrap around shades, backward hat, poser soul patch and all.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Any chance of this patch you're all talking about making it to the 360 version? I bought a cheap copy of this a week or so ago and haven't started playing yet; if a patch is on its way, I'll go ahead a wait a bit longer.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Any chance of this patch you're all talking about making it to the 360 version? I bought a cheap copy of this a week or so ago and haven't started playing yet; if a patch is on its way, I'll go ahead a wait a bit longer.

If Sega doesn't suddenly have a change of heart what to do. No. I mean, I wrote it before but its absolutly clear that they don't give a shit about the game anymore

Just play it.^^

C2B on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yea, just play it. I got through the 360 version without much problems.

Sides, it's nowhere near as bad as Ubisoft's Prince of Persia's glowing door bug, heh.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    They really should have just made the SMG skill power Iron Will.

The infinite clip thing doesn't synergize nearly as well.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Whoa what the fuck

I booted up the game to try and finish my recruit run so I could just play Veteran forever, but when I got into the game, there was no music and the only sounds from mousing over menu items were pained grunts

What in the living eff

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Did it patch or something?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Whoa what the fuck

I booted up the game to try and finish my recruit run so I could just play Veteran forever, but when I got into the game, there was no music and the only sounds from mousing over menu items were pained grunts

What in the living eff

Sounds like you unlocked Steven Heck Mode.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Has nothing to do with the patch is a DRM issue. Did you make ini changes?

Try reinstalling the game.

C2B on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, I just started playing this. Does it turn into absolute suck later? After finishing the prologue and a couple missions in Saudi Arabia, this is bringing back all my favorite memories of Deus Ex.

Sure, it's not perfect, but so far, I can't see any reason for the 63 (!) this game has on Metacritic. This game should easily fall into the high-70s, from what I've seen.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    So, I just started playing this. Does it turn into absolute suck later? After finishing the prologue and a couple missions in Saudi Arabia, this is bringing back all my favorite memories of Deus Ex.

Sure, it's not perfect, but so far, I can't see any reason for the 63 (!) this game has on Metacritic. This game should easily fall into the high-70s, from what I've seen.

game review sites just hate obsidian

override367 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It doesn't even really hit its stride until after you leave Saudi Arabia.

OptimusZed on