As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol: Apparently now an Obsidian gossip thread

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Well, logically nothing. It's practically a dead thread. And it's unlikely there is anybody out there who hasn't played it and is looking for a discussion on the game.

Realistically, story spoilers. Would you want to have something spoiled?

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you are the one playing for the first time, there is very little you personally have to put in spoilers.

Pretty much anyone in this thread has played AP.

I will still spoil stuff though if it's something you have yet to do in game.

But please, tell us all about your experiance. Inquiring minds got to know.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Resurrecting this thread from where ever it is because I'm playing through it for the first time and want to talk about it, damn it.

What, if anything, should I keep in spoilers?

Everything but general impressions, and questions about the mechanics, maybe?
    I'm looking forward to playing this too.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Well I started with the Recruit background and then picked... uh, Spy, I think. The one that gives you Stealth, Pistols and Hand to Hand. I did Rome first, then moved onto Taipei, which I just finished up. Off to Russia next. I guess I'm just curious how much discussion there was back when the game was newer about whether doing Thing X is better than Thing Y because of Reason Z or not, like how in the Mass Effect thread everyone debates about various decisions.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    From what I recall, there isn't a "right" way to do things until after you beat the game once and want something to happen earlier than it does on a 2nd playthough.

Some people do whatever level they like least first so they can get it over with.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I'm not asking if there is a right or wrong way to do things, only if there was much debate amongst folks here about why folks did or did not make certain decisions. I honestly can't even remember all the things I did in Rome, I guess I'll have to wait to make an itemized list on my second playthrough or something.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I'm not asking if there is a right or wrong way to do things, only if there was much debate amongst folks here about why folks did or did not make certain decisions. I honestly can't even remember all the things I did in Rome, I guess I'll have to wait to make an itemized list on my second playthrough or something.

It won't matter. Lots of seemingly inconsequential choices that you make can still have major consequences down the line, and it's basically impossible to know them all without following a guide or playing through a bunch of times.

The first time, I'd just play through how you want to play, and then on subsequent playthroughs (the game really wants multiple runs) change things up to see what happens. Fortunately, I can tell you that the final boss of the Russia quest is pretty much legendary. That can't count as spoilers, can it?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Depends on the choices. Because who you're thinking of sometimes isn't the final boss.

But it is still awesome, nonetheless.

• Options
    Well I started with the Recruit background and then picked... uh, Spy, I think. The one that gives you Stealth, Pistols and Hand to Hand. I did Rome first, then moved onto Taipei, which I just finished up. Off to Russia next. I guess I'm just curious how much discussion there was back when the game was newer about whether doing Thing X is better than Thing Y because of Reason Z or not, like how in the Mass Effect thread everyone debates about various decisions.

C'mon, give us details.

Did you kill some terrorists or let them live to support you?

What about Madison? You bone her? She live or die?

Did you murder Marburg or did his punk ass escape?

What all did you do!

I must know!

TELL ME MOTHERFUCKER!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
  • Options
    Gellato?

Yeah, did you murder gellato guy?

I didn't cause I was trying to get into Mina's pants, but I totally could have!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    If he was a legitimate gelato salesman (gelattier?) he probably killed people due to the improper handling of food.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm pleased to announce I got Mina's Tang

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Hi5 bro, hi5.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    On my last veteran run, I got all four girls and still killed 80's guy and Marburg.

Was awesome.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I'm stuck on 80s guy right now. Fucking scripted boss fights.
    C'mon, give us details.

Did you kill some terrorists or let them live to support you?

If by "some terrorists" you mean Sis, then she and Albatross are okay with me. Except that I took SIE and company over them to go to the Embassy, which played out... interestingly.
    What about Madison? You bone her? She live or die?

Did you murder Marburg or did his punk ass escape?

Madison I never did anything with, because I almost felt like it'd be taking advantage of her. She died, unfortunately, but the mission had to take priority. Marburg got away, I was pretty mad about that, after all the grief I went through fighting him.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So.

Alpha Protocol at $7.50.

Yea or nay? I'll probably play Awakening and DA2 first.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I've bought this. Should I install it and give it a go now that Hotline Miami is done? I could try and give a play by play to keep you guys entertained.

• Options
    RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    So.

Alpha Protocol at $7.50.

Yea or nay? I'll probably play Awakening and DA2 first.
    Yeah, pull the trigger on it. It's a beautiful (but flawed) game, and even if you wait for it to go lower, you'll only be saving $2.50.

Make a post when you get around to playing it, and I'm sure the community will help you avoid the major pitfalls.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It hit like 3 before. Too bad GMG ran out of keys or I would have picked up another one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KotOR2 is probably my favorite RPG of all time, still. I'm familiar with taking the bad with the good to find what matters, to put it mildly.

If the writing is good and the characters are engaging I'll figure out how to make myself happy.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Honestly.

I will say that AP gameplay is about as bad as ME1's except it doesn't have a pretty awesome physics system to make up for it.

So...if you tolerated that, AP won't be that hard for you to digest.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Combat in AP for me has been... present. It's not as tedious as ME1, but it's really nothing spectacular or especially terrible. Except the boss battles, they are rather annoying.

• Options
    RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    Combat in AP for me has been... present. It's not as tedious as ME1, but it's really nothing spectacular or especially terrible. Except the boss battles, they are rather annoying.

The annoyances of combat can be trivialized if you specialize your character for Chain Shot, stealth, and Brilliance (cooldown resets). I still enjoy trying to "ghost" the levels where it's possible, and no boss takes more than a minute. Played this way I'd say it's aged better than the first Mass Effect, certainly.

I've actually never felt the need to branch into the other weapon trees. Is it worth it for a different experience, or just painful?

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    AP's combat gets like three points for the Flying Knee Strike, though.

Because yesssssssss.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm stuck on 80s guy right now. Fucking scripted boss fights.

If you've already finished Taipei and made friends with a certain fine, upstanding gentleman you'll be able to buy a piece of intel that'll make that fight easier. It would mean playing the entire mission again, though.

Also, use Chain Shot.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Get on the stage and jump to the lower floor. That stagger the boss.

A lot of people miss that.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Fuck Marburg. They _would_ make killing him harder than normal to do.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The most annoying thing about the bosses is that they move like 3x as fast as you do.

But Chain Shot.

• Options
    @Wyborn

I cannot recommend this game enough. It's so incredibly fun.

The biggest flaws are the ME1 style combat, which actually hurt Alpha Protocol's sales because this game came out right after ME2. The other big flaw is the Human Revolution style boss fights, meaning that if you decide to specialize in the wrong stuff, you are severely punished.

Biggest thing, take pistols and only pistols. They are the end-all-be-all weapon for this game, nothing else comes close. Though martial arts is fun as hell.

Aside from that, the game is great. Fun story, engaging characters, Mike Thornton is like Shepard in modern times, totally badass, except instead of /punch, Mike gets /headdesk.

I recommend playing as a recruit first, because it unlocks veteran. Veteran runs are the greatest because you are the Leonardo DeVinci of covert agents.

Also, SIE is my favorite "Bond girl" in this game, I have a thing for sexually agressive women. All the others can flap in the wind for all I care. Killing Marburg is the greatest achievement ever if you can manage it, but it's very hard to get that and takes some planning. Amazing if you can manage it though, even the aftermath is great with all the shit talking that Thornton does. I want to go play again right now just to taunt that evil motherfucker.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Killing Marburg is easy mode. Subtly verbally sparring with him and getting him to abandon his boss is the bee's knees.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Fuck that.

Kill 'em both.

I don't need some asshole old fucker to rule the world. I already got a partner in crime and his name is Steven.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Killing Marburg is worth it just for the email SIE sends you.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    What do you need to do to do that? I usually play non-lethal stealth characters so he complements me for being unable to detect my presence, which ruins the whole thing.

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    Stealth is fun in alpha protocol because of how awkward it looks.

Just the way Mike runs and the way he karate chops people in the throat.

And lets not forget about how you go fucking invisible for no reason when your skill is high enough.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

And lets not forget about how you go fucking invisible for no reason when your skill is high enough.

Sure, but I still think the gameplay is made worse than it actually is. I enjoy it even with ridiculousness such as what you mentioned, if for nothing else than it works. By that I mean stealth isn't by design inferior to any other approach. Except for the boss battles.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options

Heh, I just mentioned the same thing in the Deus Ex thread. Mike has the silliest stealth run.

Achire wrote: »
    What do you need to do to do that? I usually play non-lethal stealth characters so he complements me for being unable to detect my presence, which ruins the whole thing.
    Copied from the wiki, cause it's long:

■Get the Suave perk. It can be obtained by using Suave replies with Mina when you start the game. Use suave replies till you get the perk. It triggers itself in the final Rome mission and allows you to bait him.

■You need to have a majority of Suave responses in all of your dialogues in that playthrough, else the perk wont trigger. For instance, Madison and Grigori respond well to most Suave stances, Steven and Mina like a good number of them as well, and Conrad will also contribute to the count - see below. To reduce the odds of not having enough of those responses, do the final Rome mission as soon as possible.

■Its been established that -3 or lower is the reputation you need to have with Conrad for this to work. To achieve this, just use Suave replies during every single option with Marburg, and you will at least reach this number when you start the duel. Having met SIE and having a positive relation with her will get you another -1, and killing CIA and NSA agents in Rome will get it lower even more. If you have a negative relation with SIE, Michael will tell Marburg that meeting her wasn't pleasant. This will give you +1 with Marburg.

■It appears that taunting Marburg is much easier if Mike goes after the Bombs instead of Madison: you got a chance to use Suave responses 5 or 6 times as well as the possibility of the additional reputation decrease. If you choose to go after Madison, you can use Suave responses just twice with no reputation changes.

■During the "bait" dialogue, Mike will tease Marburg using info on Deus Vult and Conrad. This suggests you need to have a certain amount of intel on Deus Vult and Conrad, and I have a good idea where to get it: when you get a mail from Mina telling about the "DV" server, choose the "I'm not familiar with that server. Look into it" response - I believe its the aggressive response, not sure though. Mina will mail you a wall of text regarding Deus Vult. The intel here doesn't appear to go the dossier, since there is no download option. Maybe Mike this intel to bait the enemy (NOT confirmed: Thorton can successfully taunt Marburg without reading this message). Just to be sure, get ALL the intel you can on Deus Vult and Conrad

Also, the shit talk that comes out of Mike's mouth when he goads Marburg is the greatest smack I've ever heard in a game, ever. I almost felt bad for Marburg.

After I murdered that shit heel, I had to give my computer a standing ovation. The whole thing was just perfect. Very few characters in a game have I felt so good just utterly destroying.

Bravo Obsidian, bravo.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Yeah mike's insults are glorious

The Marburg dialouge is in the first 40 seconds of this video (spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUydx57te9s

Kyoka Suigetsu on
  • Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular

Heh, I just mentioned the same thing in the Deus Ex thread. Mike has the silliest stealth run.

Achire wrote: »
    Copied from the wiki, cause it's long:

■Get the Suave perk. It can be obtained by using Suave replies with Mina when you start the game. Use suave replies till you get the perk. It triggers itself in the final Rome mission and allows you to bait him.

■You need to have a majority of Suave responses in all of your dialogues in that playthrough, else the perk wont trigger. For instance, Madison and Grigori respond well to most Suave stances, Steven and Mina like a good number of them as well, and Conrad will also contribute to the count - see below. To reduce the odds of not having enough of those responses, do the final Rome mission as soon as possible.

■Its been established that -3 or lower is the reputation you need to have with Conrad for this to work. To achieve this, just use Suave replies during every single option with Marburg, and you will at least reach this number when you start the duel. Having met SIE and having a positive relation with her will get you another -1, and killing CIA and NSA agents in Rome will get it lower even more. If you have a negative relation with SIE, Michael will tell Marburg that meeting her wasn't pleasant. This will give you +1 with Marburg.

■It appears that taunting Marburg is much easier if Mike goes after the Bombs instead of Madison: you got a chance to use Suave responses 5 or 6 times as well as the possibility of the additional reputation decrease. If you choose to go after Madison, you can use Suave responses just twice with no reputation changes.

■During the "bait" dialogue, Mike will tease Marburg using info on Deus Vult and Conrad. This suggests you need to have a certain amount of intel on Deus Vult and Conrad, and I have a good idea where to get it: when you get a mail from Mina telling about the "DV" server, choose the "I'm not familiar with that server. Look into it" response - I believe its the aggressive response, not sure though. Mina will mail you a wall of text regarding Deus Vult. The intel here doesn't appear to go the dossier, since there is no download option. Maybe Mike this intel to bait the enemy (NOT confirmed: Thorton can successfully taunt Marburg without reading this message). Just to be sure, get ALL the intel you can on Deus Vult and Conrad

Also, the shit talk that comes out of Mike's mouth when he goads Marburg is the greatest smack I've ever heard in a game, ever. I almost felt bad for Marburg.

After I murdered that shit heel, I had to give my computer a standing ovation. The whole thing was just perfect. Very few characters in a game have I felt so good just utterly destroying.

Bravo Obsidian, bravo.

Thanks. I'm going to give this a go, sounds hilarious.

• Options
    All right, bought.

I'll be back to this topic in a few weeks.

dN0T6ur.png