Options

Alpha Protocol: Apparently now an Obsidian gossip thread

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Is there a .ini file to play the game for you, too?

I want my game to be nothing but pissing Darcy off and slamming heads.

So, a short game, then?

Short, violent, and extremely entertaining.

Also, memory editing to the rescue!

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Ha, ha, ha. No-information-gathering-shoot-people Mike is such a dimwitted stooge. What a patsy. What a rube.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    So I haven't found cheats, but I have found that the game configuration files are text .ini files, and located in: alpha protocol\APGame\Config

Look at the DefaultLevelChart.ini and DefaultWeaponStats.ini.

Still haven't found a way to give myself unlimited money. :P

Download a hex editor and edit your save file. I did that my last couple playthroughs because fuck it, I've beaten the game six times. :P

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    The end of the game is just frustrating gameplay-wise.

I thought going AR/Shotgun would serve me well but these multitude of boss fights one right after another are not going so smooth. I'm only playing on Normal too.

Next time I'm dropping it to easy.

Edit: I now speak almost specifically to the helicopter part as I try it for the 8th time.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Any weapon besides Pistol is an artificial difficulty hike.

Those last three fights take maybe 4 chain shots.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »

I thought going AR/Shotgun would serve me well but these multitude of boss fights one right after another are not going so smooth. I'm only playing on Normal too.

Edit: I now speak almost specifically to the helicopter part as I try it for the 8th time.

There are rocket launchers and hard cover all over that map.

Use them.

• Options

There are rocket launchers and hard cover all over that map.

Use them.

I managed to get past it, the rocket launchers were obvious, it was just managing to get rid of all the extra guys with guns so I focus on the helicopter.

In the games defense one of those attempts I blew myself up with a rocket launcher by accident.

Anywho, game beaten for the second time!

12-ish hours, Recruit run. Spoilers:
    I killed Leland at the end and left with Stephen Heck. Westridge, Marburg and Scarlet all disappeared without being dealt with. I left Mina to die, though we weren't friends.

Next up: Veteran run with Stealth and Pistols as intended. I shall probably be a bit Archer-y.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    This happened to me in my first playthrough:
    I had no idea Scarlet was even there. She didn't show up at the end so I never knew. That hallway where she is? It wasn't clear enough that door could be opened. With all the crap going on, it was frankly a miracle that I found Mina and saved her.

• Options
    I had no idea Scarlet was even there. She didn't show up at the end so I never knew. That hallway where she is? It wasn't clear enough that door could be opened. With all the crap going on, it was frankly a miracle that I found Mina and saved her.
    I didn't find her on either of my playthroughs. Next time I'll have to pay more attention so she gets dealt with.

Sob24Nm.png
  • Options
    I didn't find her on either of my playthroughs. Next time I'll have to pay more attention so she gets dealt with.
    She's in the hallway where Leland berates you about Mina. (Can't remember if Westridge does it given the right circumstances.) Basically, one door goes to Mina, one to Scarlet.

I know you can deal with them both, but I think for the chance to save Mina you have to go for her first. Though I'm not sure if the bombs go off after you leave that hallway or if it also blows if you go for Scarlet first.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I actually kinda like Scarlet.

I've yet to do a game where I piss her off. Not on purpose, it usually just turns out that way.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Well I watched Archer like you guys said

I am still crying over that shit

"HE HAS AN ERECTION" hahahaha

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Half of it would have really missed her.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Just wait until you get to Skytanic...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RAMPAAAAGE!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    RAMPAAAAGE!

By the way. I'm starting the rampage now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Archer is one of those rare shows that makes me actually laugh every single episode.

I can't think of a bad episode. They all have moments of wonderful and mad brilliance.

Sob24Nm.png
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Well, it took me 3 play-throughs but I finally got that asshole
    Marburg
    to stay and fight. Boy, was his face red! From rage I mean. Also the blood. And several dozen 00-buck entry wounds. Okay and maybe I lobbed a FEW overclocked incendiary grenades at him that he was too angry to notice. In all honesty, the phosphorous slugs probably didn't help him out much either, but he was so ugly that it was hard to tell.

You'd be amazed how many problems a good amount of buckshot and fire can solve.

• Options
    Killing that fuck is so satisfying.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I thought my klutz idiot Thorton would really rile Marburg but it turns out I'm still patriotic enough to impress him. Arse.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    From Obsidian at twitter:
    Wow. We're ten years old today...! Humble thanks to you, our fans and customers. What's your favorite Obsidian game and why?

Make a guess. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDfuMrUgqD4

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll have any Alpha Protocol references in Project Eternity...

• Options
    Mechanically, shit boss fight.

Thematically, best boss fight ever.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Just hearing that song makes me want to do a ton of cocaine and chase people around...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll have any Alpha Protocol references in Project Eternity...

'That's Thornton. With an "N".'

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Alpha Protocol is certainly the most stylish of all Obsidian games.

I'm a sucker for snarky voiced protagonists.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    My brother is playing the game.
    "Why are you attacking the G22?"

Messy.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Has there ever been a fan patch for this one?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    On the 360, nope.

Some people here have toyed with drivers and .ini files to sort some issues. SEGA and Obsidian had a bad relation after release so little or none has been done regarding maintenance of the game.

EDIT: Sorry, you meant fan patch.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    What is there to fix?

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    What is there to fix?

The shitty framerate at times, long load times that sometimes come with the common fixes to the hiccuping camera, odd loading textures, etc.?

I really like this game, but it has plenty of glitches and flaws with how it runs.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    When's the last time a fan patch for any game fixed that stuff?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The textures thing is a UE3 thing, you'd need to actually design around it to try to mitigate it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Wasn't there shooting and puzzle timing issues as well? I do think someone figured out a way to tweak the settings for that.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    What is there to fix?

The shitty framerate at times, long load times that sometimes come with the common fixes to the hiccuping camera, odd loading textures, etc.?

I really like this game, but it has plenty of glitches and flaws with how it runs.

Not a patch, but this is a tweak that worked for me:
    My mouse is jerky / camera stutters when moving mouse.
    This seems to be related to the frame rate and loading environments, rather than the mouse itself. Most people have reported some to complete success with the following methods:

Try setting mouse sensitivity in the in-game options.
    Try editing APEngine.ini (C:\Users\username\Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config) to the following:
    MinSmoothedFrameRate=20
    MaxSmoothedFrameRate=30

Adjust the values to suit.
    Try editing APEngine.ini to the following:
    UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false
    OnlyStreamInTextures=true
    OneFrameThreadLag=False

If you still have problems, check that the .inis have not reverted to their original settings after you have run the game. You might need to set it as 'Read Only'. Always keep a backup of .ini changes, so that if they cause other problems they can be 'rolled back'.

Because yeah, the game was unplayable with the framerate issues I was getting.

There's a lot Alpha Protocol does really well, but let's not pretend it doesn't have a fuckton of technical and gameplay issues as well.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    huh, is that fix not in the OP?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Psht, who reads OP's

(He mentioned framerate and I had that bookmarked, didn't think about the OP)

• Options
    When's the last time a fan patch for any game fixed that stuff?

Bethesda games.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Yep. I was hoping a similar level of interest would crop up for this one. It would be great if someone would optimize the map and fix any textures. Some of this may be too proprietary. I don't know.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Yep. I was hoping a similar level of interest would crop up for this one. It would be great if someone would optimize the map and fix any textures. Some of this may be too proprietary. I don't know.

There's interest, but it proved too difficult/restrictive.