Options

Alpha Protocol: Apparently now an Obsidian gossip thread

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Well, usually you especialize and sell stuff you don't need. Hacking for cash helps.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    There's one thing i really dislike about this game
    The gear is so expensive.

Yeah, I usually just save my cash for the best possible gear that I plan to have and just stick with the basic gear until I can buy it.

Makes it easier to just splurge on all the Intel.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Last playthrough I had to stop for a while, as I unloaded a clip into someone at point blank and missed every time.

That's some Lutece shit.

On the bright side, I discovered that you can end Russia without going after that one corrupt businessman, which came as a surprise.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    You have to be specifically frugal with your money. Sell everything you aren't going to use. Best to stick to a single weapon if you can so that you can focus your cash on getting the tip-top gun your striving for.

The better you know your playstyle, the easier it will be to budget.

• Options
    It's really annoying you can't just go into a mission with one gun. Unless you can, and I'm just a goose.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Fairly sure that you have to take a second weapon. But it doesn't count against you since encumbrance isn't a thing, and you don't ever have to use it.

One other tip about getting more cash, try for all the 'special' weapons that fit your intended path. Basically all the gold weapons. They really aren't the best weapon for its category and the game doesn't really give a shit about recognising that you obtained it (as in, no safe house trophies). For example, sneak up to that first nozzle in Saudi and just sell his gold shotgun.

• Options
    One thing I think Alpha Protocol needed was more missions like the sniper one at the Roman Villa, where you never need to kill or incapacitate or even stealth. All you do is gather information and then bounce, if you so desire. Some social missions would be neat as well.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    One thing I think Alpha Protocol needed was more missions like the sniper one at the Roman Villa, where you never need to kill or incapacitate or even stealth. All you do is gather information and then bounce, if you so desire. Some social missions would be neat as well.

Or the marburg one. Or the ice cream store

Basically, rome was the best hub

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think Taipei had the tightest overall story. I'm vague as hell on the whole point of Russia.

• Options
    Weapons dealing and who's doing it.

• Options
    Yeah, something about the Halbech missles going through Moscow. It just seems like such a low priority between terror attacks in Rome or the assassination in Taipei.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Last playthrough I had to stop for a while, as I unloaded a clip into someone at point blank and missed every time.

That's some Lutece shit.

On the bright side, I discovered that you can end Russia without going after that one corrupt businessman, which came as a surprise.

Which basically makes you a patsy. You've just helped team evil by taking out their rival and left them untouched. It makes the conversation with Leyland particularly sarcastic as Mike is all "totes screwed you" and Leyland is "indeed" with a giant fucking smirk on his face as he knows you've screwed up.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Its disavowal of traditional videogame ethics renders Alpha Protocol a still-fascinatingly playable proof-of-concept, even if no one would ever consider it a great game in its own right.

Someone needs a good ol' fashion throat punching.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    It's so bad, yet good?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    It's so bad, yet good?

ITS SO GOOD THAT ITS GREAT.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

The end was incredibly stupid, though.
    "This is a bad guy! Go to this place to kill him! Or wait, now that you have him in your sights I'm not sure he's a bad guy after all."

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That's not the only ending.

• Options
    theres like a billion endings.

• Options
    For an industry that claims games to have multiple endings and it's really just one line or cut scene different, AP really goes and puts that shit to shame. I still haven't ended the game with the redhead and I've tried. Hard.

• Options
    For an industry that claims games to have multiple endings and it's really just one line or cut scene different, AP really goes and puts that shit to shame. I still haven't ended the game with the redhead and I've tried. Hard.

To bad Bioware didn't learn anything from it *cough*

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Please let's not turn a non-ME thread into a ME3 ending discussion again. Please.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

Have you tried being Roger Moore as James Bond? That was my first playthrough and it worked out.

Does anyone have the picture of the branching conversation paths of a single chat in AP?

• Options
    Wait, what's the other ending to that business with the maybe al-Samad guy?

• Options
  • Options
    In Rome, you have that one mission at a villa where you're camped out with a sniper rifle gathering info on various people. The main target it possible al-Samad, possibly not. You get the choice to shoot him, but Mina's all "I dunno lol."

Also.

About Mina.
    I know she's NSA. But what was all that about her ordering the strike on you in Saudi Arabia about?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Please let's not turn a non-ME thread into a ME3 ending discussion again. Please.

DA2 was worse :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I managed that my... second try? Maybe the third?

Then again, I got
    Heck kills Scarlet
    my first time out, and that's apparently one of the most difficult ones to get.

Interesting game.

• Options
    Alpha Protocol is definitely a fascinating game. I can't call it a good one, but it is incredibly interesting. In terms of cast, it's the best of Obsidian's game. These characters are fascinating, and some of them, like Sis and Stephen Heck would make for amazing protagonists in their own rights.

The trouble is in the gameplay. The godawful, barely functioning gameplay.

• Options
    It did have problems, but it's nowhere near as bad as the endless whining makes it out to be. If you actually try to work with it, waiting for the guns to get laser accurate, rather than trying to run and gun like ME2, and then complaining when it doesn't work

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I emptied a clip into a guard at point blank range. Not a single shot hit. Either he was fucking Agent Smith, or there is something seriously wrong with this game. And it's not just the gunplay. I mean stuff like how incredibly stupid the guards are, or the timer on the conversation wheel. Just genuinely bad choices.

I should stress, I do like this game. I really do. But there are genuinely, objectively bad things in it.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    The conversation timer was horrible.

As a lover of narratives, it's my least favorite part of the game.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    It's one of the few weak points in the narrative set up. I mean, I love the amount detail and possibility they built into the system, and I can see what they were going for with the timer, but it honestly did shoot them in the foot.

• Options
    I emptied a clip into a guard at point blank range. Not a single shot hit. Either he was fucking Agent Smith, or there is something seriously wrong with this game. And it's not just the gunplay. I mean stuff like how incredibly stupid the guards are, or the timer on the conversation wheel. Just genuinely bad choices.

I should stress, I do like this game. I really do. But there are genuinely, objectively bad things in it.

That's exactly what I mean by refusing to play along with the game, and instead complaing that it isn't just another UE3 covershooter

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but I should be able to shoot things in a game with guns. An operative of the United States' most elite and top secret intelligence agency should be able to hit a target standing all of six feet in front of him. Don't give me guff about playing the game wrong. Look at New Vegas, even with zero in guns, you can still get a shot or two in.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Alpha Protocol is definitely a fascinating game. I can't call it a good one, but it is incredibly interesting. In terms of cast, it's the best of Obsidian's game. These characters are fascinating, and some of them, like Sis and Stephen Heck would make for amazing protagonists in their own rights.

I'm not even sure the cast is that great.

Heck, yes. And there's some nice secrets to most of the cast, (or all) but mostly they're... okay. Like, a trick a lot of things use is to open with a character having a comedic or otherwise prominent trait, and then when you dig deeper you get them as a person instead of a one note joke.

Here, something like half the cast doesn't get the first interesting note to draw you in. And they're different under the surface, but not always interesting. Like, the facts about them are awesome. They don't always live up.
    Also, I can't tell if it's intentional that Albatross, for all his acting smooth and professional, is a total fuckup. Like, if it's on purpose, props to Obsidian, that's subtle but effective work, even if the bit at the mansion still makes no sense. If he's meant to be a pro, then... yeah.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Heck, yes. And there's some nice secrets to most of the cast, (or all) but mostly they're... okay. Like, a trick a lot of things use is to open with a character having a comedic or otherwise prominent trait, and then when you dig deeper you get them as a person instead of a one note joke.

Here, something like half the cast doesn't get the first interesting note to draw you in. And they're different under the surface, but not always interesting. Like, the facts about them are awesome. They don't always live up.
    Also, I can't tell if it's intentional that Albatross, for all his acting smooth and professional, is a total fuckup. Like, if it's on purpose, props to Obsidian, that's subtle but effective work, even if the bit at the mansion still makes no sense. If he's meant to be a pro, then... yeah.
    Albatross is a total fuck up. G22 is one of those failed Alpha Protocols, like Deus Vult, that had to splinter off. He's basically just a beuracrat, and had no business being in the field. I'm honestly not sure what the hell he was doing out there.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    I like to imagine that Albatross' birth name is Dunning Kruger.

• Options
    About Heck.
    I love the implication that he's not even a real agent. Just some crazy fuck going wild in Taipei. He's a competent Dale Gribble, basically.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Albatross is a total fuck up. G22 is one of those failed Alpha Protocols, like Deus Vult, that had to splinter off. He's basically just a beuracrat, and had no business being in the field. I'm honestly not sure what the hell he was doing out there.
    Yeah, that bit is the bit I felt was bad even if you're intended to think "For all this guy's bluster, he's kinda crap at this". Like, there's not being as good as you think, and there's being in the field when that's what you have people for.