Options

Alpha Protocol: Apparently now an Obsidian gossip thread

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey, buddy! You like those TV cooking shows?

1440177hecksuper.jpg

Dram on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    oh weird, did a big patch just happen to hit the same day the game went on sale? Anybody know if the steam version was patched?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    oh hey look, a alpha protocol thread I can actually find. Thanks for renaming the thread! I tried searching for so long lol.

Ok so, recommendations? I'm gonna pick this up today, I hear going pistol will help me get past some of the crappyness of the combat? any other tips? Unofficial patches to use? etc?

The pistol skill that allows you to slow time and target your shots (chainshot, maybe?) is the best way to cheese the bosses. Fully upgraded stealth allows you to cheese past everything else (you can turn invisible for 45 seconds and just go around snapping necks, and then repeat it a minute or two later).

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok so, recommendations? I'm gonna pick this up today, I hear going pistol will help me get past some of the crappyness of the combat? any other tips? Unofficial patches to use? etc?
    Pistols and Stealth make the game really easy. Throw some points into Melee as well in case enemies rush you and you're pretty much set.

Putting a single point in Sabotage allows you to use EMPs to bypass lockpicking and hacking and whatnot. Putting two points into it scales the difficulty for lockpicking and hacking and whatnot down to a manageable level for the entire game... for me, at least. It's a bit skill-based, so your mileage may vary.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    oh weird, did a big patch just happen to hit the same day the game went on sale? Anybody know if the steam version was patched?

That's and excellent question.

So for 7.50 I couldn't pass this up. Looks to be well worth the price of admission.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I already bought this for full price at launch, and I'm strongly considering buying it again... I'm pretty jealous of all of the people buying it now who get to play through this for the first time.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In addition to game suggestions like absolutely vital pistols (and then a little in stealth or martial arts for one section of the game), if you have a wired 360 controller laying around use that.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah..AP for £5, I'll bite.

Rami on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I bit at $7.50. I figure it should be fun enough to be worth that much.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Any word on any console patches?

Not that it's really relevant to me; I got my platinum trophy months ago.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2010
    Rami wrote: »

That's pretty much the right price.

Tube on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In addition to game suggestions like absolutely vital pistols (and then a little in stealth or martial arts for one section of the game), if you have a wired 360 controller laying around use that.

well.. I have a wireless 360 controller + USB Adaptor. will that work too? :p

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Totally just bought this because my stupid gift card finally started working on Steam. I'm glad it wasn't working back when Alpha Protocol was on sale for $15 or whatever and I was trying to buy it then.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Excellent OP btw!

I just got this because of the Steam Sale. Anything I should know? I heard pure stealth isn't good for bosses, is that still true?

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Any mods or fan patches out there worth it for AP?

tofu on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Got this tonight, having massive flashbacks to the old Covert Action by Sid Meier playing this so far.

Noticed there seems to be an unfortunate bug that puts me into a standing position when I reload a save though. Any known workarounds?

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As far as tips for first timers -- I'll reinforce pretty much everything everyone's said about pistols and stealth. I actually thought they were almost game-breakingly overpowered and refused to put any more skill points in them than I thought was absolutely necessary (which was about half-way in each case).

For my primary weapon (I considered pistols my secondary) I went with the assault rifles because, when combined with sub-sonic ammunition, they're also silent but accurate at a much longer range -- but the ammunition is fucking expensive so it's generally an option you want to reserve for situations where there's really no other viable choice. Most of my other points were dumped into both sabotage (for the cash bonuses you get out of hacking and some active and passive feats that reduce hacking difficulty) and technical aptitude (mainly for field stripping, which increases the amount of ammunition you loot from drops -- see my complaint about super-expensive sub-sonic AR ammo).

Strategic advice: put off all boss fights as long as you can by doing other missions to get more XP, equipment and money. Some of the boss fights will seriously enrage you even when you do have all of the skills required.

Logistical advice: Generally speaking, resist the urge to spend your money on middle-tier weapons and armor; it's generally more-practical to save up your money for the best upgrades available instead. The reason for this is that while you can use top-tier upgrades to increase a lower-tier weapon up to middle-tier performance, but whereas you'll be ditching your middle-tier weapons when you finally scrape together the cash for a top-tier firearm, you can keep all of your upgrades and reinstall them on a top-tier weapon later on.

There were a number of times where I found myself seriously regretting splurging on gear I didn't actually need earlier on in the game when I found myself trying to decide between taking a top-tier pistol or a top-tier rifle into the end game.

SammyF on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rami wrote: »

That's pretty much the right price.

I can't imagine paying more for this game based on all the horrible problems I heard about.

Still, I heard a lot of interesting things too so hopefully it ends up being worthwhile.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The bugs really are not nearly significant enough to warrant only buying it at $7 or lower.

Still, I hope AP gets some decent sales from this. It's pretty much my favorite RPG of the year right along with Mass Effect 2.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    The bugs really are not nearly significant enough to warrant only buying it at $7 or lower.

Still, I hope AP gets some decent sales from this. It's pretty much my favorite RPG of the year right along with Mass Effect 2.

I agree with this sentiment whole-heartedly. I gather that the PC version is more-broken than the 360 version (I only encountered a handful of issues on the 360), so that probably turned off a lot of people. And there were admittedly parts of the 360 version that were totally borked too -- for instance I'd realize that I forgot to check a safe and try to turn back to a previous section of the level and fall through the stairs into limbo. The execution wasn't all there -- you'd run up to a section of wall to use as cover during a firefight only to discover that it hadn't been made "sticky" for the game's cover-system. Or you'd be flipping through the manual from cover to cover forwards and backwards trying to get some explanation of the practical effect a certain weapon stat had but to no avail. The combat's a little bit on the chunky side, and the melee combat in particular was uninspired.

And yet it was still one of the best games I played this past year. Every moment of exasperation at Obsidian for the lack of execution was coupled with a moment where I put the controller down at the end of a fire-fight, leaned back into my sofa with a satisfied smirk and reflected on how I felt like a total bad-ass. I crave more of those moments.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There's not many bugs on PC version, either. There's poor game design all over the place, but the biggest complaint in the earlier days of the thread tended to be the checkpoint reload issues, and I think that was patched.

I'm not as enamored of the game as many in this thread, but I'd say it's worth the $7 even as a case study in branching narrative alone.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bought, cant pass up 7 dollars

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll say this much on what I've played so far: Very, very interesting.

Quite curious to see how much changes through the second time, doing it on a Rookie Hard run now.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

Quite curious to see how much changes through the second time, doing it on a Rookie Hard run now.

That...may not be the best idea for a first run. Unless you get the whole wait for crits, don't run and gun thing. And specialize in pistols

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Just remember it's generally agreed that the game starts getting good after Saudi Arabia.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The patch works with the Steam Version.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610044

Patch Download

http://help.sega.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=865

Steam Users have to download the Digital Download patch. Also run the game once and exit before you install the patch

C2B on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does the patch fix a lot of the bugs? I liked the game, just ran into a battery of bugs (note: not quest or mechanics related. I'm talking graphic glitches, freezes, crashes, etc) for my first playthrough. I want to play more...but not if it's still so unstable.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Supposedly it fixes, at the very least, the framerate skipping rotation bug/freeze when you move the mouse quickly

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The game is fun except for the goddamn boss fights. Is there any way to make them not a pain in the ass with a stealth character who only has a few points in shotguns? I'm having trouble with Brayko.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Does the patch fix a lot of the bugs? I liked the game, just ran into a battery of bugs (note: not quest or mechanics related. I'm talking graphic glitches, freezes, crashes, etc) for my first playthrough. I want to play more...but not if it's still so unstable.

What graphic glitches? DOF and Blur look HORRIBLE in this game so I would deactivate them.

As for freezes/crashes. Several were fixed and DRM is removed so I would give it another shot.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    The game is fun except for the goddamn boss fights. Is there any way to make them not a pain in the ass with a stealth character who only has a few points in shotguns? I'm having trouble with Brayko.

Visit the other locations first and level up. Go to Taipei and visit Stephen Heck especially since you can make the fight easier this way.
    Heck poisons the coke.

In the mission screen just go back a few screens and there you are.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Pistols. Chain Shot. Steel Core rounds. Works every time.

There is also one other thing that'll make the Brayko fight easier, but does involve loading your previous safehouse autosave and making a quick trip to Taipei.
    Go make friends with Steven Heck. If you do that, you can have Heck spike Brayko's cocaine. This'll make the fight a lot easier, because Brayko's knife rampage will be a lot less effective and he may even gradually lose health when he's coked up.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Pistols are always the answer. Chainshot is the win button.

My first playthrough I went against type and played brash and murderous, using the assault rifle. Fortunately even then people were recommending pistols because it had come out in Europe first, so I had been leveling them as well, which is nice because the AR turned out to be completely useless against the very boss you mention (and who gives everyone trouble).

Aside from its boss-slaying virtues, chainshot is also basically a sniper rifle. Two taps to the head at any range and that person is dropping, accuracy be damned.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This game could have been much better with a bit more time. It wouldn't be that hard to add in stealthy ways to fight bosses like trip mines.

I'm liking the conversation system more than the one in Mass Effect because it is just on a topic rather than something like "what an ass" coming out as "you were very mean, and I demand you apologize!"

Couscous on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maybe it's cause of all the negative riffraff but I really dug AP. It'll be up there when our GOTY vote comes around. I'd also add Saboteur if that wasn't technically a last year release. Call me a sucker for dark horses.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    C2B wrote: »

What graphic glitches? DOF and Blur look HORRIBLE in this game so I would deactivate them.

As for freezes/crashes. Several were fixed and DRM is removed so I would give it another shot.

Textures disappearing, framerate drops when looking at certain objects, graphic corruption when playing for a few hours. Literally a bunch of things like that, despite other games running fine/newest drivers/the usual bullshit.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    At least my computer runs it well. I can't say the same thing about Red Faction: Guerrilla or GTAIV. Jesus, GTAIV was one terrible port.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Textures disappearing, framerate drops when looking at certain objects, graphic corruption when playing for a few hours. Literally a bunch of things like that, despite other games running fine/newest drivers/the usual bullshit.

Thats... new. Graphical corruption isn't an issue that came up often till now. But it seemed to have hit you hard. Tried the patch already?

Also Alpha Protocol is now Number 3 on the top sale list. After Boarderlands and Black Ops.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Thats... new. Graphical corruption isn't an issue that came up often till now. But it seemed to have hit you hard. Tried the patch already?

Gonna try it this weekend. I remember one huge one was the fountain in one of the safe houses. Whenever I looked at that thing _something_ went wrong. Sometimes my fps dropped to 5, sometimes it just had a white texture on it.

Also Alpha Protocol is now Number 3 on the top sale list. After Boarderlands and Black Ops.

Whoa. Hope it sells enough for an xpac!

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just got this on Steam, going to give it a whirl after class. Looking forward to it.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png