As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

White liberals and black schools

The ScribeThe Scribe Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Are there any white liberals here who attended predominately black public schools from the first to the twelfth grade? If so, please explain what it was like.

Are there any white liberals here who send their children to predominately black public schools? If so, please explain what it is like.

In either case, did or does the experience reinforce your liberalism, or challenge it?

The Scribe on

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not exactly sure what the significance of the situation proposed in the question is suppose to be.

Henroid on
  • The ScribeThe Scribe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure what the significance of the situation proposed in the question is suppose to be.

Does sustained contact with blacks dispel race prejudice, or reinforce it?

The Scribe on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My dad grew up going to predominantly-black schools. The only thing that deeply affected his views was his income level.

Incenjucar on
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm white as could be grew up in a predominantly black neighborhood and attended a predominantly black school, and I'm fairly liberal (socially, anyway). I don't really see what you're getting at because well...it's like school. You go to class, play ball at recess, dick around with your friends.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
    edited August 2010
    I went to a heavily mix-race school. I got into fist fights with people of every prominent nationality and skin color.

However, it was the white kids who always tried to stab me with things.

Incenjucar on
    edited August 2010
    The Scribe wrote: »

Some black people are nice, some black people are racist dicks. Some white people are nice, some white people are racist dicks.

Just Some Dude on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a point here somewhere?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

The Scribe is being too chickenshit to come out and say what I think it's pretty obvious his point is.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited August 2010
    Basically the summation of my experiences with black students while attending school is that white people are violent, cowardly, thieving monsters.

Incenjucar on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i went to a school that was predominantly non-white, with a high population of somalians, arabs, and east asians, a good lot of haitians, and i think most of the african immigrants were nigerian?

turns out people are pretty much the same no matter what colour they are

Evil Multifarious on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Why would it reinforce it?

Henroid on
    edited August 2010
    I never should have posted because this thread is terrible and now I have a blue dot next to it.

Just Some Dude on
    edited August 2010
    I'm also not sure what this has to do with liberalism. There are conservatives who aren't racist bigots.

Incenjucar on
    edited August 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I'm also not sure what this has to do with liberalism. There are conservatives who aren't racist bigots.

My guess is The Scribe is trying to get someone else to say what he thinks (to avoid the obvious backlash) and is having trouble getting anyone else to buy his Glen Beck worthy theory: that "liberals" would hate black people too if they just got to know them better.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Are there any white liberals here who attended predominately black public schools from the first to the twelfth grade? If so, please explain what it was like.

Are there any white liberals here who send their children to predominately black public schools? If so, please explain what it is like.

In either case, did or does the experience reinforce your liberalism, or challenge it?

i went to a predominantly black inner-city high school.

it was awful. aside from the vast and endless emotional torment, i was subject to a lot of physical aggression. every day i was insulted and belittled on racial lines (and the knowledge that, one day, discriminatory loan practices would make me the aggregate winner, didn't help one bit, and yes this hurt my feelings, louis ck be damned). usually it had a physical bent, though, that made emotional considerations secondary. in addition to being swung on in the hallways, i

a.) got to and from school on public transit, which was also open season

and

b.) had to eat in the city like everyone else, as there was no cafeteria

shit went on then, too.

finally in i guess the later parts of tenth, into the beginning of eleventh, grade, most of this abated. i made 'casual' acquaintances with most of my classmates, and good friends with a few.

i believe that the same could have happened to any 'other' young person in a school full of shit-on, poor young people, regardless of race. it was a harrowing experience that will probably be with me for a long time, and has influenced my personaliy, but it didn't change my views on race or politics in the slightest (except that we should have very well funded schools).

Organichu on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I live in a predominantly black (Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi Asian mostly) area and most of my work colleagues are non-white. Does that count?

Politically I am also way further left than anyone in mainstream US politics.

japan on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I did, but only until I was seven and my family moved to a new neighborhood. I don't know how much it affected me, save for maybe being more horrified at all the awful racist preppies in high school than most.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I remember this little blurb from 60 Minutes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=1095233n&tag=mncol;lst;10

Howard Stern talks about being a minority in high school.

emnmnme on
    edited August 2010
    The longer The Scribe goes without answering the thread's questions himself, the more awkward it is gonna get up in here.

Henroid on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am white and am surrounded by other white people. Obviously, my opinions are highly irrelevant because of this.

Hoz on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This thread fails for discriminating against me.

At any rate, I'm black and went to a predominantly black and Latino HS. It had an IB program to help with racial balance, and the majority of the IB students were white. I was in IB, so I knew at least a quarter of the white people at my school. I cannot recall any of them complaining about being targeted for being white. Mind you, we were not sequestered in IB only classes all day, and almost all of us participated in some extra-curricular activity that brought us in regular contact with non-IB students. I never saw any bullshit go down in the cafeteria either. In fact, despite supposedly being a dangerous school because of all the minorities, my HS was actually pretty safe. Fights were fairly abnormal, and none of my white friends were ever involved in a fight

Oh, and I believe almost all of my white friends were liberal at the time. No clue if they still are, but I imagine they might be.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited August 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    This thread fails for discriminating against me.

At any rate, I'm black and went to a predominantly black and Latino HS. It had an IB program to help with racial balance, and the majority of the IB students were white. I was in IB, so I knew at least a quarter of the white people at my school. I cannot recall any of them complaining about being targeted for being white. Mind you, we were not sequestered in IB only classes all day, and almost all of us participated in some extra-curricular activity that brought us in regular contact with non-IB students. I never saw any bullshit go down in the cafeteria either. In fact, despite supposedly being a dangerous school because of all the minorities, my HS was actually pretty safe. Fights were fairly abnormal, and none of my white friends were ever involved in a fight

Oh, and I believe almost all of my white friends were liberal at the time. No clue if they still are, but I imagine they might be.

i don't think anyone in my school even knew what IB or AP was

spanish was our only foreign language

they introduced one ap class (english lit, i think) in my last year there

it was p. bad

Organichu on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait, is the OP suggesting that being the target of discrimination would normally make someone more conservative? Comedy gold.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I went to a heavily mix-race school. I got into fist fights with people of every prominent nationality and skin color.

OptimusZed wrote: »

it seems
    incenjucar....
    got the point.....

YEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH 8-)

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited August 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    Wait, is the OP suggesting that being the target of discrimination would normally make someone more conservative? Comedy gold.

i think he's intimating that people who regularly interact with black folks are (regardless of whether they were discriminated against) not going to be as enthused about ceding to them... i'm not sure what

sympathy?

equality?

whatever

i can't really figure out a non-bigoted interpretation of this thread

Organichu on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Up until high school, I was in very heavily black schools (i.e. being the only white person in my grade at my school for a few years). Being a chubby nerd geek who was also white, I was on the receiving end of a lot of shit; I didn't have any friends during all of my time in these schools. Even then I wasn't consciously racist, though it took me a long time to get past subconscious crap.

These days, I'm super liberal as hell and about a third of my close friends are black.

Edit: Thinking back, it wasn't just getting picked on. It was that Memphis City Schools were/are fucked up as hell, probably on account of being poor as fuck. As in heavy gang presence, under the table blowjobs, fights with teachers, carrying guns into school. And remember, this was in middle school.

Kamar on
    edited August 2010
    I went to an almost all white high school in Kansas.

But moving to Philadelphia and being surrounded by African Americans, getting to see them as people close up, really solidified my status as an out and out Liberal.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Funnily enough, white people are always the ones who give me the most problems when I'm at work. Everyone else tends to be polite and comply with the rules.

Hacksaw on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i'm not sure what point you guys are trying to make by bringing up those anecdotes, is...the thing.

unless the point is 'there is no point'

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited August 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

i think he's intimating that people who regularly interact with black folks are (regardless of whether they were discriminated against) not going to be as enthused about ceding to them... i'm not sure what

sympathy?

equality?

whatever

yeah I'm kind of assuming he got bullied by some non-white kids and is now seeking some kind of bizarre permission to use that experience to legitimise hating on non-whites in general. Instead of, you know, hating on bullies, like a sensible person would.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited August 2010
    If you look at his infraction history the purpose of this thread becomes very clear indeed. Also, his status has continuously been online and "viewing" this thread since he started it.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • The ScribeThe Scribe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

sympathy?

equality?

whatever

yeah I'm kind of assuming he got bullied by some non-white kids and is now seeking some kind of bizarre permission to use that experience to legitimise hating on non-whites in general. Instead of, you know, hating on bullies, like a sensible person would.

The only boys who picked on me were white. Since then I have been the victim of several violent black felonies.

The Scribe on
    edited August 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    i'm not sure what point you guys are trying to make by bringing up those anecdotes, is...the thing.

i think that's what everyone is trying to accomplish

some people here have not had a lot of experience with black folks and still aren't hateful fucks

others have had plenty of experience with them and had positive experience and still aren't hateful fucks

and others still (like me) have had plenty of experience with them, much of it 'stereotypically' negative, and still aren't hateful fucks

i.e., we can rise above and think through our experiences and divine humanist, progressive values regardless of varying levels of experience with different people

Organichu on
    edited August 2010

sympathy?

equality?

whatever

The only boys who picked on me were white. Since then I have been the victim of several violent black felonies.

carried a gun since i was legally able

had to draw it once

group of white guys

anecdote anecdote anecdote

Organichu on
    edited August 2010

sympathy?

equality?

whatever

What the fuck ever, man. You're trying to use bad things that happened to you as an excuse to be racist, instead of hating bad behaviour as you should, and no-one here is going to tell you thats ok, no matter how many of these threads you start.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • dzenithdzenith Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm guessing that the OP is going to show up with another userid pretty soon here to post his anecdotal experiences of how horrible poor black people are and how liberals are creating a welfare state because they didn't have the enlightening experiences that he had.

He obviously missed the racism newsletter or he would have realized that it was hispanic hate month/year.

edit: oh I was wrong - same userid.

dzenith on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I guess we'll never know, since it'd require returning to the thread and explaining the point of the OP.

EDIT: Return noted, but still no explanation. Don't let us twist in the wind, Scribe. Tell us how you really feel.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure where I fit.

Whites and blacks were the minority at my high school.

Passerbye on
    edited August 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I guess we'll never know, since it'd require returning to the thread and explaining the point of the OP.

EDIT: Return noted, but still no explanation. Don't let us twist in the wind, Scribe. Tell us how you really feel.

This should answer your questions: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=8820508&postcount=613

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited August 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »

I think the point of thread creation was to try and "out" members of this fairly liberal forum as ivory tower intellectual liberals that haven't actually made any contact with the real world.

I'm not sure what that would have accomplished, though.

OptimusZed on