Options

White liberals and black schools

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i have a question for the OP, how is it that you keep those hoods so upright and pointy, is there like a cardboard cone on the inside or something to hold the shape? but then how do you keep it on your head and not fall over and stuff. Or is there elastic kinda like a giant birthday hat
    I've always wondered about that
    secrets.......

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    obvious_troll.jpg

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    dzenithdzenith Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    i have a question for the OP, how is it that you keep those hoods so upright and pointy, is there like a cardboard cone on the inside or something to hold the shape? but then how do you keep it on your head and not fall over and stuff. Or is there elastic kinda like a giant birthday hat
    I've always wondered about that
    secrets.......

That was awesome.

dzenith on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What's a black felony?

Henroid on
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Same as a white felony but it comes with double the jail sentence.

Isidore on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OOH!

Is it stupid anecdotal evidence time?

Cool, here goes.

I'm white, went to a predominantly white school and had difficulty fitting in because I was bookish and introspective. as a result all through elementary and high school on the far side of the social scene.

I've been mugged once and it was by 3 white guys.

I'm also pretty liberal.

Do I get a gold star now?

Gaddez on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Here, Gaddez. Just for you!

GoldStar[1].png

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    On Stormfront it's often said that your support of diversity is proportional to your distance from it. Or, as they call it, "die-versity." The reasoning being that minorities commit a larger portion of crime and White people are in greater danger when living amongst them. Unsound reasoning but it makes folks like you angry so I'm ok with it.

Cedar Brown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Here, Gaddez. Just for you!

GoldStar[1].png

heart_by_mycort.jpg
    the love I feel for you Passerbye is powered by OP closet racism/conservatism.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I got bused across state to an awful inner-city school in 5th grade.

I got beat up.

Only thing it affected was how strongly I care about equal, generous education for everyone.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sometimes this forum is weird (the opening post) and other times it's the greatest place (every other post in the thread).

Isidore on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Only thing it affected was how strongly I care about equal, generous education for everyone.
    One of the worst things we've ever done to inner city people of any color is tie school funding to local property taxes.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »
    One of the worst things we've ever done to inner city people of any color is tie school funding to local property taxes.

I can't lime this enough. And no matter what equalizing measures are enacted to try and make up for it, they just can't keep up with the fluctuations, etc. Local property taxes are the worst foundation for funding the modern school system.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wow

"black felonies"

wow

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I left the area I went to school in actually kind of racist because it was not the best experience and I blamed it on people's skin color rather than the much more real issues of the area like poverty, local crime, and other hardships that were sometimes even reinforced by the prejudices of the teachers themselves. Then I lived in other places and realized this was stupid of me and so the view lasted for maybe a year after graduating until realizing preconceived notions I had developed on my own in a limited environment were stupid and didn't apply to the real world.

In sum, it was like going to high school.

Quid on
  • Options
    FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How's that joke go?

A Liberal is a Conservative who's been to prison, and a Conservative is a Liberal who's been mugged.

Or

Q: How diverse is your university?
    A: Very diverse! In fact, the longer you stay here, diverse it gets!

I also don't think that the nebulous goal of "increase school funding" has helped anything. Teachers' pay keeps going up, test scores keep going down. Not necessarily causation there, but still...
    The real problem is the lack of reasonable, enforceable disciplinary and educational standards, which is happening in all schools, not just the poor inner-city and rural schools.

I really wonder what would happen if the Department of Education were disbanded, and control over the structure of the schools was given to each individual state. I bet it couldn't be less effective than what we have now.

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i am mostly curious now about whether the scribe thinks black people are predisposed towards crime and thuggery by their physiology

and whether he subscribes to a brainpan theory or perhaps believes in some kind of crime gland

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ah... phrenology ^_^

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love this so much.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hahaha

The Scribe, one day your Socratic seminar will end in everyone having an epiphany that racism is totally ballin'. One day.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    What's a black felony?

Driving While

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You know, I think I'd respect the scribe slightly more if he just came out of the Kloset and said what he belives and ate the inevitable red card rather then throwing up this smoke screen of speculative bullshit.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I went to a 'black' elementary school for one year @ Saratoga (forced bussing back when that existed) and a 'black' high school (Omaha North High)

I uh.. those were probably the best schools I ever went to

I never got bullied at Saratoga and Omaha North had the awesome block scheduling and a gigantic computer area like you were on the bridge of the Enterprise

Then I went to Omaha South ("white school") for my last year where I was the only CAD 7-8 student in the entire building (keep in mind South was a "computer magnet") and my AP Comp Sci was a repeat of my C++ 1-2 class from my freshman year at North

tl;dr no, it didn't really affect my views at all, except anger at OPS for forcing me to transfer to South, and pointing out the silliness of the magnet system

But in general I think Scribe wants to say something but he doesn't want to actually say it unless he can find some vague hint that someone is as much of a goose as he is
    The "Whitest" school in the OPS system, Bryan High, was basically a minimum security prison

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Working in Dallas and New York, I've come to realize that expressed behavior is much more dependent on your income level and economic class.

Middle class people, of any race or condition, generally act the most polite and decent. It's when you dip down to the lower rungs of the economic latter, or go to the higher levels, that people start acting stupid.

Now, when that happens, it happens differently for every racial group. Poor black people act out differently than poor white people, who act out differently than poor hispanic people, . . . etc. Generally, however, all wealthier folks act stupid in the same ways.

Atomika on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Atomic Ross that's dumb

The poorer people only have different ways of "acting out" by way of what is available as an outlet.

It isn't a racial thing

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I graduated from a predominately black high school.

It was just fine. The white kids there were crazy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I also don't think that the nebulous goal of "increase school funding" has helped anything. Teachers' pay keeps going up, test scores keep going down. Not necessarily causation there, but still...
    The real problem is the lack of reasonable, enforceable disciplinary and educational standards, which is happening in all schools, not just the poor inner-city and rural schools.

I really wonder what would happen if the Department of Education were disbanded, and control over the structure of the schools was given to each individual state. I bet it couldn't be less effective than what we have now.

Rent-seeking and interest-grouping at a state and local level is going to be bad enough to outweigh the minor benefits from interstate and interregional school competition. How many families do you think could afford to pick up and move from their jobs to find their children a marginally better school? Or have 3+ schools within a reasonable distance?

(interest groups are national; e.g., one reason the Texas Board of Education keeps getting creationists elected to it is because conservatives across the nation funnel money into the state campaigns. So they find it easy to influence state elections. But swinging the federal Dept of Ed is much, much harder.)

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Is there a point here somewhere?

The Scribe is being too chickenshit to come out and say what I think it's pretty obvious his point is.

Really the thread should've just ended here. It's not like Scribe's been interested in spelling out his point behind this since he started it.

subedii on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    All the drug dealers at my school were white and had the most pronounced southern accents

glithert on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Working in Dallas and New York, I've come to realize that expressed behavior is much more dependent on your income level and economic class.

Middle class people, of any race or condition, generally act the most polite and decent. It's when you dip down to the lower rungs of the economic latter, or go to the higher levels, that people start acting stupid.

Now, when that happens, it happens differently for every racial group. Poor black people act out differently than poor white people, who act out differently than poor hispanic people, . . . etc. Generally, however, all wealthier folks act stupid in the same ways.

Gee, people with nothing to lose act out. Next you'll be telling me that you're shocked to find out that gambling is going on here.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, time for anecdotal stories, eh? Cool. :^:

Ok, so I went to high school at James Campbell, in Ewa Beach, HI., a town comprised of the lower-middle-class and mostly poor. I lived in Kapolei at the time, 20 minutes drive away, land of the middle-and-upper-class. I went to Campbell because it was the only high school in my area at that time.

These are the races that my school had, arranged by number of students per racial group from largest to smallest. Filipino, Samoan, mixed-race (most of whom looked like some variation of brown, if that means anything), Japanese, Korean and Chinese, Thai, Hawaiian, Puerto Rican, Okinawan, Caucasian and African American. In my graduating class of about 400, 10 were Caucasian and one was African American.

I will also mention that in some areas of Hawaii Caucasians face racism. This is rooted in the terrible things that the Caucasian missionaries did to the native Hawaiians, a history I won't go into. Needless to say, at my school there were times where I was forcefully reminded by some that I was the minority, partially because they saw me as being richer or more privileged because I was white.

We had racial tensions all the time at my school and most people hung out based on race (or what they looked like/grew up with) more than anything else (mostly because a good 1/3 of my school were immigrants still learning English and another good 1/3 had parents or grandparents who were immigrants and so they were strongly attached to their cultures). We had plenty of gang violence and drug problems too. The things that united people at my school were the things which typically seem to divide people at Mainland (continental US) schools - band, cheerleading, sports teams, student government, chess club, etc. Anyone who wanted to could try for them, so they were the activities which had mixed races. Our JROTC drill team managed national championship titles for years, before I started going there. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still managing those titles.

The non-school-activity group I hung out with primarily consisted of military kids from all different races, as well as the outcasts from the racial cliques. With us it wasn't so much about your race as your personality. If you were even tempered and kinda liked indie-alternative music and piercings then you were cool by us. My best friends, the women I call my sisters to this day, are of Japanese-Okinawan and Japanese-Chinese descent.

So, what was the ultimate lesson of Campbell, for me? That idiocy isn't bound by skin color, that financial standing and perceived financial standing can have more impact than anything else, that culture is fluid, and that ultimately if you have a common goal then you have all you need to do great things.

I don't think anyone here agrees with your nonsense ideas of genetic predisposition, and trying to get us to somehow "reason" your ideas out from blatantly racist questions isn't going to get the response you want.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gee, people with nothing to lose act out. Next you'll be telling me that you're shocked to find out that gambling is going on here.

Where did I say was shocked? I'm not shocked. I'm just pointing out that "stereotypical" behavior isn't nearly as racial as it is economic. And even when it does gentrify down to racial classification, it has far more to do with local culture than it does genetics. Caucasian Americans behave differently than Caucasian Europeans, Black Americans behave differently than Black Islanders or Africans, et al, etc etc . . .

Atomic Ross that's dumb

The poorer people only have different ways of "acting out" by way of what is available as an outlet.

It isn't a racial thing

It really isn't a racial thing, you're right. But cultural classification is most often gentrified along racial and economic divides. Simply, there's nothing about a person's skin color or the physical amount of money they posess that actively influences their behavior, but the societal and cultural subclasses those qualifiers arrange people into do influence their behavior.

Or more simply, making $10k/yr or having a skin tone of any color doesn't influence how you act, but self-identifying as "poor" or as part of an ethnic group does.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Personally I'm waiting for him to drop the OP's thinly-veiled subtext and start on the next round of racism/Orientalism.

"Did anyone go to school with any south-east Asian kids? Ain't they smart!"
    "Did anyone go to school with Jews? Ain't they money-grubbin'!"
    "Did anybody go to school with a German kid? Ain't they fascists!"
    "Did anybody go to school with a load of white kids? Ain't they genetically superior!"

And so on and so on.

Isidore on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Where did I say was shocked? I'm not shocked. I'm just pointing out that "stereotypical" behavior isn't nearly as racial as it is economic. And even when it does gentrify down to racial classification, it has far more to do with local culture than it does genetics. Caucasian Americans behave differently than Caucasian Europeans, Black Americans behave differently than Black Islanders or Africans, et al, etc etc . . .

Atomic Ross that's dumb

It isn't a racial thing

It really isn't a racial thing, you're right. But cultural classification is most often gentrified along racial and economic divides. Simply, there's nothing about a person's skin color or the physical amount of money they posess that actively influences their behavior, but the societal and cultural subclasses those qualifiers arrange people into do influence their behavior.

Or more simply, making $10k/yr or having a skin tone of any color doesn't influence how you act, but self-identifying as "poor" or as part of an ethnic group does.

Point well made

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Point well made

Thanks. If anything, my experiences have inclined me to believe that self-identification is the biggest predicator of one's behavior. People will generally act according to the role and status they believe themselves to posess.

Atomika on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    I work with maybe two white people. Everyone else is black.

Needless to say, I live in fear of the black felonies.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would like to take this moment to apologize for all the bad shit white people have done today.

Seriously, I am so sorry for all that. My bad.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I would like to take this moment to apologize for all the bad shit white people have done today.

Needs more reparations.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Needs more reparations.
    I've got $3, a Quiznos card and a subway token.

That work?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Black fellow knees! To google image search!

Apothe0sis on