Options

White liberals and black schools

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I would like to take this moment to apologize for all the bad shit white people have done today.

Seriously, I am so sorry for all that. My bad.

Needs more reparations.
    I've got $3, a Quiznos card and a subway token.

That work?
    Also this half-full pack of Juicy Fruit.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I guess we'll never know, since it'd require returning to the thread and explaining the point of the OP.

EDIT: Return noted, but still no explanation. Don't let us twist in the wind, Scribe. Tell us how you really feel.

somehow I find this line from a year and a half ago, by you, to scribe, hilarious:
    wwtMask wrote:

Start a thread if you feel like venting your spleen on how genetically deficient you think black Americans are. I'm sure it'll go over well and people will see you as an enlightened scholar instead of a racist assclown.

Also re: racism, I was in the military for three years. I met and worked with pretty much every race, color, and creed (they were pretty much all uniformly from the middle or lower class though). I was on joining and still am as liberal as all get out.

When I deployed to Iraq I had a black commander who is still one of the most racist people I've ever had the displeasure of knowing, and was basically a total dick to me who fucked me over repeatedly, pretty much because he could. He pretty much single handedly disinclined me from re-enlisting and really soured my last year in the army, mostly because of how big of an asshole he was.

I still believe he did it not because he was racist (I'm lily white) but because he was an asshole.

On the other hand, when I was in Iraq, I was in a pretty dark place for a time and thought about killing myself a lot. The person who went with me to all of the counseling I needed and was, in general, just an awesome friend, was mulatto. My sort of "spirit guide" and person I went to when I needed wisdom or advice, was black. And the man who got me to quit smoking, and taught me how to stand up for myself and don't take shit from anyone, was also black. These three people I can honestly say were my brothers and I can say with no hesistation that I'd take a bullet for any one of them, no questions asked.

I can also say with confidence that I wouldn't be on this earth right now if it weren't for black people.

So take your racism and shove it, scribe

Rent on
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I went to a predominantly black and asian school and it didnt really reinforce or destabilize my views on anything. Sure theres some stuff here and there you wouldn't have experienced if you went to Sacred Heart or some shit but it didnt really make a difference on my worldview.

Apart from the fact that i started liking rap. But thats about it.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2010
    Working in Dallas and New York, I've come to realize that expressed behavior is much more dependent on your income level and economic class.

Middle class people, of any race or condition, generally act the most polite and decent. It's when you dip down to the lower rungs of the economic latter, or go to the higher levels, that people start acting stupid.

Now, when that happens, it happens differently for every racial group. Poor black people act out differently than poor white people, who act out differently than poor hispanic people, . . . etc. Generally, however, all wealthier folks act stupid in the same ways.

this gels with my experiences. i'm not really sure why this is controversial to people on here.

the poor black kids in the DC hood had a different social schema from the poor white townies in Boston or the hispanic dropouts in Lubbock, Tx. But being in the role of an economic underclass tended to exacerbate and encourage antisocial behavior.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2010
    I would like to take this moment to apologize for all the bad shit white people have done today.

you're not white enough to speak for me

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ImperiusVImperiusV Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I went to a majority black school in middle school. It was in central Raleigh, and there were some gang problems. Thankfully, this distraction for the school allowed me to get away with sitting under a desk and reading some reference books during class. I really didn't think anything negative of black people from it. When I first got there, I thought it back people smelled bad, but then I realized that all pubescent kids smell bad.

Really, you meet all kinds of people in public school. I met smart whites, dumb whites, smart blacks and dumb blacks.

ImperiusV on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

You're welcome!

Lawndart on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Isidore wrote: »
    Personally I'm waiting for him to drop the OP's thinly-veiled subtext and start on the next round of racism/Orientalism.

"Did anyone go to school with any south-east Asian kids? Ain't they smart!"
    "Did anyone go to school with Jews? Ain't they money-grubbin'!"
    "Did anybody go to school with a German kid? Ain't they fascists!"
    "Did anybody go to school with a load of white kids? Ain't they genetically superior!"

And so on and so on.

You're in for a long wait. All Scribe does in D&D is try to wind people up. He's one of the cleverer trolls, since he posts so rarely (and never addresses this when people point it out,) replies to almost none of what anyone writes, while never stating anything outright that'd get him banned but dropping lots of hints.

On the plus side, I suppose being a troll is a lot better than being a huge racist who's too cowardly to come outright and say what he thinks, which is really the only alternative explanation for his posts in D&D.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    finally in i guess the later parts of tenth, into the beginning of eleventh, grade, most of this abated. i made 'casual' acquaintances with most of my classmates, and good friends with a few.

i believe that the same could have happened to any 'other' young person in a school full of shit-on, poor young people, regardless of race. it was a harrowing experience that will probably be with me for a long time, and has influenced my personaliy, but it didn't change my views on race or politics in the slightest (except that we should have very well funded schools).
    My high school was literally 100% upper middle class whites and I got harassed pretty much right up until the 11th grade or so because I lived in the next town over. Young teenagers will pick any reason to "other" the kids they perceive as being different.

Azio on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Azio wrote: »
    My high school was literally 100% upper middle class whites and I got harassed pretty much right up until the 11th grade or so because I lived in the next town over. Young teenagers will pick any reason to "other" the kids they perceive as being different.

This is how it works.

Same thing in the natural world too. If your family/pack doesn't accept you for whatever reason be prepared to be shunned, or left behind, or eaten.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I mean eventually my classmates got older and more mature and more comfortable with each other, and I was obviously older and unlikely to get harassed by kids 2-3 years younger than me, so the bullying died down as the years wore on. This seems to be a pretty common pattern for a lot of high school misfits and not necessarily a case of straight up racism or classism

Azio on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    rent you're... you're not supposed to say mulatto anymore

and you're not liberal as all get out

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    I'm not sure where I fit.

Whites and blacks were the minority at my high school.

everyone at my school is asian or white or hapa

i am going to end up a huge racist i bet

edit: oh hey you went to school in hawaii too let's feel superior to everyone else

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Working in Dallas and New York, I've come to realize that expressed behavior is much more dependent on your income level and economic class.

Middle class people, of any race or condition, generally act the most polite and decent. It's when you dip down to the lower rungs of the economic latter, or go to the higher levels, that people start acting stupid.

Now, when that happens, it happens differently for every racial group. Poor black people act out differently than poor white people, who act out differently than poor hispanic people, . . . etc. Generally, however, all wealthier folks act stupid in the same ways.

this gels with my experiences. i'm not really sure why this is controversial to people on here.

the poor black kids in the DC hood had a different social schema from the poor white townies in Boston or the hispanic dropouts in Lubbock, Tx. But being in the role of an economic underclass tended to exacerbate and encourage antisocial behavior.

Right. Every subculture tends to express their own ridiculousness in their own special way, and that's where the negative stereotypes come in. I mean, there are racist nicknames in every ER I've worked in, regardless of location, for each ethnicity's specific peculiar forms of expression, and it's stuff like that that causes racial stereotypes to develop.

Which a bit strange to delineate, because while what I'm essentially saying is that it's not fair to perpetuate a racist stereotype that's actually a socio-economic stereotype, I'm not exactly sure reassigning that emphasis is going to be a great leap forward. The difference between calling someone a "redneck" and "ignorant Caucasian" is that the latter may be more accurate, but not really all that progressive in itself. And honestly, it may just be complicating an issue that might not need it.

Atomika on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

edit: oh hey you went to school in hawaii too let's feel superior to everyone else

:lol: Woo, Hawaii. Sub-par education at it's finest!

Passerbye on
  • Options
    anonymityanonymity __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010

And I'm not sending my kids to schools in any of those places, because I want them to be educated.

anonymity on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I wasn't racist until a drug-abusing, lady-beating black neighbor put a bullet through the window of my spare bedroom while trying to scare his girlfriend, at which point I realized the terrible error of my prior thinking and the inherent criminality of the black population. Oh, wait. That would actually have been really fucking retarded.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Skin color doesn't make you a bad person, or even predisposed to being a bad person. It has no influence on that whatsoever. Your social and economic upbringing does though. This thread is silly.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bone daddy you need to post more often. <3

Passerbye on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think he's back from a vacation

Are you back from a vacation BD?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think he's back from a vacation

Are you back from a vacation BD?

I am actually on a vacation from my spine working properly. If I don't get back from it soon I may have to go see a bone-cracker to find out why looking left makes it feel like somebody's stabbing me between the shoulder blades. You know, without there being a satisfactorily felonious black around to blame it on.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I went to a predominantly redneck school. One of the things I learned was that just because black people can't get red necks, doesn't mean they can't be rednecks.

I guess we're all just one big gun-shootin', pickup truck-drivin', beer-drinkin', sheep-fuckin' family.
    Of course, even though the black rednecks and white rednecks were basically the same, it didn't stop the race fights

Mars on
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is "bone-cracker" a racism?

Stop with the racisms man.

This isn't the thread for it.

Isidore on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Isidore wrote: »
    Is "bone-cracker" a racism?

No, but it is a super-classism. So it's got that going for it.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm a pasty white liberal, though I was more conservative in high school, and was in 99.9% black schools k-12, so I guess I'll weigh in.

The schools I went to were not especially poor, though they were all overcrowded, but the students there felt like they WANTED to be ghetto, and we spent all our money on the football team and band, and didn't leave any for anything else. 2 people were killed in my time in high school, both on school grounds. I was in a magnet program for high achievers though, so I was mostly in classes of other pretty intelligent folk, ironically also 99.9% black. Well, maybe more like 90%.

Anyway, the main things I took away from that time:

1. I can say with pride that I am an 'honorary black person', because I was bestowed that honor in a very short ceremony.
    2. I know what CPT is.
    3. Whenever I watch a high school movie with the different cliques in such obvious groupings, it feels extremely bizarre to me, because we didn't really have any of that, that I was aware of. I was one of the biggest nerds in the school, but still played sports, was able to talk to most people without being snubbed, etc.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I am at least five times more white than you.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm a pasty white liberal, though I was more conservative in high school, and was in 99.9% black schools k-12, so I guess I'll weigh in.

The schools I went to were not especially poor, though they were all overcrowded, but the students there felt like they WANTED to be ghetto, and we spent all our money on the football team and band, and didn't leave any for anything else. 2 people were killed in my time in high school, both on school grounds. I was in a magnet program for high achievers though, so I was mostly in classes of other pretty intelligent folk, ironically also 99.9% black. Well, maybe more like 90%.

Anyway, the main things I took away from that time:

1. I can say with pride that I am an 'honorary black person', because I was bestowed that honor in a very short ceremony.
    2. I know what CPT is.
    3. Whenever I watch a high school movie with the different cliques in such obvious groupings, it feels extremely bizarre to me, because we didn't really have any of that, that I was aware of. I was one of the biggest nerds in the school, but still played sports, was able to talk to most people without being snubbed, etc.

My high school was too big to support cliques. The smaller teams had some cohesion due to practicing together, but our main sport was track, which involved way too many people to form a clique.

Our AP classes were devoid of white Christians, which left the main populations of the school: Jews and Asians. It would take an hour to get through the letter "C" during AP test attendance.

anonymity on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    By contrast, my high school was too small to really have cliques.

You could tell that some people kind of wished we had them, though. Which looking back is kind of sad.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm white. My high school was predominantly Asian.

Now, whenever I hear a calculator clicking, I tremble in fear of being out-mathed. This is no hyperbole (it's a bit more parabolic, to be honest).

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Drez wrote: »

Now, whenever I hear a calculator clicking, I tremble in fear of being out-mathed. This is no hyperbole (it's a bit more parabolic, to be honest).

I associate the clicking with these two really tall math whizzes (one white, one asian) who spent all of class playing games on their calculators yet still easily kept up with the class.

anonymity on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    anonymity wrote: »

I associate the clicking with these two really tall math whizzes (one white, one asian) who spent all of class playing games on their calculators yet still easily kept up with the class.

God, there was a white girl like that in my Geometry and pre-calc class like that, too. I was working hard to keep a C in those classes and she was making As without any effort. In fact, she got a detention notice once or twice for sleeping in class.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really wonder what would happen if the Department of Education were disbanded, and control over the structure of the schools was given to each individual state. I bet it couldn't be less effective than what we have now.

That is definitely not a smart bet.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

God, there was a white girl like that in my Geometry and pre-calc class like that, too. I was working hard to keep a C in those classes and she was making As without any effort. In fact, she got a detention notice once or twice for sleeping in class.

I mainly had trouble with the arithmetic. I was the king of partial credit.

anonymity on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    take solace in the fact that those people got an asskicking once they got to university, unless they were actual geniuses

L|ama on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

I mainly had trouble with the arithmetic. I was the king of partial credit.

For me it was arithmetic I was good at. Actual math not so much.

And yeah, playing tetris on my calculator worked in high school.

I regretted it when Calc II in college kicked my balls up into my chest.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    take solace in the fact that those people got an asskicking once they got to university, unless they were actual geniuses

Yes, but I'm still getting notes from the teacher on my tests expressing puzzlement at how my final answer managed to be wrong and spend hours on homework questions before realizing that I'm entering the constants from the wrong question into my calculator.

anonymity on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

:lol: Woo, Hawaii. Sub-par education at it's finest!

well, most of the public schools, anyway

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I, on the other hand, am. (Seriously, I'm so white I'm unphotographable. I just look like a big hunk of lens flare due to ambient lighting)

And to black people (and women), on behalf of white people, I'd like to say, we're totally sorry. Our bad.

We cool now? /fistbump?
    I'd also like to take the opportunity to make a shout out to my white male fore-fathers.

Thanks for putting us top of the heap of life. Hi5!

L|ama wrote: »

As one of those people back in high school, I can attest to this.

shryke on
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm Australian but when I was 11 me and my sister went to Lewis Wirth Middle School in chicago back in '99 (apparently it's since been renamed Miriam Canter). Me and my sis were the only two white kids there with a handful of hispanic kids and the rest black. The students there were pretty awesome, the teachers were pretty good if a little regimented with the curriculum but holy shit was the school admin anal. No walking around corridors except in single file class groups, no playground, one shitty gym lesson a week, metal detectors at the entrance and cops patrolling the block with loudspeakers advising students "DO NOT LOITER, GO HOME NOW" at the end of the day. Coming from the Australian school system it was bizarre, just the lack of trust that the faculty had in students, It was really demoralising.
    I can't really compare with other American schools though because that was the only one I went to. This was right after Columbine as well which I'm sure made a difference.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm a moderate mutt (I'm half-Filipino, so I look like a white guy with a tan and dark hair) who was bussed to predominantly black schools in Austin for the magnet schools program. I didn't have any racial stereotypes about blacks going in because I was from South Austin and it's predominantly black and latino. Though I think a lot of that goes with the fact that the schools were in Austin.

When I moved to MS for my junior and senior years of high school, it was a different world. I saw just about every negative stereotype about all races every day. Most of my friends here are black or mixed and don't like most of the black people around here.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.