Options

White liberals and black schools

• Options
    anonymityanonymity __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Hearthjaw wrote: »
    I'm Australian but when I was 11 me and my sister went to Lewis Wirth Middle School in chicago back in '99 (apparently it's since been renamed Miriam Canter). Me and my sis were the only two white kids there with a handful of hispanic kids and the rest black. The students there were pretty awesome, the teachers were pretty good if a little regimented with the curriculum but holy shit was the school admin anal. No walking around corridors except in single file class groups, no playground, one shitty gym lesson a week, metal detectors at the entrance and cops patrolling the block with loudspeakers advising students "DO NOT LOITER, GO HOME NOW" at the end of the day. Coming from the Australian school system it was bizarre, just the lack of trust that the faculty had in students, It was really demoralising.
    I can't really compare with other American schools though because that was the only one I went to. This was right after Columbine as well which I'm sure made a difference.

As someone from the Boston suburbs, I can say that your experiences are more a function of turn-of-the-century fear of urban violence and both Columbine and your school being out west.

anonymity on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I went to a school with a total of 4 black students and a bunch of middle eastern ones, I see myself as a liberal but recently white parents have been pulling their kids out of schools with a high ratio of minority children in their classes once they reach third grade or higher. This is because its percieved that minority children cause more problems in school and do worse and parents are dicks.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    anonymity wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    take solace in the fact that those people got an asskicking once they got to university, unless they were actual geniuses

Yes, but I'm still getting notes from the teacher on my tests expressing puzzlement at how my final answer managed to be wrong and spend hours on homework questions before realizing that I'm entering the constants from the wrong question into my calculator.

Pff, everyone does those. My best was doing an entire quantum mechanics question right with about an A4 page of working, and then getting the wrong answer at the end because I said 1/2 was less than 1/4.

L|ama on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    my school also had metal detectors

but the students acted like violent animals, so

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    take solace in the fact that those people got an asskicking once they got to university, unless they were actual geniuses

Yes, but I'm still getting notes from the teacher on my tests expressing puzzlement at how my final answer managed to be wrong and spend hours on homework questions before realizing that I'm entering the constants from the wrong question into my calculator.

Pff, everyone does those. My best was doing an entire quantum mechanics question right with about an A4 page of working, and then getting the wrong answer at the end because I said 1/2 was less than 1/4.

He actually told me he had no idea how I got the answer I did from the calculations I wrote. What's odd is that I can't ever remember getting a question wrong on a test due to not understanding the math, but I still manage around 91 on tests and 80 quizzes (the worth of all questions minus one) because I decided 3*3=9 and forgot which way was up. I don't think I've ever broken 95 on a math exam.

anonymity on
  • Options
    Punchy McFistPunchy McFist Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    What's a black felony?

It has more rhythm than a white felony

Punchy McFist on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Black Felonies walk like this
    God fearing White Felonies walk like this

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Scribe wrote: »
    Are there any white liberals here who attended predominately black public schools from the first to the twelfth grade? If so, please explain what it was like.

Are there any white liberals here who send their children to predominately black public schools? If so, please explain what it is like.

In either case, did or does the experience reinforce your liberalism, or challenge it?

In 7th-8th grade I went to MS 54 in Manhattan, on 107th St. and Amsterdam Ave. The program I was in was for gifted students, and the majority of students in the program (and in the school in general) were black. I was bullied and harassed by some, but it wasn't as bad as I made it seem like at the time. It reinforced my liberalism, insofar as I better understood what it feels like to be a minority, and raised my level of empathy. Furthermore, I knew a number of students who would have succeeded marvelously had they not been subjected to crippling poverty and a systemic culture of failure (from inside and out). The only way it could have challenged my liberalism is if I were a complete asshole.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

He actually told me he had no idea how I got the answer I did from the calculations I wrote. What's odd is that I can't ever remember getting a question wrong on a test due to not understanding the math, but I still manage around 91 on tests and 80 quizzes (the worth of all questions minus one) because I decided 3*3=9 and forgot which way was up. I don't think I've ever broken 95 on a math exam.

Friend of mine turned what would have been a nearly perfect 5 on the Music Theory AP test into a high 3/low 4 by accidentally put all his answers to the free response aural skills stuff on the scratch work sheet instead of the one they grade.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I'm white. My high school was predominantly Asian.

Now, whenever I hear a calculator clicking, I tremble in fear of being out-mathed. This is no hyperbole (it's a bit more parabolic, to be honest).

I associate the clicking with these two really tall math whizzes (one white, one asian) who spent all of class playing games on their calculators yet still easily kept up with the class.

God, there was a white girl like that in my Geometry and pre-calc class like that, too. I was working hard to keep a C in those classes and she was making As without any effort. In fact, she got a detention notice once or twice for sleeping in class.

It's me. I was that girl. My grade 12 math class was only 8 people and I used to sit on my desk and just sorta pay attention and take no notes and still had high marks.

This was also a thing that happened. University math got too theoretical for me and I just could not keep up with second year calc or linear algebra.

Asiina on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Same here too, heh. I stopped handing in the weekly assignments and the teacher stopped bothering to ask me for them - as long I kept getting As in the tests. Albeit that I'm not a girl...

Undergraduate math is very, very different from high-school math, yeah.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I grew up in an almost entirely white region and my school reflected that (1 mixed-race/half black dude, 1 mexican exchange student, a few local hispanic girls, apparently the daughters of recent immigrants - in the four years that I was in HS). It's also one of the poorest parts of the United States (if you look up the 100 poorest counties in the US, we were on there, and not too far from the top either). It was extremely rural and relatively isolated - well over an hour to get to an interstate, or even a movie theater. Our graduating class was quite small (less than 100 students).

For the most part, we didn't have cliques, bullying or any of that stuff. Violent crime in general was really uncommon among the adult community as well. Drugs were an entirely different story; they're an endemic, enduring and pervasive problem and the road to drug use generally starts in middle or high school. The reason the problem is so bad is that it's primarily socio-economic in its origins. Drugs offer people both an escape from the real world and a source of money. Many of the people I went to school with had parents who were in jail for drugs, or had been, or should have been. They grew up watching their parents grow weed or snort pills, and it's probably naive to expect them not to do the same. And, for the students who came from better homes, it was still easy to fall into it, because of the aforementioned clique-less structure we had going. Everybody knew someone who did drugs or had family involved in them, it was simply impossible not to. The earlier they started using drugs, the less likely they were to eventually graduate.

As for how this affected me... I often have a hard time relating to the rest of America. I'm frustrated by the fact that our media and basically our whole culture is specifically tailor-made to cater to a mythic, suburban white middle class which I not only don't belong to but have less and less desire to belong to. It's also frustrating when white people just naturally assume I'm part of that group because I look like they do when in reality our backgrounds are pretty drastically different; a lot of these people come across to me as naive and self-important, like they've spent their lives wrapped in cotton and that automatically makes them right about everything.

EDIT: I should probably add here that my own family did relatively well, economically speaking; I myself was not in any way deprived. But almost everyone I knew and grew up with was, so were other people in my extended family, and that has greatly affected my outlook.

Now I'm in grad school and having doubts about it; is it really worth it to spend ten years of my life pouring money into a hole so I can live somewhere I'll probably hate and feel no connection to, so I can live in the burbs with a bunch of people that feel like foreigners to me?

As far as my attitude toward minorities/black people goes - this is very frustrating to me. It seems to me that a lot of the problems facing my own community back home are like those facing black communities - the persistent problems with educational deprivation, crushing generational poverty, a government that seems wholly uninterested in elevating the poor unless they're economically threatening the wealthy, drug problems, being stigmatized by majority culture, being told we need to conform or we're the "wrong" kind of people, lack of opportunities, lack of damn near everything. The biggest difference is that (usually) our prison sentences are a little more lenient the first couple of go-rounds and violent crime is not as frequent. I wish that, somehow, minorities and communities like mine could work together, because as far as I'm concerned, what's good for black people is good for me. I'm sick of living in a country where the poor are trod upon, and poverty will not discriminate on a skin-color basis.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Duffel wrote: »
    I grew up in an almost entirely white region and my school reflected that (1 mixed-race/half black dude, 1 mexican exchange student, a few local hispanic girls, apparently the daughters of recent immigrants - in the four years that I was in HS). It's also one of the poorest parts of the United States (if you look up the 100 poorest counties in the US, we were on there, and not too far from the top either). It was extremely rural and relatively isolated - well over an hour to get to an interstate, or even a movie theater. Our graduating class was quite small (less than 100 students).

For the most part, we didn't have cliques, bullying or any of that stuff. Violent crime in general was really uncommon among the adult community as well. Drugs were an entirely different story; they're an endemic, enduring and pervasive problem and the road to drug use generally starts in middle or high school. The reason the problem is so bad is that it's primarily socio-economic in its origins. Drugs offer people both an escape from the real world and a source of money. Many of the people I went to school with had parents who were in jail for drugs, or had been, or should have been. They grew up watching their parents grow weed or snort pills, and it's probably naive to expect them not to do the same. And, for the students who came from better homes, it was still easy to fall into it, because of the aforementioned clique-less structure we had going. Everybody knew someone who did drugs or had family involved in them, it was simply impossible not to. The earlier they started using drugs, the less likely they were to eventually graduate.

As for how this affected me... I often have a hard time relating to the rest of America. I'm frustrated by the fact that our media and basically our whole culture is specifically tailor-made to cater to a mythic, suburban white middle class which I not only don't belong to but have less and less desire to belong to. It's also frustrating when white people just naturally assume I'm part of that group because I look like they do when in reality our backgrounds are pretty drastically different; a lot of these people come across to me as naive and self-important, like they've spent their lives wrapped in cotton and that automatically makes them right about everything.

EDIT: I should probably add here that my own family did relatively well, economically speaking; I myself was not in any way deprived. But almost everyone I knew and grew up with was, so were other people in my extended family, and that has greatly affected my outlook.

Now I'm in grad school and having doubts about it; is it really worth it to spend ten years of my life pouring money into a hole so I can live somewhere I'll probably hate and feel no connection to, so I can live in the burbs with a bunch of people that feel like foreigners to me?

As far as my attitude toward minorities/black people goes - this is very frustrating to me. It seems to me that a lot of the problems facing my own community back home are like those facing black communities - the persistent problems with educational deprivation, crushing generational poverty, a government that seems wholly uninterested in elevating the poor unless they're economically threatening the wealthy, drug problems, being stigmatized by majority culture, being told we need to conform or we're the "wrong" kind of people, lack of opportunities, lack of damn near everything. The biggest difference is that (usually) our prison sentences are a little more lenient the first couple of go-rounds and violent crime is not as frequent. I wish that, somehow, minorities and communities like mine could work together, because as far as I'm concerned, what's good for black people is good for me. I'm sick of living in a country where the poor are trod upon, and poverty will not discriminate on a skin-color basis.

I'm not sure anyone lives in media suburbs. The town I grew up in has a closer resemblance to suburbs in Edwardian English fiction than modern American media.

anonymity on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    I'm not sure where I fit.

Whites and blacks were the minority at my high school.

everyone at my school is asian or white or hapa

i am going to end up a huge racist i bet

edit: oh hey you went to school in hawaii too let's feel superior to everyone else

:lol: Woo, Hawaii. Sub-par education at it's finest!

well, most of the public schools, anyway

Yeah. I went to ASSETS from 1st to 5th grade, it wasn't until 6th that I started in on public.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    Same here too, heh. I stopped handing in the weekly assignments and the teacher stopped bothering to ask me for them - as long I kept getting As in the tests. Albeit that I'm not a girl...

Only topology. Fuck topology.

Though with the higher stakes tests when you make genius errors like 3 + 3 = 9 your grade suffers a bit.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure anyone lives in media suburbs. The town I grew up in has a closer resemblance to suburbs in Edwardian English fiction than modern American media.
    I know that for the most part nobody does live that way in real life. It's all an advertising construct cooked up by a bunch of suits to get your money.

There is a social class, however, that gets close to it, and tries to put up that pretense, and most importantly, views itself that way - middle-class whites, their distinguishing factor being that they actually have some money to get.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

edit: oh hey you went to school in hawaii too let's feel superior to everyone else

Yeah. I went to ASSETS from 1st to 5th grade, it wasn't until 6th that I started in on public.

i went to mililani mauka elementary 1-5
    midpac i am now a senior

maybe i am sheltered maybe. also my friend's mom teaches at assets, holla

edit: where i live is kind of the white middle class suburb ideal. man is it expensive

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm Australian but when I was 11 me and my sister went to Lewis Wirth Middle School in chicago back in '99 (apparently it's since been renamed Miriam Canter). Me and my sis were the only two white kids there with a handful of hispanic kids and the rest black. The students there were pretty awesome, the teachers were pretty good if a little regimented with the curriculum but holy shit was the school admin anal. No walking around corridors except in single file class groups, no playground, one shitty gym lesson a week, metal detectors at the entrance and cops patrolling the block with loudspeakers advising students "DO NOT LOITER, GO HOME NOW" at the end of the day. Coming from the Australian school system it was bizarre, just the lack of trust that the faculty had in students, It was really demoralising.
    I can't really compare with other American schools though because that was the only one I went to. This was right after Columbine as well which I'm sure made a difference.

As someone from the Boston suburbs, I can say that your experiences are more a function of turn-of-the-century fear of urban violence and both Columbine and your school being out west.

Please. Chicago is not "out west". Nothing east of the Mississippi River can ever be considered "out west".

Also, that sounds like a terrible school.

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ronya wrote: »

Only topology. Fuck topology.

Though with the higher stakes tests when you make genius errors like 3 + 3 = 9 your grade suffers a bit.

Apropos:

phd081310s.gif

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

i went to mililani mauka elementary 1-5
    midpac i am now a senior

maybe i am sheltered maybe. also my friend's mom teaches at assets, holla

edit: where i live is kind of the white middle class suburb ideal. man is it expensive

Nice! My family friends' kids when to Mililani Mauka. The son went to Midpac for a while and the daughter went to Maryknoll.

You're still in Mililani then?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah
    it's a commute

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Please. Chicago is not "out west". Nothing east of the Mississippi River can ever be considered "out west".

Anything west of Philly is Out West

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This Scribe guy is from 4chan.

He posted a long 40k fanfic that ended with the revelation that the emperor of mankind was Hitler.

Please ban him.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

He posted a long 40k fanfic that ended with the revelation that the emperor of mankind was Hitler.

Please ban him.

That wouldn't be much of a revelation. He was already pretty much every important historical figure.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Now I want to read that fanfic.

e: @Couscous ha! nice.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Anything west of Philly is Out West

this guy gets it

if it's more than a few hundred miles from the atlantic, it's pretty much the frontier

Organichu on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Please ban him.

I really didn't expect that particular twist

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Please ban him.

The scribe is a writer?!?!

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

As some one who grew up as a white suburbanite, I am trying very hard to wrap my head around this concept. When I was young, it made me angry. Why wouldn't one want to move somewhere more prosperous? Now, I understand somewhat that the white privilege on display can be grating. I do still find it curious that you describe grad school as money poured down a hole. My middle class family is slowly sliding downhill and I'd give so much to have your opportunity.

I guess what I'm saying is, if Poor White America was your Problem A, and you are looking forward to Problem B, Middle Class White America, try to find C, don't yearn for A. Learning is never a mistake.

Atlas in Chains on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »

Please ban him.

I think the real crux would be was the Emperor revealed as Hitler and that was a good thing, or was the Emperor revealed as Hitler and that was a bad thing?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Please ban him.

I think the real crux would be was the Emperor revealed as Hitler and that was a good thing, or was the Emperor revealed as Hitler and that was a bad thing?

I thought Kalkino was referring to "please ban him" as the twist he didn't expect.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Drez wrote: »

Please ban him.

I thought Kalkino was referring to "please ban him" as the twist he didn't expect.

I was referring to one of Hitler possibilities.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Of all the people the Emprah could be, Hitler doesn't make the least sense.

Where did you find this out Erich?

Isidore on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

As some one who grew up as a white suburbanite, I am trying very hard to wrap my head around this concept. When I was young, it made me angry. Why wouldn't one want to move somewhere more prosperous? Now, I understand somewhat that the white privilege on display can be grating. I do still find it curious that you describe grad school as money poured down a hole. My middle class family is slowly sliding downhill and I'd give so much to have your opportunity.

Dude, anybody can go into horrendous debt to go to grad school. Literally anybody. America has definitely gotten itself on the footing of sticking you with 30+ grand in debt to go to some school that may or may not give you an actual advantage 10 years from now. Institutions are thrilled to take your cash.

So skipping that MBA because you figure you're not all that interested in gambling on the job market vs. how much you'll drop for the degree itself is pretty relevant. You might want a whole different career at 45, considering that you'll be working for another 50 years at that point (or something), and maybe not being in debt while over-mortgaged ends up being an advantage.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Isidore wrote: »

I was there when he posted it.

It was the most awful thing ever and goddamnit were we trolled so hard.

EDIT:It has just occurred to me that The Scribe may not have wrote that fic because he was racist, but because trolling is what people do on 4chan.

I am a dumbass.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Isidore wrote: »

I was there when he posted it.

It was the most awful thing ever...

Now I really want to read it. Was it an erotic Warhammer fan-fiction? That would be deliciously awful.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chicago, in American geographical terms, is part of the Upper Midwest. So "out west" is an acceptable term to use.

In related news, Virginia is part of "The South," and the Dallas Cowboys play in the NFC East with New York and Philly, while the Texas Rangers play in the AL West with Oakland and Anaheim.

Not only do the Cowboys and Rangers play in the same city, they share a parking lot.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I guess what I'm saying is, if Poor White America was your Problem A, and you are looking forward to Problem B, Middle Class White America, try to find C, don't yearn for A. Learning is never a mistake.

Honestly, that was a little harsher than I probably meant for it to be; I was in a bad mood when I wrote that. I'm very thankful for the opportunities that I've been given, especially in times like these.

But I am truly conflicted at times between the life I thought I wanted for myself - a professor teaching and doing research at a university - and another life that I could have potentially had - going back to my hometown and making a HS teacher, hopefully making a difference to some of the students that are there now, the way some of my own teachers did for me.

I'd make more money and probably have a richer variety of experience doing the former, but the problems that exist in my hometown (and the greater Appalachian region) really do bother me, a lot. I feel like I should be doing something about it, even if it is only some small part like being a high school teacher. And by doing that, I'd get to be closer to my family and friends, which is also important to me - I don't want to be one of those Christmas-and-Thanksgiving people - and I'd probably save myself a lot of time, stress and money in the process. I still haven't decided what to do yet (honestly, I'm not even sure if I've got it in me to make a research professor - which is something else to think about).

So, sorry if I came across as ungrateful when I really have no right to be. I guess I was throwing around a little privilege of my own.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Honestly, that was a little harsher than I probably meant for it to be; I was in a bad mood when I wrote that. I'm very thankful for the opportunities that I've been given, especially in times like these.

But I am truly conflicted at times between the life I thought I wanted for myself - a professor teaching and doing research at a university - and another life that I could have potentially had - going back to my hometown and making a HS teacher, hopefully making a difference to some of the students that are there now, the way some of my own teachers did for me.

I'd make more money and probably have a richer variety of experience doing the former, but the problems that exist in my hometown (and the greater Appalachian region) really do bother me, a lot. I feel like I should be doing something about it, even if it is only some small part like being a high school teacher. And by doing that, I'd get to be closer to my family and friends, which is also important to me - I don't want to be one of those Christmas-and-Thanksgiving people - and I'd probably save myself a lot of time, stress and money in the process. I still haven't decided what to do yet (honestly, I'm not even sure if I've got it in me to make a research professor - which is something else to think about).

So, sorry if I came across as ungrateful when I really have no right to be. I guess I was throwing around a little privilege of my own.

Scientific research and teaching future doctors isn't making a difference?

anonymity on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    there's a particular flavor of gratification that comes with directing your efforts at something that relates to you

like, at any point in my life when i have money and/or time to volunteer, i'm drawn to causes that relate to my life- the israeli-palestinian conflict, planned parenthood, the neighborhoods where i reached adolescence, etc

Organichu on