Options

White liberals and black schools

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I credit going to a public school with a substantial (though not majority) population of black/latino students with destroying any shred of racial prejudice I had in me. Not because there weren't plenty of examples of people who fit into the classic ghetto/thug stereotype, but because interacting with them every day revealed all the human complexity that everyone had. Like the dude who wore is pants low and played the gangsta for his friends, but whose dream it was to take over for his dad as preacher/whatever at their church. He sticks in my mind for some reason; incredibly contradictory self-image.

It also made me incredibly conscious of my own white privilege.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    anonymityanonymity __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    I credit going to a public school with a substantial (though not majority) population of black/latino students with destroying any shred of racial prejudice I had in me. Not because there weren't plenty of examples of people who fit into the classic ghetto/thug stereotype, but because interacting with them every day revealed all the human complexity that everyone had. Like the dude who wore is pants low and played the gangsta for his friends, but whose dream it was to take over for his dad as preacher/whatever at their church. He sticks in my mind for some reason; incredibly contradictory self-image.

It also made me incredibly conscious of my own white privilege.

You mean you've never been to the Church of Gangstah Rollin' Saints?

anonymity on
  • Options
    TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As a sort of indirect answer to the OP's silly and insulting query, I think any notion that racism springs from excessive exposure to members of a minority group is so obviously backward it's laughable.

For the people in thread who are approaching this thoughtfully, my personal experience brings some good news. The school I teach at is majority-minority, about 51% Latino with an African American population at around 18%. My observation is that if racism springs from anywhere, it is far more likely to be admins and teachers than students. While our young people are capable of most kinds of stupidity and many kinds of discrimination, I've noticed racism to be noticeably and thankfully absent. (Also largely absent is discrimination against homosexuality, which I find both fascinating and heartening.)

In any case, students today seem highly attuned to race, and very quick to recognize racism. I think we're undergoing a cultural and generational shift when it comes to that stuff. Not everything about this is good. For example, accusations of racism can occasionally be used as a crutch for personal underachievement. But it is mostly good. And based on what I hear from other teachers and what I see it does seem to be happening.

Teucrian on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    As a kid, most of the racist people I met in school were in fact in the administration. Our black principal HATED white kids, and especially hated you if you were on welfare.

Kids didn't give a shit about each other's race from what I remember.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was one of 10 black people in my mostly white high school. Am I a special snowflake?

Nothing was really odd or changed my political outlook on life. The only time white people or any non-black people got on my nerves was when I was trying to grow an afro. The numerous requests to touch my hair nearly drove me crazy.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it's like a sheep!

Raneados on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I went to a fairly affluent, mostly white school in lower Delaware (for most of my schooling, elementary doesn't count since it was in a hoity toity kinda school in Philadelphia).

I'd say my school was about even mix white and black, with a few asians scattered in and around. The really interesting divides were amongst the black kids though. Around about my freshman year (94-95) was when a whole bunch of Haitian and Dominican immigrants came into the area, so you had your black kids, and then your Haitians.

Were there problems? Of course, we were bundles of hormones all jammed in together. But I got a rock awesome education, had some amazing teachers and friends. My best girl friends in school were a mulatto and black.

Where the prejudice came in was on my side, seeing as I was the only Jewish girl in the whole school for most of my high school years. I got harassed, picked on, and called names (the choice ones being 'kyke', of course, and 'anne frank wannabe' didn't get that one...).

Has any of that changed me?

Nah, I'm just as crazy liberal and accepting as I was. Of course, going to college in Camden, NJ and being THE minority on campus probably helped with the accepting....

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    I was one of 10 black people in my mostly white high school. Am I a special snowflake?

Nothing was really odd or changed my political outlook on life. The only time white people or any non-black people got on my nerves was when I was trying to grow an afro. The numerous requests to touch my hair nearly drove me crazy.

We had one black guy who was only there for the last two years. He got the hair thing constantly for some reason, I still don't really get why. Doesn't feel too weird.

L|ama on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The degree to which noticeably african-textured hair is stigmatized (especially for women) even today is really creepy.

Duffel on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Duffel wrote: »
    The degree to which noticeably african-textured hair is stigmatized (especially for women) even today is really creepy.

Well, it really is kinda hard to undo 400+ years of constant denigration. Fortunately natural hair styles have been gaining in popularity among black people over the last 40 years.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »

Well, it really is kinda hard to undo 400+ years of constant denigration. Fortunately natural hair styles have been gaining in popularity among black people over the last 40 years.

My sister has been called "Brave" for not straightening her hair. As though going around all curly is like a handicap. It's not even particularly african-textured, she's white. It's just you know, very curly. But apparently that prejudice has turned into a general knowledge that curls are a sign your vagina has teeth or something.

It is the dumbest thing.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »

My sister has been called "Brave" for not straightening her hair. As though going around all curly is like a handicap. It's not even particularly african-textured, she's white. It's just you know, very curly. But apparently that prejudice has turned into a general knowledge that curls are a sign your vagina has teeth or something.

It is the dumbest thing.

It doesn't help that big hair has died a slow, painful death and that large afros are, like diso, closely associated with the era of bad taste.

Jews face a similar stigma for "Jew 'fros."

anonymity on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    well yeah but

that shit looks awful

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Man, whatever, I love Jewfros. I had a friend in HS that rocked a Jewfro and it was awesome. Of course, he wasn't Jewish, he was of Scottish descent I think, so he had a big, curly, reddish brown mound of hair on his head.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh god

if liberals like afros, i might start advocating laissez-faire

Organichu on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The thing is, most liberals, at least rich liberals, go out of their way to make sure their kids don't go to schools that have significant numbers of black and hispanic students (and this is also true for well-off black liberals). DC is a pretty good example of this. We're fortunate that we live in a neighborhood where the local elementary school is actually very good. But, we live in Ward 3, which is 84% white and has an average family income more than double the DC average. If we lived in an area with poorer demographics, we'd either be looking at private schools or planning a move to Maryland or Virginia before our son reached school age. DC schools are very heavily segregated by race.

It's not really a question of race, it's a question of poverty. But, poorer areas tend to have a higher percentage of minorities, especially in urban areas. The schools in such poor areas tend to suffer from the social pathologies that exist in the neighborhoods around them. Anyone who can will make sure their kids don't have to go to such schools.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    The thing is, most liberals, at least rich liberals, go out of their way to make sure their kids don't go to schools that have significant numbers of black and hispanic students (and this is also true for well-off black liberals). DC is a pretty good example of this. We're fortunate that we live in a neighborhood where the local elementary school is actually very good. But, we live in Ward 3, which is 84% white and has an average family income more than double the DC average. If we lived in an area with poorer demographics, we'd either be looking at private schools or planning a move to Maryland or Virginia before our son reached school age. DC schools are very heavily segregated by race.

It's not really a question of race, it's a question of poverty. But, poorer areas tend to have a higher percentage of minorities, especially in urban areas. The schools in such poor areas tend to suffer from the social pathologies that exist in the neighborhoods around them. Anyone who can will make sure their kids don't have to go to such schools.

On the other hand, who wants to sent his kids to the kind of white schools where they still want to teach creationism and music classes are taught on the banjo?

anonymity on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Okay, I get that poorer urban areas may have schools with a lower quality education, and that poorer urban areas tend to have more minorities, but how does that have anything to do with
    The thing is, most liberals, at least rich liberals

Why not just say
    The thing is, most rich people

?!

It seems like you're making it a political issue when it's kind of just a demographics and/or income issue. Actually, you're making it a political issue, then never referring to it again, and then calling it a demographics and/or income issue.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    oh god

if liberals like afros, i might start advocating laissez-faire

Afros are awesome, especially afropuffs. I'll not hear otherwise.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Okay, I get that poorer urban areas may have schools with a lower quality education, and that poorer urban areas tend to have more minorities, but how does that have anything to do with
    The thing is, most liberals, at least rich liberals

Why not just say
    The thing is, most rich people

?!

It seems like you're making it a political issue when it's kind of just a demographics and/or income issue. Actually, you're making it a political issue, then never referring to it again, and then calling it a demographics and/or income issue.
    When you talk about urban areas, where most predominantly-minority schools are, you're talking about very liberal population, at least politically. Yeah, there are a few conservatives in places like DC, but this is an overwhelmingly liberal/Democratic area.

Conservatives, on the other hand, tend to live in more suburban and rural areas, which don't have as many minorities to begin with, and certainly very few predominantly minority schools. So, it's not like people in those areas need to do anything special to make sure their kids don't end up in such a school.

But I agree with you that it's not really a political issue. Rich liberals and rich conservatives have a lot more in common with each other than they do with poor people, whether liberal or conservative.
    anonymity wrote: »
    On the other hand, who wants to sent his kids to the kind of white schools where they still want to teach creationism and music classes are taught on the banjo?
    Rural schools have their own issues, sure. But, what's wrong with teaching kids the banjo?

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The thing is, most liberals, at least rich liberals, go out of their way to make sure their kids don't go to schools that have significant numbers of black and hispanic students (and this is also true for well-off black liberals).

I think what you mean is that rich liberals send their kids to private schools, which, due to minorities being disadvantaged, tend to mostly have white kids, since white kids are more likely to have rich parents, due to the difference in advantage.

The results may be the same, but you're making it sound like they would send their kids to shitty public schools if only they weren't full of minorities.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The thing is, most liberals, at least rich liberals, go out of their way to make sure their kids don't go to schools that have significant numbers of black and hispanic students (and this is also true for well-off black liberals).

I think what you mean is that rich liberals send their kids to private schools, which, due to minorities being disadvantaged, tend to mostly have white kids, since white kids are more likely to have rich parents, due to the difference in advantage.

The results may be the same, but you're making it sound like they would send their kids to shitty public schools if only they weren't full of minorities.
    Sadly, "full of minorities" tends to correlate highly with "shitty schools." And even in places like DC, where the schools in Anacostia get the same money, per student, as the schools out here in Ward 3, you can pretty accurately predict which schools will be better based only on racial makeup.

But, like you said, it's an issue of poverty, not race. On day one of their school career, a student walking into the public school in my neighborhood has a ton of things going for him that his counterpart over in Anacostia does not.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well it's partially the fault of the teachers. A lot of the low income crappy schools have crappy teachers because they can't afford to attract good teachers. Thus they spiral into terribleness. And coincidentally, are full of minorities.

No blame, but it's a factor, certainly.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Well it's partially the fault of the teachers. A lot of the low income crappy schools have crappy teachers because they can't afford to attract good teachers. Thus they spiral into terribleness. And coincidentally, are full of minorities.

Or, as happens here in DC, the good teachers get recruited to schools in neighborhoods like mine while the dregs work over in Anacostia. Both jobs might pay the same, but working in a safe environment with students and parents who value education is a no-brainer.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Alot of those lower income schools also have amazing teachers that are really out to make a difference. I know; I'm a product of that.

The only time I went to a shitty school? When I was in a magnet program in middle school that plopped me into a classes that were 95% white in a school that outside of the magnet program was atleast 80% black.

Now THAT caused all kinds of issues. Specifically because when you walked out of the magnet classrooms and into the regular ones, it looked like you time-warped about 30 years.

Also, the magnet teachers were jerks.

I'll take teachers that give a damn with a few burnouts here and there over that, any day.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm white and I know a black guy. Therefore, I am co-pathetic to the struggle against the Man.

Rise up, brothers. Rise up.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010

Or, as happens here in DC, the good teachers get recruited to schools in neighborhoods like mine while the dregs work over in Anacostia. Both jobs might pay the same, but working in a safe environment with students and parents who value education is a no-brainer.

I went to public schools in the DC area, it's a mess.

The first one was in Potomac MD, very rich, very white. Fights, gang violence, sexual assault, all a non issue. Yeah we had stoners and some hippies that were into drugs, but by in large, issue free. On the other hand people were constantly freaking out about what school they were going to get into and generally massive douche bags about academic issues.

The second one was in DC, and majority black. It was a mess. Issues with violence and crime were constant. After school the kids prowled the city instead of going home and youth gang violence was common. Fights often broke down around race. Since the school was majority black, well, if you weren't black you could expect to get piled on rather quickly.

Third school was in Bethesda MD, and was middle class, a fair mix of people. It was a pretty normal high school experience, and nothing ever stood out about it.

Could I draw conclusions about race, yeah probably. However the real issue is income levels and the culture of the various places. DC schools are a mess and various areas of DC are complete cluster fucks. This results in all sorts of youth issues from the neighborhoods and homes getting dragged into the school, and then spilling out into the after school activities. By contrast Potomac is a very stable suburban area and nobody came into school with any baggage other than "my mom will freak if I don't break 1300 on my SAT" and kids normally went back home from school into a stable atmosphere.

I don't think you can really fix inner city schools without fixing the areas those students come from. When gang issues and violence is a core part of life outside of school it's only natural that crap gets brought into the school as well. No amount of money or school funding is going to fix this, but nobody wants to talk about it.

If you care about your kids and their education, you move the fuck out to suburbia where they won't be exposed to that sort of behavior or farm them off to private school.

nstf on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sort of tangential to the conversation, but something I noticed when I was a kid was there was a HUUUUUUGE difference in the way history was taught (re: race issues in North America) depending on which end of the underground railroad you were on.

When I was going to school in Ontario there was an undercurrent of "Yay us, we contributed a little to the bad stuff, but on the whole we were the good guys" in the way history was taught.

When I was going to school in Texas there was an undercurrent of "Er, yeah. We were kind of the bad guys."

And I kind of think that the way it was presented kind of added to the tension in school. On the one hand, nobody likes being the bad guy, so that put a lot of the white kids on the defensive. On the other hand nobody likes realizing that history/society is/was trying to fuck you over based on your race, so that pretty much pissed a lot of the black kids off. Or at least that is the way I saw it playing out.

Thing is nobody who was here for their whole public education agrees with me on this point. It is pretty odd. Either I was being overly sensitive and projecting my own insecurities on everyone else all through high school, or I dunno, growing up in it you don't see it? Whatever happened, there was a lot of racial tension and division by the end of high school that I don't remember being there when we started.

Demographics in my school were pretty evenly split black/white, some Hispanic and a very little Asian.

After I graduated it shifted to be majority black. Enough so that when my youngest sister won her homecoming queen thing there was some kind of parent/student protest type thing because she "wasn't representative of the student body" or some-such. Was a pretty big WTF moment for me for a few reasons, mostly because I couldn't imagine people actually caring enough to protest that sort of thing.

(to answer the original question: When I went to school it was about 50/50, by the time my sister got there it was about 80/20 maybe... I don't think the demographics of high school had much of an effect on our political outlooks.)

Galahad on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am pro-curly haired jewish girls.

Hoz on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I started out in a school that was about ~65% black, ~20% hispanic (I am white) and in third grade my parents white flighted me and my sister to a school that was ~95% white. It freaked me out. I wanted to know where all the black people went. I felt betrayed.

GungHo on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    I am pro-curly haired jewish girls.

I am pro any-haired Jewish girls.

But hair is definitely requisite. Except on arms and legs.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So back hair is cool?

Spread the word everybody!

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    So back hair is cool?

Spread the word everybody!

Ew.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh my god why would you seek any jewish girl

what have you done to yourself to make you hate yourself this much

Organichu on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    I started out in a school that was about ~65% black, ~20% hispanic (I am white) and in third grade my parents white flighted me and my sister to a school that was ~95% white. It freaked me out. I wanted to know where all the black people went. I felt betrayed.

95% white public school? ... the Woodlands?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    GungHo wrote: »

95% white public school? ... the Woodlands?

Could be numbers like that in certain parts of Spring Branch too. Not anywhere in HISD that I know of but it's possible I guess. HISD is an awfully big place.

Anyway, almost all of the racial issues people are identifying seem pretty obviously socioeconomic to me. While one issue can be leveraged into the other, I think it's clear that income level is the real driving factor. And that our school system does a lousy job of educating the poor. That problem is more curricular and pedagogical than having anything to do with bad teachers or insufficient funding.

Teucrian on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

If the school doesn't have money to pay the best teachers, then it's not the fault of the teachers at all, but the fault of whatever made the school have no money.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys is the old saying.

I see managers making the same mistake where I work. We reduce salaries, over time the quality of our employees drops, and then the management complain about them and blame everything on them.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    poshniallo wrote: »

If the school doesn't have money to pay the best teachers, then it's not the fault of the teachers at all, but the fault of whatever made the school have no money.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys is the old saying.

I see managers making the same mistake where I work. We reduce salaries, over time the quality of our employees drops, and then the management complain about them and blame everything on them.

Or when we actually try to pay good teachers bonuses, the unions deep six the bonus pay, so we lose the good teachers into the private sector

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    oh my god why would you seek any jewish girl

what have you done to yourself to make you hate yourself this much

I have to agree with this. Been there, never want to do that ever again.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    ShyftedShyfted Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    it's like a sheep!

Here I am reading people's life stories (the better posts ignoring the OP) and this pops up.

I laughed so hard it startled the dog.

edit: Oh ffs. Not TOTP. I'll find something interesting to put here.

Until I get real content; My little sisters liked to rub my head back when I shaved it. Now after having hair again for over 2 years the older one tells me that I shouldn't shave my head because it scares her... and she tells other people that I'm scary with no hair. Hypocrite.

Fuck it. Accidentally closed my browser after writing 4 paragraphs of stuff.

Summarization:
    I disagree with the guy who says teachers who don't get paid enough don't care. That's bullshit. Some people shouldn't be teaching in the first place and may see it as their only option now that they can't find a job with their degree, but those are typically the ones that want more money than the average american makes along with a string of other benefits most people aren't privy to. At my school the teachers got paid less than the public school teachers less than .2 miles away yet they had more heart than expected by anyone. There are teachers who actually want to teach and are willing to take a dip in socioeconomic stature to do so. But they do so because they know the parents who send their kids to these schools want them to do well. If there's no backing from the parents then fuck it.

Although I went to mostly white schools, and when I think back, my class was usually the most diverse of all of them I've turned out very liberal. If anything has made me more prejudice it's been my job. And that's more classist than racist. I travel through some of the shittiest areas of Philadelphia and take inventory at grocery stores in the heart of the places you don't want to be. I'm amazed at how people won't stand up and take care of their own communities even if it's as simple as picking up the trash. I get there are generational conversations that exist, but I don't get why people interact with other human beings in such a vulgar and aggressive manner. I've also grown to despise the rich because it's infuriating how they can ignore the problems of those around them while they wall themselves in and build mini-mansions everywhere so that only they can afford to live outside of Philadelphia. I guess it's not so much classism, as it is just me losing faith in people in general.

Shyfted on