As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tears of a [chat]ter

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    Ugh. I don't enter the actual debate threads on this forum very often. Mostly, I come here for the [chat] thread and on-topic threads about my favorite TV shows and movies.

Part of the reason why is because when I try to be brief in my argument and make a quick, clear point, I end up getting into arguments where I'm not actually arguing with a counter-point someone else is making, I'm having to repeat and clarify and expand upon the shit I've already said.

So sometimes I try, instead, to be comprehensive and complete and clear. People criticize me for my writing style, the free use of line breaks and lack of punctuation and shit. Some people say that's part of what gives my post a hostile or "talking down" air. So, sometimes I try to change that.

I write a complete, comprehensive post on a subject where I explain my thoughts in detail, and nobody responds to it. Nobody even TL;DR's that shit, they just move past it and don't even acknowledge I said a good god damn thing. Moreover, they continue on discussing issues I just addressed as if I had actually said nothing at all.

Frustrating. Is it any wonder I shit on this forum's purpose as a place for debate?

If your post is longer than a medium sized paragraph, you need to consider posting only one thought or idea at a time.

I very much doubt that any of the wall of text posts that get ignored really contain just one, or even a few ideas. They usually contain all of a person's ideas on the subject, or in some cases an entire dissertation.

I generally won't read anything that long because there's such a huge chance that it's garbage anyway. The signal to noise ratio on this (and every other internet forum) is pretty fucking bad.

I wouldn't have a conversation with a person who expected me to listen to them talk for 5-10 minutes before I got a word in myself, so I don't understand why I should read the same amount from a person before I respond.

These threads are conversational, you aren't supposed to be giving a lecture and you should keep in mind that your audience isn't wanting to receive one.

Yet if I try to make a single paragraph point, without an explanation of exactly what I mean, I get to have ten pages of just going "ugh, that's not what I am saying, quit twisting my words around"

It's disheartening to even try to attempt any of the "issues" threads because my choice appears to be either:

A) Write something brief enough people will read it but not understand it.
    B) Write something long enough that people would understand but won't bother to read it.

So, I dunno!

It's why I generally stay out, and listen to MikeMan complain about me complaining.

Pony on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Ugh. I don't enter the actual debate threads on this forum very often. Mostly, I come here for the [chat] thread and on-topic threads about my favorite TV shows and movies.

Part of the reason why is because when I try to be brief in my argument and make a quick, clear point, I end up getting into arguments where I'm not actually arguing with a counter-point someone else is making, I'm having to repeat and clarify and expand upon the shit I've already said.

So sometimes I try, instead, to be comprehensive and complete and clear. People criticize me for my writing style, the free use of line breaks and lack of punctuation and shit. Some people say that's part of what gives my post a hostile or "talking down" air. So, sometimes I try to change that.

I write a complete, comprehensive post on a subject where I explain my thoughts in detail, and nobody responds to it. Nobody even TL;DR's that shit, they just move past it and don't even acknowledge I said a good god damn thing. Moreover, they continue on discussing issues I just addressed as if I had actually said nothing at all.

Frustrating. Is it any wonder I shit on this forum's purpose as a place for debate?
    Do you do anything other than meta-comment on how bad D&D is while continuing to post here? Because I'm starting to doubt it.

Do you do anything besides stroke your luxurious dong with a leather glove lined with fur while squatting over a bowl of Jergens moisturizer and dipping your balls in it? I'm starting to doubt it.
    I also eat! And poop sometimes.

MikeMan on
    edited August 2010
    Drez wrote: »

Sorry, I read most of your post on PTSD and I liked it. I didn't know what to say really. I didn't want to quote it, because it was huge, but I didn't want to snip it.

Honestly, I take it as a triumph sometimes if someone doesn't respond to a post like that. It means that you were right and they have nothing to say in response.

So...sorry for the lack of support there. It was a good post and I agreed with it fully.

Do you do anything other than meta-comment on how bad D&D is while continuing to post here? Because I'm starting to doubt it.

While I do occasionally see that from Pony, I think his gripe is legitimate this time.

alright that's cool

but in the future don't be afraid to just be like "Oh hey Pony that is a good point" if you don't feel like quoting my big-ass post, or put the quote in a spoiler tag, or something.

I don't mind being argued with, and I don't mind people agreeing either. But when I put more than a half-cup of giving a shit into a point it's frustrating to have it completely ignored like it didn't happen.

anyway thanks for acknowledging it here at least.

Pony on
    edited August 2010

If your post is longer than a medium sized paragraph, you need to consider posting only one thought or idea at a time.

I very much doubt that any of the wall of text posts that get ignored really contain just one, or even a few ideas. They usually contain all of a person's ideas on the subject, or in some cases an entire dissertation.

I generally won't read anything that long because there's such a huge chance that it's garbage anyway. The signal to noise ratio on this (and every other internet forum) is pretty fucking bad.

I wouldn't have a conversation with a person who expected me to listen to them talk for 5-10 minutes before I got a word in myself, so I don't understand why I should read the same amount from a person before I respond.

These threads are conversational, you aren't supposed to be giving a lecture and you should keep in mind that your audience isn't wanting to receive one.

Yet if I try to make a single paragraph point, without an explanation of exactly what I mean, I get to have ten pages of just going "ugh, that's not what I am saying, quit twisting my words around"

It's disheartening to even try to attempt any of the "issues" threads because my choice appears to be either:

B) Write something long enough that people would understand but won't bother to read it.

So, I dunno!

It's why I generally stay out, and listen to MikeMan complain about me complaining.
    Honestly with how much you carry on it's a wonder you're still here. Like, it's a huge mystery to me.

MikeMan on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

So, I dunno!

Then your work is cut out for you: Practice refining your arguments into shorter more coherent paragraphs.

Other people do this. It is not an impossible thing.

Regina Fong on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Do you do anything besides stroke your luxurious dong with a leather glove lined with fur while squatting over a bowl of Jergens moisturizer and dipping your balls in it? I'm starting to doubt it.

actually that's pretty much all we did when we hung out in CH but hey don't knock it til you try it

Casual Eddy on
    edited August 2010
    Honestly with how much you carry on it's a wonder you're still here. Like, it's a huge mystery to me.

if i said part of it was my lust for you

how would that make you feel

(also you are pretty off-base with this entire thing but whatevs)

Pony on
    edited August 2010
    Bioware premium content takes way too fucking long to download. And half the time the download fails at the end and I have to restart.

Regina Fong on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

if i said part of it was my lust for you

how would that make you feel

(also you are pretty off-base with this entire thing but whatevs)

woah now

hey now

let me get my camera

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited August 2010
    Someone photoshop a my little pony into the MikeMan picture immediately.

Regina Fong on
    edited August 2010
    Then your work is cut out for you: Practice refining your arguments into shorter more coherent paragraphs.

this was helpful advice in exactly the way that it says basically nothing at all except "it's your problem lol"

thanks, jeepguy

Pony on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    500x_farmvillefront.jpg

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited August 2010
    also it's pretty amazing how vigorously everyone on every side is arguing with Drez

the curse of taking the rational and nuanced view, i guess

Pony on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2010
    i need some serious help with finding a small desk that doesn't suck... my needs are pretty specific too... might have to pay someone to make it for me.

Basically, I need something no more than 32" wide, 15" deep, and anywhere from 29-31.5" tall. It needs a pull out shelf for a small keyboard and trackpad, enough room to slide a tiny workstation chair under it (or one of those crazy kneeling chairs), and it needs to be either white, silver or gray.

This has proven to be crazy hard to find.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited August 2010
    Drez wrote: »

Bzzt, that's my job. On a magic carpet.

I almost forgot, Cass. Mike asked me to ask you to butcher A Whole New World for him. Last night he mentioned something about wanting his image of the song tarnished via terrible parody. Can you help us out?

I don't know what this means but I am open to collaboration.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Stupid Miles van der Rohe, why must your chair be $5000...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited August 2010
    conversation on my friend's facebook wall

he posts a link to an article about Obama's endorsement of the right of the city to allow a mosque to be built near the site of the world trade center, with some text hinting that he didn't agree with that

ensuing conversation:
    Jared Sometimes political correctness needs to have boundaries. I don't see why they need to build a Mosque in that area exactly. Plus, it's more likely than not going to be a catalyst for major outrage in NYC. I don't see a positive outcome here.
    13 minutes ago ·

Michael But... why shouldn't they build a mosque? It's a religious building. It has as much a right to that space as any other building.
    9 minutes ago ·

Jared Update: Obama says that he was not commenting on the 'wisdom' of the site's build, but rather the 'right.' I can get behind that.
    9 minutes ago ·

Michael I think NYC allowing a mosque in that space sends a positive message that A) Religious freedom extends both ways, and B) Islam is not a religion of violence.
    6 minutes ago ·

Jared Okay... But then I should have the right to open up an 'I hate <N-words>' gathering hall in Birmingham. Though I do have that right, it's foolish and offensive. If we ever get to the point where we can accept everyone and suck one another's dicks, then we can talk about having rights for offensive things.
    5 minutes ago ·

Michael You have failed to show how those two examples are equivalent. One is a religious building, and one is an example of hate speech. Not even remotely the same thing.
    4 minutes ago ·

Jared Well, then there we disagree.
    4 minutes ago ·

Michaele That's becoming quite evident.
    2 minutes ago ·

Jared Not sure why I have to explain this... It's a freedom of expression, which is basically what religion is. A Mosque at ground zero is offensive to many people, whether you agree with their sentiments or not is irrelevant, as would be my gathering hall in Birmingham. The same rights that allow the Mosque to exist are what keep the KKK in working order. That's how those two examples are related.
    5 minutes ago ·

Michael A KKK rally is offensive because it is hate speech. It is offensive to all who respect the equality of the races. A Mosque is offensive to people who falsely equate Islam with violence. It is offensive to people who are xenophobic and bigoted. Just because, for instance, people are offended at Proposition 8's overturning does not mean we have to give their opinions equal light to someone who doesn't have bigoted opinions. The fact that people are getting offended over this is a terribly sad commentary on the relative enlightenment and tolerance of the American people, but it does not mean the city shouldn't have done the right thing anyway. Which they did.
    2 seconds ago ·

MikeMan on
    edited August 2010
    Are we ignoring the fact that it's going to be a very ostentatious mega-mosque?

Like, real subtle.

Regina Fong on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Like, real subtle.
    Yeah, someone on reddit posted the proposal for it.

http://i.imgur.com/TacgJ.jpg

:edit: Possibly NSFW. May contain a golden idol depiction of Osama dong, the picture is kind of small.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    does anyone want to play some SC2?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited August 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    I do but after my late lunch so in an hour or so? What race do you play?

MikeMan on
    edited August 2010
    facebook conversations are actually pretty ace for exposing people's mind-blowing prejudices and ignorance in a way that they would never in spoken conversation

i know the whole "internet fuckwad theory" thing blames anonymity + audience for people's internet shitty behavior, and that's certainly a major part of most of the time

but even when people aren't anonymous, and even when they only have an audience of their facebook friends, the disconnect of text on a monitor puts people in a mood to expose some of their worse qualities and things they would never say or do in front of those same people

Pony on
    edited August 2010

Terran. I am pretty bad, ask Nexus.

I haven't actually played against a human yet.

What is your character id? I'm Gooey.478

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited August 2010

Gavilan.627 (don't ask)

I'm pretty terrible too so yay.

MikeMan on
  • CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I will play with you Gooey!

Corbius.929!

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
    edited August 2010

Gavilan.627 (don't ask)

I'm pretty terrible too so yay.

yesterday i learned that i need more than 11 scvs and that i can hotkey buildings, not just units

also apparently i can set my rally point of my command center to a mineral patch! neato

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited August 2010

Like, real subtle.
    Yeah, someone on reddit posted the proposal for it.

http://i.imgur.com/TacgJ.jpg

:edit: Possibly NSFW. May contain a golden idol depiction of Osama dong, the picture is kind of small.

Uhm, the entire facade of the building is going to be remade. So... no, it will not look anything like the former building once it's completed.

And while I'm not getting into a big stink about it, anyone who believes the site was chosen to encourage tolerance is a blithering goose.

Regina Fong on
    edited August 2010
    can a guy who only joined the forum in order to troll people on one specific topic be banned for it?

because uh

Pony on
    edited August 2010
    can a guy who only joined the forum in order to troll people on one specific topic be banned for it?

because uh
    Well, yeah, that's what the report button is for.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mike does your friend think Islam equals violence because that's the vibe I get. I mean I disagree with people's decision to build the mosque there based on the controversy they knew it would cause but at the same time I'm open to the belief that maybe it is what is needed to show Islam doesn't equal violence.

DeShadowC on
    edited August 2010

because uh

then again, black people shouldn't be eating all that fried chicken

rite?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited August 2010

because uh

i just wonder at the rules for the forum sometimes

i use the report button when i think something should be reported, and i almost never talk about it

but there are times i am reporting things and i have to stop and question whether the thing i am reporting is actually against the rules or just something i think is stupid and should be against the rules

Pony on
    edited August 2010
    oh wait are we talking about the social security thread

i cant tell anymore with you ka-razy libs

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i assumed it would feature a monstrous golden cock pointing towards mecca

Casual Eddy on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

getting offended thread.

DeShadowC on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

because uh

i use the report button when i think something should be reported, and i almost never talk about it

but there are times i am reporting things and i have to stop and question whether the thing i am reporting is actually against the rules or just something i think is stupid and should be against the rules

If in doubt, I err on the side of reporting.

There's a little box for you to explain why you're reporting it. I'm pretty sure that if the mods reckoned you were consistently reporting things not against the rules they'd tell you.

japan on
    edited August 2010

Moar liek socialism security mirite

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited August 2010
    japan wrote: »

because uh

If in doubt, I err on the side of reporting.

There's a little box for you to explain why you're reporting it. I'm pretty sure that if the mods reckoned you were consistently reporting things not against the rules they'd tell you.

yeah, you're right

i mean that's what i err on too, the side of just reporting things

i've never gotten a PM from a mod being like "actually Pony you are being a pud that is not against the rules stop bothering us"

the closest to that i got was getting an infraction for reporting someone who also got an infraction

Pony on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

this was helpful advice in exactly the way that it says basically nothing at all except "it's your problem lol"

thanks, jeepguy

What?

He basically just said "You know what the issue is, so work on it?"

How is that bad advice?

HappylilElf on
This discussion has been closed.