As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scott Pilgrim Thread 2: Now on DVD. TAG ALL BOOK 6 SPOILERS

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My wife loved the movie. She'd already decided we'd buy it after the song started playing in the intro.

Then Scott defeated Patel, picked up the change, and she decided she needed to read the comics very soon.

Quid on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Y'know what I forgot to mention in my first post? The fact that I feel like I did my part for something good. Eight bucks spent on Scott Pilgrim is eight bucks denied to needless Hollywood crap like Eat Pray Love, Step Up 3D and *shudder* Piharana 3D. Seriously, seeing the previews made me remember exactly why I stopped going to movies in the first place.

"Skyline", the cliched-looking alien invasion movie that could pass off as an Independence Day remake at first glance?
    "Easy A", the teen "comedy" about a girl who makes money to help guys fake losing their virginity, then has the gall to compare itself to The Scarlet Letter?
    Generic-Looking-Romantic-Comedy-Starring-Drew-Barrymore-Which-I-Didn't-Even-Bother-Remebering-The-Title-To, about a guy who falls for a girl who has to move away six weeks later and has an awkward long-distance relationship with?

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhh, no thanks.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I certainly wasn't expecting references as obscure as Clash at Demonhead (or the Universal logo at the beginning... I loved that!).

The credits referenced that the pixelated Universal logo was from 1997, implying it was from a video game.. but that was a bit late for chiptunes. Anyone know what it was made for?

I still can't get over the attention to detail put into Young Neil's DS.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Y'know what I forgot to mention in my first post? The fact that I feel like I did my part for something good. Eight bucks spent on Scott Pilgrim is eight bucks denied to needless Hollywood crap like Eat Pray Love, Step Up 3D and *shudder* Piharana 3D. Seriously, seeing the previews made me remember exactly why I stopped going to movies in the first place.

"Skyline", the cliched-looking alien invasion movie that could pass off as an Independence Day remake at first glance?
    "Easy A", the teen "comedy" about a girl who makes money to help guys fake losing their virginity, then has the gall to compare itself to The Scarlet Letter?
    Generic-Looking-Romantic-Comedy-Starring-Drew-Barrymore-Which-I-Didn't-Even-Bother-Remebering-The-Title-To, about a guy who falls for a girl who has to move away six weeks later and has an awkward long-distance relationship with?

Don't forget M. Night's latest POS movie.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I'd only pay money to Step Up 3D to help support Bear McCreary. Man needs to break into large-scale movie work.

Hearing the laughter at Devil at 2 showings within 14 hours of each other was music to my ears.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A quick throwback to the last thread, but when M. Night Shyamalon's name came up on that trailer for the elevator movie, my whole theater laughed as well.

Edit: Or a throwback to the two posts before mine.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I saw this yesternight. For not having read the comics (something that I'm slowly correcting; I ran out and bought all six from my local Barnes & Noble this afternoon), I loved it. I'll never claim to be a student of movie minutiae, but I never felt like there was a slow moment. Then again, I have a taste for the manic-- maybe it really was "too fast", who can say?

Anyhow, even if it performs poorly (I'd predict it to, honestly), it still represents a significant step for the "geek aesthetic". I'm not really sure how to put it clearly, but the whole 8-bit nostalgia, stumbling-through-life, miscellaneous je ne sais quoi collective gets played straight in Scott Pilgrim, and it's not often you see that kind of thing anywhere near the mainstream. It's exciting! Am I making any sense?

EDIT: Shymalyan(?)'s name got a unanimous groan from my local theater as well.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So right after I saw the movie yesterday I went to this bar and told one of the servers (that I am friends with) that she "reminded me exactly of one of the characters in the movie I just saw - Knives."

Afterward, I wondered if that was me being racist.

Then I thought no, she actually does look like Knives.

And now I'm wondering if me wondering if I was being racist in the first place is itself racist.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ...the hell is a 17 year old doing bartending?

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited August 2010

This girl isn't 17 (and she's a server not a bartender anyway) but her face...she looks like Knives. And the actress that played Knives isn't 17, is she?

edit: She's 25:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/08/05/on-the-town-with-ellen-wong/

Drez on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey
    She's 18 now

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Drez wrote: »

This girl isn't 17 (and she's a server not a bartender anyway) but her face...she looks like Knives. And the actress that played Knives isn't 17, is she?

edit: She's 25:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/08/05/on-the-town-with-ellen-wong/

Yes, I know, I was making a joke.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey
    She's 18 now

I was kinda sad to see the
    "casual sex" parts
    left out.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey
    She's 18 now

I was kinda sad to see the
    "casual sex" parts
    left out.
    For what it's worth, i'm pretty sure Drez reenacted it with that bartender.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just saw the movie...
    I do wish they were able to put in some more character development overall, but I find the changed and added material (especially with Fights with Lucas Lee, the Katayagi Twins) made it worth the watch.

The music is also a highlight. Hearing Patel's song was a pleasant change from what I imagined in my head, and I was shocked when Scott really did play the bassline for FF2 (VI) and the recognizable video game FX were a nice touch as well.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So yeah, loved the movie, with the usual notes about it:
    Poor character development due to time, some mixed up fights, and imo the gideon arc was really weakened compared to book 6's version of why said dude is really just a prick, and Scott grasping that he was just like Gideon in a way before he understood why it was bad.

That said, Wallace stole the movie from it's girlfriend and made sweet sweet love to it, and Kim was awesome.

kildy on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I forgot some more of my favorite lines
    Chicken isn't vegan?

DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT TOOK TO GET THE GUILD TOGETHER?! 2 HOURS!

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had seen a preview for this movie and so went with the missus.

I really enjoyed it, and didn't even know a (comic?) book existed until 2 mins ago reading this thread.

If you had ever had your own self esteem issues in relation to girls and their exs (aka she dated a rich movie star/famous rockers etc) you totally got where the movie was coming from.

Anyway, I enjoyed it, so did she, and music was amazing.

EDIT: Also threate was sold out 4 hours before showing. All showings were sold out. Mind you this is Australia, and apparently we don't count towards profits or somthing.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Saw this yesterday, saw it pretty early in the day so the theater wouldn't be crowded, but now I'm wondering if I should see it again just to get the full movie theater experience. Anyway, having never read the comics, I liked it a lot. It never really had a dull moment and I really enjoyed it's style, it managed to capture a sort of retro-homage feeling in a way that made it feel original, if that makes any sense.

I'll probably be seeing this again in the next week. I'm happy to throw Edgar Wright more money, especially if he inspires a new trend in filmaking with this one.

EDIT: Also it helps that I have a massive hard-on for Beck, so that added a lot of enjoyment to the movie as well

Gammarah on
  • Options
    Autobobby1Autobobby1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    ...didn't even know a (comic?) book existed until 2 mins ago reading this thread.

Pretty sure they put "based on the graphic novel by Bryan Lee O'Malley" in the opening credits. Just saying.

Autobobby1 on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i didn't like the opening credits

oh and
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    just got back from my second viewing where i dragged my cousins to see it. one said it was... weird?. one said that.. they..w ere.. entertained? So I lead the witness asking "well it wasn't terrible then, yes?" and they agreed. Oh and before that I asked if they would recommended it to their friends (they're going to some party tonight) and they uh.. just looked away with a well....

Oh well. I still love the movie but that gave me a bit of a reality check as to how good the movie is.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I liked the build-up to the opening credits but yeah they spent way too long having nothing but actor names on a flashing colorful background.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a feeling the movie will be taken as one of those, "Oh yeah.. I saw it.. it was.. pretty good..."

I.E. Shitty box office numbers.

Also what speed racer said.

Verr on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think the only possible conclusion is that people have bad taste.

Clearly!

Jintor on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Athenor wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Just to reiterate my opinion of the movie;
    I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't read the books, frankly. The movie wouldn't make sense otherwise.

The movie had its fair share of jokes unique to it that didn't carry over from the books, like the Seinfeld thing and "I need to pee on her," which was a good treat. The moving around of events and changing who had what line was okay I guess.

The books weren't meant to be constrained to a 2 hour film. A trilogy definitely would've worked out way better. Especially since we would've had some character and character-relationship depth all around. Because seriously there's no depth to Scott and Ramona (his wanting to be with her seems super shallow, yet he's going through all this trouble for her?), or Scott and Kim (his apology at the end, which is something that happens at the end of book 5 and has infinitely more meaning in the books), etc etc etc.

The casting was meh for the most part. The editing / effects is what made the film good to see.

My apologies for not having the most extreme hard-on for the film.

Having just sat through my 1st and a half viewing (see last thread, page 101 or so for an explanation), that's bull. I went with one friend who had read half the books, two people who only saw the trailers and thought it would be "No More Heroes the Movie," and myself, who had been reading teasers and basics in this thread for a bit, enough to get the jist. I was in a mixed theater of newbies and people who had read the comics.

Everyone seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves, laughing their asses off, and digging the characters. I know my friends loved it.

I keep hearing people call it shallow. Yeah, well, to most people, our generation (and I'm speaking as a 28 year old who gets called a 23 year old all the time) seems shallow. It's really not.. we just have our own thing, our own idols, so on. While I may hate the Hot Topic movement to commercialize it, the seed and genesis of that stuff is still there. I know that when I meet "the one," I'll have my own baggage to deal with, if it isn't already stopping me from meeting her. It doesn't mean I won't try.

Look. It's a good movie. But it's not great, and there's better movies to see. I'm not sorry I feel that way.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Saw the movie last night and I just hated it. I mean, why did none of the musicians have tattoos? Seriously. Even though almost every musician in the movie was wearing a full sleeve shirt, they should still have had tattoos. Like on their face, or something. It totally ruined the movie not seeing a tattoo on every person in the movie. Everyone knows musicians never leave the house unless they are on their way to get a new tattoo.

[tiny]Great movie, Evander is a silly goose[/tiny]

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Look. It's a good movie. But it's not great, and there's better movies to see. I'm not sorry I feel that way.

Better films? I don't know which films those would be, except for Inception.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't read the books, frankly. The movie wouldn't make sense otherwise.

The movie had its fair share of jokes unique to it that didn't carry over from the books, like the Seinfeld thing and "I need to pee on her," which was a good treat. The moving around of events and changing who had what line was okay I guess.

The books weren't meant to be constrained to a 2 hour film. A trilogy definitely would've worked out way better. Especially since we would've had some character and character-relationship depth all around. Because seriously there's no depth to Scott and Ramona (his wanting to be with her seems super shallow, yet he's going through all this trouble for her?), or Scott and Kim (his apology at the end, which is something that happens at the end of book 5 and has infinitely more meaning in the books), etc etc etc.

The casting was meh for the most part. The editing / effects is what made the film good to see.

Having just sat through my 1st and a half viewing (see last thread, page 101 or so for an explanation), that's bull. I went with one friend who had read half the books, two people who only saw the trailers and thought it would be "No More Heroes the Movie," and myself, who had been reading teasers and basics in this thread for a bit, enough to get the jist. I was in a mixed theater of newbies and people who had read the comics.

Everyone seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves, laughing their asses off, and digging the characters. I know my friends loved it.

I keep hearing people call it shallow. Yeah, well, to most people, our generation (and I'm speaking as a 28 year old who gets called a 23 year old all the time) seems shallow. It's really not.. we just have our own thing, our own idols, so on. While I may hate the Hot Topic movement to commercialize it, the seed and genesis of that stuff is still there. I know that when I meet "the one," I'll have my own baggage to deal with, if it isn't already stopping me from meeting her. It doesn't mean I won't try.

I never read any of the books and I understood the movie, or at least I have my interpretation of it. I also loved it.

I don't even know what you mean by people who haven't read the book not understanding it. Maybe it doesn't match the source material enough, but the movie is a complete and total entity in and of itself and I don't feel like it was missing anything.

Drez on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wonder how much overlap in audience there was between this movie and Expendables.

Turkey on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Better films? I don't know which films those would be, except for Inception.

The only film I've had fun watching this summer besides Scott Pilgrim and Inception was The Expendables.

But I'm a sucker for movies with lots of explosions and terrible plots, so there you go.

Edit: lol Turkey.....

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Why didn't you see Iron Man 2, silly person.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Why didn't you see Iron Man 2, silly person.

Ah, yes...that one too. I forgot about that one. I had fun watching that.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Opening this week?

Quid on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think this line of conversation goes back to what I was saying about the "geek aesthetic". If you're not a geek of some stripe-- someone who's had contact with the collective geek culture, it would be hells of difficult to parse what's being said.

Again... I'm finding it frustratingly difficult to say what I actually mean here.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In the theater ready to watch this for a second time.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I enjoyed it. I only knew the basic premise having not read the comics but I thought it told the story well.

Vegan Police and any part involving Wallace were my stand outs.

I'm kinda disappointed to discover the Clash at Demonhead song was Metric. I was all excited thinking I'd have another band to love but I already like these guys. Good song though.

That was the one song that stuck out for me afterwards but it turns out that you can't buy that single track on iTunes without buying the entire album. I enjoyed the soundtrack but that's the only song I really want from it.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I actually really like "We Hate You Please Die"

That rocking bass!

Jintor on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kelor wrote: »
    I enjoyed it. I only knew the basic premise having not read the comics but I thought it told the story well.

Vegan Police and any part involving Wallace were my stand outs.

I'm kinda disappointed to discover the Clash at Demonhead song was Metric. I was all excited thinking I'd have another band to love but I already like these guys. Good song though.

That was the one song that stuck out for me afterwards but it turns out that you can't buy that single track on iTunes without buying the entire album. I enjoyed the soundtrack but that's the only song I really want from it.

I've been listening to that song (the Clash at the Demonhead version) basically on loop for the past day.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    By the way,
    Does anybody remember either that Prodigy trailer song or "That was epic" in the movie?

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Nope. Not on either album either. Only found it on 24 bit.

Quid on