As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scott Pilgrim Thread 2: Now on DVD. TAG ALL BOOK 6 SPOILERS

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm going to go see the movie again in a bit.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    I'm going to go see the movie again in a bit.

I want to see it again, preferably in a better theater with a better sound system. I have thoroughly enjoyed all 1 1/2 viewings of it I've seen so far.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I haven't seen such blatant product placement since 'The Blind Side'.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Toronto did kind of get whored out something fierce. The local municipal tourism council had to have been all over this thing.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Toronto did kind of get whored out something fierce. The local municipal tourism council had to have been all over this thing.

WHY ARE YOU CLOSED

WHY

WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT

Oh wait, wrong Toronto movie.

Drez on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heading off to see the movie again, this time with a mixed group of geeks and non geeks. Curious as to what the reaction will be.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hot Fuzz opened to 5 million its first weekend before leaving theaters with 23
    Shaun of the Dead opened to 3 mil its first weekend, left theaters with 13

This is going to be his most successful film in America, financially. It appears he makes movies that take people awhile to "Get," for lack of a better term. Box Office, especially first weekend, isn't a reflection on the film - it's a reflection on the film's marketing.

Wow, I wasn't aware of Wright's opening weekend track record.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    To be fair, neither of those films opened on more than 1000 screens, and were allowed to run for about twice as long as this probably will.

But it does definitely bear out that Box Office isn't much of a signifier of quality of film. It's a point that gets belabored, but sometimes it needs belaboring. I wouldn't compare the technical achievements of this film to Fight Club, but people have, and I do think there's an argument to be made about the filmmaking techniques on display - but Fight Club also only made about 40 mil in theaters before disappearing and then reappearing on home video. Sometimes, movies being sold aren't movies people want to see until later, when they find them on their own, and the movie is allowed to work on its own terms.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Young Neil got some of the best lines of the film, just all in the background "Yeah but they're so much cooler live."

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    durax wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    Was Black Sheep the song Envy Adams sang at the Clash at Demonhead?

Yep.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jMruFHTwrY

Shit, now I want to see the movie again.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wooh! My Plumtree shirt just came in the mail!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Off to see this for a second time.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Young Neil got some of the best lines of the film, just all in the background "Yeah but they're so much cooler live."

My favorite moment of the climax was
    "Young Neil, you have learned well. From now on, you shall be known as... Neil."

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay, I'm back from my second viewing:

Non-spoiler thoughts and observations:

- If Pony reads this post, he'll probably give me shit for it in the future, but anyway... The first time, the theater wasn't packed. This time it wasn't. I enjoyed the first time more. Nobody except the guy behind me (and myself and my sister) really reacted to anything. Hardly any laughter. No clapping. The audience just contained a smattering of humorless geese.

- That said, the movie was no less funny because of the lack of a social atmosphere. I laughed just as much, maybe more, even when I knew what was coming.

- I really think the editing job is amazing. I had forgotten how much I liked his editing style in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, and it is really great here, even in the beginning which makes the "boring" part of the film fun. I was reminded of all of Shaun's scenes in the beginning of SotD, especially when they keep finding themselves in the pub. He has perfected the quick cut, IMO. Note, I'm no film major, but this is my laymenesque opinion but as far as I'm concerned it is still valid. :P

Spoilery observation:
    Not a big spoiler, but before the lesbian ex fight, when they are entering the venue for the Clash at Demonhead after party, is there a "text message received" sound?

I heard it on Friday, but I figured the theater was packed and someone in front of me forgot to silence their phone or something.

However, when I saw it today, I heard it AGAIN. Same EXACT sound. And I think the same exact place.

It just doesn't seem related to anything in the film. Like...it doesn't signify anyway, the way that the Windows bootup sound does when Wallace wakes up (when Scott is asking him the website for amazon.ca.

I basically just want to know if I'm going crazy or not.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Kilroy wrote: »

My favorite moment of the climax was
    "Young Neil, you have learned well. From now on, you shall be known as... Neil."

My favorite Neil moment,
    aside from "you should see them live" was when he comes up to sign the contract, but primarily the way he does it.

He clearly doesn't even look down, he just scribbles something on the paper. It's almost like Wright is blatantly saying "yeah, this whole thing is an allegory, this contract is a macguffin, the props are basically unimportant, hahaha" but in a really funny way.

Drez on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    - I really think the editing job is amazing. I had forgotten how much I liked his editing style in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, and it is really great here, even in the beginning which makes the "boring" part of the film fun. I was reminded of all of Shaun's scenes in the beginning of SotD, especially when they keep finding themselves in the pub. He has perfected the quick cut, IMO. Note, I'm no film major, but this is my laymenesque opinion but as far as I'm concerned it is still valid. :P

The editing in this movie blew my mind. Especially the dream sequence through the delivery. It's just like... you're watching and suddenly you are in a completely different scene. It's crazy.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The noise you heard actually sounds throughout the film like 4 times. The first time was when Lucas Lee looked at his phone.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I feel like I missed a lot of little things like that. I am so getting the DVD when it comes out so I can watch the whole movie at 1/12 speed. :P

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    When Scott and Ramona are riding the bus all the little lights outside are shaped like hearts.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    MarioG wrote: »
    When Scott and Ramona are riding the bus all the little lights outside are shaped like hearts.

Didn't notice that! Noticed this:
    Right before he meets Roxy and right before he rips the X-Men patch off his jacket and throws it to the ground, Scott is standing in the street and framed around him (above his head and to the far left and right), are seven "X's" on road signs and traffic lights.

Also:
    This one is pretty obvious, but when Gideon smashes Scott's "power of love" sword, the particles are little red/pink hearts. I'm not sure if I noticed that the first time or not. It's probably really obvious though so I'm betting everyone noticed it.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I also noticed
    The first time that they ever mention the first round of Battle of the Bands there is a store in the background that says Flight Something but the L in Flight goes out. Thus spelling out fight.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »

The editing in this movie blew my mind. Especially the dream sequence through the delivery. It's just like... you're watching and suddenly you are in a completely different scene. It's crazy.

I loved that scene.
    I was reading an interview with one of the actors (Gideon, I think) and he said that there was no CGI there. When the bathroom door closed, they quickly swapped out the sets on the other side. That makes me really happy for some reason.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    AaronKI wrote: »

I loved that scene.
    I was reading an interview with one of the actors (Gideon, I think) and he said that there was no CGI there. When the bathroom door closed, they quickly swapped out the sets on the other side. That makes me really happy for some reason.

Really?
    Also, if you like the actor that played Gideon (Jason Schwartzman) and you loved this film, you might love I Heart Huckabees. It's another really crazy and ridiculous film, nakedly allegorical I guess. I love it.

(spoilered cause people may not realize Scwartzman = Gideon, I guess.)

Drez on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I loved that scene.

Really?
    Also, if you like the actor that played Gideon (Jason Schwartzman) and you loved this film, you might love I Heart Huckabees. It's another really crazy and ridiculous film, nakedly allegorical I guess. I love it.

The interview in question:
    http://io9.com/5611653/

It's pretty interesting. There's some stuff there about how he helped shape Gideon's identity in the books. Actually, all of the cast interviews I've read for SP are pretty darn interesting. Lots of neat trivia about the filming of the movie.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If this movie fails at the box office, it'll be because it was too awesome and original and something a lot of people have been complaining about not having. It won't be because the movie sucked or that Michael Cera sucked (and I believe he was really, really good in the film and not Michael Cera-y).

Mim on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I loved that scene.

Really?

It's pretty interesting. There's some stuff there about how he helped shape Gideon's identity in the books. Actually, all of the cast interviews I've read for SP are pretty darn interesting. Lots of neat trivia about the filming of the movie.

I usually don't read interviews or care that much, but that is awesome, and a great read. Thank you! :)

Drez on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't stop gushing about this movie. I think it's the best video game adaptation* ever.

*The game came out first! I can say this with a straight face! And if that doesn't work, I can call it a comic book adaptation, where it'd compete with The Dark Knight...

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You can call it a comic book adaptation because the book started 6 years ago and finished weeks before the game came out.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I know I can, as that is what it is.. but damnit if I don't want at least ONE really good video game movie.. I've wanted a good one ever since Mario Brothers.

Athenor on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's the best Video Game Movie since the Wizard.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I loved that scene.

Really?

I usually don't read interviews or care that much, but that is awesome, and a great read. Thank you! :)

Me neither. That's why I'm so shocked that all of the SP interviews I've read have been pretty awesome. :P

The same goes for the "behind the scenes" parts of that interactive trailer. Normally things like that bore me, but I can't wait for the DVD to come out just so I can plow through all of the bonus features and listen to the commentary tracks.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If this movie doesn't do well it's not my fault; I saw it for the second time today, but I really want to see it with my cousin, too.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just watched it for a second time as well. I almost went to see it last night after seeing it in the afternoon, but I figured I'd just wait a day. Better crowd today, but still not a full theatre.

Loved it. Really, really loved it. And I had never read the graphic novel prior to this. But I swung by Barnes and Noble to check it out after.

Murphy on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Saw it for a second time today as well. They moved it to one of the back theaters and the big theater it was in was replaced with that fucking Julia Roberts movie. *sigh*

The crowd wasn't too huge and I swear the audio was low. I loved the movie, but was disappointed in my second viewing I think.

Funny thing I noticed during one of the last fights...
    The guy who knows everyone is there when Scott enters Gideon's place. His first entrance, the guy says "The first movie was better than the first movie." (I think) During Scott's second entrance, he says "the comic book was better than the movie."

I am sure that has been talked about in here, but I didn't actually hear it till the second go around.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Seems like a shitload of us have seen this a second time. I can only hope a lot of other people are doing so as well.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Saw it for a second time today as well. They moved it to one of the back theaters and the big theater it was in was replaced with that fucking Julia Roberts movie. *sigh*

The crowd wasn't too huge and I swear the audio was low. I loved the movie, but was disappointed in my second viewing I think.

Funny thing I noticed during one of the last fights...
    The guy who knows everyone is there when Scott enters Gideon's place. His first entrance, the guy says "The first movie was better than the first movie." (I think) During Scott's second entrance, he says "the comic book was better than the movie."

I am sure that has been talked about in here, but I didn't actually hear it till the second go around.

He actually says:
    "The(ir) first album is better than the(ir) first album." the first time. You have the second quote right, though.

Drez on
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll admit that it kinda saddens me that it didn't do too well on its opening weekend, but hey, at least it was a fairly good movie.

If only people were willing to get over their pre-conceived biases and just give the movie a fucking chance. I gave it a chance, and I'm glad I did, because I got to experience one of the most fun times at the movies I had since Zombieland. Money well spent, in my opinion.

Anyway, did anybody catch
    The Honest Ed's sign, all lit up and outside the window when they were eating at that restaurant after the fight with Todd? I thought it was a nice, subtle little callback to that scene in the books.

BigBear on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have been trying to convince various friends to try the movie out (and hell, I'll go watch it with them), but I'm not having much luck. Sad times.

Murphy on
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think I should also share my favorite Young Neil moment:
    "You punched the highlights out of her hair!"

BigBear on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Murphy wrote: »
    I have been trying to convince various friends to try the movie out (and hell, I'll go watch it with them), but I'm not having much luck. Sad times.

what are their objections?

Centipede Damascus on