As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unofficial Android App (Current Vr: 1.2.2: Custom events and maps!)

• Options
    nickswarnickswar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Brian4120 wrote: »
    nickswar wrote: »
    For those having problems downloading from the market, try some of the suggestions here. Seems like a lot of people are having problems with the market lately. If the issues aren't fixed by PAX I'll figure a way to go around the market.

You can always find a host for the APK file, enable installing from sources other than the market, and download it via browser

Yeah, I was going to look for some web hosting if people were still having problems a couple days before pax.

nickswar on
  • Options
    tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Brian4120 wrote: »
    For those having problems downloading from the market, try some of the suggestions here. Seems like a lot of people are having problems with the market lately. If the issues aren't fixed by PAX I'll figure a way to go around the market.

You can always find a host for the APK file, enable installing from sources other than the market, and download it via browser

Yeah, I was going to look for some web hosting if people were still having problems a couple days before pax.

Considering the small nature of the file(<5Megs iirc) and the small group of people having problems getting it, the ideal solution would be Dropbox, imo. That way nickswar doesn't have to worry about people hosting it getting the new file up.. He just has to put it in his public dropbox folder and update a link.

tek on
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure if this is the case for every froyo handset, but the rom I'm running has App Sharing so I'll be able to distribute the app at PAX via bluetooth. :)

GeeCee on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GeeCee wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the case for every froyo handset, but the rom I'm running has App Sharing so I'll be able to distribute the app at PAX via bluetooth. :)

What's the process involved? I conveniently have 2 droid handsets, and one of them has the app installed correctly.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Uh, I'm not sure. I just know that my leedroid rom has it installed.. I think if you choose Bluetooth then it will send it via the OBEX Push profile, but you'll have to pair with the other person. I have no way to test, unfortunately.

Edit: I just tested it with my laptop and all it did was send a market link. :(

GeeCee on
  • Options
    tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

What's the process involved? I conveniently have 2 droid handsets, and one of them has the app installed correctly.

A quick install of the Android SDK to get access to adb and 5 minutes of your time will yield you the ability to manually install the APK.

Heck even putting it on the sd card of the needing droid and using Astro to do the install should work.

tek on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    tek wrote: »

A quick install of the Android SDK to get access to adb and 5 minutes of your time will yield you the ability to manually install the APK.

Heck even putting it on the sd card of the needing droid and using Astro to do the install should work.

That sounds like something I can do. I'll give it a shot in the AM. Er, later this AM. Maybe this afternoon.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    For those who want to try and manually install, I have a link to the APK on dropbox here. I'll keep updating the original post with new update links. Also, are there still a lot of people out there with the maps not working? If they aren't working and you know how to look at the android log, then a copy of that would be greatly appreciated!

nickswar on
  • Options
    hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    aragorn18 wrote: »
    I don't mean to start a holy war, but looking at the iPhone app and the fact that the developer can't even guarantee it'll be out before PAX itself, I just have to laugh. We've gone through, what? 7 versions in a couple weeks. This is exactly why I love Android.

Yeah, I agree. No hate towards Apple, but as a developer the unrestricted market Android has is much more appealing.

i see what you did there. APPealing. well played sir. haha

hyrulehero96 on
    Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    aragorn18 wrote: »
    I don't mean to start a holy war, but looking at the iPhone app and the fact that the developer can't even guarantee it'll be out before PAX itself, I just have to laugh. We've gone through, what? 7 versions in a couple weeks. This is exactly why I love Android.

Yeah, I agree. No hate towards Apple, but as a developer the unrestricted market Android has is much more appealing.

i see what you did there. APPealing. well played sir. haha

:P

nickswar on
  • Options
    DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey gang!

I'm on a Nexus One and had some trouble downloading and installing the upgrade. I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure what fixed it, but I literally just kept trying to download it over and over. Eventually it just worked. Good luck...

Divebommah on
  • Options
    themateothemateo SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Satellite Theater has a Twitter feed @paxsat

Great work.

themateo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The new 1.0.0 version is on the market now! I decided the app is at a good place now to take off the beta tag. I really appreciate you guys participating; the app wouldn't be where it is without all of you! I'll still continue to work on the app as PAX approaches. In this new version I've added a couple minor things including a paypal donate button (which can also be found here), promotions page and the satellite theater feed. The change log has moved to the bottom of the settings menu if you want to see the rest. I still need to fix the maps for the handful of people who are having problems, so if any of you could send me the error log that would really help!

edit: I also put my picture in the credits so you can find me at PAX and say hi!
    edit2: APK file is linked on the original post for people who need to manually install.

nickswar on
  • Options
    shrapnelshrapnel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is it possible to make links clickable in the twitter feed?

With the way I implemented twitter, that would be kind of hard. If there are enough people that want clickable tweets, then I can figure something out. The only thing is that I can't really guarantee twitter will even work during PAX due to any wifi/3g issues.

Twidroid used to put all tweet actions in a popup menu when a tweet was clicked. It would parse any links out of the tweet and present them as the first menu items. Would that sort of behavior be easier to build than actual clickable text? I kind of prefer it to the official client where you have to touch the fiddly little link text.

shrapnel on
  • Options
    UCLA_JukeboxUCLA_Jukebox Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You are now a god. Congratulations.

Thank you for the awsome app.

UCLA_Jukebox on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just wanted to thank the creator of this app :^: It is pretty amazing. Thanks!

skettios on
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Donated cause this is an awesome app.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks guys! I'm glad all of you like the app!
    shrapnel wrote: »
    Is it possible to make links clickable in the twitter feed?

With the way I implemented twitter, that would be kind of hard. If there are enough people that want clickable tweets, then I can figure something out. The only thing is that I can't really guarantee twitter will even work during PAX due to any wifi/3g issues.

Twidroid used to put all tweet actions in a popup menu when a tweet was clicked. It would parse any links out of the tweet and present them as the first menu items. Would that sort of behavior be easier to build than actual clickable text? I kind of prefer it to the official client where you have to touch the fiddly little link text.

You know, I may have figured something out. If I get anywhere with it then I'll let you guys know.

nickswar on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    contrefait wrote: »
    Donated cause this is an awesome app.

Ditto!

Great app man, if I see you at PAX I'll hold onto some of the space invader candy I made for the cookie brigade for you. :mrgreen:

ransim on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Awesome job, man. You have succeeded where I have failed two years running. I always get right up to the point where I'm making a UI for my PAX app, and then lose interest. But if you need any backend code, I have a ton of it written. :-)

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I owe you a beer or something. Ill probably be running around with a clipboard and frown but I would love to meetup and thank you in person.

themateo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I know I sound like a broken record, but I'm glad you guys like the app! Also, thanks to all of those who have donated (I hope my cheesy one line thank you email doesn't seem like an auto-responder :P).
    jonxp wrote: »
    Awesome job, man. You have succeeded where I have failed two years running. I always get right up to the point where I'm making a UI for my PAX app, and then lose interest. But if you need any backend code, I have a ton of it written. :-)

Before I began I actually saw your your thread and it kind of got me started, so thanks! If I need to look at any of your code I'll be sure to let you know!

Also, would anyone want a settings check box to disable all online features (twitter - two of the maps - one of the grids - donate links)? I was thinking that might be good to prevent accidental data usage.

nickswar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    A widget for next event would be cool........... if you are taking suggestions

themateo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    themateo wrote: »
    A widget for next event would be cool........... if you are taking suggestions

That might be a good idea for next year. I've never made a widget.

nickswar on
  • Options
    niq24601niq24601 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know it got mentioned earlier, but having some way to add events to your calendar would rock. Though I assume nick is in need of a break at this point ^_^.

BTW, one of the older versions would routinely flash "oh no! Could't get official_pax twitter feed" on my Droid X. I had to either uninstall the app or disable twitter feeds. Any idea if this every got fixed?

niq24601 on
    niq24601.jpg
    "gay" and "rape". You keep on using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    niq24601 wrote: »
    I know it got mentioned earlier, but having some way to add events to your calendar would rock. Though I assume nick is in need of a break at this point ^_^.

BTW, one of the older versions would routinely flash "oh no! Could't get official_pax twitter feed" on my Droid X. I had to either uninstall the app or disable twitter feeds. Any idea if this every got fixed?

Yeah I have that on my to-do list, no promises though :P. About the twitter thing, was that when you had the app running in the background? I remember I was about to fix that, but then forgot about it. I'll make sure it's fixed before PAX.

nickswar on
  • Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    calendar integration on Android is kind of a pain in the ass - there's no official/public API to do it, though with some searching you can certainly find examples of how to do it. The 2.2 release also made changes to the underlying database the calendar info is stored in, so you'd need to detect the SDK level of the phone and proceed accordingly. just thought i'd share, based on what I ran into when I was messing with our android application at work.

You could also do it via the Google Calendar API, but that requires internet access and the user to sign in with their username and password.

Kjeldor on
  • Options
    niq24601niq24601 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kjeldor wrote: »
    calendar integration on Android is kind of a pain in the ass - there's no official/public API to do it, though with some searching you can certainly find examples of how to do it. The 2.2 release also made changes to the underlying database the calendar info is stored in, so you'd need to detect the SDK level of the phone and proceed accordingly. just thought i'd share, based on what I ran into when I was messing with our android application at work.

You could also do it via the Google Calendar API, but that requires internet access and the user to sign in with their username and password.

Yeah, okay, this sounds like a project for next year, not 3-days before the ship date ^_^.

niq24601 on
    niq24601.jpg
    "gay" and "rape". You keep on using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Out of curiosity I put "PAX Android" in search.twitter.com, and I saw a lot of stuff about my app! Just wanted to thank you guys for spreading the word!

nickswar on
  • Options
    SpongeSponge Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fantastic app, the tweet feeds and personal schedule are to-be-life-savers. Problem on my Desire, the two expo maps won't load. It comes up with the loading screen then jumps back to select a map.

Sponge on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sponge wrote: »
    Fantastic app, the tweet feeds and personal schedule are to-be-life-savers. Problem on my Desire, the two expo maps won't load. It comes up with the loading screen then jumps back to select a map.

Yeah sorry about that. I'm trying to find the problem, but I need the error logs from someone.

nickswar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i'll see what i can do, i saw that earlier on my Incredible (i broke down and bought one) and meant to fire up logcat.

Kjeldor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    looks like it's an out of memory error.
    08-30 22:46:10.899: INFO/ActivityManager(77): Starting activity: Intent { cmp=com.nickswar.paxapp/.map.Map (has extras) }
    08-30 22:46:10.979: INFO/NotificationService(77): enqueueToast pkg=com.nickswar.paxapp callback=android.app.ITransientNotification$Stub$Proxy@465c3278 duration=1
    08-30 22:46:11.230: INFO/ActivityManager(77): Displayed activity com.nickswar.paxapp/.map.Map: 307 ms (total 28289 ms)
    08-30 22:46:11.619: ERROR/dalvikvm-heap(21616): 19511490-byte external allocation too large for this process.
    08-30 22:46:11.619: ERROR/dalvikvm(21616): Out of memory: Heap Size=3715KB, Allocated=2563KB, Bitmap Size=10100KB
    08-30 22:46:11.619: ERROR/(21616): VM won't let us allocate 19511490 bytes
    08-30 22:46:11.949: INFO/ActivityManager(77): Process com.nickswar.paxapp (pid 21616) has died.
    08-30 22:46:11.949: INFO/WindowManager(77): WIN DEATH: Window{464db108 com.nickswar.paxapp/com.nickswar.paxapp.map.Map paused=false}
    08-30 22:46:11.949: INFO/WindowManager(77): WIN DEATH: Window{46514aa0 Toast paused=false}
    08-30 22:46:11.949: INFO/WindowManager(77): WIN DEATH: Window{464d71f8 com.nickswar.paxapp/com.nickswar.paxapp.map.MapChooser paused=false}
    08-30 22:46:11.959: INFO/ActivityManager(77): Start proc com.nickswar.paxapp for activity com.nickswar.paxapp/.map.MapChooser: pid=21622 uid=10064 gids={3003}
    08-30 22:46:11.959: DEBUG/Zygote(59): Process 21616 terminated by signal (11)
    08-30 22:46:11.999: INFO/dalvikvm(21622): Debugger thread not active, ignoring DDM send (t=0x41504e4d l=38)
    08-30 22:46:11.999: ERROR/ActivityManager(77): fail to set top app changed!
    08-30 22:46:12.009: INFO/UsageStats(77): Unexpected resume of com.nickswar.paxapp while already resumed in com.nickswar.paxapp
    08-30 22:46:12.019: INFO/dalvikvm(21622): Debugger thread not active, ignoring DDM send (t=0x41504e4d l=42)
    08-30 22:46:12.089: WARN/InputManagerService(77): Got RemoteException sending setActive(false) notification to pid 21616 uid 10064
    08-30 22:46:14.492: WARN/NotificationService(77): Object died trying to hide notification android.app.ITransientNotification$Stub$Proxy@465c3278 in package com.nickswar.paxapp
    08-30 22:46:14.492: WARN/ActivityManager(77): setProcessForeground called on unknown pid: 21616

Kjeldor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i'll see what i can do, i saw that earlier on my Incredible (i broke down and bought one) and meant to fire up logcat.

Nice, that's a cool phone! And thanks for taking the time to try and get the log.

nickswar on
  • Options
    SpongeSponge Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can you add #IntelWiMAX? I founcd it on the Intel Game On thread.
    Divebommah wrote: »
    Oh yeah – I forgot to mention there’s even one more way that you can win some sweet prizes at PAX. Some time on Saturday (probably around lunch time), the Intel WiMAX Wanderer will be hanging around outside the PAX convention center. He’s very very sneaky, so you’ll have to look for him with a blue Intel flag. When you find the Wanderer, tell him the password “wireless freedom” and you can get a Game On prize card PLUS you’ll get to draw another card for prizes including $25/$50/$100 Best Buy gift cards, solar charged speakers and more.

Seattle is just the first stop on the WiMAX Wanderer’s cross country tour. You can find out where he’s heading next on Facebook and Twitter.

Sponge on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    looks like it's an out of memory error.
    08-30 22:46:10.899: INFO/ActivityManager(77): Starting activity: Intent { cmp=com.nickswar.paxapp/.map.Map (has extras) }
    08-30 22:46:10.979: INFO/NotificationService(77): enqueueToast pkg=com.nickswar.paxapp callback=android.app.ITransientNotification$Stub$Proxy@465c3278 duration=1
    08-30 22:46:11.230: INFO/ActivityManager(77): Displayed activity com.nickswar.paxapp/.map.Map: 307 ms (total 28289 ms)
    08-30 22:46:11.619: ERROR/dalvikvm-heap(21616): 19511490-byte external allocation too large for this process.
    08-30 22:46:11.619: ERROR/dalvikvm(21616): Out of memory: Heap Size=3715KB, Allocated=2563KB, Bitmap Size=10100KB
    08-30 22:46:11.619: ERROR/(21616): VM won't let us allocate 19511490 bytes
    08-30 22:46:11.949: INFO/ActivityManager(77): Process com.nickswar.paxapp (pid 21616) has died.
    08-30 22:46:11.949: INFO/WindowManager(77): WIN DEATH: Window{464db108 com.nickswar.paxapp/com.nickswar.paxapp.map.Map paused=false}
    08-30 22:46:11.949: INFO/WindowManager(77): WIN DEATH: Window{46514aa0 Toast paused=false}
    08-30 22:46:11.949: INFO/WindowManager(77): WIN DEATH: Window{464d71f8 com.nickswar.paxapp/com.nickswar.paxapp.map.MapChooser paused=false}
    08-30 22:46:11.959: INFO/ActivityManager(77): Start proc com.nickswar.paxapp for activity com.nickswar.paxapp/.map.MapChooser: pid=21622 uid=10064 gids={3003}
    08-30 22:46:11.959: DEBUG/Zygote(59): Process 21616 terminated by signal (11)
    08-30 22:46:11.999: INFO/dalvikvm(21622): Debugger thread not active, ignoring DDM send (t=0x41504e4d l=38)
    08-30 22:46:11.999: ERROR/ActivityManager(77): fail to set top app changed!
    08-30 22:46:12.009: INFO/UsageStats(77): Unexpected resume of com.nickswar.paxapp while already resumed in com.nickswar.paxapp
    08-30 22:46:12.019: INFO/dalvikvm(21622): Debugger thread not active, ignoring DDM send (t=0x41504e4d l=42)
    08-30 22:46:12.089: WARN/InputManagerService(77): Got RemoteException sending setActive(false) notification to pid 21616 uid 10064
    08-30 22:46:14.492: WARN/NotificationService(77): Object died trying to hide notification android.app.ITransientNotification$Stub$Proxy@465c3278 in package com.nickswar.paxapp
    08-30 22:46:14.492: WARN/ActivityManager(77): setProcessForeground called on unknown pid: 21616

Great, thanks for finding that! I thought I fixed that error... but I guess I didn't. I'll try to have it fixed in the next update.

As for IntelWiMAX, that will also be in the next update.

nickswar on
  • Options
    BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Speaking of Twitter feeds to add what about @metacampaign (5v5 Steel Battalion Metacampaign) and @paxparties?

And to bring up an old one it would be super useful to be able to switch days without having to go back out to the menu. A swipe would be best, but even being able to bring it up from the menu would be helpful.

Belgand on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Belgand wrote: »
    Speaking of Twitter feeds to add what about @metacampaign (5v5 Steel Battalion Metacampaign) and @paxparties?

And to bring up an old one it would be super useful to be able to switch days without having to go back out to the menu. A swipe would be best, but even being able to bring it up from the menu would be helpful.

I'll make sure to add both of those feeds in the next update. About the swipe, as far as I know it's a lot harder to implement than it sounds. Instead of the menu button I can work on left/right arrow buttons near the title to change the day.

nickswar on
  • Options
    BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Belgand wrote: »

I'll make sure to add both of those feeds in the next update. About the swipe, as far as I know it's a lot harder to implement than it sounds. Instead of the menu button I can work on left/right arrow buttons near the title to change the day.

Good enough. I had a feeling that a swipe might be a problem, things like that usually are.

Belgand on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Havent been keeping up with the thread, but if it matters, newest version works fine on newly Froyo'd Incredible. None of the weirdness it was having before.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
This discussion has been closed.