As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Amsterdam!

MarmosetMarmoset Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys!
Going on a week-long trip to Amsterdam in a couple of days.
We've already got the usual museums and city-tours booked. Any other recommendations for must-sees or must-dos that are overlooked by the typical tourist? I'm 23 (female) and going with my folks, so it'd be nice to get away and do some youth-oriented activities for a bit. Any general Amsterdam advice?
Thanks! <3

Marmoset on

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    - Weather permitting: hanging out in the Vondel Park is the thing to do apparently.

- If you're into science or enjoy shows like Brainiac or Mythbusters you will probably enjoy the NeMo museum.

- Although most tourists already visit, the Wallen/red light district is funny. Especially if you come from a more prudent country.

- If you're into architecture there is the Amsterdamse School style with (among others) the Beurs van Berlage.

I think their tourist trap website has all the info you need: http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting

A week is pretty long to hang around in Amsterdam, perhaps your parents have already planned trips to other places, but if they haven't I can recommend visiting The Hague (easily reachable with public transport) where the government is housed. The city centre has a few wonders of modern architecture, but also a number of old monumental buildings.

Aldo on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Weather is mixed for the next week unfortunately. (23C, cloudy, and good chances of rain).

If you like going out, the general hotspot is 'het Leidseplein,' which is also where two of the most popular clubs are located: Paradiso en de Melkweg.

Note that the Netherlands is pretty small, and from Amsterdam almost every place is reachable within two hours (under an hour for Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht), and the Dutch railways are a good way to travel. (Trains every 15 minutes between major cities).

Within Amsterdam, most things are within walking distance, or you could take the trams, which run on chipcards you can charge and pay per trip, or cards that work for a set period of time. Or you can mix with the locals and rent a bike (€8/day from google, the big advantage being that the trams stop at 01.00)

If you happen to be looking for our world famous "coffee shops," well you can't miss them. I'll bet you spot the first one within 15 minutes inside the city centre.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Resistance Museum was pretty cool.

Eat lots of stroopwaffles.

Visit Amsterdamse Bos.

There's an outdoor market in Amstelveen that is awesome. I got some really cute dresses there for 15 Euro combined.

VisionOfClarity on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yea I wish I had more time to see the sights while I was there. The only culturally relevant thing I did there was go to the Anne Frank house. After that I got depressed and went to a coffee shop.

Farangu on