As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Running Shoes!

Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I started running two weeks ago. I started out using just my only pair of shoes (just some casual street shoes) since I wasn't sure I'd stick with it. Surely enough, turned out to be my favorite exercise I've taken up so far. Before the week even ended, the soles of my shoes had worn down next to nothing and were falling apart.

So I bought some athletic shoes, same size and all.

The problem is that when I use the athletic shoes, I don't know if it's the extra grip, maybe just that they aren't fully broken in, or that I can't get them as securely tight as I can my casual, but I run a hell of a lot faster in my now raggedy casual shoes. And I can run for longer periods of time. Running with the athletic feels sluggish by comparison.

So what's the deal? I'm gonna use my casual for now since they're falling apart anyway, but eventually I'll need to know what's ideal. :?

Frosty the Snow Plow on

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Find your local running store. You know, the one with all the employees that run marathons and have their pictures and medals and racing numbers all over the walls. (If you don't know of one, ask your local college or prep coach where one is).

They will be able to help you out immensely with what type of shoe you need. They can watch you run around the parking lot and will recommend a shoe based on that. It's very important to have the right shoes, especially if you are a beginner.

It's possible the shoes you bought are not suited well to your style.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you are currently running in raggedy shoes I'd suggest looking into the Nike Free

NIK1318?wid=438&hei=432&fmt=jpeg&qlt=75,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=1.1,1.0,5,0&iccEmbed=0

I've been running in these for about a year now and I think its awesome. Basic cloth top and really flexible sole that is split up into little sections. Only real problem is that they are real expensive.

If you are looking for cushioning and such this is not the shoe to buy, but since you are already running in what I assume to be beat up Vans this will be a similar sensation.

I have to admit that I bought them after reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall which talks at length about barefoot running and how a raggedy shoe is actually better for you than a pair of $200 Asics. It's a pretty sweet book to read if you are just getting into running and, if anything, it will make you feel like a pussy any day that you cop out on going for a run

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Get a pair of appropriately sized tabi-boots.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I JUST finished reading an article that is completely and absolutely relevant:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

The short of it is, use the thinnest, flimsiest soled shoes you can. Or go barefoot if you've got a proper track available.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just know that if you have high/low arches or are over/under pronating, you could risk injury unless you get specific shoes designed for your feet. Not everyone can run in NikeFree/Vibrams/barefoot. As long as your shoes are lighter than the moonboot sneakers that pass for running shoes then you should be fine in non-minimalist shoe.

Edit: just make sure your form doesn't suck (don't heal strike, don't overstride, etc.)

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    While barefoot running might be the in/cool thing, I'm not sold on it. I use New Balance and I love them. Some folks swear by other brands, but NB works for me.

Second, thirded and fourthed the 'go to your local runners store' advice. Not Foot Locker, not Champs. Something local where runners work. They know their shit (usually).

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think the barefoot/thin-soled studies are accurate, but that they only apply to athletes and not casual runners. Just FYI, barefoot running on anything but grass hurts like a bitch, even on very soft rubber tracks.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Edit: just make sure your form doesn't suck (don't heal strike, don't overstride, etc.)

Running with correct form is much more important than what shoes you wear. What a lot of people don't realize is that having good running form is what allows people to run with very thin soled shoes or no shoes without injury. You do not need to be a professional athlete to accomplish this.

One exercise you can try is to run in place with very quick steps. You will notice that it is practically impossible to land on your heels, you have to land in the middle of your foot or on the ball of your foot. As you run in place, slowly lean forward. Voila...you are now running.

As Veritas mentioned, try to be conscious of not over striding, that is do not try to force your foot to land in front of your body. Your feet should always be landing underneath your body.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Tavataar wrote: »
    What a lot of people don't realize is that having good running form is what allows people to run with very thin soled shoes or no shoes without injury.

I believe it is the opposite; barefoot/minimalist basically forces people to run with good form. People have said it "corrected" their style. You may need to actively focus on good form with regular running shoes.

As long as you are aware of your running form, you should be fine in anything.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fair enough.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zenitram wrote: »
    I think the barefoot/thin-soled studies are accurate, but that they only apply to athletes and not casual runners. Just FYI, barefoot running on anything but grass hurts like a bitch, even on very soft rubber tracks.

A lot of people give me crap for running in Vibrams. I, myself, after about a year of using them, am sold on them. I'm running faster now than I did when I joined the Navy ten years ago, and running farther, too. I just ran 5.5 miles yesterday and am actually seriously considering training for a marathon, whereas before I was in the "3 Miles A Year" club. And I feel a lot better doing it.

Sure, I could probably be doing this all in normal running shoes, but I somehow didn't have the motivation until I got my Vibrams. Maybe it just has something to do with wanting to prove people wrong.

I have done barefoot running a little bit. Anything longer than two miles I start to get blisters, so my feet or my form aren't ready for that. Aside from that, running on the actual road is pretty comfortable, granted the sun isn't beating down and making it too hot to bare. Sidewalks do suck to run on. So I stick to Vibrams since that what I have to wear for command PT.

But, as with anything, YMMV.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh man, I can't imagine trying to wear Vibrams in any sort of group military PT. Good for you though. I saw them on a someone in the Boston subway last month and was all "ooooOOOOoooh... cool."

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For shoes, go to a running store like the others have said. Have someone who knows what they are talking about help you find the right shoe for you.

If you go the barefoot/vibram path, which I fully support, start slow. There are tendons in your ankle and foot that have probably tightened and shortened over the years of wearing shoes. When barefoot running you should start slow by walking around a lot or doing some light jogging until you stretch that stuff out again. It will help prevent injury.

Noxy on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Vibrams are great for some, and I've been running in them for about the last 8 months. If you're going to use them for running I'd suggest going with the new Bikila's which you can get from REI or City Sport out of Boston.

I'm actually looking to get away from the fivefingers at the moment. While I have definitely strengthened the muscles in my ankles and calves I have not been able to run over eight miles without either wrapping my feet first or suffering extreme blisters afterwards.

Fivefingers should fit your feet pretty snuggly, unfortunately they just don't fit my feet the way they should, which results in blisters.

So, I'm either going to go straight barefoot or look into some Nike Frees, which is too bad, since I've really enjoyed the barefoot experience through Vibrams, I just wish I wasn't plagued by constant blisters, hot spots and occasional bloody wear-throughs over the arches.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was expecting my preference for my thin-soled, cheap shoes to be a bad thing. Glad there's a precedent for it. I'll hit up a proper running store if this running thing really takes off,. Y'know, give it a month or so.

Great information, a lot more interesting than I was expecting. :)

Frosty the Snow Plow on