As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat]: Rock is Revamped, Scissors gets Scissors Power, Paper is NYI

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Definitely not how I would have responded :P

Well my shaman is in horrible gear; you can tell that from a quick glance without needing to inspect, and I'd rather not find myself kicked while I'm attempting to gear myself up. I'm just keeping quiet and going with the flow.

If I'd kicked up a fuss, someone would have probably initiated a kick on the horribly geared dps.

He did end up face down a bit later on, something I could have prevented most likely.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Continuing the money-making discussion from earlier, my biggest money-making tip is to get Northrend Loremaster on every character. It will easily pay for epic flight. Icecrown alone adds up to around two thousand gold, and that is with skipping group quests. Earlier zones do not give that much, but they only take a little bit of time to blitz through at 80. With heirlooms and random dungeons, it is easy to hit 80 with five or six zones leftover to quest for gold.

grrarg on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Questing to make money is fine as long as it's something you enjoy doing, otherwise it's not really different than any other kind of farming.

For me personally, I'm trying to get the hang of the whole AH thing. I'm not really good at the whole "flipping" thing, but I've found good money in tradeskills - buying raw mats and moving a few steps up the chain for resale. I've found that being involved in a lot of different markets simultaneously helps a lot, as you're not caught with your pants down if one particular market tanks.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    danx wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    WTF do you have to spend money on anyway?

GDKP runs. I spend big and they love me. Except those rogues after a cheap TAJ in the last run. They hate me.

Is that on the 'new' server? How are things going on there?

Yep.

The guild is doing well. Got a good bunch of folk, always people on and up to something. It's fun here. We had recruitment issues for a while so didn't get very far reliably in icc until april/may (went through 4 tanks), but now we're 7/12 hc and the guild is pretty steady. Was a bit frustrating at times but it's worked out for us. Moving here was a good idea. ;)

The server ain't too bad. Always busy, lots of pugs, a lot of decent to good players and good guilds (there are bad ones too). It's alot better than Azuremyst. Not perfect by any means, but if you know who the good raid leaders are you'll go pretty far in pugs (if not, you'll get SF on 25 and maybe fester). There are 3 icc 25 GDKP runs a week, always on the weekend and i think they're considering RS25. Loads of other stuff too. Plenty to do.
    Another month and i can finally play again :winky:

:winky:

danx on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I rerolled on a new server so I have a level 70 DK on the server that I play occasionally to earn money for my Warrior. I could work the auction house but I find it more tedious than questing.

jackal on
  • derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Some guy made a thread on the official forums showing how much gold you could make while leveling and having 2 gathering trade skills.

Think he had epic flying + cold weather flying, dual specs and still a nice amount of gold the moment he hit 80.

I'll see if i find a link... EDIT: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25170840897&sid=1

derangedhermit on
    Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
    edited August 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    I rerolled on a new server so I have a level 70 DK on the server that I play occasionally to earn money for my Warrior. I could work the auction house but I find it more tedious than questing.

Yeah, I guess I don't really "work" the AH so much as I've just been using it. I'm leveling inscription on one character, so I've been dumping all those glyphs onto the AH. Basically I use my transmute cooldowns, craft a lot of bags, pick up some vendor recipes, and a few other things, then dump them into the market when it's profitable to do so.

Then again I'm not in any particular hurry to make money, I'm just slowly building towards Cataclysm. Alchemy has been a nice 100-200g+ a day just from transmuting gems, and that takes about 10 seconds.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My friend did that basically, mining noob shit while you level and selling it is ABSURD money. We RAFed to 60 and by the time we both hit it, he had 2k gold and I had 300...

I think I am done raiding till Cata, at least for my main. Im not into hardmodes and the time they take, and the only real upgrade I need is in 25 man ICC and its the same damn trinket every caster needs. I dont feel like that kind of loot grind anymore, especially one that wont be worth a damn in a little while.

So now I am working on maxing Engineering on my main, then finishing off my druid. Main is going to be Eng / Alch because fuck gathering professions. Just an obligation to waste mass amounts of time. I will make my money elsewhere and let others do the work.

Kai_San on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PvPing for gems is also a good way to make some money, especially on an honor weekend.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
    edited August 2010
    About fucking time, they made maps for all of the old world instances(to be released with Cata, of course).
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1928-Cataclysm-Dungeon-Maps-Siamat-Blue-Posts

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
    edited August 2010
    Kai_San wrote: »
    My friend did that basically, mining noob shit while you level and selling it is ABSURD money. We RAFed to 60 and by the time we both hit it, he had 2k gold and I had 300...

So now I am working on maxing Engineering on my main, then finishing off my druid. Main is going to be Eng / Alch because fuck gathering professions. Just an obligation to waste mass amounts of time. I will make my money elsewhere and let others do the work.

FWIW, gathering professions are huge money early on in the expansion. I remember Saronite Ore at 35g+ a stack. Obviously it tapers off a month or two in.

I expect the market for low level mats to tank at the beginning of Cata as everyone levels Worgen/Goblins and has the same "2 gathering profs for $texas lol" mentality.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    About fucking time, they made maps for all of the old world instances(to be released with Cata, of course).
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1928-Cataclysm-Dungeon-Maps-Siamat-Blue-Posts

And yet, none for the BC ones.

Samphis on
    edited August 2010
    Those are coming in the expansion after Cataclysm.

Beyond Normal on
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

FWIW, gathering professions are huge money early on in the expansion. I remember Saronite Ore at 35g+ a stack. Obviously it tapers off a month or two in.

I expect the market for low level mats to tank at the beginning of Cata as everyone levels Worgen/Goblins and has the same "2 gathering profs for $texas lol" mentality.

I see people starting that way but then once they realize that everyone and their dog.. (get it?) is gathering and every node is a fight most will change to crafting profs.

That's my take on it anyway. Prices tank week one, prices skyrocket week 2/3

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    WEll the instances in TBC were easy to understand instead of jump here to continue

Brainleech on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

The rare materials, like Arctic Fur and Titanium, make especially nice amounts of money early on in the expansion.

Then again, everything makes nice amounts of money early on in the expansion as everyone's just getting geared up and crafted gear has some value when everyone and their mother aren't farming the first raid tier already.

reVerse on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

The rare materials, like Arctic Fur and Titanium, make especially nice amounts of money early on in the expansion.

Then again, everything makes nice amounts of money early on in the expansion as everyone's just getting geared up and crafted gear has some value when everyone and their mother aren't farming the first raid tier already.

Arctic fur was strange on my server since it went from really cheap to super expensive. If the same thing happens this time I'm gonna snag the rare mat off the AH first week or two then sell them as the prices go up

initiatefailure on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Crafting profs are a big investment of time/resources and most have pretty limited payoffs in terms of actually making money (JC and enchanting are legit moneymakers, and inscription can be too if you either get lucky with research early on or have a ton of patience for trolling the AH.)

Crafting professions can make the most cash early in an expansion's lifecycle if you grind them quickly, because you can cash in on the limited supply of crafters. Once people have had time to level them though, the profit margin basically becomes the convenience/laziness tax.

Unless you're playing the AH at a pretty sophisticated level, gathering is where the money is. Performance bonuses attached to professions provide incentive for everyone to be some sort of crafter; that, combined with multiple uses for almost every gathered reagent mean that goods almost always decline in value as they move from 'raw' to 'finished.' The only exceptions to this seem to be gems (since there's really only one use for gems anyway) and for some reason, titansteel. A single titanium bar is cheaper than two titanium ore on dark iron, but titansteel bars seem to regularly sell for more than their component parts.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey look at that, WC is still confusing as shit, at least the map helps now.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would be more likely to take gathering professions if Blizzard could keep bots under control. Before the last wave of bans there was saronite ore on the AH for less than what they would get for smelting and vendoring it.

jackal on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    bowen wrote: »

I don't know, it still looks a lot like your red squiggley lines.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited August 2010
    I would be more likely to take gathering professions if Blizzard could keep bots under control. Before the last wave of bans there was saronite ore on the AH for less than what they would get for smelting and vendoring it.

Sounds like a pretty easy money making opportunity for other miners.

I managed to snag about 50 stacks of saronite ore the other day from somebody in trade who was moving it at 13g a stack. I don't really need it for anything, but I'm sure it'll turn into a profit at some point.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    End wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

I don't know, it still looks a lot like your red squiggley lines.

:?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited August 2010
    The bit that overlaps with the jump is actually really confusing me.

Fortunately that area is like the one linear area of the instance (unless you fall). It just overlaps.

End on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Sounds like a pretty easy money making opportunity for other miners.

I managed to snag about 50 stacks of saronite the other day from somebody in trade who was moving it at 13g a stack. I don't really need it for anything, but I'm sure it'll turn into a profit at some point.

Yup - when mats hit a real low, check to see if you can actually make money by vendoring stuff on the AH - hell I've seen netherweave drop so low that making bandages out of it after buying from the AH actually made money.

As for money making while leveling - even if you don't have a gathering profession - get an AH mod like auctioneer - greens are usually vendor fodder but a lot of random crap sells for a hell of a lot more than it vendors for.

LockeCole on
    edited August 2010
    Oh, also on enchanting re: auto disenchant

I see a lot of people mindlessly click to DE drops in heroics. Get a tooltip that gives you the vendor and DE value of an item, and pay attention to it. Every time you click to DE that 17g vendor blue weapon and turn it into a 3g dream shard, you're just throwing money away.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Stuff of the Bear, Tiger, or Monkey usually sells good. That and stuff with any kind of spellpower. Everything is DE fodder.

captaink on
    edited August 2010

It's time like this I buy a lot of saronite ore and then turn it all into bullets/arrows. I'll either use them, or sell them for at least three times as much.

Beyond Normal on
    edited August 2010
    On Cho'gall shards were worth a few silver at best. All blues were better vendored than sharded.

captaink on
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    <3 unholy DK spec.

I went like +1.5k dps, compared to blood, in the exact same set of gear. And it's +3k-4k when aoe:ing. Always fun topping, or almost topping, meters when people bitch about your blue gear GS :D. It may have been due to me being a shitty blood dps, I dunno, but that doesn't change the fact that the fun level on my DK has multiplied.

Panda4You on
    edited August 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    On Cho'gall shards were worth a few silver at best. All blues were better vendored than sharded.

Shards aren't that bad on sargeras, but given the AH cut, almost every blue you see in heroics would be better to vendor than the DE.

LockeCole on
    edited August 2010
    Panda4You wrote: »
    <3 unholy DK spec.

I went like +1.5k dps, compared to blood, in the exact same set of gear. And it's +3k-4k when aoe:ing. Always fun topping, or almost topping, meters when people bitch about your blue gear GS :D. It may have been due to me being a shitty blood dps, I dunno, but that doesn't change the fact that the fun level on my DK has multiplied.

Unholy DPS is a lot of fun. TONS of AoE damage, plus a gargoyle and a perma ghoul. :D

Beyond Normal on
    edited August 2010
    So I don't know if you guys saw this already or not, but:

gallery_22811_17_48860.jpg

This is a good idea. Right now it also throws out the concept of increasing hit requirement per tier, unless they keep adding new lines every time they release another tier of instances (which I wasn't a fan of anyway).

End on
    edited August 2010
    That is great

captaink on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Excellent and long overdue.

-SPI- on
    edited August 2010
    but <image blocked> :)

LockeCole on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    Stuff of the Bear, Tiger, or Monkey usually sells good. That and stuff with any kind of spellpower. Everything is DE fodder.
    Be aware of the class & level breaks, too. There are certain levels where various classes suddenly gain the ability to wear shoulder and head armor, for example. AH weenies will price this stuff out of existence, so it's always easy to undercut them.

Fairchild on
    edited August 2010
    LockeCole wrote: »
    but <image blocked> :)

Oh sorry, I forgot some people are at restrictive work places.

Basically hit rating/expertise tooltips tell you stat requirement per level.

End on
  • daggahdaggah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Panda4You wrote: »
    <3 unholy DK spec.

Weird, I had the exact opposite reaction, RE: speccing blood to unholy at level 72. I don't know if it's a level difference or what, but my single target DPS (measured by skada against a level 65 target) went down 50%. I don't think I was using a bad rotation or spec....

daggah on
    edited August 2010
    I feel like low levels are a pretty poor indicator of a spec's potential.

Grundlestiltskin on
This discussion has been closed.