As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat]: Rock is Revamped, Scissors gets Scissors Power, Paper is NYI

• daggahdaggah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Come to think of it, when I was wailing on that target dummy, I didn't have my ghoul out...hmm. That could definitely count for a decent chunk of DPS.

Still, I think I'll continue leveling as blood until I hit 80. Obviously I'm going to have to switch to unholy when Cataclysm comes out anyway as I won't be able to continue using Blood as a DPS tree...

daggah on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    End wrote: »
    So I don't know if you guys saw this already or not, but:

gallery_22811_17_48860.jpg

This is a good idea. Right now it also throws out the concept of increasing hit requirement per tier, unless they keep adding new lines every time they release another tier of instances (which I wasn't a fan of anyway).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'increasing the hit requirement per tier.' I wasn't aware this was the case.

Javen on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    This is a good idea. Right now it also throws out the concept of increasing hit requirement per tier, unless they keep adding new lines every time they release another tier of instances (which I wasn't a fan of anyway).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'increasing the hit requirement per tier.' I wasn't aware this was the case.

It's their new idea for Cata raid bosses. Each new tier of bosses are going to require more hit/expertise to connect your attacks.

reVerse on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, it was in their big rundown of what stats will look like.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

It's their new idea for Cata raid bosses. Each new tier of bosses are going to require more hit/expertise to connect your attacks.

Its basically to allow for hit to scale with content without it sucking ass to juggle for - although with reforging working the way it does now I find that needing more hit for later tiers is kinda a meh idea now.

LockeCole on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure how it makes it not suck ass to juggle. At worst, it's even worse*, because you're trying to juggle to do previous tier hard modes at the same time.

...unless they're making it hard enough to get hit where juggling isn't even an option. But hit tends to be pretty valuable, so they'd basically have the rating scale badly so that people don't put all of their gems into hit.

* Other than class/race juggling being gone.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    LockeCole wrote: »

Its basically to allow for hit to scale with content without it sucking ass to juggle for - although with reforging working the way it does now I find that needing more hit for later tiers is kinda a meh idea now.

I like the idea simply from the standpoint that more hit as you move through tiers will always be a good thing. Right now it sucks to cap hit in one tier and then spend the rest of the expansion dancing around that cap. I think hit being a valuable stat on new gear is a good thing.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hate juggling for hit. I reached the hit cap on my mage in T8 gear, then dipped a little below it in T9 gear, and now I have too much hit with my T10 gear.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
    edited August 2010
    I love guild applications. A lot of people apply to my guild, citing "raiding" as a reason, even though we don't raid and aren't even a raiding guild. Usually these people don't respond in their own apps, and they eventually get buried. However, sometimes we get people who have befriended a guildmate and want to join. These are the people who get treated in the harshest fashion. In fact, they must answer a series of questions within the first day or we do absolutely nothing.

Our current app was asked these 10 questions.
    1) The bigger the staff the bigger the man, amirite?
    2) I usually drink 90oz of water either before I go to sleep, or during sleep.
    3) Have you ever deep fried an egg? If so, how cool was it?
    4) If someone was forcing you to get a tattoo that said "The last boss of this dungeon is a giant one-eyed snake", where would you put it?
    5) This a multiple part question. What is your favorite a) vanilla wow instance b) BC instance c) old spice?
    6) This one time I flirted with a female guild member, hoping she would come visit me in Michigan. Did she cross the line in saying "no"?
    7) Who is the current guild leader of DoD?
    8) How many times has Divx appeared in a Penny Arcade comic strip?
    9) These questions seem bogus, agree?
    10) Final question. Why are the machines trying to subdue us with video games and mass media before they exterminate us?

I really can't wait to see how they respond.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love guild applications. A lot of people apply to my guild, citing "raiding" as a reason, even though we don't raid and aren't even a raiding guild. Usually these people don't respond in their own apps, and they eventually get buried. However, sometimes we get people who have befriended a guildmate and want to join. These are the people who get treated in the harshest fashion. In fact, they must answer a series of questions within the first day or we do absolutely nothing.

4) If someone was forcing you to get a tattoo that said "The last boss of this dungeon is a giant one-eyed snake", where would you put it?
    5) This a multiple part question. What is your favorite a) vanilla wow instance b) BC instance c) old spice?
    6) This one time I flirted with a female guild member, hoping she would come visit me in Michigan. Did she cross the line in saying "no"?
    10) Final question. Why are the machines trying to subdue us with video games and mass media before they exterminate us?

My guild used to do questions like that. Ridiculous stuff like who would win in a fight between X and Batman, and the next question being "If you said X... how stupid are you to think Batman would lose?". We really couldn't care less about raiding resumes or experience. The questions were more designed to find out if you had a sense of humour and a decent personality. We would rather take a fun, awful player over a humourless robot any day.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited August 2010
    My guild used to do questions like that. Ridiculous stuff like who would win in a fight between X and Batman, and the next question being "If you said X... how stupid are you to think Batman would lose?". We really couldn't care less about raiding resumes or experience. The questions were more designed to find out if you had a sense of humour and a decent personality. We would rather take a fun, awful player over a humourless robot any day.

Ayep. We also want someone who isn't so serious about the game that they would fly off the handle over something stupid, like gear.

I mean, we even had a person get pissed at us over his app when we told him we weren't a raiding guild. He was like "you guys have a raid, you're a raiding guild!" and we(the officers) were just like "nope, not a raiding guild." Then he started to cuss us out via forums. Such a shining star.

Beyond Normal on
    edited August 2010
    There's a question most guilds seem to ask that really annoys me: "Why do you want to join [our guild] specifically". It's a really odd question, like they're fishing for compliments or something. Am I supposed to know something about you guys that makes you stand out? I always feel compelled to write some bullshit about how you guys seem to have a real good attitude or something, but I'd just prefer it if they didn't ask that questions because I don't like lying and most people seem to get terribly offended by blunt, factual answers. You're a raiding guild and you're recruiting. Why the fuck do you think I want to join your guild?

reVerse on
    edited August 2010
    We ask that specifically so we can weed out the people we don't want; the hardcore raiders.

Beyond Normal on
    edited August 2010
    There's a question most guilds seem to ask that really annoys me: "Why do you want to join [our guild] specifically". It's a really odd question, like they're fishing for compliments or something.

I don't think it's an odd question. It's one of the first question any company might ask you if you were applying for a job there. A company/guild would like to think there's something specific about them that you're interested in, not just that you're desperate for a job/raid guild.

I think there you're generally looking for a response like "I've run dungeons/hung out with a few of your members, you seem like a lot of fun, I'd like to join." You can also write off the people who write "I need a raid guild" and nothing else unless you're just desperate for people. It's a good filter question.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had something weird happen to me during my daily reg FoS run. As soon as everyone pops into the dungeon the priest says, "fags" then leaves, which leaves the rest of us with a puzzled look. I guess the priest's plan was to screw us over by leaving. The thing is that we were decently geared so we just went on ahead until a healer showed up. One never showed up so we ended up 4 manning it.

It was warrior(me), DK, ret pally, bear tank. With all the self healing of judgements and LoTP we did just fine. The only trouble came with the last boss due to his mirror ability. Me and the druid tank were the only ones to survive. It was a fun time.

tallgeeze on
    edited August 2010
    I had some guy do that last night in Blood Furnace. He said "god you guys are scrubs" and then dropped group. Me, being the enhancement I am, switched to my healer spec and we 4 manned it.

Beyond Normal on
    edited August 2010
    There's a question most guilds seem to ask that really annoys me: "Why do you want to join [our guild] specifically". It's a really odd question, like they're fishing for compliments or something.

I don't think it's an odd question. It's one of the first question any company might ask you if you were applying for a job there. A company/guild would like to think there's something specific about them that you're interested in, not just that you're desperate for a job/raid guild.

I think there you're generally looking for a response like "I've run dungeons/hung out with a few of your members, you seem like a lot of fun, I'd like to join." You can also write off the people who write "I need a raid guild" and nothing else unless you're just desperate for people. It's a good filter question.

That doesn't make any sense. If I wanted to hang out with a bunch of fun people I could go outside and hang out with a bunch of fun people. If I want to kill nasty dragons, I apply for a raiding guild.

reVerse on
    edited August 2010
    That doesn't make any sense. If I wanted to hang out with a bunch of fun people I could go outside and hang out with a bunch of fun people. If I want to kill nasty dragons, I apply for a raiding guild.

I think you're misunderstanding me. It's a filter for people who are actually interested in that guild and are willing to spend the time to craft a thoughtful response, versus people who are indiscriminately applying to every raid guild on the server.

Even if it's just BS, it shows you were willing to take the time to BS something plausible.

Consider this, I guess - someone who's just looking for a guild to raid with would conceivably leave the second a better offer came along. Someone who shows interest in some aspect of your guild beyond the simple fact that you raid would be more likely to stick around.

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited August 2010
    I had some guy do that last night in Blood Furnace. He said "god you guys are scrubs" and then dropped group. Me, being the enhancement I am, switched to my healer spec and we 4 manned it.

We had that in VH - we were so overgeared that we just did the whole instance without a healer - we actually had a new healer join during the final boss fight :lol:

LockeCole on
    edited August 2010

We had that in VH - we were so overgeared that we just did the whole instance without a healer - we actually had a new healer join during the final boss fight :lol:

When I just want to get my 2 frosties for the day, I love it when this happens.

Beyond Normal on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've noticed on my new realm guilds will advertise for puggers and say loot is on reserve (usually DBW). No one ever did that on my last realm. Is this particular brand of retardation widespread?

jackal on
    edited August 2010
    It happens on Dark Iron, but not a lot.

Beyond Normal on
    edited August 2010
    It happens on Dark Iron, but not a lot.

All the frigging time on Sargeras.

LockeCole on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, Blizzard is at Gamescom this week. Launch date incoming?

Halfmex on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I think you're misunderstanding me. It's a filter for people who are actually interested in that guild and are willing to spend the time to craft a thoughtful response, versus people who are indiscriminately applying to every raid guild on the server.

Even if it's just BS, it shows you were willing to take the time to BS something plausible.

Consider this, I guess - someone who's just looking for a guild to raid with would conceivably leave the second a better offer came along. Someone who shows interest in some aspect of your guild beyond the simple fact that you raid would be more likely to stick around.

I always say "Yo dawg, I heard you like raiding so I put some dragons with your dragon so you can handle it while you handle it."

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Halfmex wrote: »
    So, Blizzard is at Gamescom this week. Launch date incoming?

Isn't Blizzcon coming up soon? I think they would do it there.

tallgeeze on
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

See my application below. Just let me know which toon I need to transfer :)
    1) The bigger the staff the bigger the man, amirite? What is the girth of the staff?
    2) I usually drink 90oz of water either before I go to sleep, or during sleep. Peeing on yourself is like happiness. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth
    3) Have you ever deep fried an egg? If so, how cool was it? No. I did Tempura bacon once. It is as good as it sounds.
    4) If someone was forcing you to get a tattoo that said "The last boss of this dungeon is a giant one-eyed snake", where would you put it? left cheek
    5) This a multiple part question. What is your favorite a) vanilla wow instance b) BC instance c) old spice? A) VC. b) Kara. C) Yes.
    6) This one time I flirted with a female guild member, hoping she would come visit me in Michigan. Did she cross the line in saying "no"? Don't worry about her anymore. I will come visit you.
    7) Who is the current guild leader of DoD? I don't know and I am ashamed.
    8) How many times has Divx appeared in a Penny Arcade comic strip? See above
    9) These questions seem bogus, agree? You gotta weed out the riff raff somehow right?
    10) Final question. Why are the machines trying to subdue us with video games and mass media before they exterminate us? It's easier to cacth a fat lazy fleshling

Mutilate on
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure how it makes it not suck ass to juggle. At worst, it's even worse*, because you're trying to juggle to do previous tier hard modes at the same time.

...unless they're making it hard enough to get hit where juggling isn't even an option. But hit tends to be pretty valuable, so they'd basically have the rating scale badly so that people don't put all of their gems into hit.

I can tell you that currently it sucks to juggle hit in later tiers in wrath, because while the hit you need stays the same, the hit you get from gear is constantly going up. It's a lot more difficult to get right at that sweet spot when you're dealing with a bunch of little numbers, as opposed to several gigantic ones

Javen on
    edited August 2010
    Mutilate wrote: »

1) The bigger the staff the bigger the man, amirite? What is the girth of the staff?
    2) I usually drink 90oz of water either before I go to sleep, or during sleep. Peeing on yourself is like happiness. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth
    3) Have you ever deep fried an egg? If so, how cool was it? No. I did Tempura bacon once. It is as good as it sounds.
    4) If someone was forcing you to get a tattoo that said "The last boss of this dungeon is a giant one-eyed snake", where would you put it? left cheek
    5) This a multiple part question. What is your favorite a) vanilla wow instance b) BC instance c) old spice? A) VC. b) Kara. C) Yes.
    6) This one time I flirted with a female guild member, hoping she would come visit me in Michigan. Did she cross the line in saying "no"? Don't worry about her anymore. I will come visit you.
    9) These questions seem bogus, agree? You gotta weed out the riff raff somehow right?
    10) Final question. Why are the machines trying to subdue us with video games and mass media before they exterminate us? It's easier to cacth a fat lazy fleshling

Most of those are appropriate, and I'll forgive #7 and 8 since you need access to our forums to know that. Transfer ASAP!

Beyond Normal on
    edited August 2010

I can tell you that currently it sucks to juggle hit in later tiers in wrath, because while the hit you need stays the same, the hit you get from gear is constantly going up. It's a lot more difficult to get right at that sweet spot when you're dealing with a bunch of little numbers, as opposed to several gigantic ones

Err did you mean the other way around? I find it's more difficult to hit the sweet spot with the bigger numbers - or am I just misreading you.

In any case - it kind of sucks, but reforging already fixes this problem pretty well, I know they already had a 80/81/82/83 and boss level breakdown for hit, need to log in and take a looksee at what else they've changed in the beta.

LockeCole on
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Most of those are appropriate, and I'll forgive #7 and 8 since you need access to our forums to know that. Transfer ASAP!

Where am I transfering too?

Mutilate on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Ayep. We also want someone who isn't so serious about the game that they would fly off the handle over something stupid, like gear.

Gear is such a stupid thing to get bent out of shape over in the current incarnation of WoW. Getting gear is jokingly easy. Shit, you can get ilvl 219 gear for running non-heroic ICC 5-mans. You get 232 gear for running the heroic versions. I made and spent over 100 Triumph badges this weekend, and I wasn't even trying that hard.

You can get completely decked out, almost head to toe, in 251/264 gear without stepping foot in a single raid.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited August 2010

Where am I transfering too?

Dark Iron, alliance.

Beyond Normal on
    edited August 2010

Err did you mean the other way around? I find it's more difficult to hit the sweet spot with the bigger numbers - or am I just misreading you.

In any case - it kind of sucks, but reforging already fixes this problem pretty well, I know they already had a 80/81/82/83 and boss level breakdown for hit, need to log in and take a looksee at what else they've changed in the beta.

Yeah, sorry - strike that, reverse it

Javen on
    edited August 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Gear is such a stupid thing to get bent out of shape over in the current incarnation of WoW. Getting gear is jokingly easy. Shit, you can get ilvl 219 gear for running non-heroic ICC 5-mans. You get 232 gear for running the heroic versions. I made and spent over 100 Triumph badges this weekend, and I wasn't even trying that hard.

You can get completely decked out, almost head to toe, in 251/264 gear without stepping foot in a single raid.

While this is technically true, I'd say more like 232/245 + crafted 264s... you can get frost emblems without raiding, but it would take an awfully long time to get enough gear that way. Still, yes, gear is pretty stupid to spaz out over since if you are in a guild that is killing stuff in ICC, then you will get gear.

LockeCole on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Got voted out for the first time yesterday. :( Heroic HoR, of course.

I mean, sure, people dying is generally the healer's fault...but when the dps goes from full to dead in an eyeblink, I'm thinking there may be other people to blame.

I know they didn't finish with a new healer...I just wish I could find out if they wiped some more or not.

Doctor Detroit on
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Screw rock, I'm running with Scissors.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In todays news, I lose the role on NES to a rogue who did 938 dps, this trinket is really starting to piss me off.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In todays news, I lose the role on NES to a rogue who did 938 dps, this trinket is really starting to piss me off.

How else is he supposed to break 1K if he can't get any upgrades?

jackal on
    edited August 2010
    jackal wrote: »

How else is he supposed to break 1K if he can't get any upgrades?

It's context I guess. If it's a T9 geared pugger pulling 938 dps I could understand the frustration. If it's a fresh 80 it's more understandable...

Nevermind, there's really no excuse for doing that kind of dps in a heroic.

Grundlestiltskin on
This discussion has been closed.