As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat]: Rock is Revamped, Scissors gets Scissors Power, Paper is NYI

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    forty wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »
    Right. But it's easier to hit that exact number with relatively smaller pieces. In tier 10, each piece of hit gear is a vast swing of the pendulum to either side of the mark.
    I'd rather be 20 hit rating over cap and have more room to work with gear than to have to have accuracy stats on half my gear and scrape and pray to the RNG to keep getting hit pieces.

Strangely, I agree with forty for once.

To be fair to captaink though, I guess 10man gear isn't itemized too well.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    On my tank I get vote-kicked all the time. Normally because I just let the DPS die when they are being retarded, which is often. No mister boomkin, I'm not going to save you when you've aoe'd before I've had time to get threat.

noobert on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh!
    As has been stated in the main thread, combat numbers are continuing to be evaluated. Feedback on Outland and Northrend are actually very much appreciated as the new numbers do reflect on those areas as well. It is highly likely that we will be bumping up experience gains in Northrend to match the increase(s) we made in Outland when Northrend launched.

Im sure this was assumed, but its a nice little thing to hear at least.

Kai_San on
    edited August 2010
    So guess what I just got.
    ravenlord.jpg

End on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    End wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »
    Right. But it's easier to hit that exact number with relatively smaller pieces. In tier 10, each piece of hit gear is a vast swing of the pendulum to either side of the mark.
    I'd rather be 20 hit rating over cap and have more room to work with gear than to have to have accuracy stats on half my gear and scrape and pray to the RNG to keep getting hit pieces.

Strangely, I agree with forty for once.

To be fair to captaink though, I guess 10man gear isn't itemized too well.
    Yeah, I was going to mention that I feel the same as you and haven't had these supposed struggles with hit at T10. So my DK has 280 hit rating (263 soft cap) and 29 expertise (26 cap) now? Not a big deal. It's certainly a lot better than it was trying to get capped in Naxx/Ulduar days and having to glut on hit/expertise pieces.

Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get a "free" 5-10 expertise through talents anymore in the new trees.

forty on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Your heroic t10 chest? Grats! It's a lovely colour, but a bit too halloween-y for my tastes.

I needed anime to post. on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Oh!
    As has been stated in the main thread, combat numbers are continuing to be evaluated. Feedback on Outland and Northrend are actually very much appreciated as the new numbers do reflect on those areas as well. It is highly likely that we will be bumping up experience gains in Northrend to match the increase(s) we made in Outland when Northrend launched.

Im sure this was assumed, but its a nice little thing to hear at least.
    On the other hand, downtime will be going up as well (depending on spec, mostly).

forty on
    edited August 2010

Your heroic t10 chest? Grats! It's a lovely colour, but a bit too halloween-y for my tastes.

I hate you. :(

Edit: Uh...I guess that's an accomplishment too, but not really what I meant. ;-p

Edit2: Took something like 170 kills to get that damn mount.

End on
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I actually JUST finished those quests
    In case you can't see the text, it's 3 badlands NPCs, Theldurin the Lost, Martek the Exiled and Lucien Tosslewrench, who each have a different story about Deathwing appearing in Azeroth. The first is told by Theldurin, who punches Deathwing in the face, the second is Lucien, who makes himself giant and throws Deathwing to Kalimdor, and the third is Martek, who after picking up a hot babe, rides his flying motorcycle to Deathwing and beats him in a knife fight.

Javen on
  • AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Snip!

In my old guild we ran that place when we were going through all the BC heroics and one of the people was a druid who had the moonstone and that mount dropped. The druid won it and he quit playing WoW two weeks later.

Aeyther on
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So after 5? or so months, we finally killed Heroic LK last night. It was after enrage timer, and he was being kited around the platform. The only reason we could kill him was because he stopped to cast defile and channel vile spirits.

My god it was epic.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    So after 5? or so months, we finally killed Heroic LK last night. It was after enrage timer, and he was being kited around the platform. The only reason we could kill him was because he stopped to cast defile and channel vile spirits.

My god it was epic.

After enrage kills are awesome.

Aeyther on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh god damn it internet. Have you ruined my mind so much that when I see a video called "The day Deathwing Came" I immediately think horrifying things?!

initiatefailure on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aeyther wrote: »
    KafkaAU wrote: »

My god it was epic.

After enrage kills are awesome.

When I was raiding, we killed Yogg Saron after a total wipe. One of the warlocks imps was alive after everyone else and gave the final blow.

Wassermelone on
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That would have been a heartbreaking wipe (0.01% or something). And I thought our 11.7 (1.7% really since its over at 10%) on Sunday night was bad.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh god damn it internet. Have you ruined my mind so much that when I see a video called "The day Deathwing Came" I immediately think horrifying things?!

Where's Caedere?

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Where's Caedere?

Busy drawing it as we speak.

L Ron Howard on
    edited August 2010

Where's Caedere?

Busy drawing it as we speak.

err :?

Although she actually has someone else draw that stuff. ;-)

End on
  • Alien QueenAlien Queen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Snip!

Grats!

I'm hoping to get one myself someday, it's imo one of the better looking ground mounts. (My druid is far too young right now, but I'm aiming to snag one before Cat hits the shelves.)

What level of gear should I get before I'd be able to solo that place comfortably? (Going in as feral...)

Alien Queen on
    3DS: 4742 5205 9601 - Boss Lady - Pokemon Y - In game name: Kira
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    I actually JUST finished those quests
    In case you can't see the text, it's 3 badlands NPCs, Theldurin the Lost, Martek the Exiled and Lucien Tosslewrench, who each have a different story about Deathwing appearing in Azeroth. The first is told by Theldurin, who punches Deathwing in the face, the second is Lucien, who makes himself giant and throws Deathwing to Kalimdor, and the third is Martek, who after picking up a hot babe, rides his flying motorcycle to Deathwing and beats him in a knife fight.

This is both awful and awesome.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited August 2010
    Snip!

Grats!

I'm hoping to get one myself someday, it's imo one of the better looking ground mounts. (My druid is far too young right now, but I'm aiming to snag one before Cat hits the shelves.)

What level of gear should I get before I'd be able to solo that place comfortably? (Going in as feral...)

I don't think it'd take that much as feral.

My druid is only level 75 though, so I was just killing it on my warlock (with my druid doing the summon).

End on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As I recall, druids soloed him at 70, so one assumes that you could do it in whatever feral gear you leveled up in. Although avoidance got kind of nuts at the high end of BC gear, so who knows.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, while doing PvP achievements out of a lack of better things to do, and failing most of the time, it hit me why said PvP achievements suck so much. Unlike most PvE achievements, PvP achievements come at the exclusion of someone else getting them (even those on your team), or rely heavily on luck. I hope Blizzard finds a way to design BGs that don't have shitty achievements and possibly redesign the existing ones.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The druids who soloed him as 70 were in raid gear though. I doubt a green/blue geared 70 could solo him mainly because of the trash.

Opty on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, the trash is a lot harder than the boss itself.

End on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fucking douchebags that boot you from a group after you're saved just in case you roll against them on an item that probably won't drop anyway. Thanks for wasting my time you worthless piece of shit.

-SPI- on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heh, so I'm now tanking a heroic PoS with this paladin/priest combo that I think is dual boxing. They failed to both dps and heal effectively, and now they seem to be on strike and refusing to continue the instance.

And the hunter "doesn't kick people from groups," so we're at an impasse.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    After some discussion with Rorus in the Druid thread, I was thinking about the talent system and how useless it really is. It's all about choice, and by that I mean video game "choice" where there's one right solution and one wrong solution. That's just the way it goes with things like this, where there's a way to math up the right choice. There's shit loads of mandatory talents that you have to take no matter what or you're just plain not competitive.

What I would like to see done with the talent system is basically get rid of it the way it currently is. Instead of spending points at level 10 to get 2% increased shadow damage and another point at level 11 to get 4% increased shadow damage, why not just give all this crap to you automatically as you level as part of your specialization. You'd gain all the mandatory talents like this, so that at level 80 (85 in Cata) if you're specced Shadow you'd have 10% increased shadow damage, your Mind Flay refreshes the duration of your Shadow Word: Pain, you can disperse to gain mana and reduce damage taken and so on and so forth.

After that, what they should do is implement a talent tree that is basically what research from StarCraft 2's campaign was. Every, say, five levels you get a talent point, and you have to spend that on one of two talents. They'd be fairly big stuff, like choosing between -30% mana cost for your SWP and DP or -30% mana cost for your MF and MB (numbers pulled out of wherever). There'd still probably be mathcrafting to some degree, especially if you made them too similar. Or, since Shadow is getting a haste aura in Cata, it could be something like choosing between a haste aura or a crit aura. Again, the numbers should be made in such a way that neither choice would be blatantly better than the other, and probably would depend on individual stats of people affected by the aura.

Anyway, that's just what I think would be a more interesting talent system. It probably wouldn't work with WoW this late in the game, so maybe in a different game it would work.

edit: The mana reduction example is a really bad one. How about instead a choice between two new spells: one of them direct damage one and the other a damage-over-time spell. Both would equal out to roughly the same amount of DPS, but it'd be your personal choice which type of spell you like the most.
    edit2: Or on similar tracks, a long cool down spell that does big boom every now and then versus a spammable spell that has nice sustained damage but not much in terms of burst.

reVerse on
    edited August 2010
    That's asking for a level of design balance that's basically impossible to achieve, that every different "choice" wind up producing a completely equivalent outcome in terms of the requirements for every situation.

There are plenty of choices in the talent trees, it's just that the playerbase collectively is smart enough to observe and model class' performance and figure out which choices are the most successful at particular objectives.

Even in the examples you're talking about (haste vs. crit aura, DoT vs. direct damage, which spell to reduce the cost of), we would quickly discover which was the most effective in various circumstances and we'd be in the same position we're in now.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I feel like you get a lot of that kind of choice with glyphs. They could do a bit more with the talent trees though, a lot of them seem to be "fill it all up, throw these last 4 points away on whatever" which doesn't seem to be quite what they're wanting from it. But a lot of them seem to be mere sketches of where they want the trees to be heading anyway. It's a beta, stuff is changing constantly.

-SPI- on
    edited August 2010
    I actually think the setup they're moving toward, where each class provides 3-4 different buffs and can choose two at a given time, is about the best that can be asked for. I don't really care that every unique snowflake talent spec isn't equally useful, because understanding how to create a build that will be successful at whatever task is a big part of the game.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's asking for a level of design balance that's basically impossible to achieve, that every different "choice" wind up producing a completely equivalent outcome in terms of the requirements for every situation.

You're right. Another way to do it is to bake all the DPS stuff in the specialty as I said, and then have the "research tree" choices be between stuff like "your Fade now removes all crowd control effects" vs "duration of all crowd control effects on you is reduced by 33%". There'd still likely be a choice that is better than the other, but it wouldn't be quite as easy to math it out.

reVerse on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just saw some gold selling bots make their URLs. Kinda cool.
    First, they lined up in a perfectly straight line.
    They then did some voodoo magic (aka hax) and formed a giant "D" looking thing in the air. It was a horribly malformed "D," but that's as close as I can call it.
    Then they floated quickly over in front of the AH where they sat and twirled, then eventually /sleeped.
    Kinda cool.

L Ron Howard on
  • SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There were some on Ravenholdt yesterday, about 20 male orc warlocks, who made a giant heart shape in midair in front of the Orgrimmar auction house.

They held that pose for about a minute and then went back to advertising their website.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was curious come the pre event for Cataclysm where the rep for Goblins and Worven appear could you do the Argent dailies for the rep token and turn them in when they appear at the tourney?

Brainleech on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I was curious come the pre event for Cataclysm where the rep for Goblins and Worven appear could you do the Argent dailies for the rep token and turn them in when they appear at the tourney?
    Chances are they won't add them. I'd grind Runecloth until you know for sure.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Chances are they won't add them. I'd grind Runecloth until you know for sure.

They confirmed a while ago that worgen and goboblin faction reps wont be at the argent tournament.

I will assume they will make a daily grind or whatnot to improve upon the runecloth method though.

polloface on
  • LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does anyone have any idea if they're going to be updating the scroll of ressurection when cataclysm comes out?

I've stopped playing a few months ago. When Cataclysm comes out assuming I am willing to pay for a month, can we get him to send me a scroll and recieve 1 month of free game time for him and 10 days of free Wrath of the Lich King on my account?

Also I can't decide what to play at 85. I've got a druid and a shaman, but my main spec was resto shaman so I'd try something new, and I don't really like either enhancement or elemental.

I've raided as a bear druid (which I kind of enjoyed), cat druid (which I kind of enjoyed), resto druid (I've been doing alright raid healing, but it felt indirect), moonkin druid (which I really like in theory since it's a lazer thowing chicken, but in practice it's awkward and I've been doing much better as a cat), resto shaman (which I've done the most, I felt like I was always running out of mana, even with full 251/264 gear but I've been doing great anyhow) and enhancement shaman (way too squishy in raids, since your survivability skills aren't viable there).

...So my best options are any combination of two out of the four druid specs. Feral/Feral is kind of awkward since I would basically need each piece of gear twice but enchanted differently. On the plus side, I could use tank pieces for a DPS offspec, or DPS pieces for a tank offspec, to fill out the missing slots.

Melee DPS really isn't the most needed raid role though. And I don't know about my main spec being tank. Maybe I could go with feral/feral and see which one I like or people need the most.

Ugh. Decisions, decisions.

Logicow on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What they say and do are two different things but then I really don't feel like playing the runecloth game ever again

Brainleech on
This discussion has been closed.