As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat]: Rock is Revamped, Scissors gets Scissors Power, Paper is NYI

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    That's asking for a level of design balance that's basically impossible to achieve, that every different "choice" wind up producing a completely equivalent outcome in terms of the requirements for every situation.

You're right. Another way to do it is to bake all the DPS stuff in the specialty as I said, and then have the "research tree" choices be between stuff like "your Fade now removes all crowd control effects" vs "duration of all crowd control effects on you is reduced by 33%". There'd still likely be a choice that is better than the other, but it wouldn't be quite as easy to math it out.

Isn't this essentially where they are going with it now - the only problem is, they still have too many mandatory talents.

The best tree I can think of is the combat rogue tree. That has 4 points spare (at the moment) to which you can put into stuff which probably will have very little impact on PvE dps, but could be a choice. I.e. 50% more armor or sprint breaking snares.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Fucking douchebags that boot you from a group after you're saved just in case you roll against them on an item that probably won't drop anyway. Thanks for wasting my time you worthless piece of shit.
    If some asshole goes "I'm here for X so don't roll" it's better to just play along to keep things calm and needroll when that shit drops, and weather the drama from there. Fuckers who think the pug is there to carry them really grates my mind.

Panda4You on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    That's asking for a level of design balance that's basically impossible to achieve, that every different "choice" wind up producing a completely equivalent outcome in terms of the requirements for every situation.

You're right. Another way to do it is to bake all the DPS stuff in the specialty as I said, and then have the "research tree" choices be between stuff like "your Fade now removes all crowd control effects" vs "duration of all crowd control effects on you is reduced by 33%". There'd still likely be a choice that is better than the other, but it wouldn't be quite as easy to math it out.

Isn't this essentially where they are going with it now - the only problem is, they still have too many mandatory talents.

The best tree I can think of is the combat rogue tree. That has 4 points spare (at the moment) to which you can put into stuff which probably will have very little impact on PvE dps, but could be a choice. I.e. 50% more armor or sprint breaking snares.

Yeah, it's kinda sorta where they're going. I'm just suggesting that you gain the mandatory talents automatically as part of your specialization as you level up, and you only gain 5 or so talent points and spend them on binary choices like "Your Sprint removes movement impairing effects" versus "Reduces cooldown of your Sprint by 50%". You get one or the other, like with the tech research in Starcraft 2.

reVerse on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, the real problem is that DPS is pretty easy to model. You don't even have to model it all that accurately to restrict the "choices" available in talent trees.

What we're currently bad at modeling is the contribution utility/survival abilities make to the raid. Stuff like range talents, mobility talents or anti-CC talents make what should be a measurable contribution to DPS on a lot of fights, but they do so in a way that's really hard to model so the simulations just ignore them. They also (probably/usually) add so little in comparison to talents that even very incrementally increase damage that it's hardly ever worth it to take them.

Like Kafka says, if anything there should be fewer scalar-type talents and more random utility/survival things, so that you can get all the "necessary" DPS talents and have plenty of room for filler. Even in the trees (like combat rogue) where there are spare points, where those points fall in the tree winds up meaning that you can only choose between one or two talents, and lots of the time even that "choice" is obvious.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We've had sindragosa touring dalaran a lot lately, too.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • 28682868 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was running laps around dal when i saw this
    4900993838_e53531c90d_b.jpg

o_O ?

I feel like Towelie right now.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    2868 wrote: »
    I was running laps around dal when i saw this
    4900993838_e53531c90d_b.jpg

o_O ?

I feel like Towelie right now.

It's a trick involving a Frenzyheart daily. Saw someone doing it with Super Simian Sphere and the Gordok Ogre suit.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I want that trinket so bad but the realms go down in a hour and I feel like I don't want to get really disapointed for wasting all that time

Brainleech on
    edited August 2010
    Sigh, six mounts to go. These stupid argent tournament dailies are starting to get really tiresome.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sigh, six mounts to go. These stupid argent tournament dailies are starting to get really tiresome.

Well I have been doing them for a year? it takes me less than a hour to do all 9 3 times

Brainleech on
    edited August 2010
    Oh, I do them quickly enough. It's just that, for all the argent mounts, you need eleven hundred marks or something. I don't actually need all of them to get the achievement (and I'll probably skip those fugly hippogryphs), but still.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So last night I was flying to ICC to get ready for our raid, and I took the ledge in the upper part of the violet citadel when I noticed a lock mount up on a ground mount run to the edge and jump off dalaran. I was on my 310 with crusader following him down to see if he was gonna try something but nope, splat on the ground. I can only assume he hit the wrong macro and wasnt thinking but damn, I loled so much!

polloface on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had a mage try to kill me in mid air once. He died when he hit the ground.

Think about that one for a second.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    bowen wrote: »

Some times you just can't find the slowfall button fast enough.

Or blink.

Or iceblock.

BUTTONS ARE HARD K.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Or blink.

Or iceblock.

BUTTONS ARE HARD K.

Clearly he'd pinned his hopes on his instant queues in LFD as DPS, but the tank didn't accept the invite before he cratered.

Bobble on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, I do them quickly enough. It's just that, for all the argent mounts, you need eleven hundred marks or something. I don't actually need all of them to get the achievement (and I'll probably skip those fugly hippogryphs), but still.

There's something wrong with you if you think the hippogryphs are ugly.

Regina Fong on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't like the argent hippogryph.

I like the cenerian hippogryph though.

I guess it's the colors.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bobble wrote: »

Or blink.

Or iceblock.

BUTTONS ARE HARD K.

Clearly he'd pinned his hopes on his instant queues in LFD as DPS, but the tank didn't accept the invite before he cratered.

:lol:

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    polloface wrote: »
    So last night I was flying to ICC to get ready for our raid, and I took the ledge in the upper part of the violet citadel when I noticed a lock mount up on a ground mount run to the edge and jump off dalaran. I was on my 310 with crusader following him down to see if he was gonna try something but nope, splat on the ground. I can only assume he hit the wrong macro and wasnt thinking but damn, I loled so much!

When I would farm for herbs I used to have to land my 280 flyer and then pick in storm peaks. Well one time on the northeast end of the zone I canceled my mount before I landed, sending myself soaring over the eddge. Came so close to landing on ledges during my minute long fall but somehow landed in the ocean.

I have also jumped off dal with a land mount too though. Switching keybinds is lol.

Kai_San on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So if I'm sitting at around 19k gold and my sole purpose for playing at this point in time is to make money, does it make sense to PL a JC now or should I wait for Cataclysm?

I would appreciate an additional revenue stream, but I don't want to sink 2-3k into JC to find that the market is dead until the expansion.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited August 2010
    You'd have to do some market research for your realm, I think.

It's okay on my realm still, but it's not as good as it was a month ago.

End on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's probably still worth it to be sitting at or near 450 when the expansion hits. Unless you think they're going to make low level JC radically easier.

captaink on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    People are still getting new gear and still need new gems. I still sell gems on my server, and people gobble em up.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Did...did they nerf Classic blacksmith leveling?

Over the weekend I got my baby warrior to 57, and then just did a few circuits of un'goro. She hit 300 in Blacksmithing with plenty of Thorium to spare. No special patterns were picked up (I just grabbed two of the Imperial armor sets from Gadgetzan), and I skipped the Mithril Kid series as well as the specialization quests.

I then hit 58 on her and then stepped into HFP. By Monday night she was 65. I think I'm definitely going to hit 350 blacksmithing on her before I get to level 68 for Northrend, but I also think Adamantite is going to be a larger cockblock now than Thorium was in Azeroth O_o

Nobody on
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not that I'm aware of. They may have reduced the amount of thorium required for things? The only other thing I can think of is a few passes of Un'goro is a lot quicker now that you don't have to whale away on a node for-freaking-ever.

Pirusu on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah one thing I definitely noticed was that Un'goro was stacked with Thorium this time through. It may be because nobody else was farming it, but I was seeing a lot of new nodes on each circle on an epic land mount.

It just shocked me because I remembered last time I leveled a Blacksmith, Mithril was easier than Thorium, but this time Mithril was what held me back the longest. I was through the Thorium part in maybe 2-3 hours.

Nobody on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A few months ago they boosted Thorium spawn rates, especially un Un'goro. My server prices per stack halved.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I feel like people are wanting Cata to change WoW into a game completely different than WoW. Maybe people are just bored with WoW and can't admit it, but a bunch of "players proposed changes" are basically the equivalent of making an entirely different game.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's just what Cata really is, WoW 2.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hrmm - anyone want to do me a favor and rip the info on the cata collectors edition? Stupid filter.

LockeCole on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Basically this. Though, I've been calling it "WoW 1.5", as I think there really will be a WoW 2 at some point (after we get WarCraft 4, which is at least five years away).

Cata really is a total re-invention of WoW, even Blizzard has admitted that. So it's really not shocking that the players are going with the theme and proposing what could be considered radical changes.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • SentretSentret Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Hrmm - anyone want to do me a favor and rip the info on the cata collectors edition? Stupid filter.
    IRVINE, Calif., Aug 17, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE)

Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced plans for a limited-release Collector's Edition of World of Warcraft(R): Cataclysm(TM), the third expansion for the world's most popular subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game,* World of Warcraft. The special Collector's Edition package, which will only be available at retail stores, will include the following exclusive bonus items in addition to the game disc:

-- Art of the Cataclysm art book, featuring 176 pages of never-before-seen images from the archives of the Blizzard Entertainment cinematics department and the World of Warcraft development team, as well as progressive visuals from multiple stages of development.

-- Exclusive in-game pet: he may not be a breaker of worlds just yet, but Lil' Deathwing will still proudly accompany heroes on their struggle to save Azeroth from his much, much larger counterpart.

-- Behind-the-scenes DVD with over an hour of developer interviews and commentaries, as well as a special Warcraft(R) retrospective examining the rich gaming history of the Warcraft universe.

-- Soundtrack featuring 10 epic new tracks from Cataclysm, including exclusive bonus tracks.

-- Special-edition mouse pad depicting Deathwing menacing the ravaged continents of Azeroth.

-- World of Warcraft Trading Card Game cards, including a 60-card starter deck from the Wrathgate series, two extended-art cards, and two Collector's Edition-exclusive hero cards, marking the first appearance of goblin and worgen heroes in the TCG.

The first two World of Warcraft expansions, The Burning Crusade(R) and Wrath of the Lich King(R), each shattered PC game sales records upon their release. In Cataclysm, the face of Azeroth will be forever altered by the return of the corrupted Dragon Aspect Deathwing. Players will explore once-familiar areas of the world that have now been reshaped by the devastation and filled with new adventures. In an effort to survive the planet-shattering cataclysm, two new playable races -- worgen and goblins -- will join the struggle between the Alliance and the Horde. As players journey to the new level cap of 85, they'll discover newly revealed locations, acquire new levels of power, and come face to face with Deathwing in a battle to determine the fate of the world.

The beta test for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is currently underway. To set up a Battle.net account and sign up for a chance to participate, please visit the official Battle.net website at http://www.battle.net.

The World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Collector's Edition will be available on DVD-ROM for Windows(R) XP/Windows Vista(R)/Windows(R) 7 and Macintosh(R) at a suggested retail price of $79.99. The release date and other details for the game will be announced in the months ahead. For more information on World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, please visit the official website at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm.

Sentret on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ALCHEMY

I had 200g on my priest.

Three days later, 1200g! The power of alchemy.
    Stoneblood flasks for 30g each helped a lot. heh.

SniperGuy on
    Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Basically this. Though, I've been calling it "WoW 1.5", as I think there really will be a WoW 2 at some point (after we get WarCraft 4, which is at least five years away).

Cata really is a total re-invention of WoW, even Blizzard has admitted that. So it's really not shocking that the players are going with the theme and proposing what could be considered radical changes.

I don't see that at all. A refinement, sure, but not a re-invention.

Wet Bandit on
    edited August 2010
    I'll probably get this CE just for the Lil' Deathwing pet.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited August 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

Seriously? Talent trees completely changing, several classes getting completely shuffled around. The stat system being completely retooled. The entirety of Azeroth being re-done.

That's not refinement, that's re-invention.

GnomeTank on
    edited August 2010
    I'd call it a really significant overhaul.

End on
  • BluefyreBluefyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    ALCHEMY

I had 200g on my priest.

Three days later, 1200g! The power of alchemy.
    Stoneblood flasks for 30g each helped a lot. heh.

I haven't made a copper off Alchemy since vanilla when I was selling healing/mana pots to afford my first mount and epic mount. Maybe I should get back on that. :p

Bluefyre on
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

Seriously? Talent trees completely changing, several classes getting completely shuffled around. The stat system being completely retooled. The entirety of Azeroth being re-done.

That's not refinement, that's re-invention.

It's still almost the exact same game. The same classes will be performing the same roles in almost the same ways doing almost the same things. There's some change in the margins, no doubt, but not enough to think of Cataclysm as a sequel or a total re-invention.

Wet Bandit on
This discussion has been closed.