As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat]: Rock is Revamped, Scissors gets Scissors Power, Paper is NYI

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    End wrote: »
    I'd call it a really significant overhaul.

I can compromise on this. A significant overhaul. I still think refinement is way too light of a way to describe Cata though.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, refinement doesn't really do justice the large amount of change we're seeing.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bluefyre wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    ALCHEMY

I had 200g on my priest.

Three days later, 1200g! The power of alchemy.
    Stoneblood flasks for 30g each helped a lot. heh.

I haven't made a copper off Alchemy since vanilla when I was selling healing/mana pots to afford my first mount and epic mount. Maybe I should get back on that. :p

I've made a lot of money from gem transmutes. 20g scarlet ruby (when I can buy low), 20g eternal fire = 100g cardinal ruby (or 2, haven't had more than 2 proc yet) which gets cut into runed/bold selling for 125-150g on my server. Easy daily money.

My understanding is that profit from potions/flasks is somewhat less reliable since it tends to be tied to progression, but I can't say I've really tried.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ALCHEMY

I had 200g on my priest.

I haven't made a copper off Alchemy since vanilla when I was selling healing/mana pots to afford my first mount and epic mount. Maybe I should get back on that. :p

I've made a lot of money from gem transmutes. 20g scarlet ruby (when I can buy low), 20g eternal fire = 100g cardinal ruby (or 2, haven't had more than 2 proc yet) which gets cut into runed/bold selling for 125-150g on my server. Easy daily money.

It's a great day when you proc 5.

captaink on
  • BluefyreBluefyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ALCHEMY

I had 200g on my priest.

My understanding is that profit from potions/flasks is somewhat less reliable since it tends to be tied to progression, but I can't say I've really tried.

Thanks for the info. Need to start saving up for the 310% flying skill.

Bluefyre on
  • formatformat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A sequel, such as WoW 2.0, implies that it is not backwards compatible. Cataclysm is the same game with the same classes with new rules.

If WoW 2.0 were to exist (probably not for another 10 years, if it even happens) it will have different classes and your old characters won't come forward into the new game.

Cataclysm cuts down a lot of the bloat in the talent trees, fixes what blizzard thinks is broken with classes, fixes all the broken zones. It really paves the way for new expansions.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alchemy is one of the better designed professions in my opinion. It has a good daily cooldown for a limited amount of easy money, and several meaningful specializations.

jackal on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So few months ago my guild was stuck on LK 25 normal with no progress at all into phase 2 and my 10man drake group disbanded with few achieves left to go because half the group (including both the tanks and both the healers) decided to go Horde to get into a horde 25 guild. I felt like I will never get a LK hard kill so I transfered servers into a guild that had 10 hardmodes down on 25. Never did get a replacement 10m group. One thing I didn't know though is that most of the my new guild had large amounts of burnout feeling and many quit. So we had to "re-learn" hard sindragosa, then progress through hard putricide, then start lk attempts. Meanwhile, the buff went from 20 to 30% and my old guild (which had a bunch of really good players + a bunch of really bad players, and the baddies killed us every time on lk) merged with another similar guild and now only the good players get to raid from what I understand, so.. they've totally caught up to where they are now about the same progress as us on heroic lk!
    Not sure how I feel about that, a bit strange and sad the turnaround happened after I left.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cataclysm Collector's Edition Announced.
    WORLD OF WARCRAFT®: CATACLYSM™ COLLECTOR'S EDITION ANNOUNCED

IRVINE, Calif – Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced plans for a limited-release Collector's Edition of World of Warcraft®: Cataclysm™, the third expansion for the world's most popular subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game,* World of Warcraft. The special Collector's Edition package, which will only be available at retail stores, will include the following exclusive bonus items in addition to the game disc:

* Art of the Cataclysm art book, featuring 176 pages of never-before-seen images from the archives of the Blizzard Entertainment cinematics department and the World of Warcraft development team, as well as progressive visuals from multiple stages of development.
    * Exclusive in-game pet: he may not be a breaker of worlds just yet, but Lil' Deathwing will still proudly accompany heroes on their struggle to save Azeroth from his much, much larger counterpart.
    * Behind-the-scenes DVD with over an hour of developer interviews and commentaries, as well as a special Warcraft® retrospective examining the rich gaming history of the Warcraft universe.
    * Soundtrack featuring 10 epic new tracks from Cataclysm, including exclusive bonus tracks.
    * Special-edition mouse pad depicting Deathwing menacing the ravaged continents of Azeroth.
    * World of Warcraft Trading Card Game cards, including a 60-card starter deck from the Wrathgate series, two extended-art cards, and two Collector's Edition-exclusive hero cards, marking the first appearance of goblin and worgen heroes in the TCG.

The first two World of Warcraft expansions, The Burning Crusade® and Wrath of the Lich King®, each shattered PC game sales records upon their release. In Cataclysm, the face of Azeroth will be forever altered by the return of the corrupted Dragon Aspect Deathwing. Players will explore once-familiar areas of the world that have now been reshaped by the devastation and filled with new adventures. In an effort to survive the planet-shattering cataclysm, two new playable races -- worgen and goblins -- will join the struggle between the Alliance and the Horde. As players journey to the new level cap of 85, they'll discover newly revealed locations, acquire new levels of power, and come face to face with Deathwing in a battle to determine the fate of the world.

The beta test for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is currently underway. To set up a Battle.net account and sign up for a chance to participate, please visit the official Battle.net website at http://www.battle.net.

The World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Collector's Edition will be available on DVD-ROM for Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 and Macintosh® at a suggested retail price of $79.99. The release date and other details for the game will be announced in the months ahead. For more information on World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, please visit the official website at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm.
    Link: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?100817

The "Will only be available at retail stores" bit worries me. Are they talking brick and motor?

Undead Scottsman on
    edited August 2010
    No, I think they mean you have to buy it as a hard copy, non-digital. I am sure Amazon and places like that will get CE's.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited August 2010
    I am going to get my gem farm up and going soon. Alchemy waiting to be leveled to 450, JC dailies started this weekend. Does everyone transmute Cardinal Rubies? Could I make better money transmuting a different gem like a Kings Amber?

format on
    edited August 2010
    format wrote: »
    I am going to get my gem farm up and going soon. Alchemy waiting to be leveled to 450, JC dailies started this weekend. Does everyone transmute Cardinal Rubies? Could I make better money transmuting a different gem like a Kings Amber?

I would assume that it depends on your particular server's economy. Bold Cardinal Ruby might sell for 150g on your server with Quick King's Amber selling for 100g, but the raw materials might be much cheaper for the King's Amber.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • BluefyreBluefyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If someone new comes into WoW when Cata hits, will they still need to purchase vanilla?

Bluefyre on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Panda4You wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Fucking douchebags that boot you from a group after you're saved just in case you roll against them on an item that probably won't drop anyway. Thanks for wasting my time you worthless piece of shit.
    If some asshole goes "I'm here for X so don't roll" it's better to just play along to keep things calm and needroll when that shit drops, and weather the drama from there. Fuckers who think the pug is there to carry them really grates my mind.
    Yup, I never said whether I'd be rolling on NES ahead of time when I was trying to get it for my DK and druid. I'd just roll need if the stupid Devourer dropped it and leave the party when the crying started (even when I lost the roll someone would usually cry) since it was the last boss and we were done anyway.

forty on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    No, I think they mean you have to buy it as a hard copy, non-digital. I am sure Amazon and places like that will get CE's.

Yeah there's a listing for Amazon. It just means no digital edition.

I preordered it already. >.>

I've been waiting forever for the damn CE to go up for Preorder.

I refuse to miss a Blizzard CE.

I'm a consumer whore.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited August 2010
    If someone new comes into WoW when Cata hits, will they still need to purchase vanilla?

Yah, but I wouldn't be shocked if Blizzard eventually rolls Vanilla + TBC + WoTLK in to a single "starter pack". Once you get past a couple of expansions, it behooves you to do that to draw in new players.

GnomeTank on
    edited August 2010

I'm a consumer whore.

I've missed a couple, but I want the Lil' Deathwing pet, so I won't be missing this one.

GnomeTank on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been doing King's Amber on my server for a long time now. They sell well, but the last couple weeks someone really overloaded the market so I've been waiting for the glut to pass. Prices have re-stabilized at or near where they were. Right around 110g per gem, with about 80 of that being profit.

Nealneal on
    edited August 2010

I would assume that it depends on your particular server's economy. Bold Cardinal Ruby might sell for 150g on your server with Quick King's Amber selling for 100g, but the raw materials might be much cheaper for the King's Amber.

hmm you are right, I haven't looked at the prices of eternal life lately, last time I looked it was cheaper to buy a frozen orb and trade it in to frozo.

I should say also that the blue quality gems aren't going to be a problem for about 3 months. I haven't thrown a single one away.

format on
    edited August 2010
    forty wrote: »
    Panda4You wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Fucking douchebags that boot you from a group after you're saved just in case you roll against them on an item that probably won't drop anyway. Thanks for wasting my time you worthless piece of shit.
    If some asshole goes "I'm here for X so don't roll" it's better to just play along to keep things calm and needroll when that shit drops, and weather the drama from there. Fuckers who think the pug is there to carry them really grates my mind.
    Yup, I never said whether I'd be rolling on NES ahead of time when I was trying to get it for my DK and druid. I'd just roll need if the stupid Devourer dropped it and leave the party when the crying started (even when I lost the roll someone would usually cry) since it was the last boss and we were done anyway.

The last time this happened to me I was votekicked on my enhancement shaman right before we engaged the Devourer. I didn't even want the stupid thing. So pissed.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's the Vanilla and TBC Battle Chest or whatever

that's what I got when I started.

Senshi on
    edited August 2010
    Soundtrack featuring 10 epic new tracks from Cataclysm, including exclusive bonus tracks.
    I swear the soundtracks keep getting smaller with each expansion.

forty on
    edited August 2010
    Senshi wrote: »

Ah, wasn't aware they already had a battle chest. So yah, I would expect to see a Vanilla/TBC/WoTLK battle chest out around the time Cata releases.

GnomeTank on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I missed the WotLK CE, something that still kinda bugs me.

I'll swing by GameStop sometime this week and make sure I get my CE this time around.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited August 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    Alchemy is one of the better designed professions in my opinion. It has a good daily cooldown for a limited amount of easy money, and several meaningful specializations.
    It's also not a huge pain in the dick-hole to level and offers something useful to pretty much any spec while leveling.

forty on
    edited August 2010

Reds and Oranges typically have the most volume, followed by Blues. Like Grundlestiltskin said, it will vary by server.

Check:
    Bold/Runed/Bright Cardinal Rubies
    Reckless Ametrine. The is the defacto caster orange, dunno what sells for st/X or agi/X
    Solid Majestic Zircon
    Purified Dreadstone
    Thick/Rigid/Smooth (that's what she said) King's Amber

captaink on
    edited August 2010
    Senshi wrote: »

Ah, wasn't aware they already had a battle chest. So yah, I would expect to see a Vanilla/TBC/WoTLK battle chest out around the time Cata releases.

It was actually pretty cool; I got the two games (naturally), and the Prima Strategy Guides that Gabe and Tycho did the comics for way back in the day. All for the low-low price of like 300 SEK (for reference, a new game these days costs between 500 and 650 SEK).

Senshi on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    honestly I'm a bit surprised it's only $80. After SCII being $100, that's really what I expected for this.

I mean, $80 isn't cheap, but it could have been worse because they know it'll sell.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited August 2010
    honestly I'm a bit surprised it's only $80. After SCII being $100, that's really what I expected for this.

I mean, $80 isn't cheap, but it could have been worse because they know it'll sell.

Well SC2 was $60+$40, this I guess is $40+$40. It is only an expansion.

captaink on
    edited August 2010
    Probably it is the difference between expansion pricing and normal pricing.

EDIT: LIKE WHAT CAPTAINK JUST SAID

End on
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    s* Loremaster of Eastern Kingdoms and Loremaster of Kalimdor no longer requires you to complete a given amount of quests anymore. You now have to complete the achievements for each zone to get the Loremaster title.

SLAP IN THE FACE.

quaigy on
    edited August 2010
    quaigy wrote: »
    s* Loremaster of Eastern Kingdoms and Loremaster of Kalimdor no longer requires you to complete a given amount of quests anymore. You now have to complete the achievements for each zone to get the Loremaster title.

SLAP IN THE FACE.

Probably makes it a lot easier, considering. :P

Wonder if they'll make the old Loremasters an FoS or not though.

End on
    edited August 2010
    I'm more curious as to what'll happen to The Explorer

Senshi on
    edited August 2010
    Are they ever going to make an expansion CE mini-pet that isn't a whelpling?

forty on
    edited August 2010

It's kind of their thing now.

captaink on
    edited August 2010

The CEs have always cost $40 more than the non-CEs since Warcraft 3 or so, so this is nothing new and shouldn't be surprising at all. Both TBC and WotLK were $40 regular/$80 CE.

forty on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I'm a consumer whore.

Err, what? I don't see the Cata Collector's edition on Amazon.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited August 2010
    captaink wrote: »

It's kind of their thing now.

People love some internet dragonz.

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited August 2010
    Awesome, gamestop.com is blocked at work so I can't see what the preorder situation is there.

forty on
    edited August 2010
    Awesome, gamestop.com is blocked at work so I can't see what the preorder situation is there.

Available as of now. Limit 2 per household!

captaink on
This discussion has been closed.