As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Forum Let's Play Archive - OLD THREAD IS OLD DON'T POST IN THIS ONE

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    You took pictures of your television.

wait

what

Rent on
  • DragonatrixDragonatrix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    lpdf25.jpg

So he did!

The only other time I've seen something even remotely like that is the archived Half-Life LP. I'm sure the difference between the two is obvious :\/

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, I remember that LP now.

It's not terrible for a screen-shot (tee hee) LP.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Some of those pictures were squint-worthy CJ

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited September 2010
    I

This is

Just

No.

Rent on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Too late, it's already done.

What can I say, it was the only medium I had available at the time, and I really wanted to LP Dragon Force.

You can see the difference in Hematophila's LP that he started and never finished, as he used a more direct method.

(As am I for MKR.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just figured out one of the merits of an action RPG like Demon's Souls is that while waiting for people to respond in a thread you can post between-sets filler videos of doing silly shenanigans that doesn't progress the game.

Heavily edited, of course.

Also, I have some questions regarding rendering/conversion speeds and video editors.

I'm not using Mediacoder yet. I know, I'll get on that. BUT, how long does Mediacoder take to convert say, 3 gigabytes of M2TS files to WMV files with the following properties?
    Video: WMV 9, 1280x720 resolution, 8192 Kbps, 29.97 fps.
    Audio: WMA 9, 128 Kbps, 44100 Hz.

Secondly, what video editors do people use to put things together? How long do the video editors you use take to mash up media clips into a video with something similar to the following properties?
    Audio: 64 Kbps, 44,100 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo.
    Video: 29.970 fps, 1280x720, Quality VBR 90, WMV V11 Compression.

(also I'd use a different media format than WMV but my codecs ran away and/or broke up with my editing software)

Trynant on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I FUCKIN' LOVE SCANLINES

cj if you ever petition for a name change and Tube gets around to doing them and he flips that coin, I'm going to make the suggestion he change your name to Scanlines if he ends up with tails. :^:

Okay, on to serious business. I want to reiterate something for people.

I've been on this forum for 7 years, and in like half a year it'll have been 8. I dig this community. It's gone through changes lots, but the last 2 / 3 years has been the most stable iteration (as far as G&T goes). This place is great. There's good folks here. There's folks that appreciate the community like I do, more or less. There's people who want to get engaged with the community or come here. There's folks who want to show us things, new or current faces. Because I love this community, I welcome new faces. I welcome what they come to bring if it isn't a blind "look at my shit!" pitch. I welcome long-standing / current members trying out something new. Sometimes things aren't great, sometimes things suck. Regardless of quality, I like to highlight what people do on this forum which is why I made this thread to begin with. Good or bad, folks are trying something out to entertain us, or themselves, and clearly want to share it with us.

And because this community is rad I think we can help each other out, or new faces, to get on par with whatever is agreed upon to be good. And if things don't get better or just are bad, we can help people realize that they should try something else.

The tl;dr of this is that I'm just reminding folks to be excellent to each other and new people. Be constructive, be critical, be helpful. You shit on this community, and I will shit on you (aka narc, and maybe like not like you anymore). Like seriously. I'm talking brown chunks of doodoo in your Christmas stocking this holiday season. Or I'll blow out your Hanukkah candles or something if you don't do Christmas, I dunno, I haven't thought that far ahead.

Henroid on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Name changes are for people who don't like their current name, so, not happening. :P
    you may notice the image quality improved substantially halfway through when I got an LCD tv

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cj "Scanlines" iwakura

It's like the wild west.

Henroid on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For a while there I thought you were building up to you announcing your leave from the forums, don't scare me like that, Henroid.

And yeah, being excellent to people is the mark of a true gentleman.

On a more positive note, Retsupurae updated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJOn4DhOmhA

Snarky FF LP, having 'Emo' as your character name, complaining about Blitzball, I'm getting deja vu... some kind of Experim... nah, I'm just imagining things.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2010
    I saw on their twitter feed that they do indeed have a new episode up, it pleased me. I think they realized you can only do so much of what they do before it gets repetitive maybe.

Also, only two things will make me leave the forum:
    1) I die
    2) I somehow have one-too many kids and devote my time to family instead of this

... The second one I'd still cheat my way to be here a bit.

Henroid on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Whatever the reason, be it RL stuff or not wanting to burn out, I'm cool with them taking their time.

It's not like I don't have plenty of other stuff to watch on a daily basis.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I'm not about to be one of those raging fans getting mad at people for not keeping up with things on some regular schedule. Unless it's how you make your living, whatever, when it's ready it's ready. This applies to actual LP's now that I think about it. Cue Rent!

Also I felt like the thread title needed some jazz.

Henroid on
    edited September 2010
    Hell, even if it is how they make their living (like the Spoony Experiment), it's their own show that they want to get just right.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2010
    heard my name, came running as quick as i could

Rent on
    edited September 2010
    Rent what is your opinion on _________?

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2010
    I think it's horrid and honestly it pisses me off

especially since henroid is okay with it

do you realize how SERIOUS BUSINESS ________ is?

Rent on
    edited September 2010
    Trynant wrote: »
    BUT, how long does Mediacoder take to convert say, 3 gigabytes of M2TS files to WMV files with the following properties?

why the hell are your videos 3 gigs

is that after de-interlacing and are they roughly 45 minutes long? then yeah i could see that

either way to transcode and compress per video, it takes 3-5 hours, but that's for 3-pass at 2000 Kbps

Each of my videos is about 20-45 minutes in length

Rent on
    edited September 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    I think it's horrid and honestly it pisses me off

especially since henroid is okay with it

do you realize how SERIOUS BUSINESS ________ is?

I am complaining on GAF, GameFAQs and SA about ________ right now.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2010
    On a serious note I know I'm very grumpy about LPs a lot but it's because I truly love the medium

Also I'd like to think that even though my views are more extreme than most I articulate them fairly well

plus hen has no qualms calling me a douchebag either privately or openly and he hasn't yet so I think I'm doing pretty good :P

Also also I hold myself to the same standards that I hold others to. Haven't missed an update on my AW LP, for instance >.>

Rent on
    edited September 2010
    I'm not sure if it's funny or sad that no one cared about the format I used for Dragon Force until, what, two years later?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    On a serious note I know I'm very grumpy about LPs a lot but it's because I truly love the medium

Also I'd like to think that even though my views are more extreme than most I articulate them fairly well

plus hen has no qualms calling me a douchebag either privately or openly and he hasn't yet so I think I'm doing pretty good :P

Also also I hold myself to the same standards that I hold others to. Haven't missed an update on my AW LP, for instance >.>

Well, Henroid removed the 'No Rents allowed' rule, so there's that too.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's funny or sad that no one cared about the format I used for Dragon Force until, what, two years later?

I'm still stunned you thought that was a good idea

in a state of shock

Rent on
    edited September 2010
    Well, no one ever complained. Could be because no one ever watched.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I followed. Didn't really mind, and I think you're generally a cool guy cj so I didn't bring it up. Anyway, I have a whole bunch of ideas for LPs, but I don't have the resources. I hope to fix that sometime this year.

EDIT: I guess I should ask what would be the forum's recommendation for hardware/software for capturing video from a TV.

EDIT 2: Oh dur, link to SA. Unless people have better recommendations.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited September 2010
    Appreciated. Take solace in knowing I'll never do that again. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    I'll be reading it after the fact, that's for sure.

Henroid on
    edited September 2010
    It's not as bad as Adus makes it sound. I did a lot of editing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Make what sound?

Adus on
    edited September 2010
    The LP.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Adus just explained how you did it, I dont think he was being rude or anything.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wanna do a let's play

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited September 2010
    I do too, but my biggest limitation is not being interesting nor good at video games.

Also, Easycaps have notorious audio capture issues.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited September 2010
    I do too, but my biggest limitation is not being interesting nor good at video games.

My easycap is so bad it made me vomit.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
    edited September 2010
    Helloween wrote: »

Really? Your Wii and PS2 test videos seemed pretty good, which is shocking now that I've got some hands-on time with the EasyCrap.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited September 2010
    Helloween wrote: »

Really? Your Wii and PS2 test videos seemed pretty good, which is shocking now that I've got some hands-on time with the EasyCrap.

It requires a shit ton of tweaking basically. Wasnt easy to sort. And no 60hz mode either.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
    edited September 2010
    Well it's mainly a time thing for me

Yelling at people for money is hard

Zen Vulgarity on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yelling at games for free is easy

joshofalltrades on
    edited September 2010
    Sometimes I write things with funny words that no one uses

Zen Vulgarity on