As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Forum Let's Play Archive - OLD THREAD IS OLD DON'T POST IN THIS ONE

• Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yelling at games for free is easy

I'll remember you said that when you have an aneurysm when playing the new IWBTG add on

atat23 on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Trynant wrote: »
    BUT, how long does Mediacoder take to convert say, 3 gigabytes of M2TS files to WMV files with the following properties?

why the hell are your videos 3 gigs

is that after de-interlacing and are they roughly 45 minutes long? then yeah i could see that

either way to transcode and compress per video, it takes 3-5 hours, but that's for 3-pass at 2000 Kbps

Each of my videos is about 20-45 minutes in length

For my example we're talking about 45 minutes of raw video footage. The footage is roughly at 1280x720 resolution and 8000 Kbps.

With what I'm using, just converting these files from M2TS to WMV took 8 hours :?

This does not include the time rendering the edited footage. Yeah :(

Trynant on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I gotta say I love people doing LP's of newer games I'll never have a chance ever to play

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Funny, I love doing LPs of older games people never get a chance to play.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That too

LPs of games everyone and their mother have played is kinda boring

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That too

LPs of games everyone and their mother have played is kinda boring

I agree. Seeing new stuff is far better. Unless its hitman by Gingermajingo, then thats fine. Never laughed so much at an LP.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    DragonatrixDragonatrix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    my biggest limitation is not being interesting

I'm not interesting either and I didn't let that stop me :I

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Helloween wrote: »
    I do too, but my biggest limitation is not being interesting nor good at video games.

Also, Easycaps have notorious audio capture issues.

My easycap is so bad it made me vomit.

Really? Your Wii and PS2 test videos seemed pretty good, which is shocking now that I've got some hands-on time with the EasyCrap.

It requires a shit ton of tweaking basically. Wasnt easy to sort. And no 60hz mode either.

Eh. Whatever. If I ever get a job, I might invest in a piece of capture hardware that is non-shitty. Of course, I might end up needing a better computer that can handle the processes and not make everything go out of sync. And who knows how much that would end up costing.

edit: Actually, are there any dedicated pieces of hardware that capture stuff like that? I might be wrong, but does the beefiness of your computer matter with a situation like this? Would all that'd matter be the write speed of the hard drive?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You don't need fancy hardware to do an LP. Computer game + screenshots + witty writing is perfectly doable.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I do too, but my biggest limitation is not being interesting nor good at video games.

Also, Easycaps have notorious audio capture issues.

My easycap is so bad it made me vomit.

Really? Your Wii and PS2 test videos seemed pretty good, which is shocking now that I've got some hands-on time with the EasyCrap.

It requires a shit ton of tweaking basically. Wasnt easy to sort. And no 60hz mode either.

Eh. Whatever. If I ever get a job, I might invest in a piece of capture hardware that is non-shitty. Of course, I might end up needing a better computer that can handle the processes and not make everything go out of sync. And who knows how much that would end up costing.

edit: Actually, are there any dedicated pieces of hardware that capture stuff like that? I might be wrong, but does the beefiness of your computer matter with a situation like this? Would all that'd matter be the write speed of the hard drive?

You can get internal capture devices, but they do take a chunk out of the resources while recording. It's nothing major however. Just record onto a seperate HD than you play on.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    You don't need fancy hardware to do an LP. Computer game + screenshots + witty writing is perfectly doable.

My "rig" (a consumer-grade entry level laptop, so...you know what you're getting) can probably barely run games, let alone games and FRAPS.

I'd be doing console stuff most likely, if I were to do anything at all. As a fan of MST3K and terrible movies, I had planned on doing WET before I played it and realized it wasn't funny-bad, it was just mediocre-bad.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to do an LP, but I don't know how much I like my voice for one. I'd also have to come up with a game to play and money for a capture card (Unless I want to do one like CJ). I do have a few ideas for games, but I still have to get the ideas for what to say during them.

My "rig" (a consumer-grade entry level laptop, so...you know what you're getting) can probably barely run games, let alone games and FRAPS.

I'd be doing console stuff most likely, if I were to do anything at all. As a fan of MST3K and terrible movies, I had planned on doing WET before I played it and realized it wasn't funny-bad, it was just mediocre-bad.

You can totally play some 20 year old game and take pictures on any computer that can run XP.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    8000 Kbps.(

there is no reason for your KBps to be this high

for comparison watch any video of mine that I've posted to yours' graphical quality. Mine's at 3k and I'll bet you can barely tell the difference, especially since i record in HD too

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

hauppauge 1212 hd-pvr

Rent on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

This is true, but you lose the benefit of passively recording your progress. In a screenshot LP, you're actively involved in making sure your LP efforts are recorded in some manner, which can be distracting from actually playing the game.

Edit - Like doing my screenshot LP of Diablo was a pain in the ass.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

hauppauge 1212 hd-pvr

Please tell me you don't think something like this is actually necessary for someone to make LPs.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

This is true, but you lose the benefit of passively recording your progress. In a screenshot LP, you're actively involved in making sure your LP efforts are recorded in some manner, which can be distracting from actually playing the game.

Edit - Like doing my screenshot LP of Diablo was a pain in the ass.

That's why I only do it with games I've already beaten.

Well, mostly. Blind LPing SMT 1 & 2 was a pain.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Schide wrote: »

hauppauge 1212 hd-pvr

Please tell me you don't think something like this is actually necessary for someone to make LPs.

No, but he asked, i answered

Rent on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Grab something off of GoG?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    A blind LP of Planescape could be interesting.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have to say the biggest problem I had was uploading. Sometimes I'd leave 4 videos uploading overnight and have all 4 fail when I get up in the morning :/

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I have to say the biggest problem I had was uploading. Sometimes I'd leave 4 videos uploading overnight and have all 4 fail when I get up in the morning :/

Thats because youtube hates you.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That's why pros use blip 8-)

(Viddler sucks cocks too but at least allows you to download the source)

Rent on
  • Options
    DragonatrixDragonatrix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pfft, pros pay for their own bandwidth and self-host 8-)

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just noticed
    there is a necklace with a cross right next to Zoro in the color spread, but it's not the same necklace that Mihawk carries around his neck.

Nami's boobs are like, hypnotic in the spread. I can't stop staring at them.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    RockinX wrote: »
    I just noticed
    there is a necklace with a cross right next to Zoro in the color spread, but it's not the same necklace that Mihawk carries around his neck.

what?!

Rent on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rent missed the memo that this is now the LP/Subway/One Piece thread.

(Seriously though, how did you make this mistake, Rockin?)

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    RockinX wrote: »
    I just noticed

what?!

Oh fuck.

Well, everyone makes mistakes. I had the two tabs open at the same time. Just be thankful the spoiler didn't contain anything related to the story.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    With what I'm using, just converting these files from M2TS to WMV took 8 hours :?

This does not include the time rendering the edited footage. Yeah :(

wow, I feel lazy now, my quality is SD (barely), guess that's why it take about 8 minutes to encode a 15 minute vid. :/

atat23 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, good news. I suddenly have a lot more time to play through IWBTFG.

Bad news. I had a sinus infection and was on Bactrim for that. Then a couple days ago I broke out in massive itchy and painfully burning red hives all over my body. I just found out today that this happened for two reasons:

1) I am now allergic to sulfa medications like Bactrim

and

2) I have mononucleosis, which causes a skin rash in response to sulfa medications like Bactrim

So, while I now have the time to play through it, I'm really supposed to be resting and relaxing as much as possible because I have a lovely combination of allergic reaction/mono/skin rash/sinus infection.

FML

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    handle the rash, like you handle the LPs, swear at it profusely till you beat it.

atat23 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    At this point the mono makes it difficult to vocally swear at anything

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

It could be worse. Your mono could be twice as bad.

You know.
    Stereo
    D: ohmygod why did i make that awful pun D:

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

It could be worse. Your mono could be twice as bad.

You know.
    Stereo
    D: ohmygod why did i make that awful pun D:

holy shit this is amazing

trynant i love you

ed: reported

Rent on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So how does Veoh and Blip sound for a couple of hosting choices. I only have 480p so it's not like it probably matters that much anyway. And I ain't cool enough to have my own hosting site.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I like Blip. I haven't had any trouble at all with them. The only thing is you'll need to have commentary over a majority of your video or it's more liable to be scrutinized, apparently.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That won't be a problem.

You know, assuming my co-commentator ever gets a new headset.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've never used veoh, blip is okay but has a wonky uploader, viddler has a shittily coded but quick uploader and is also really commonly used so i'd use that

Rent on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Not really officially a LP but it's something I started over in SE++

This thread is your frame of reference

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A blind LP of Planescape could be interesting.

Now that Planescape has hit GoG, it means I was finally able to buy it. I'm pretty tempted to do a blind LP (I've never ever played it, except for literally just getting out of the mortuary when I got it), but the problem is that since it's an old game, I'd pretty much have to do it with screenshots. I'm a) not really inclined to do a screenshot LP and b) cutting my screenshot LP teeth on a game with Planescape's legendary status is probably a pretty bad idea. No to mention I can't stand the kind of tedious effort required in sifting through tons of screenshots and uploading them in the correct order and then putting them up on the board in code and then commenting on top of all that. And from what I've heard, Planescape would require a lot of screenshots.

And while I'm sure there's some genius way to do a video LP of Planescape to fit its legendary status, sadly I'm not the guy to come up with that way.

Ninja Snarl P on