As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Forum Let's Play Archive - OLD THREAD IS OLD DON'T POST IN THIS ONE

1111214161762

Posts

  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not really officially a LP but it's something I started over in SE++

    This thread is your frame of reference

    I endorse the fuck out of this. I'll add it somewhere in one of the 3 OP posts of this thread. :^:

    Henroid on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I watch a lot of videos on Blip, they're pretty solid.

    PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Blip's videos are really nice looking, and about the only webstreaming service I can stand to actually use the full screen option on. I used to use them for storing recordings of online matches, and they handled the higher resolution flawlessly. Just watch for the anti-gaming police on there.

    Oh yea, they also have a fucking batch uploader that works. More sites need one of these.

    elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man I'd kill for someone to do a LP of the Yakuza series

    Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man I'd kill for someone to do a LP of the Yakuza series

    enjoy

    Rent on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Man I'd kill for someone to do a LP of the Yakuza series

    enjoy

    Series, not just one game . :P

    Because my PS2 broke and I can't play 2 and 3 ahhhh I wanna know moreeee

    Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What the

    He already did it!

    I can view it!

    Gleeee

    Well he's doing the second game now awesome

    Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Do you folks care about LPs done by PAers on other websites or is that LP treason?

    Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's allowed, but I don't have to like it.

    cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If someone on our forum did an LP somewhere else, it's fine. Like I have Synthetic Orange listed somewhere for his Princess Maker 2 LP (which is fucking incredible by the way).

    Also ew it's Pancake. D:

    Henroid on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think it's long archived, but WeX Majors contributed to a really fun Sims 2 LP on SomethingAwful by having the characters fight in WWE Day of Reckoning 2. It's actually inspired me to possibly try something like that out. Make friends/forumers into CAWs, record matches, add in commentary.

    PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Trynant wrote: »
    8000 Kbps.(

    there is no reason for your KBps to be this high

    for comparison watch any video of mine that I've posted to yours' graphical quality. Mine's at 3k and I'll bet you can barely tell the difference, especially since i record in HD too

    Several things:

    First, I hate you now for getting me to watch your LP and having it distract me from editing my videos.

    Second, the difference in quality is noticable, but you're right; it's not that large of a difference. It could easily be the different encoders from different video-hosting sites, different games being played on different consoles, or it may very well be that 8000 Kbps does add that little bit more to the quality.

    Third, because I was still doubtful about not recording at such high quality, I still converted my next set, which was two hours and forty-five minutes of raw footage. It took 27 fucking hours to finish converting the files D:

    So yeah, toning it down a notch is definitely going to be the smart thing to do.

    Lastly, what do you all think of adding short introductions to a Let's Play? I've been adding intros to all my videos (i.e. every part of the set) since my third set, but I found people don't like it that much because it interrupts the action. I'm thinking it would be wise to only have a introduction bit to the first video of a set and leave the rest without.

    Trynant on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you're on something that's not Blip, just one introduction will work. On Blip, stick the intro on every video to keep from getting pulled

    elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you're sticking all the parts of your LP into sets because they're too long to fit on YouTube, I wouldn't bother.

    Otherwise, go for it.

    Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Trynant wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    Trynant wrote: »
    8000 Kbps.(

    there is no reason for your KBps to be this high

    for comparison watch any video of mine that I've posted to yours' graphical quality. Mine's at 3k and I'll bet you can barely tell the difference, especially since i record in HD too

    Several things:

    First, I hate you now for getting me to watch your LP and having it distract me from editing my videos.

    88%20Andy%20Samberg%20Hi-Fives%20A%20Bobcat.jpg

    Second, the difference in quality is noticable, but you're right; it's not that large of a difference. It could easily be the different encoders from different video-hosting sites, different games being played on different consoles, or it may very well be that 8000 Kbps does add that little bit more to the quality.

    Third, because I was still doubtful about not recording at such high quality, I still converted my next set, which was two hours and forty-five minutes of raw footage. It took 27 fucking hours to finish converting the files D:

    So yeah, toning it down a notch is definitely going to be the smart thing to do.

    Also, seriously, start using mediacoder, and make sure you have h.264 and doing two or three pass transcoding
    Lastly, what do you all think of adding short introductions to a Let's Play? I've been adding intros to all my videos (i.e. every part of the set) since my third set, but I found people don't like it that much because it interrupts the action. I'm thinking it would be wise to only have a introduction bit to the first video of a set and leave the rest without.

    By intro, what specifically are you doing?

    Rent on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Trynant wrote: »
    Lastly, what do you all think of adding short introductions to a Let's Play? I've been adding intros to all my videos (i.e. every part of the set) since my third set, but I found people don't like it that much because it interrupts the action. I'm thinking it would be wise to only have a introduction bit to the first video of a set and leave the rest without.

    By intro, what specifically are you doing?

    For my previous videos, I just added a few seconds of a title screen followed by a screenshot of something going on in the video. For this LP I add music from the game's soundtrack. Here's an example:

    The most obvious problem with this method is that it breaks up the action far too often. For my next set I'm just going to limit the intro to the first video of the set, but instead of a screenshot sequence I'm going to do a few clips of highlights of things going on in the whole set (i.e. not just the first video). For the other videos in the set I'm just going to do an overlay of text at the beginning of a video saying something like "Set 8 Part 3", for example, that is on screen for a few seconds and then fades out. I'll post a video with that method after a little more editing.

    Trynant on
  • Options
    ZahrkonZahrkon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    Do you folks care about LPs done by PAers on other websites or is that LP treason?

    Your Metro 2033 LP over on SA is pretty great imo.

    Zahrkon on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh that's you, Pancake? Yeah, I like it. There maybe should be a section in the OP for LPs from PAers that aren't done on this forum. If I do another LP it'll probably be on SA.

    Adus on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, that's me.

    Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm 99% percent sure my next lp will be on SA

    Rent on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Reading this thread makes me remember I have an unfinished LP

    sadfaes

    surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Traitors, all of you!

    cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    KariOhki did a huge LP of Growlanser 2 & 3 at SA, which I'd considered doing at some point.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Traitors, all of you!

    more like "know where the audience is"

    Rent on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    More like "our audience is better". Quality > Quantity

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    More like "our audience is better". Quality > Quantity

    I don't know about that. Here you'd probably never get incredible posts like this post from my SA thread.
    Oh god. In any other game, the silhouettes and the ball lightning would have been cheesy. Here, in this game, they are the saddest nightmares to ever grace my vision. I feel like now I understand what people mean when they say something is "both terrible and beautiful."

    And now I'm waxing poetic over a game. Way to go, Metro. You rock just that hard.

    The saddest nightmares to ever grace his vision.

    Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    More like "our audience is better". Quality > Quantity

    ahahahahahahaha

    Okay you keep on telling yourself that

    Even discounting the fact that there's huge cross-pollination between the two forums, so your point is moot anyways, trying to seriously preach elitism on the subject is a laughable notion at best

    Rent on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't guess I understand the point of limiting your viewership based on some misguided sense of loyalty

    Not that I've been anything but PA exclusive so far, but

    joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't guess I understand the point of limiting your viewership based on some misguided sense of loyalty

    Not that I've been anything but PA exclusive so far, but

    josh nailed it in one

    plus the sheer fact that it has a dedicated subforum, that it has dedicated tech support, that it has dedicated image and video hosters makes it incredibly attractive for LPers

    Rent on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think this is a good time to bring up what I forsee happening to a majority of LPers here

    I think a lot of LPers here who use video hosts besides youtube are going to start moving to SA. You can already see it happening with people like Adus and me; even though hosts like Viddler and blip have a lot of points in their favor, like DD and no-limit video lengths, they simply can't be overcome by the fact that youtube is ubiquitous . So I think you're gonna have a lot of people who might be in to this LPing thing for the long haul get frustrated by the lack of views they're getting, especially if they're using non-youtube hosts, and do one of two things:

    1) Move to SA, where there's a much bigger audience waiting for them, plus a ton of people here have SA accounts so it's much the same people they're LPing to;

    or

    2) Move to youtube; youtube lpers get to draw from the fucking huge youtube LP community and because of that circumvent a lot of the problems that are here

    Food for thought; I'm not saying whether or not it's a bad thing, but I'm sensing that there's probably gonna be a movement away from doing PA LPs, because the audience just isn't here.

    Rent on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just saying, I know people here, so it's favorable.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, you know what? Fuck loyalty.

    Numbers game.

    cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Just saying, I know people here, so it's favorable.

    God forbid you have to deal with anyone you don't know or have people you know here go there to watch it or read it.

    Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, you know what? Fuck loyalty.

    Numbers game.

    wow you're passive aggressive

    and maybe once you do an LP here you'll realize how disheartening it can be

    I'm talking, at the beginning of my LP I would struggle to break double digits on views

    Rent on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Just saying, I know people here, so it's favorable.

    God forbid you have to deal with anyone you don't know or have people you know here go there to watch it or read it.

    I like this community more, plain and simple. Theirs is entirely different.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah but, to do an LP on SA you have to be like, good at it. Or you'll get shelled.

    I assume.

    Schide on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That rule doesn't apply here?

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not really, no

    Rent on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, you will get ignored.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah but on SA they will go out of their way to chew you out.

    PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
Sign In or Register to comment.