Options

PA Forum Let's Play Archive - OLD THREAD IS OLD DON'T POST IN THIS ONE

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay Rent, you're right. I take it back. I was just upset because I love you guys so much.

But in all seriousness, you guys are pretty cool. I don't want to see this mass migration to a forum I don't visit.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This thread doesn't care about quality.

But people won't read your LP if they don't find it entertaining. Have you guys considered that your low views are because you're not being entertaining? I know I'm not entertaining, that's why I haven't complained about views. Maybe you suck, Rent. Maybe you're not actually a good LP'er. Maybe Adus sucks. Maybe views aren't everything in the world.

Stop having this shitty argument about people leaving for another forum, this is fucking retarded. Keep it to yourself. If you guys want to leave just because of LPs, what the fuck ever. You're concerned about your popularity, so go for it and good luck. If you take your LPs elsewhere but stay here, hey cool, at least you're not bailing on the community as a whole.

But seriously stop talking about this shit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And as I said already, if you do your LPs elsewhere but still want people from here to read it, make a note of it and guide us there. The purpose is LPs done by members of our community, not done in our community necessarily. I reserve the right, however, to fuck you in the mouth until you die at PAX if all you're going to do is complain about the PA forum. And seriously, don't think I won't drop my pants and attempt to mount you.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have a very hard time believing that the SA forums could be a better environment for either participating in general or doing LPs. Don't get me wrong, I know some really great LPs come out of there. But as far as I know, the PA forums are a pretty unique place in terms of general decency and civility enforced with an iron fist.

I suppose ten bucks isn't too bad considering that I see LPs for only a couple of the games I've done on their master list, but what would be the point? I don't make LPs for them, I make them for this board and my own enjoyment. And aside from the odd hitch, I think I manage to keep the quality up but I'm still plenty happy with a hundred or so people watching as long as most are PAers. Even not speaking for myself, I know for a fact that there a number of LPs from the PA boards which are leagues and leagues beyond a lot of the trash LPs out there which manage to get 50,000+ views per video.

Seriously, some of the stuff out there is... tragic. Good thing we've got Retsuprae for those.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm sorry if I sound unnecessarily whiny; that's not my intention

I love PA a lot too, it's why I've posted here for coming on three years now

Rent on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    "Better environment" is subjective. If someone gets along with the community there better than here, it's their better environment. If they get along with this forum better than over there, then we're the better environment (for that individual). I'm not going to have this stupid "us or them" shit going on in this thread, you guys.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, stop throwing my name out there like I was a part of this argument without even being here. All I said was my next one (if it even happens) will be at SA. Honestly the biggest draw for me? The archive. Every day I worry about my FFVII images disappearing, or the entire thread itself. I'd just feel safer if my stuff were on that archive and hosted with an LP exclusive host because imageshack sucks and there's not much else.

Adus on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Photobucket. All my images from years ago still work.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay, so anyway, I have a Metro 2033 LP going at SA. I know Helloween has already done one, but mine is not like his so I feel okay posting it.

I suppose I belong to this community so I thought I'd share.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We take repeats here don't worry. :P

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    And I threw your name out there Adus because I wanted to say your GTAIV LP sucks. <_<
    I kid!

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Yeah unless you go over your bandwidth limit and suddenly nothing can be seen.

Adus on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    "Better environment" is subjective. If someone gets along with the community there better than here, it's their better environment. If they get along with this forum better than over there, then we're the better environment (for that individual). I'm not going to have this stupid "us or them" shit going on in this thread, you guys.

I'm not saying PA is better than SA either, I'm just saying that when people do bad LPs here or don't complete them, they're generally left to die quietly like a puppy being smothered under a fat lady. Barely any mental scarring at all. Though a little bit more scarring might dissuade people from making LPs if they haven't thought them through.

I will say that SA's archive setup is great and I love it. It's like having a million seasons of entertainment right at your computertips.
    Henroid wrote: »
    We take repeats here don't worry. :P

Just because we have three Shadow of Chernobyl LPs doesn't mean we take repeats. They aren't repeats, they're a fail-safe redundancy system in case of the end of the world.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Adus wrote: »

Yeah unless you go over your bandwidth limit and suddenly nothing can be seen.

It's happened once in five years. Not bad at all.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Photobucket is actually kinda shitty for LPs. My Diablo LP sapped the everloving shit out of my account.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, it's survived four and counting.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    "Adus uses Typhoon Bolt. Rent doesn't cooperate!"

Goddamn EO3 is full of LP material.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I don't want to be a jerk, so don't take it the wrong way, but that sounds like it says more bad for your readership than good for Photobucket's quality as an LP host.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Trynant wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    Lastly, what do you all think of adding short introductions to a Let's Play? I've been adding intros to all my videos (i.e. every part of the set) since my third set, but I found people don't like it that much because it interrupts the action. I'm thinking it would be wise to only have a introduction bit to the first video of a set and leave the rest without.

By intro, what specifically are you doing?

For my previous videos, I just added a few seconds of a title screen followed by a screenshot of something going on in the video. For this LP I add music from the game's soundtrack. Here's an example:

The most obvious problem with this method is that it breaks up the action far too often. For my next set I'm just going to limit the intro to the first video of the set, but instead of a screenshot sequence I'm going to do a few clips of highlights of things going on in the whole set (i.e. not just the first video). For the other videos in the set I'm just going to do an overlay of text at the beginning of a video saying something like "Set 8 Part 3", for example, that is on screen for a few seconds and then fades out. I'll post a video with that method after a little more editing.

Continuing this bit, I have the first video of my set finished. The plan is to have this be only video in the set that will have an intro, the rest will just have a quick text popup at the beginning of the play. Note at the time of this posting the video is still processing (i.e., not in HD yet).

EDIT

Deleted this video, have another test video (i.e. cut out the gameplay footage that didn't have intro stuff) a few posts below.

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Pancake wrote: »

I don't want to be a jerk, so don't take it the wrong way, but that sounds like it says more bad for your readership than good for Photobucket's quality as an LP host.

It's endured PA readership, that's all it needs to do.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Lastly, what do you all think of adding short introductions to a Let's Play? I've been adding intros to all my videos (i.e. every part of the set) since my third set, but I found people don't like it that much because it interrupts the action. I'm thinking it would be wise to only have a introduction bit to the first video of a set and leave the rest without.

By intro, what specifically are you doing?

For my previous videos, I just added a few seconds of a title screen followed by a screenshot of something going on in the video. For this LP I add music from the game's soundtrack. Here's an example:

The most obvious problem with this method is that it breaks up the action far too often. For my next set I'm just going to limit the intro to the first video of the set, but instead of a screenshot sequence I'm going to do a few clips of highlights of things going on in the whole set (i.e. not just the first video). For the other videos in the set I'm just going to do an overlay of text at the beginning of a video saying something like "Set 8 Part 3", for example, that is on screen for a few seconds and then fades out. I'll post a video with that method after a little more editing.

Continuing this bit, I have the first video of my set finished. The plan is to have this be only video in the set that will have an intro, the rest will just have a quick text popup at the beginning of the play. Note at the time of this posting the video is still processing (i.e., not in HD yet).

I need some thoughts on this. Too long, too short? Totally unnecessary or no? Stick with images or go with videoclip or just leave it without an intro entirely?

and yes I know my commentary is rambling and dull i'm working on that

The clips are largely slow with little of consequence happening outside of context. They don't look like highlights of the set as much as someone running in the dark and it goes on for quite a while.

Either do something else for an intro or just use the title card thing at the beginning if you really have to have it. The intro doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose as it stands.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010

The clips are largely slow with little of consequence happening outside of context. They don't look like highlights of the set as much as someone running in the dark and it goes on for quite a while.

Either do something else for an intro or just use the title card thing at the beginning if you really have to have it. The intro doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose as it stands.

You confirmed one of my fears with that intro. I cut the "slow" parts and put in clips where things happen (with one exception that's more of an inside joke to people who play the game). I also tried to make the clips more in-sync with the music.

That video will go down once I upload the revised version, which will probably be in a few hours (need sleep). I still got about forty minutes of footage to finish :?

Trynant on
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I need some thoughts on this. Too long, too short? Totally unnecessary or no? Stick with images or go with videoclip or just leave it without an intro entirely?

and yes I know my commentary is rambling and dull i'm working on that

I agree with Pancake, it is still a bit slow. I would honestly stick with just the two title cards without the set highlights.

If you decide to keep doing the highlights they might be improved with some more upbeat or actiony music though.

I like the idea of each video, after the first, having a little overlay instead of it's own opening, good call.

atat23 on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay, so anyway, I have a Metro 2033 LP going at SA. I know Helloween has already done one, but mine is not like his so I feel okay posting it.

I suppose I belong to this community so I thought I'd share.

Hah, looks like you can play far better than I can. I'm gunna watch this, be intresting to see where we did different things.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    and maybe once you do an LP here you'll realize how disheartening it can be

I'm talking, at the beginning of my LP I would struggle to break double digits on views

yeah, I guess we both just suck :(

don't be disheartened though, just go into a state of denial like I do and carry on regardless.

one thing I don't get about the youtube views counter is why it's all over the place, an example from a recent set I did:

part 1: 36 views
    part 2: 19 views
    part 3: 26 views

I guess it's down to a number of people reloading the page or something, in the latest videos I've also been very careful not to load up the videos myself in case that is messing up the figures.

not that the figures are actually important but I do like to get an idea of how many people I'm potentially offending with my constant swearing and hate filled commentary :D

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The hiatus killed GTAIV's viewership. I wouldn't be surprised if many didn't even realize it came back. If they heard about it from a friend and not the forum and it suddenly stopped updating, chances are you wouldn't decide to keep checking it until it randomly updates 4 months later. Even if you were on the forum and didn't post in the thread, you might not have even seen it get bumped without a blue dot.

The moral of the story is: don't take a hiatus.

Adus on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We still finished it Adus....we still finished it....

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It may have cost you most of the viewers, but the commentary got a lot better after the hiatus.
    But I agree, in general hiatuses aren't a good thing. I mean, if you hadn't had everything recorded already (the videos, that is) I guess you wouldn't have wanted to bother anymore.
    It's generally hard to get back to doing a project after you haven't done anything for it in months. It means additional work, among other things.

On a related note, Klyka, finish Damnation already! Or continue the Awesome Show of Awesome. Or do RAGE time with Helloween.

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sorry,really not into LPing at the moment.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

We've been having special time together. He just doesn't have the time to spare any more :(

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

We've been having special time together. He just doesn't have the time to spare any more :(

I do have the time (from time to time,haha) I just don't have the feel for it at the moment.
    I could record a video,sure,but it would not be fun for me and thereby not fun for anyone.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So, I've reedited the intro with more actioney stuff and a better sync with the music. I kept the music the same because it is the actual music for the level (well, the boss), and want to keep that theme going with each set (each one is a level). I also put in the beginning of the next video in the set to show what I mean by a transparency/popup. I think this turned out much better than the last, but then again I work too closely with this stuff.

And yeah I cut out the game footage and just have the intro and the beginnings in here.

EDIT: There's also an editing fuck-up here. The loading screen after the intro should be fading in instead of suddenly appearing.

Trynant on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Klyka wrote: »

I do have the time (from time to time,haha) I just don't have the feel for it at the moment.
    I could record a video,sure,but it would not be fun for me and thereby not fun for anyone.

He LPs for me, In private.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    no u ben

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm actually not really worried about views, considering my VVVVVV LP had 47,000 of them

But I don't have a membership to SA, even though I've thought about it for going on 10 years now

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Helloween wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »

He LPs for me, In private.

Sexy LPs.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    The hiatus killed GTAIV's viewership. I wouldn't be surprised if many didn't even realize it came back. If they heard about it from a friend and not the forum and it suddenly stopped updating, chances are you wouldn't decide to keep checking it until it randomly updates 4 months later. Even if you were on the forum and didn't post in the thread, you might not have even seen it get bumped without a blue dot.

The moral of the story is: don't take a hiatus.

It might just depend on how popular you are and how long it is. I took a one month hiatus from my LP and my views went down from around 1000 on the private host and around 500 on Viddler down to around 550 on the private host and around 300 on Viddler on my latest video.

Clearly a hiatus is bad, but they aren't always that painful.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There is the possibility that LPs of brand new games that people are still playing themselves just aren't that popular.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I dunno, one month and four are pretty big differences.

But I'm not that popular and the game is pretty long, so yes there are more factors than the break.

cj, that's obviously not true. I'm aware that's your stance personally, but plenty of new popular games get popular LPs. Helloween does a lot of new games. The Heavy Rain lp at SA is one of the most watched currently. Adversely, old, unknown games might be unknown for a reason, or their obscurity simply makes people ignore them by default.

Regardless, it's a personal preference thing. I like LPs with funny commentary by multiple people. Some people loathe that.

Adus on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There are some stupid fights going on in here

Zen Vulgarity on