As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Forum Let's Play Archive - OLD THREAD IS OLD DON'T POST IN THIS ONE

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If people just played games, there wouldn't be much of a need for LPs.

Not mainstream ones, anyway.

cj iwakura on
    y3H3Fa4.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    To me, the ideal LP tells you things about the game, and even yourself, that you didn't know before.

Obviously this approach isn't always viable.

Captain Carrot on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    To me, the ideal LP tells you things about the game, and even yourself, that you didn't know before.

Obviously this approach isn't always viable.

It probably depends on the game, but wouldn't the best let's play be something like.
    • Person is funny/witty/enjoyable to listen to.
    • Person has a nice sounding voice and pleasant conversational tone.
    • Person is skilled (depending on game, since in some cases being skilled translates into boring, while in others it translates into awesome action scenes) or at least can make the gameplay look good.
    • Person is knowledgeable and knows how to explain this in a way that makes it easy for watchers to understand without deluging them in unnecessary info.
    • Videos are well edited, commentary is well done, everything is high quality on the presentation front.
    • stuff i haven't thought of

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That sounds exactly like me morninglord HAVE YOU BEEN STALKING ME AGAIN?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    Trynant wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    Earth = Henroid!
    Fire = Klyka!
    Wind = Adus!
    Water = Rent!

By your powers combined, I am CAPTAIN PANCAKE!

You missed Heart.

Pancake has no heart.
    <3

THAT'S THE JOKE

Kiss me you wonderful man.

As for the Dragon Age / long game talk, they can be done via video. It'd take extensive editing; much like for a JRPG. You don't have to show everything, just the most eventful, or anything necessary to explain any aspect of the game. Think Sir Ron Lionheart with Final Fantasy 4.

Henroid on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Not exactly the best example, there.

Adus on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That sounds exactly like me morninglord HAVE YOU BEEN STALKING ME AGAIN?

again implies i stopped at some point

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like talkies more than silent flicks

Zen Vulgarity on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    JRPGs (really, pretty much any RPG) should not be video based.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    RPG's CAN be done in video format, though it is often better for screenshots. But something like Bethesda games are honestly better off as video, if only partly to show how bad the engine is and such. It just takes extra effort to put together enjoyable videos of these games.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Everybody just copy my LP style and then stop uploading videos after a few months.

You'll be famous and have weird stalker people in no time!

(Note: If you are British, just do what Hell does!)

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    JRPGs (really, pretty much any RPG) should not be video based.

I would love to hear an explanation for this

Rent on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That GiantBomb LP of Persona 4 sure was shit yup yup

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited February 2011
    I believe RPG video LPs are a pretty cool thing and certainly able to be entertaining.

I just personally would never want to LP a game that might take me SIXTY HOURS.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think if a game should be SS or video depends more on the game itself rather then the type of game it is.

Owenashi on
    edited February 2011
    I'd like to see a video LP of an RPG like Dragon Age or Mass Effect or whatever (something where you make choices) and have it be played by multiple people who randomly switch who is the current player.
    I want the main character to have multiple personality order.
    One guy starts out as this justice and peace loving hero, then another takes over and kills a family of kittens. Next player goes and does something else entirely. I think it would be fun.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Today with the wonderful animations, music, and fully-voice acted dialogue, I think there's something to be said for video format.

For a modern RPG, I would say do videos for significant events that drive the story in videos, and then do either screenshots or bonus videos for offside stuff (sidequests, inventory/character screen management).

Trynant on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe for shorter, 20ish hour RPGs like Mass Effect, but most LPers aren't entertaining enough to carry 60+ hours of commentary. Not to mention that most of those games don't really have compelling enough gameplay to watch for that long either.

Or maybe I'm just biased for liking SS LPs better in general.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    Maybe for shorter, 20ish hour RPGs like Mass Effect, but most LPers aren't entertaining enough to carry 60+ hours of commentary. Not to mention that most of those games don't really have compelling enough gameplay to watch for that long either.

Or maybe I'm just biased for liking SS LPs better in general.

No, I agree and I don't like SSLPs that much. A game like Dragon Age is very long and it has quite a lot of stretches of gameplay that can be uninteresting to play, much less watch. Yes, you can cut it out, but too much editing and you end up losing a lot of context for what you're actually showing.

But an SSLP of a 60 hour game is an incredible amount of work. A VLP would be too, of course, but you're increasing it by quite a bit by doing it in screenshot form. It's really no wonder most SSLPs of long JRPGs and the like rarely get finished despite the innumerable attempts.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited February 2011
    I guess the video LP would have to be almost edited like a movie. Cut out the really tedious things, maybe make kind of "fighting through the dungeon" montages with music, cuts and effects? Show off the more interesting parts in detail, commentate when necessary (almost like the commentary on a movie DVD), maybe even talk about specific scenes with multiple people (what is their opinion? how did they get through this? what did they choose? etc...)

I could see it being feasible, but ultimately a huge amount of work for (probably) very little "pay off".

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tell me about it.

Blain on
    edited February 2011
    Anything can work depending on your setup and how you approach it. The Tipping40's guys did both FFX and Tales of Symphonia in video form, but seeing that there were four of them, it was easier for them to provide general banter whereas if it were just one or two people they might have some trouble filling 30 hours worth.

I would never attempt a video LP of an RPG alone, however. It may be less work than screenshot, technically, but that's a long time to just listen to one voice.

Adus on
    edited February 2011

i read "flicks" as "fucks"

on top of that its you so i was like you know, its kind of likely that you would say that, its not unheard of....

it took me a few seconds to sort that one out

----

so if i did actually want to help out our [strike]elitist snobs[/strike] discerning fellows what should i use as an alternate mirror? i dont know anything about any hosting site other than yoobey toobey. the guides are all well and good but they're also only a few lines per site.

Morninglord on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Viddler even if it's a piece of shit. blip works too.

Shady3011 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    RPGs shouldn't be done as VLPs, unless it's ridiculously short.

I used videos to compliment SMT 1 & 2, like for boss fights, but the whole thing? God no.

That game took me like 45 hours to beat. Eff that.

cj iwakura on
    y3H3Fa4.png
    edited February 2011
    Henroid

Why are you so bad

at updating this thread

Adus on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    Not exactly the best example, there.

It wasn't until I was going to bed that it came to mind that he did videos for it that were him explaining items / storing them.

Henroid on
    edited February 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    Henroid

Why are you so bad

at updating this thread

To spite you, to be honest. It'll get done don't worry.

Henroid on
    edited February 2011

i read "flicks" as "fucks"

on top of that its you so i was like you know, its kind of likely that you would say that, its not unheard of....

it took me a few seconds to sort that one out

----

so if i did actually want to help out our [strike]elitist snobs[/strike] discerning fellows what should i use as an alternate mirror? i dont know anything about any hosting site other than yoobey toobey. the guides are all well and good but they're also only a few lines per site.

Fucks also works

Zen Vulgarity on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lots of heated debate on the Internet these past few pages between forum regulars about the best way to play games for other people

Did I miss any other thinly-veiled ways to imply you are all nerds
    I am a nerd

joshofalltrades on
    edited February 2011
    josh where's my meat boy you fuck

Zen Vulgarity on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    josh where's my meat boy you fuck

Up your butt

Blame Team Meat, I can't get started on it until the level editor arrives

joshofalltrades on
    edited February 2011
    Why

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited February 2011
    Because the editor is an integral part of my LP, and I've 100%'d the game 3 times already, so I need something new to motivate me

joshofalltrades on
    edited February 2011
    Do Prinny instead.

cj iwakura on
    y3H3Fa4.png
    edited February 2011
    What

joshofalltrades on
    edited February 2011
    The hardest platformer ever made.

cj iwakura on
    y3H3Fa4.png
    edited February 2011
    Oh it's a PSP game

I don't have one of those

joshofalltrades on
    edited February 2011
    Because the editor is an integral part of my LP, and I've 100%'d the game 3 times already, so I need something new to motivate me

But you're going to have to play through the game again for the LP anyway. Why wait?

Adus on
    edited February 2011
    Because it is a surprise you guys

joshofalltrades on