As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Forum Let's Play Archive - OLD THREAD IS OLD DON'T POST IN THIS ONE

• PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He's going to make a bunch of levels shaped like penises and then everyone's going to laugh and congratulate him on an awesome let's play.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Guys don't listen to her I was only going to make one and it was going to be shaped like Rent's penis

joshofalltrades on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    short level.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    short level.

who are you my girlfriend?

Rent on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If BJ was he'd also say it's unsatisfying and the A+ time is five seconds

Zen Vulgarity on
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    I guess the video LP would have to be almost edited like a movie. Cut out the really tedious things, maybe make kind of "fighting through the dungeon" montages with music, cuts and effects? Show off the more interesting parts in detail, commentate when necessary (almost like the commentary on a movie DVD), maybe even talk about specific scenes with multiple people (what is their opinion? how did they get through this? what did they choose? etc...)

I could see it being feasible, but ultimately a huge amount of work for (probably) very little "pay off".

I did a Fallout 3 one and I saw someone recently start a 100% Elder Scrolls one, which I will watch the whole way through if he updates it.

The Fallout 3 one ended up at about 30-ish hours and pretty much burned me out on making LPs for the time being though.

atat23 on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If BJ was he'd also say it's unsatisfying and the A+ time is five seconds

The bandage broke at the end

joshofalltrades on
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    BTW josh are you going to follow the 3+ month wait rule on Super Meat Boy?

I honestly would rather wait than have you try to rush this thing out the door.

Trynant on
    edited February 2011
    Almost all the feedback I've gotten on that front is "do it now", but you do know the game came out on October 20, right? So it's been longer than 3 months already.

joshofalltrades on
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Almost all the feedback I've gotten on that front is "do it now", but you do know the game came out on October 20, right? So it's been longer than 3 months already.

Well technically the PC version came out in December...sooooooo that kinda matters.

But hey if I'm in the minority here I guess go for it.

Trynant on
    edited February 2011
    Trynant wrote: »

Well technically the PC version came out in December...sooooooo that kinda matters.

But hey if I'm in the minority here I guess go for it.

Nov. 30, actually. But they're pretty much the same game, I don't see why it would matter in the least.

joshofalltrades on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i dont care about the rule (as in i respect that other people do but i don't actually give a shit myself if someone lets plays a new game)

but regardless, there would be new people playing the pc version who haven't played the other one

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited February 2011
    i dont care about the rule (as in i respect that other people do but i don't actually give a shit myself if someone lets plays a new game)

but regardless, there would be new people playing the pc version who haven't played the other one

The rule isn't actually about giving people a chance to play the game before you do the LP.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pancake wrote: »

The rule isn't actually about giving people a chance to play the game before you do the LP.

are you going to tell me what it is actually about then or are you going to just leave me hanging

because im trying to think of a sensible reason for such a rule in the absence of letting people play the game and i got nothing
    Don't LP a game that is new. Give new games a couple months past the initial launch before you LP it. I can't enforce this as a rule. Think of it as a request. Give people a chance to experience the game themselves, let the game get soaked up by most people. LP's aren't a race; if you feel the need to be the first person to LP a game, something is wrong with you (word to the wise, you don't actually gain internet fame for being the first). This is also a quality-assurance checkpoint. If you want, you can be like Helloween and do your LP whenever you please and make the thread for it after some time has passed.

This might need to be updated to reflect that it is wrong. Or perhaps it is not wrong. I don't know.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The "rule" exists to stop people from feeling like they need to rush an LP out as soon as a game is released, because that irrational need to hurry will ultimately sacrifice quality.

Adus on
    edited February 2011
    The ops wording introduces "let people play the game" as the first reason, with not rushing being a secondary reasoning.
    If you really don't want people to rush it just directly say "Don't RUSH a New Let's Play" don't have an abstract rule. It's too sideways. Too subtle.

Be simple. Be direct.

(I'm not arguing against anywone here I'm just commenting on the lack of clarity in the op for a new person reading it who hasn't engaged in all the conversations that ultimately led up to it being put in there.)

Morninglord on
    edited February 2011
    Both reasons carry equal weight, in my opinion.

There's nothing abstract about it. It's much easier to say "you must wait 3 months" than "don't rush!" because chances are the latter would get ignored due to being vague. "Pssh, I'm not rushing, I totally know what I'm doing despite this game only being a week old!"

Adus on
    edited February 2011
    So you disagree with pancake then.

To be honest if people want to rush let em. It'll suck and nobody will care about it, it'll die.
    Actually I guess that would get annoying. Nevermind that.

edit: Pancake this is all your fault.

Morninglord on
    edited February 2011
    Not exactly. I mean, unless you consider her saying "The rule isn't about that" and me saying "The rule isn't just about that" as a disagreement. I consider it more of an elaboration.

Adus on
    edited February 2011
    Adus man don't make me anymore confused. It's a contradiction.

It's okay you sorted me out I'm cool. I understand now.

Morninglord on
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The reason it annoys me is I had another LPer tell me he was going to LP New Vegas right away for the views and was surprised when I explained I'd be waiting at least another three months if I decided to LP it.

I said three months because it was in my head from this thread but what I really meant was that I needed a chance actually to play it.

I personally suspect anyone who LPs a game is just after the views but if it actually turns out to be good who gives a fuck.

atat23 on
    edited February 2011
    I'm uploading the first part. I got a copyright claim from Canal Teuve that means ads might appear.

I've never heard of canal teuve and they are sure as hell don't have anything to do with prototype. Should I dispute it as misidentified? I don't technically own the rights to prototype. I don't think Let's Plays are covered under fair use. Anyone had this happen?

A google search brought up a lot of foreign language sites and I can't seem to find a connection to prototype when I look into prototype itself.

Morninglord on
    edited February 2011
    If the only reason is to prevent people from rushing it, well, I've done the whole thing 3 times already. I don't see myself getting any more prepared.

All of this is a moot point though, since the level editor isn't out yet and I can't get started until it does.

joshofalltrades on
    edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsSkGtk9eNs

This is less than perfect, in my eyes. I messed about with audacity a lot trying to cover up for my too quiet moments and some times it sounds a bit off. I amplified anything quiet as much as I could and I made sure to reduce the game sound db a few decibels more when I autoducked.

But I also rambled a bit, said the wrong thing a few times and I talked too long at the start. Sorry about that. I also messed up at the end, I said it would be done but it wasn't.

I mainly did not fix these things because it's a 40 minute long video and I really liked the parts that did go well. I wouldn't be able to pull off the casual comments I made, which were completely unplanned, a second time. I don't work that way. I appear to be unable to do post commentary because planning what I want to say results in horrible. I'm going to attribute this one to a personal issue.

Anyway, in the future, if I make too many mistakes I'll just redo it because I'm only gonna do a few missions at a time. The rest of the update will be extra videos related to new powers, in game events and so on.

(Please tell me your comments as if I have not said all these things so that I can be sure I have not mistakenly assumed something important.)

Morninglord on
    edited February 2011
    I hate all the stuff you say at the beginning of the video and all the time you spend staring at the main menu.

Really, you're making it at PA. You're going to have an OP. You can put most of that stuff in it. Uuuuuuuuuugh.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I wasn't sure where to put that. I looked at other vids and people talk at the start of them. I could easily trim that whole section out if everybody hates it that much. It'd just take another few hours to reencode the file. Or maybe I could just find a splitter and cut it out of the file here then reupload. Should be able to find one that wont require a reencode.

Morninglord on
    edited February 2011
    People talk at the start of them like that in YouTube LPs. Do you want to be a YouTube LPer?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited February 2011
    I just want to show people my pokemons.

Just messing. This isnt a finalised video, I'm willing to cut certain things out and such. I've still got all the raw files.

Because I am using avisynth, which feeds in the raw unedited footage (video and audio) then through clever trickery and such lets me create an .avs file that behaves like the edited file.
    All I have to do to change this video is make changes to that .avs, which is basically lines of code in notepad. So suggest away.

Morninglord on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pancake wrote: »
    I hate all the stuff you say at the beginning of the video and all the time you spend staring at the main menu.

Really, you're making it at PA. You're going to have an OP. You can put most of that stuff in it. Uuuuuuuuuugh.

I won't echo Pancake's torment, but she's right.

I mean, we do have forumers here who just make LP's for the internet-at-large, and then share 'em with us, but if you're doing it for us then you can indeed put a lot of introductory stuff into the OP so the videos are right into the gameplay.

Henroid on
    edited February 2011
    I don't mind. Be harsh. I learn via trying then throwing out what doesn't work. Just tell me exactly what it is that you don't like so I can do something about it is all I ask.

Regarding the start, I could cut everything from 0:03 to 1:34.

Everything from "Hello all I am morninglord" to "I hope you will enjoy this let's play."

After that I'm showing where to find a menu option then starting it up.

OR I could skip straight to the intro cinematic if you think it doesn't need an intro at all.

There is some more talking that happens later. I specifically did this talking at places where I could easily silence the whole thing and trim the vid there without it looking strange. So if you think the talking later is also out of place tell me and I'll cut it too.

AvPMod is the sex.

Morninglord on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you can

Always start in media res

So much more interesting.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, as much as people like to show off the menus and all the options, no one actually gives a shit.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Have the first thing people see be the very first frame of the intro video, or maybe the title screen followed right away by the intro.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited February 2011
    If you can

media res?

ill cut everything before the intro.

is the rest of it okay?

if it is i can just cut the file i have

Morninglord on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you can

media res?

In the middle of, rather than directly at the start of. For example, Prototype's intro level

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited February 2011
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    If you can

media res?

In the middle of, rather than directly at the start of. For example, Prototype's intro level

So starting in the middle of the Prototype intro would be an in media res in another in media res?

You're blowing my mind elliotw2.

Trynant on
    edited February 2011
    So.. what I should stick the intro cinematic in a separate video and start at the gameplay? I'm fine with that but wouldn't people have to watch the cinematic anyway?

Morninglord on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    media res?

ill cut everything before the intro.

is the rest of it okay?

if it is i can just cut the file i have

Starting with the intro video would be fine because it's visually interesting, plus as somebody already observed the tutorial is in media res anyway :P

Just don't make the mistake I made a couple of times of menu talking.

I would watch this lp if you carried on btw.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited February 2011
    You could also take other lessons from his LP. Like not leaving it unfinished after a year.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Hmm looks like I can't cut accurately post encoding. It took three hours to encode. Would people die horribly and wail and nash their teeth if there are about 10 seconds of loading.
    Would you understand?
    Do you have sympathy???

If not looks like I gotta reencode this bitch. I'll wait until I get more feedback on it. If I have to cut out the other talky bits too then I definitely need to reencode.

Morninglord on