As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WARMACHINE and HORDES (a.k.a. Warmahordes)

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, I was looking forward to getting four of the books I didn't have...

..until I calculated shipping and it ended up being $20. The hell with that.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There's a part of me that wants to paint up all my stuff, take it down to the Penny Arcade offices, and see if they'll play a game or two with me.

I'd take Stryker for the first go, see if they're up to speed on the game, and then hit them with an eHaley or perhaps Siege.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dick.

That being said, a Penny Arcade tournament would be pretty cool.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Good news everyone! I got my bigass box of Menoth!

Fun fact on Vengers and Gravus: Horsedicks.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So you're saying if you ever assemble them you will suck like 100 horse dicks?

General Nemo on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yay! We're back!

Waitaminute, weren't we on the new thread? Or did that get lost?

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So you're saying if you ever assemble them you will suck like 100 horse dicks?

No, I'm saying that the [Mount] attack entry on their stat card is there for their ability to mount the enemy and kill them with the pewter cock and balls that they have been modeled with. You'd think it'd be a RNG 12 attack with Gunfighter and Powerful Charge, but I digress.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    What new thread?

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Was I just hallucinating then? I could have sworn Nechriah made a new thread and locked this one before the forum outage.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    He did. We lost something like a day of forum information.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Was I just hallucinating then? I could have sworn Nechriah made a new thread and locked this one before the forum outage.

There was no new thread.

admanb on
  • Options
    JonahtkeJonahtke Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    admanb wrote: »

There was no new thread.

The was indeed, something to the effect of "electric swan boogaloo". Went up had like two posts and then the forums died. Which reminds me I had a question that I didn't get answered on that one.

Privateer press has all of their old mk1 books on sale for 5 bucks. I thought I might pick up any that contain worthwhile story fluff. Can anyone recommend ones that I should get?

They have:
    Hordes:
    -Evolution
    -Metamorphosis
    Iron Kingdoms:
    -Witchfire trilogy
    Warmachine:
    -Escalation
    -Legends
    -Pirates of the Broken Coast
    -Prime Remix
    -Superiority

They also have the spiffy Lord Commander Stryker action figure down to 10 bucks for anybody who thought that it looked cool

Jonahtke on
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Trip report time.

Fun time in the game store yesterday, but too many losses :(

I ran:
    eHaley
    *Lancer
    *Stornclad
    *Squire
    Full precursor Knights + UA
    Gun Mages + UA
    Rhupert
    Either Gorman Die Wulfe, or Harlan Versh, depending on my opponent.

I played three games.
    My first game was against a Montenebra list that my opponent was just trying out. It had
    Montenebra
    *Deathjack
    *Nightmare
    *Slayer
    *Reaper
    *Deryliss
    2x Warwitch

He put spectral steel on the Deathjack, and ran it forward. The reaper was behind it, so I could see that he wanted me to charge it with my Stormclad and set myself up to get pulled in and killed by the reaper. allowing harlan versh to blow one of it's arms off second turn. I killed it with Harlan Versh and the PK's minifeat instead, then feated to buy another turn of attrition. He backed up, and I only managed to kill a warwitch and Deryliss, and knock the arms of the slayer my next turn. Then he feated, cast full throttle, sent nightmare ghostly, and bounced him off one flank of my precursor knights into my caster, and killed her.

Second game was against Karchev, running:
    Karchev
    *Spriggan
    *Juggernaut
    *Devastator
    Widowmakers
    The Great Bears
    pEyriss
    Manhunter

I ran my PKs onto a hill, cast deceleration and played dirge of mists, giving them a def of 18 against ranged attacks, moved everything else up behind them. He failed to do much damage with shooting. We had some confusion about whether a model with pathfinder could charge across a liner obstacle. The RAW seems to say no? Were we correct there? Anyway, I let him redeploy his manhunter slightly because of the confusion, so he charged Gorman, and killed him easily. He left enough focus on Karchev to bring him to armor 22. I charged him with my Stormclad, and did superficial damage to a few columns. Then I mini-feated with the PK's and failed the charge. I feated to try to stave off some of the retaliation. He still managed to kill the stormclad and engage my lancer with the bears. I managed to get a chage lane on karchev with a couple of PKs next turn, and failed to cripple any systems, but they did kill Eiryss. I conceded, since I didn't want to deal with the impending 3 turn slugfest as he killed my tough PK's while I failed to do enough damage.

Third game, against Baldur, he ran:
    Baldur
    *Megalith
    *Wold Guardian
    *Wold Watcher
    Sentry Stone
    Druids + UA
    Blackclad Wayfarer

I took first turn. Ran everyone up, then slaughtered the Advanced deployed Druids with a time bomb and an arcane bolt, but they made their command check. He moved up, killed a Precursor Knight with the Wold Watcher, and dropped a lot of forests and clouds. I shot the remaining Druids with my gun mages, moved up a little with the PK's in shieldwall and under Deceleration. I didn't bother with the Wold Watcher, since it was in stoneform and under stoneskin. He charged my lancer with megalith and crippled it. I charged Baldur with a Temporal-Acceleration'd, bonded, 4 focus Stormclad and killed him.

Order of activation issues plagued me througout the night, but I've started to get a handle on them. I found myself wanting more in the way of heavy hitters a lot though.

kaorti on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jonahtke wrote: »
    The was indeed, something to the effect of "electric swan boogaloo". Went up had like two posts and then the forums died. Which reminds me I had a question that I didn't get answered on that one.

There was no new thread.
    Privateer press has all of their old mk1 books on sale for 5 bucks. I thought I might pick up any that contain worthwhile story fluff. Can anyone recommend ones that I should get?

They have:
    Hordes:
    -Evolution
    -Metamorphosis
    Iron Kingdoms:
    -Witchfire trilogy
    Warmachine:
    -Escalation
    -Legends
    -Pirates of the Broken Coast
    -Prime Remix
    -Superiority

They also have the spiffy Lord Commander Stryker action figure down to 10 bucks for anybody who thought that it looked cool

Everything but Prime Remix, basically. All of the expansion books are like Winnie the Pooh* but you'll find the Prime stuff in Mk2.

*Stuffed with fluff.

admanb on
  • Options
    JonahtkeJonahtke Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ok last pictures of gun mages I promise. I'm really pleased with how they turned out once completed, granted I still have one left to paint before the unit is actually finished. Two big thanks for suggestions that were of great help to me. First to whoever recommended Testors to me, the glossy cote (yes cote) seems to be very solid, and the dull cote went on afterwords and you can't tell the gloss was ever there. And Second for the suggestion of panting the bases to show the front arc, I think this was a great idea and will prevent any "well he's actually facing THIS way" bickering down the road.

155814_1605878680809_1651424091_1382226_661224_n.jpg

65439_1605878840813_1651424091_1382227_4596394_n.jpg

Jonahtke on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    kaorti wrote: »
    Trip report time.

Second game was against Karchev, running:
    Karchev
    *Spriggan
    *Juggernaut
    *Devastator
    Widowmakers
    The Great Bears
    pEyriss
    Manhunter

I ran my PKs onto a hill, cast deceleration and played dirge of mists, giving them a def of 18 against ranged attacks, moved everything else up behind them. He failed to do much damage with shooting. We had some confusion about whether a model with pathfinder could charge across a liner obstacle. The RAW seems to say no? Were we correct there? Anyway, I let him redeploy his manhunter slightly because of the confusion, so he charged Gorman, and killed him easily. He left enough focus on Karchev to bring him to armor 22. I charged him with my Stormclad, and did superficial damage to a few columns. Then I mini-feated with the PK's and failed the charge. I feated to try to stave off some of the retaliation. He still managed to kill the stormclad and engage my lancer with the bears. I managed to get a chage lane on karchev with a couple of PKs next turn, and failed to cripple any systems, but they did kill Eiryss. I conceded, since I didn't want to deal with the impending 3 turn slugfest as he killed my tough PK's while I failed to do enough damage.

Pathfinder Advantage, Prime MKII pg. 34
    "This model can advance through rough terrain without penalty and can charge and make slam and trample power attacks across obstacles."

As for hitting power in eHailey lists, I find that taking out their Stormclad reduces the potential for greater damage output greatly. In your shoes, I would take a backup heavy so that you aren't completely reliant on the Precursor Knights mini feat to crack armor.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Trip report time.

Pathfinder Advantage, Prime MKII pg. 34
    "This model can advance through rough terrain without penalty and can charge and make slam and trample power attacks across obstacles."

As for hitting power in eHailey lists, I find that taking out their Stormclad reduces the potential for greater damage output greatly. In your shoes, I would take a backup heavy so that you aren't completely reliant on the Precursor Knights mini feat to crack armor.

Thanks for the rules clarification. Knowing that might have saved me vs Montenebra as well, since I could have charged the reaper with the PKs under Rhupert's marching song, instead of shieldwalling.

Where would you fit the backup heavy in? I could drop the Gun Mages down to the b13 and drop both solos to free up 8 points, but that drops my troubleshooting options down to "hit it with a stick, then hit it again."

Honestly, I think I should have used the feat turn to set up a better assassination run instead. I could have moved my PKs into easy charge range of Karchev, sent the stormclad after the bears instead and dropped a time bomb on Karchev. He'd have been almost stuck in place. I just had too much faith in my Stormclad's ability to put out crazy-high damage.

edit: Jonahtke, those gun mages are awesome, I wish that I could finish a unit so well in such a short time. What do you guys use for basic basing? I've got a bag of sand and some elmer's glue. Other than that I've got no idea about what to use, or how to use it.

kaorti on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's not unreasonable for Stormclads to kill a Karchev usually, but it's difficult to get him from 34 to 0 in one activation.
    It's really hard at the point level to squeeze in a second heavy for Cygnar. Maybe it would be better just to rely on the Stormclad bullet?

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's not unreasonable for Stormclads to kill a Karchev usually, but it's difficult to get him from 34 to 0 in one activation.
    It's really hard at the point level to squeeze in a second heavy for Cygnar. Maybe it would be better just to rely on the Stormclad bullet?

Yeah, I really liked how my list played. I just felt like I needed to learn how to react to different problems that the game presented to me.

I don't see much talk about the various mercenary solos out there. Everyone raves about Eiryss, Gorman and Rhupert, but what do you guys think about the other solos that could fit in those slots? I was pleasantly surprised when Harlan Versh took an arm off of the Deathjack in a single turn, and I'm sure that people have found some good uses for Lanyssa Ryssyl. What's the prevailing opinion on Taryn di la Rovissi or Gundrun the wanderer or Orrin Midwinter? Which 2 or 3 point Mercs/Minions hold a special place in your heart?

kaorti on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ogrun Bokurs are nice for Shield Guarding important things like Journeyman Warcasters or squishy warcasters. I like Orin in Zerkova Cryx hate lists.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I freaking love Lanyssa Ryssyl, especially in my Commander Nemo lists. That free charge with +2" of movement is wonderful, and when a focus-saving trick like that actually gives my warcaster *more* focus...well, that's just gravy.

Taryn, I want to like, but I haven't quite figured out the best use for her in a Cygnar list. Solo/ghost sniping and clearing a line for Aiyana to cast Kiss of Lyliss seem to be her main roles in my army right now.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hey, someone posted on here before the forum outage that they were getting rid of some Cryx stuff. I sent them a PM, but thanks to the reset both the post and my pm are gone. Whoever it was, can you PM me about it?

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It was General Nemo

Also
    AngrySwan.jpg

NEW THREAD TIME!

jackisreal on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ya'know what sucks? Having reznik dead to fucking rights next turn after owning the avatar and then having my 3 remaining stormblades take out the remaining 6 members of a unit of errants in their one activation. and then getting assault-> critted by the god-damn whack a mole bat jacks gun and burning to death in your next maintenance phase

son of a bitch

SJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    SJ wrote: »
    ya'know what sucks? Having reznik dead to fucking rights next turn after owning the avatar and then having my 3 remaining stormblades take out the remaining 6 members of a unit of errants in their one activation. and then getting assault-> critted by the god-damn whack a mole bat jacks gun and burning to death in your next maintenance phase

son of a bitch
    witches.jpg

I can't wait to play Reznik, his model looks so much cooler in person.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Reznik does own. I legitimately had that game in the bag until I refuged to my right instead of to the left. Dunno what I was thinking (actually I was afraid I wouldn't be able to kill the Avatar that turn and then he would rape me).

SJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Reznik is pretty darn awesome. He's been one of my two tournament casters (other being eFeora), and the amount of denial you can pack in his list is surprising. Plus who doesn't love wracking people, then blowing up said wrack to kill more people?

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Reznik is pretty darn awesome. He's been one of my two tournament casters (other being eFeora), and the amount of denial you can pack in his list is surprising. Plus who doesn't love wracking people, then blowing up said wrack to kill more people?

Communists.

What kind of list do you run with him?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Does the attack triggered by witch hound go off before, or after a spell is completed? If you kill a model casting a spell, does the spell still go off?

I was using Harlan Versh against circle, and this came up twice. Once when a druid was dropping a cloud, and once when Megalith was buffing itself.

kaorti on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Does the attack triggered by witch hound go off before, or after a spell is completed? If you kill a model casting a spell, does the spell still go off?

I was using Harlan Versh against circle, and this came up twice. Once when a druid was dropping a cloud, and once when Megalith was buffing itself.

The attack comes immediately after the spell is resolved. So, if pDenny were to cast Scourge(KD on hit) on my Reckoner(in Reznik's battlegroup), then the Reckoner would get knocked down, take damage, and then he would have his chance to attack(in this case he would not be able to, due to knock down).

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm thinking about this for a 35 point Trollblood list

Grim Angus

Troll Axer
    Troll Impaler
    Dire Troll Mauler
    Earthborn Dire Troll
    Trollkin Fennblades- Full unit
    Stone Scribe Chronicler
    Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew.

The basic plan would be to move up the middle with the Mauler and Axer up front, with the gobba's providing a smoke screen to stop them getting shot to hell. Impaler and Grim lurking behind them picking off enemies as they go.

While that's happening the Fennblades, Stonescribe and Earthen are moving up on the flank

Basic plan would be using the Fennblades as a tarpit to keep any blockers bogged down and then using Grim in combination with the Earthen and the Maulers Animus to do an assasination run on the opposing caster.

I'm basically just spitballing idea's at the moment and was wondering how more experienced players thought that would go/ tweaks i should make to the list.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Carnarvon wrote: »

The attack comes immediately after the spell is resolved. So, if pDenny were to cast Scourge(KD on hit) on my Reckoner(in Reznik's battlegroup), then the Reckoner would get knocked down, take damage, and then he would have his chance to attack(in this case he would not be able to, due to knock down).

Hence why I take 3 heavies with Reznik. Knock down the Reckoner and the Vanq shoots. Freeze the Vanq and the Crusader beats on you. Parasite the Crusader and Reznik walks up and beats your caster.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    My current 35 point list is:
    Reznik
    Reckoner
    Vanquisher

Min Choir
    Vassal
    Covenant
    Full Errants + UA
    Full Bastions
    Wracks

At 50 points I add in eEiryss, a Templar, Gorman, and then the last two goes to either an Errant Seneschal, a Hierophant, or Anastasia diBray. Still figuring out which is best. I've also played around with jacks, trying to figure out which ones are best with him. Tried a Templar/Dervish/Repenter combo before, because the Dervish is a great little assassination tool (as can the Templar be) with Sidestep(/Beatback), Iron Aggression, and Perdition helping me get in the place I want. You can hit people from surprisingly far away.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm thinking about this for a 35 point Trollblood list

Grim Angus

Troll Axer
    Troll Impaler
    Dire Troll Mauler
    Earthborn Dire Troll
    Trollkin Fennblades- Full unit
    Stone Scribe Chronicler
    Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew.

The basic plan would be to move up the middle with the Mauler and Axer up front, with the gobba's providing a smoke screen to stop them getting shot to hell. Impaler and Grim lurking behind them picking off enemies as they go.

While that's happening the Fennblades, Stonescribe and Earthen are moving up on the flank

Basic plan would be using the Fennblades as a tarpit to keep any blockers bogged down and then using Grim in combination with the Earthen and the Maulers Animus to do an assasination run on the opposing caster.

I'm basically just spitballing idea's at the moment and was wondering how more experienced players thought that would go/ tweaks i should make to the list.

What does the Mauler add to this list that a different heavy couldn't do better? I don't really see Rage helping anyone out that much (maybe the lights). I'd much rather have a Bomber in the list. It'd give you a little anti-infantry to round it out, since the Earthborn has the anti-armor covered. Plus, the Bomber can still back him up there, if needed.

If you have the models, I'd play it out a couple times as is. I really want to fit the Fenn's UA in there, though.

Toothy on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Mauler was mostly in there to act as a generalised beatstick and to let Grim throw Rage onto the Earthen during an assasination run. I think i'll give it a few tries like than and then give the bomber a go.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, after some consideration I'm thinking maybe I should start with a more established faction since there's more options, at least to start off.

I'm liking the toughness of the Skorne, so far they're the only ones I've played, but just a battle-box game with Kaorti on Vassal. I was also considering Orboros and Everblight. I think I'd prefer Everblight over Orboros, if it was possible to have a more melee centric army with them. I have gathered that they're often rather range-heavy, and while I'm not opposed to ranged PER SE, I'd prefer not to have to be tied down to relying on range, which is one reason Orboros might appeal to me more than Everblight.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'd say pick the models you like the most.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think Orboros look cool, and Skorne are pretty badass, but based on aesthetics I'd have to go with Everblight, I just love all their freaky monsters and monstrous lesser warbeasts and such.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Then there's your answer!

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Alternately, I'd go with the army that you enjoy the mechanics of the most. I got into this game for the gameplay, and I consider the look of my models to be secondary. I wouldn't play with models I thought looked ugly, but other than that I'd rather play with models that acted cool on the table. One of the players at my FLGS picked up Searforge based on aesthetics, but dropped them because he couldn't make their on-table mechanics work out.

All three of the the armies you mention can be played in different ways, depending on the casters, beasts and units you choose. With legion, I wouldn't be to worried about getting stuck into a ranged-heavy list though. They have really nice ranged options, but their melee options are very dangerous as well.

If you don't want to rely on ranged attacks as the main focus in your army, but like legion's feel, have a look at the Carnivean, your lesser warbeasts and swordsmen. They all provide high level melee threat.

Of course, you give up durability. I wouldn't go with Everblight if you liked playing an attrition-style game. I was surprised at my inability to hurt you in our battlebox game, and If I was to pick up a Hordes faction, It would definitely be Skorne.

kaorti on
This discussion has been closed.