Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Windows 7 and normal, non-admin users

DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Just a quick question on Win7:

Is there any way to let a normal account (non-admin) have rights to set the IP address? As in: Be able to set a static address from the machine manually, or let the DHCP do it.

I need a normal account to be able to do this, but I don't really want to grant admin privileges here.

Thanks for your time. :D

steam_sig.png
Drovek on

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In Win7 Professional and Ultimate you can add local users to a Network Operators local group.

As far as I know there's no way to do it on Home Premium.

Ruckus on
    Raneados wrote: »
    so what SPECIFICALLY is the problem with my hole?
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That sounds great.

Tried Googling a how-to guide for doing that, but couldn't find any.

Care to enlighten me, please?

EDIT: Right when I ask I find how to... classic.

Well, thank you very much anyways!

(Case closed!)

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png
  • embrikembrik Registered User
    edited August 2010
    Start -> Run -> compmgmt.msc <enter>
    Expand System Tools, Local Users and Groups, Groups
    Double click on "Network Configuration Operators"
    Click Add
    Type in the username, click ok.
    Click OK again.
    You're done. Close the open Computer Management window.

Of course, as Ruckus stated, you must have Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate to even see that group.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oops:

Hello again. Yeah, it's Win7 Enterprise (64Bits, if that matters.)

I already added the user in question to the Group, so now the user gets the UAC dialogue asking for password (and the normal-user is in the list presented.) The problem is that after that it just displays a dialogue saying

"You do not have sufficient privileges for configuring connection properties. Contact your administrator."

Tried Googling that and apparently it's some sort of Win7 problem, but haven't found a fix for it yet.

Anyone knows?

Thanks in advance.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png