As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Considering moving to Grenada

ManofSteelManofSteel Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
A good friend of mine recently was accepted to a university in Grenada and asked if I would like to move with him. Currently I'm finishing school (and will be done before my friend moves) in a lucrative field that has no shortage of jobs. Location is also not a factor in regards to my future career so figure I just might tag along and live in the Caribbean for a few years but here's the catch, I know little to nothing about Grenada. I'm trying to find some stuff online but most of it is tourist stuff, which does help a little bit. Any advice you guys have about living abroad or living in the Caribbean? I know its a shot in the dark but anything you guys might know about day to day life in Grenada, life in the Caribbean and specifically laws on firearms (my career is somewhat dependent on firearms.)

ManofSteel on

• Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are you some sort of contract killer or something O.o

Um, I guess the first thing would be to make sure you actually want to pick up your entire life and settle in an entirely foreign land.

Unless this friend is your significant other or something, and you're very sure you want to spend your life with them, it seems to me that this is something being taken a bit lightly.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    depends on where you're living
    is your friend going to st georges?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ManofSteelManofSteel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yes, my friend is moving to St. George's

No, I'm not an assassin, lol. My friend is not a significant other, just a very good friend of many years. I still haven't decided whether or not I'm going to move, I'm just looking for more information so I can make a well informed decision. I have already decided to leave my current city though, country is still up for debate (I've lived in SD for the past 20 years and it's time for a change.)

ManofSteel on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ManofSteel wrote: »
    Yes, my friend is moving to St. George's

No, I'm not an assassin, lol. My friend is not a significant other, just a very good friend of many years. I still haven't decided whether or not I'm going to move, I'm just looking for more information so I can make a well informed decision. I have already decided to leave my current city though, country is still up for debate (I've lived in SD for the past 20 years and it's time for a change.)

You already live in arguably the best city in the US!

But I say do it, it'd be a good experience.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For most tourism-driven islands, the cost of living (food, etc.) is usually extremely high. I've never been to Grenada specifically, but you should do some research about the costs.

adytum on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You're young, single, and have nothing really anchoring you down. I'd go for it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    For most tourism-driven islands, the cost of living (food, etc.) is usually extremely high. I've never been to Grenada specifically, but you should do some research about the costs.

How much worse can it be than San Diego?

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    You're young, single, and have nothing really anchoring you down. I'd go for it.

What he said. And if it doesn't work out, well, you're out the cost of a return plane ticket, no big deal.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    adytum wrote: »

How much worse can it be than San Diego?

I don't know, but OP can presumably work in SD. Can OP legally work in Grenada to afford the cost of living?

Just things to take into consideration. I'd probably go if it were me, if I could sort working out first. Unless you're independently wealthy that is.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    grenada has a relatively high cost of living compared to other caribbean islands but the area St. George's is in is quite nice. Just as an aside, don't expect to be able to hang out with your buddy too often and there will be times when he will be downright unpleasant to be around. He is going to be a medical student after all. If you're cool with being supportive of his endeavors and can independently entertain yourself then I would say go for it, and I'm sure he will absolutely grateful to have a friend like you around. Look into getting a visa that allows employment though, otherwise things will get boring real quick. As far as what being on the island is like, I would suggest looking at these forums its for st george's students but the individual accounts on what its like to move and live there will be helpful for you in making your decision.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not an advise, but I'd just like to say that I want your job, whatever it is :P

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I got to spend some time on Grenada not too long ago.

I'd do it.

Sure, things are a little pricier than other islands in that particular chain, but it'll still be cheaper than living in San Diego. Out of curiosity, what is it that you are graduating with a degree in?

A few years in paradise? Well, if it doesn't work for you, you can always move back to the states. No fuss, no muss.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Of all the islands I've been to in the Caribbean, Grenada is by far my favourite.

However, if you're considering moving down there, at least take a vacation to check it out. It's also a pretty slow moving place and that might not be to your tastes.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    an_alt wrote: »
    Of all the islands I've been to in the Caribbean, Grenada is by far my favourite.

However, if you're considering moving down there, at least take a vacation to check it out. It's also a pretty slow moving place and that might not be to your tastes.

lol yes
    do not bring your american notions about how service industries should work down there cause the people will just give you the stink eye and work even slower. Being in the caribbean will teach you a lot about patience or it'll drive you insane til you snap.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Make sure to visit the Alhambra and enjoy the gardens.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    SuziMasSuziMas Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Grenada is a small and beautiful island. I know of several people who have moved out there to be close to friends and partners - some of them have also enrolled at SGU in MBA and other programmes to fill the time and have an extra qualification in the process. The island can be expensive if you eat out at restaurants daily and only use taxis - however, if you are happy to live as a local and use buses, etc., it is quite reasonable. The pace of life is very slow and if you are happy to live a laid-back lifestyle for a while - go for it! It is a very safe island and you will be comfortable doing things on your own - i.e., going to the beach, walking, jogging, riding the buses, etc. The True Blue area where the SGU campus is located is fairly quiet but the neighbouring Grand Anse area has shopping malls, banks, supermarkets, beaches, bistros/cafe's etc. If any/all of the above appeals to you, you will have a great time in Grenada!

SuziMas on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've never lived at any place exotic, but it's always been a dream of mine, and as a result i've been fortunate enough to have traveled to a lot of exotic locales.

Something I realized they all have in common is the mindset and attitude of the people. You need to be one chill person to make the most of it; if you're not extremely laid back, things will get boring quick. This is kind of blunt, but it's probably something you need to prepare for in order to "maintain" your sanity, else you'll be pining for your life back home in San Diego.

Great example is when I went to the Cayman Islands a few years back. Spent a whole week there and had a blast. Came back another year via cruise stop destination for an afternoon and wondered how the hell I managed not to die of boredom.

You need to ask yourself if you're comfortable with dealing this for a number of months/years, because chances are you won't have access to a bustling metropolis at your every command. It sounds silly, but it's something to give some serious thought to.

Godfather on