As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

capitalism sucks

WhatToThinkWhatToThink Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just moved to a new city to go to grad school and I am jobless. Basically I need some advice on places to apply at and what stores are good to work at and what stores aren't. I applied at a Best Buy and a Starbucks but I would like to apply to some other places. I have experience doing computer repair, graphic design, photography, and other stuff of that nature but I am getting desperate and will apply pretty much anywhere haha. Thanks for the help!

WhatToThink on

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In this economy, the good places to work are the ones that will hire you. Start putting your application everywhere, and get rid of the attitude that some places aren't worth your application.

Seriously, just walk down the street and apply everywhere.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    In this economy, the good places to work are the ones that will hire you. Start putting your application everywhere, and get rid of the attitude that some places aren't worth your application.

Seriously, just walk down the street and apply everywhere.

Yeah pretty much this. I've been laid off so many times in the past 2 years because employers "cant afford me" it's sickening.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I just moved to a new city to go to grad school and I am jobless. Basically I need some advice on places to apply at and what stores are good to work at and what stores aren't. I applied at a Best Buy and a Starbucks but I would like to apply to some other places. I have experience doing computer repair, graphic design, photography, and other stuff of that nature but I am getting desperate and will apply pretty much anywhere haha. Thanks for the help!

You said it in your OP. Apply pretty much anywhere (Read: Everywhere). Take the first one you get. If you don't like it, keep applying to other places while working to find something you like more. Don't turn down a job because "I'm too good for that."

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Been working at McDonalds for a couple of years now. It ain't hard to work your way up to management, and it pays my bills.

Suck it up, and get a job.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dont give up, I applied to over 40 places and got turned down by each one of them (but in the end managed to snag a little something. It doesn't pay well, but some money is better than no money!)

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    no harm searching craigslist or putting up services on craigslist

example, in college, one old lady paid me like 30 bucks an hour, cash, a few hours a week to teach her photoshop

ain't no job job, but its money

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Duck'n'CoverDuck'n'Cover Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Upload your CV to different job sites that agencies look at, let them do the leg work for you.

Honestly, i was unemployed for about 9 months having very little luck getting any responses, let alone interviews until i did this. Literally 2 hours after uploading my CV, i had an agency on the phone asking me if i was interested in a job they thought suited me. Had an interview next day and had the job the day after.

Duck'n'Cover on
    demomansig.jpg
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DucknCover wrote: »
    Upload your CV to different job sites that agencies look at, let them do the leg work for you.

Honestly, i was unemployed for about 9 months having very little luck getting any responses, let alone interviews until i did this. Literally 2 hours after uploading my CV, i had an agency on the phone asking me if i was interested in a job they thought suited me. Had an interview next day and had the job the day after.

Temp agencies are indeed doing fairly well right now, because a lot of employers need to fill support positions but are gunshy about hiring permanent people. So they hire medium- to long-term temps. The life of a temp is always tentative and uncomfortable, but it beats flipping burgers.

Hachface on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    DucknCover wrote: »

Temp agencies are indeed doing fairly well right now, because a lot of employers need to fill support positions but are gunshy about hiring permanent people. So they hire medium- to long-term temps. The life of a temp is always tentative and uncomfortable, but it beats flipping burgers.

I was getting recruited by temp agencies for $20 - $25 / hour a few years ago when I was in college, but the economy was strong and my services were in demand.

Nothing wrong with temping at all.

adytum on
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Look up the local hospitals. There is a wide variety of jobs in a hospital: administrative jobs, orderly, food services, cleaning, etc. I worked at the medical records department for a few years and it was great. It helps if you're willing to do shift work, especially over the weekends.

physi_marc on
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I probably applied to 200 places or more about a year ago when I was looking for a job. I got one offer from a telemarketing place that I turned down, but other than that, no reply...I just don't think I could stomach telemarketing.

Ended up I got a job because of a friend of mine. Apply everywhere, but this is only assuming there is no possible way that you can get in somewhere someone you know works at. That's how I've gotten 95% of my jobs, and the other job I that I applied for wasn't that great. Talk to people and see if they know anywhere that needs people. This is my #1 advice for getting a job.

RadicalTurnip on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Find a restaurant that looks like it is consistently busy and ask to be the kitchen bitch. Chances are, you'll get hired. You can worry about finding a more appropriate/familiar job in the mean time, and since kitchen work has a high turnover rate, quitting a month or two in isn't a big deal.

EDIT

Also, if you apply for a place, see a bulletin or flier, or put your resume into a database, and get a call from some one who is kinda ambiguous about what it is that you'll be doing, but want you to come in to talk about it with them, then ignore it. Chances are, it's Vector. Or one of the companies like it, and it's a scam.

Sheep on