As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[One Piece] His dream has changed but innuendo is forever

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ferquin wrote: »
    I've purchased all up to the latest DVD (which just came out...I think...last month?), which finished the Skypiea arc. Last I saw, the Straw Hats fell from the sky into what appears to be a Navy outpost.

I know that the official subs on the FUNimation site skips far ahead and has been matching the Japanese release, but I kinda want to stick to watching it in order. I wish FUNimation would at least sub everything in between and post them, but I understand they want to sell DVDs too. Next volume comes out in April. I'm currently suffering from withdrawal.

I suppose my only other option is reading the manga, but I honestly don't have space to put 50+ volumes of manga (or that much cash to buy it all). I'd certainly love to read them though. I just...can't. And no, I don't know anybody who has 'em so borrowing is out of the question. Which is why I've been sticking to the anime.

I guess I'll just have to deal with spoilers, even though I won't know what you're all talking about for however many years it takes FUNimation to catch up on the DVDs. God, they're release schedule is slow. They claim they've recorded far up ahead into the 200s and have been on recording hiatus ever since. I don't see why they can't just keep cranking out the DVDs monthly and continuously record more episodes. But I digress...

Out of curiosity, is there any changes from adapting the anime from the manga? Like manga-only vs. anime-only characters or filler arcs, character quirks, events, dialogue, names, etc.

Ok, so if you are wanting to read the manga, you can start at Volume 32.

That is the end of the Skypiea arc. The anime there goes into a filler arc, but the manga continues to the Davy Back Fight mini-arc which starts with the last couple of chapters of that volume.

The streaming episodes on Funimations official site pick up roughly in the middle of Volume 51 and continue through the current episodes airing on Japanese TV (which is right in the middle of Vol 59 now)

So you basically have 20 volumes and 3 large story arcs to cover before you can watch the official episodes again. Best start going to Barnes and Noble on lunch breaks and reading through some I guess.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think B&N went bankrupt

Godfather on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Borders is the one that went bankrupt recently. B&N is still around I think. Books a Million too.

You get the point though.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    I think B&N went bankrupt

That's Border's.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Chapter 615:
    I was expecting that to be Fisher Tiger's grave when I first saw it, which reminded me of a question: did we ever find out what happened to him? I gather he's dead now, but I don't remember if we know how.

He's dead for sure. How is unknown but I'd venture a guess that one dude doesn't lay seige to a city as important as that and make it out alive
    It's a massive plot point in this arc and was explained quite clearly about 5(?) chapters ago. He was heavily wounded in a battle and needed a blood transfusion to survive. None of the humans around would give their blood to a fishman so FT eventually died from his injuries.

I'm actually waiting for that to be proven bullshit

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the tips. I may go and start the manga. Hell, maybe I can figure out some way to buy them and store them somehow. Fifty+ volumes is a tall order.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    darunia106 wrote: »
    kdrudy wrote: »
    New chapter's out
    Man, Van der Decken's devil fruit is broken as crap.

Also, One Piece: Gigant Battle is being localized for Europe.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/10/one-piece-gigant-battle-stretches-into-europe/

However it's for the DS so yay imports!
    Except he does have the touch limit we speculated on several chapters ago, that tones it down a lot.
    True. Ussop would be the perfect opponent for him. He can't touch him!
    There is no way that that glove isn't coming off and Decken accidentally touches Usopp. Then, Marksman fight.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Chapter 615:
    I was expecting that to be Fisher Tiger's grave when I first saw it, which reminded me of a question: did we ever find out what happened to him? I gather he's dead now, but I don't remember if we know how.

He's dead for sure. How is unknown but I'd venture a guess that one dude doesn't lay seige to a city as important as that and make it out alive
    Actually he made it alive I think. He died because he was low on blood and didn't receive a blood transfusion in time.

Godfather on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Radius wrote: »
    New chapter's out

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/10/one-piece-gigant-battle-stretches-into-europe/

Except he does have the touch limit we speculated on several chapters ago, that tones it down a lot.
    There is no way that that glove isn't coming off and Decken accidentally touches Usopp. Then, Marksman fight.
    Nah. He's the big bad. Luffy gets him.

He'll touch Luffy and then we'll see how obscene his "see the future" Haki is

Jragghen on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the tips. I may go and start the manga. Hell, maybe I can figure out some way to buy them and store them somehow. Fifty+ volumes is a tall order.

Please read the manga. And buy it someday. I personally do not think that the anime does the artstyle justice though it is better at portraying action scenes.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Radius wrote: »
    New chapter's out

Nah. He's the big bad. Luffy gets him.

He'll touch Luffy and then we'll see how obscene his "see the future" Haki is
    I think Hodi will be the big bad Luffy has to fight

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think Hodi will be the big bad Luffy has to fight

I agree.
    The whole: "Don't fight Hodi Jones" warning that Jimbei is supposed to leave for Luffy might hint to this fact. Not to mention I love the idea of Usopp fighting Decken.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Chapter 615:

It's a massive plot point in this arc and was explained quite clearly about 5(?) chapters ago. He was heavily wounded in a battle and needed a blood transfusion to survive. None of the humans around would give their blood to a fishman so FT eventually died from his injuries.
    I remember that, but I wonder who that battle was with. It couldn't have been the Mariejoa one since I believe he went on to found the Sunny pirates after Mariejoa.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is there any color pics of Hodi Jones yet? If not, anyone think he's probably fairly similar to Arlong in color scheme?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Is there any color pics of Hodi Jones yet? If not, anyone think he's probably fairly similar to Arlong in color scheme?

Every time a new character appears in the manga, I am completely off on their color scheme. I'm not sure why, but 100% of the time Oda pulls a color that I really wasn't expecting.

So given that anecdote, anything but light-green.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've purchased all up to the latest DVD (which just came out...I think...last month?), which finished the Skypiea arc. Last I saw, the Straw Hats fell from the sky into what appears to be a Navy outpost.

I know that the official subs on the FUNimation site skips far ahead and has been matching the Japanese release, but I kinda want to stick to watching it in order. I wish FUNimation would at least sub everything in between and post them, but I understand they want to sell DVDs too. Next volume comes out in April. I'm currently suffering from withdrawal.

I suppose my only other option is reading the manga, but I honestly don't have space to put 50+ volumes of manga (or that much cash to buy it all). I'd certainly love to read them though. I just...can't. And no, I don't know anybody who has 'em so borrowing is out of the question. Which is why I've been sticking to the anime.

I guess I'll just have to deal with spoilers, even though I won't know what you're all talking about for however many years it takes FUNimation to catch up on the DVDs. God, they're release schedule is slow. They claim they've recorded far up ahead into the 200s and have been on recording hiatus ever since. I don't see why they can't just keep cranking out the DVDs monthly and continuously record more episodes. But I digress...

Out of curiosity, is there any changes from adapting the anime from the manga? Like manga-only vs. anime-only characters or filler arcs, character quirks, events, dialogue, names, etc.

I love the dub, I think it's better than the original, actually. I know how you feel. But don't be too hard on Funi. Their One Piece release schedule has actually been quite speedy for anime. They get out 4/5 sets a year at least, usually, which is faster than comparable series like Naruto and Bleach. I don't think they'd want to rely on people being willing to shell out the money for a set every month, either.

I don't think it's totally confirmed that they've dubbed that far in advance. Actually, no releases past Season 3 have been announced yet, which makes me worried. Something tells me they're wrapped up in liscencing talks with Toei. I don't know if we can count on Season 4 starting this year. It could happen, but...we really should have heard something by now.

Honestly, as someone who tried to wait and just couldn't, I say just bite the bullet and start on fansubs until you catch up to official subs. For the most part they're fine, though they do some annoying things like keep honorifics and refuse to translate "nakama" into anything. The upcoming big arc shortly after Skypia is awesome, and worth seeing.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    From February 17 till March 1st, One Piece will be featured on one of Tokyo's most busiest railway line.

Essentially, the cars will be festooned with scenes from the manga in place of advertising.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

They're the same type of Fishman so probably.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This weeks episode
    I hate Coby. He is such an annoying character. Glad we got to see red hair finally.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I thought tonight's episode was utterly fantastic, in a long line of utterly fantastic episodes. But for this episode at least, I thought the manga pulled it off better.

Now begins:
    The long period of cooling down episodes.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    kfrooster wrote: »
    From February 17 till March 1st, One Piece will be featured on one of Tokyo's most busiest railway line.

Essentially, the cars will be festooned with scenes from the manga in place of advertising.

Holy shit, that is bananas

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Episode 488:
    Obviously, I was looking forward to this episode, and the scene in question was awesome, Ben Beckman is a badass. The guy pulls a gun on Kizaru at a distance and gets him to stand down! That's insane, dude is made of fucking LIGHT, and he's cautious of this guy with a gun. Such a cool moment.

DHS on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

And I'm going to probably be in Tokyo to see this next week!

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

And I'm going to probably be in Tokyo to see this next week!

Take pictures.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    huh, was gonna go to onepieceofficial.com to watch the latest episode, but Chrome is telling me it's got malware on it all of a sudden?

Anyone else seeing any such message?

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    huh, was gonna go to onepieceofficial.com to watch the latest episode, but Chrome is telling me it's got malware on it all of a sudden?

I think someone at one of the "illegitimate" One Piece sites is abusing a malware reporting service, because it I cannot think of reason for Funimation to be attacking the site that it is listed as attacking in "Why is this happening?" link on Firefox.

DHS on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kasanagi wrote: »

Firefox is telling me the same thing.

I ignored the warning and passed on through to the main website, and it looks like the HTML is all messed up when I do.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Please read the manga. And buy it someday. I personally do not think that the anime does the artstyle justice though it is better at portraying action scenes.

Oh, don't worry, I intend to buy and read the manga. I can already tell that the anime kinda takes its liberties sometimes, depending on who did the directing that episode or character designs, etc. It still weirds me out sometimes when Nami's boobs keep changing size every other episode. This is what happens when you have a huge series and have to outsource to smaller studios to get it all done.
    I love the dub, I think it's better than the original, actually. I know how you feel. But don't be too hard on Funi. Their One Piece release schedule has actually been quite speedy for anime. They get out 4/5 sets a year at least, usually, which is faster than comparable series like Naruto and Bleach. I don't think they'd want to rely on people being willing to shell out the money for a set every month, either.
    Well, not only that, but they're pretty much the only successful anime company in America at the moment. They're busy dubbing a million other titles and rescuing old ones. Aside from Bandai and Aniplex, they're pretty much the only game around now.
    I don't think it's totally confirmed that they've dubbed that far in advance. Actually, no releases past Season 3 have been announced yet, which makes me worried. Something tells me they're wrapped up in liscencing talks with Toei. I don't know if we can count on Season 4 starting this year. It could happen, but...we really should have heard something by now.
    Luci Christian, Nami's English VA, was at Sakura Con last year, and I asked her this, and without trying to give too much away, she basically said they've recorded that far. And this is pretty much confirmed based on the commentary tracks for the DVDs. The English recordings are far ahead, and they're in hiatus, and the VAs keep commenting on wishing that they could get back into One Piece recording again.
    Honestly, as someone who tried to wait and just couldn't, I say just bite the bullet and start on fansubs until you catch up to official subs. For the most part they're fine, though they do some annoying things like keep honorifics and refuse to translate "nakama" into anything. The upcoming big arc shortly after Skypia is awesome, and worth seeing.
    Nope, not gonna go that route. I will have patience, and try to catch up by buying the manga little by little. I want One Piece to be successful monetarily.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

They're the same type of Fishman so probably.

Are they? The translations I've read say Hodi is a great white shark and Arlong IIRC was a "sawfish" in the one I read.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeahhhhh, probably not a good idea to name actual websites where you can watch. Cause, you know, that's the kind of shit that brings the mods down on these threads hard.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Arlong is a great white shark. His nickname is Saw-tooth Arlong for obvious reasons.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pretty sure Arlong is one of these things.

Schide on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Shit is getting real-er.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, I guess that explains Arlong and his brother, huh

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Looks like a new chapter is out.
    It's nice to see what Franky and Robin have been doing all this time.

I loved the "Was one of your ancestors a robot?" line.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    Looks like a new chapter is out.
    It's nice to see what Franky and Robin have been doing all this time.

I loved the "Was one of your ancestors a robot?" line.
    I like how Franky's hair grew out to a mohawk when he asked that.

I wonder if his hair growth is based on his emotions. I hope we get some hair based robot attacks when he get to fighting.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    THAT DOESN'T EXPLAIN HOW THEY HAVE SEX!

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    THAT DOESN'T EXPLAIN HOW THEY HAVE SEX!

Well, like fish I would guess.