As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[One Piece] His dream has changed but innuendo is forever

• Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wrong wrong wrong, THIS is the best use of that song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cZOQ8ZwJlE&translated=1

Camui on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't need to watch it to know it doesn't have a robot with a mohawk using a magnetic grappling line to swing from a crane to tackle an old man on a boat. Or Michael McKean. So obviously, it can't be better.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    darunia106 wrote: »
    This is probably a good time to rewatch Water 7 / Eneis Lobby.

OR TO START WATCHING/READING ONE PIECE, all you lurkers who are on the fence.

YES. WE ARE TALKING TO YOU OUT THERE.

You have a month to catch up, don't cast judgement until you've read the Arlong arc.

GO!

Aren't there like, 500 issues out already, though? I know Bleach is around 400, and One Piece has been out longer I think.

Although I have been considering going through the wiki and trying to pick it up if they're really doing a time skip/reboot...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You have a month to do a little less than 600 chapters.

I did 800+ chapters in 4 days of another series.

Get to work.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also, no OP thread is complete without this:

http://www.veoh.com/browse/morelike/v1107657Jy6DmeRX

Camui on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »
    This is probably a good time to rewatch Water 7 / Eneis Lobby.

OR TO START WATCHING/READING ONE PIECE, all you lurkers who are on the fence.

YES. WE ARE TALKING TO YOU OUT THERE.

You have a month to catch up, don't cast judgement until you've read the Arlong arc.

GO!

Aren't there like, 500 issues out already, though? I know Bleach is around 400, and One Piece has been out longer I think.

Although I have been considering going through the wiki and trying to pick it up if they're really doing a time skip/reboot...

Almost 600 now!

But it goes fast, honestly. Just be aware that most of the early chapters have awful translations and scans.

Might be better to watch the anime up until Loguetown

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well I already know the basic plot, all the main characters, and a good amount of other info.

Maybe I could just skim the wiki and start on the last arc? I did about the same with Bleach, but that was back when I only had 200 issues/100 episodes to understand.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Most people will say watch/read everything, but whatever works for you, ultimately. But I'd start at the beginning anyway, it has a way of hooking you and soon you've read or watched 400 chapters or episodes and wonder where the time went.

If you want to try an abbreviated run, go with the Arlong Park, Alabasta, Water 7/Eneis Lobby arcs, in that order.

If you absolutely 100% are dead set on skimming the wiki, then starting the newest, just know that it starts with Sabaody Archipelago.

But seriously, start from the beginning.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh shit, new favorite AMV!

[u rl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krz4Z0ogws4[/url]

That's well done, but for that song, nothing will top the TTGL one.

As a sidenote, does anyone know where the original "I'm On a Boat" One Piece AMV is? I think it got taken down from youtube, and there's a bunch of shitty ones now. :(

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well I already know the basic plot, all the main characters, and a good amount of other info.

Maybe I could just skim the wiki and start on the last arc? I did about the same with Bleach, but that was back when I only had 200 issues/100 episodes to understand.

I wouldn't recommend that

Oda is all about calling back to seemingly insignificant characters/ideas hundreds of chapters down the line. Hell, he just started explaining something that's apparently been hinted at since chapter 2.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »

Oda is all about calling back to seemingly insignificant characters/ideas hundreds of chapters down the line. Hell, he just started explaining something that's apparently been hinted at since chapter 2.

Also, One Piece lives from how it builds up tension. "Just" skimming the wiki severly damages that. At least begin to read from the beginning of the Archipel arc.

C2B on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »

Chapter 1 actually.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

IMO read the whole thing, because it's awesome

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    New episode tonight should...
    show just how powerful Doflamingo is when he takes out Oars Jr. with relative ease.

I can't wait to see Doflamingo fight the Straw Hats.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    show just how powerful Doflamingo is when he takes out Oars Jr. with relative ease.

Doflamingo will be the last Warlord and has major arc villain written all over him.

DHS on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I just don't know how you defend against him. I'm assuming Haki but maybe Oda will throw a swerve with the revelation that not even Haki will affect Doflamingo.

Honestly though that would make him practically invincible.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I just don't know how you defend against him. I'm assuming Haki but maybe Oda will throw a swerve with the revelation that not even Haki will affect Doflamingo.

Well, I just wanna know more about his powers, he's not controlling minds just bodies, and he cut things with unseen wires or something. It'd be pretty awesome if it was all "practical", as in not Devil Fruited at all. Then it'd be pretty haki proof, if he had the greater mastery.

DHS on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DHS wrote: »

Doflamingo will be the last Warlord and has major arc villain written all over him.

Surpassing Mihawk is Zoro's dream, so his arc has to occur very close to the end of the manga.

Unless some other swordsman bests Mihawk in the interim, of course, but that's another discussion.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »

Surpassing Mihawk is Zoro's dream, so his arc has to occur very close to the end of the manga.

Unless some other swordsman bests Mihawk in the interim, of course, but that's another discussion.

I forgot about that. I'd still say Doflamingo will be dealt with last, but it wouldn't surprise me if Mihawk lasted longer, or if it's roughly the same arc. The other question is if and when Mihawk is finished with being a Warlord, he seems like he'd stop caring or be done with the World Government.

DHS on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Just curious, is Strong World canon for only the anime series or the manga as well?

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, there was an Oda-authored Chapter 0 about Shiki that is presumably canon as well as a handful of references in canon, so I don't know, but I wouldn't count on it coming up much in main manga story.

DHS on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

The swordsman who Blackbeard recruited might turn out to be better than Mihawk. He's less known, but that's due to secrecy of the prison.

Also, Smoker's apprentice.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

The swordsman who Blackbeard recruited might turn out to be better than Mihawk. He's less known, but that's due to secrecy of the prison.

Wild speculation: Shiryuu kills Mihawk in some kind of cheap way. Zoro vows revenge because now he can never surpass Mihawk.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Wild speculation: Shiryuu kills Mihawk in some kind of cheap way. Zoro vows revenge because now he can never surpass Mihawk.

I've been suspecting it'd be something like this since
    Zoro asked Mihawk to train him

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »

I dunno, it doesn't seem like Oda would be the type to give a main character story arc resolution blue balls. If something happened it'd be more ironic, like Mihawk losing an arm like Shanks and being forced into retirement by his own perceptions. Nah, neither sounds good.

I'll say it now. Zoro's going to defeat Mihawk. He'll kill his sensei in a duel and he'll never say why.

Also as dumb as it sounds it's Shiliew, not Shiryuu.

DHS on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Damn, I hate it when that happens. Just recently got used to calling 'Oz' Oars.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm starting Water Seven/Penis Lobby on Monday.

It's a month to do what, a little under 100 episodes, so twenty-five a week sounds about right.

Might actually watch the recap episodes this time as I skipped them on my marathon.

Anyone interested in joining in? We could document our trek every week, though it is understandably old hat to most of you.

Also for anyone thinking about starting One Piece, I'd watch the anime at least until Loguetown and then pick up the official translated manga, or just keep watching the show. Viz pretty much fixes itself around the end of Arlong, and the latest translations have been great.

The Funimation dub is my preferred way to watch the series, though I do like the subbed version just fine.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

This time I'm kinda glad for Viz's weird translations. I'm sorry Oda Shiliew is lame.

They got Oars right though

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »

There's no way they'd blueball Zoro twice in the series. That would just be cruel.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm starting Water Seven/Penis Lobby on Monday.

It's a month to do what, a little under 100 episodes, so twenty-five a week sounds about right.

Might actually watch the recap episodes this time as I skipped them on my marathon.

Anyone interested in joining in? We could document our trek every week, though it is understandably old hat to most of you.

Also for anyone thinking about starting One Piece, I'd watch the anime at least until Loguetown and then pick up the official translated manga, or just keep watching the show. Viz pretty much fixes itself around the end of Arlong, and the latest translations have been great.

The Funimation dub is my preferred way to watch the series, though I do like the subbed version just fine.

I might join you, I've read all of the manga but haven't really gotten into the anime, I guess I just don't like filler? I don't know. Anyway Water 7 was my favourite bit of the manga so I guess it's as good a place as any to watch...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We still don't know what the deal is with Smoker's assistant, right?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd join, but I don't think I have the W7/EL eps anymore.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Part of the reason I love the funimation releases so much is that the middle of this show was fansubbed by horrible groups. Most of them had piss poor translations and even worse, desynched audio, especially when they switched over to an HD signal.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Well, I just wanna know more about his powers, he's not controlling minds just bodies, and he cut things with unseen wires or something. It'd be pretty awesome if it was all "practical", as in not Devil Fruited at all. Then it'd be pretty haki proof, if he had the greater mastery.

Making him basically a more flamboyant version of Walter from Hellsing?

I could live with that

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    New episode up+two of my favorite episodes dubbed.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    New episode:
    Wow, I had no idea Hancock could fight like that.

NOOOOOOOOOOO! NOT LITTLE OARS! D:

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Damn good episode.

edit:

Cant wait for next sunday's though!
    Ships randomly falling out of the sky always lead to awesome things happening.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Watching Funimation's Jaya dub ... I never noticed that Sanji is still smoking when he's underwater in his diving suit.

Ship full of retards.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I absolutely LOVED...
    Hancock kicking ass in the new episode. Doflamingo was a beast as well.

But lovable retards Gorilla.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Watching Funimation's Jaya dub ... I never noticed that Sanji is still smoking when he's underwater in his diving suit.

Ship full of retards.

Sanji smokes in a place where there's barely enough oxygen to breathe shortly after.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
This discussion has been closed.