As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer 40k: Dark Heresy PbP] A Trial by Fire (IC/OoC)

• Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    People going upstairs to chat with the Rats can start asking questions as they wish; don't need to know everyone's plans immediately.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cromwell smirks

"I trust you to get the necessary information, Sister"

He moves to second floor, covering the east stairwell, giving anyone that uses it a soul-piercing glare

FelixSomethingSomething on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gallus nods as Severine makes her pronouncement. "As you wish, Sister. I shall remain here."

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Havelock is definitely going upstairs. If skulls need to be cracked, thats where the Guardsman comes in. Maybe one of our more talkative members should head upstairs too, its always more sporting to ask nicely first and then crack the skulls. Its what separates the good guys from the bad.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    SquintsSquints Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Uriah will be on the first floor, watching from the [strike]shadows[/strike] bar.

Squints on
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Despite the fact that Dice thinks she's smarter than most of this bar's patrons, she nods in agreement to the plan. Brute strength might appeal the Rats, too dumb to be duped into giving the location of the artifact. "Sounds good to me. I'll keep an eye out down here." She cracks her knuckles and slips on her brass knuckles. She adds, "Just don't let it come to that, okay? Time to put your muscle where your mouth is, Sister," glancing at the Sororita.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So looks like just Havelok and Severine are heading upstairs? 'K; I moved people into approximate positions, feel free to move them around yourselves or ask me/some else to.

The Sister and the Guard climb the stairs to meet with the quartet of Rats on the upper level, as the remainder of the party takes positions on the levels below. One glances back at you as your pair of adventurers make the top landing and he shoots you an amused sneer before turning back to his companions and making an inaudible comment that makes them all snicker. Otherwise you are completely ignored, and they go back to paying attention to the dogs below.

Map:
    pub?id=1o54tOFP3PDtt-k_GUx0czIart2tf_zIUUdnoj2vQTa4&w=1194&h=1361

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Really? Only the Guardsman and the Sister of Battle? There's like 7 of us and only 2 came to the party?

You guys are pussies. :)

This is not quite what I meant for the plan. I figured there'd be at least four of us on the top floor, two at each set of stairs, hemming the gangers in. Someone with some social skills to talk/bargain/cajole with the gangers, the rest to lay down a beating if it came to that. Now we're pretty much limited to a beating, and there's no guarantee that we won't kill everyone and lose out on the info. But hey, thats cool. We'll manage...I brought a gun.

Severine, how do you want to play this, its just you and me. Do we kill three of them and leave the last to talk?

Susan, who looks to be the leader of this gang? Vanilla Ice was the beer bitch, yes? Who are others, its hard to make out....Gordon Ramsey? Kanye? Ice-T? Is that what I'm seeing?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Hahaha - I lost track of who was going upstairs. At the beginning of this thing, everyone was excited to get their hands dirty. Looks like Steelhawk and paperstsoapco were the only ones who meant it!

Dice sighs, shakes her head, and darts towards the stairs. "Not going to let Sister Stick-Up-Her-Ass and Johnny Law have all the fun..." she says while huffing and puffing up the two stories of stairs after them. "Besides, they'll need a translator, I'm sure."

Moved myself on the map...That coo?

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    paperstsoapcopaperstsoapco Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hahaha, I kept reading everyone's responses waiting for someone to say they were going upstairs and then it never happened.

The Sister glares at the gangers, trudging forward a few steps and bringing her hand to the handle of her flail. Then, just as she gets ready to start a ruckus, she hears Dice running up the stairs. With a sigh and a slump, she motions her forward.

Severine mumbles a bit, but it's pretty easy to pick out what she says, "And here I was hoping we could skip right past the 'asking nicely' straight to the 'cracking skulls'. Oh well."

paperstsoapco on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ahahah - it would've been good if no one noticed that no one was going upstairs. susan's next post , "You spend the next 8 hours buying drinks at the bar, spending your remaining Thrones on cheap, watered down, acrid liquor, exchanging prison stories, and arguing about the existential merits of 'heading upstairs', until mid-sentence, your collars simultaneously explode, concluding the fastest game of Dark Heresy in history."

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    "Please do not crack them if possible, Sister. Servo-skulls do not grow on trees, you know."

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Heh I figured at least Dice if not another was going to go upstairs so I'd figured I'd stay down below. Moved myself up to the 3rd floor, but over to the otherside. If combat breaks out, I'll come over to help or if one makes a break for the right stairwell I'll grab the first, Uriah can grab the next on the 2nd floor then.

Gabriel watches most the of the group stay down the ground floor, while only the two of them head upstairs. Heading over to the bar, he grabs what apparently passes for a drink around here. Turning, he sees Dice disappear up the stairs. Not wanting to be outdone after they both gathered info at their respected places, he heads up the other flight of stairs. Reaching the top level, he grabs a seat at the closest table. Spotting the others at the other stairs, he watch them and the rats out of the corner of his eye, just in case trouble starts.

And tries not to wince as his awful drink goes down his throat.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Uriah melts into the crowd on the bottom floor, hand on one of his blades as he tries to shoot glances up every now and then while staying innocuous.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cromwell gives Dice, then Gabriel a curious look as they run past

"Little late to the party?"

• Options
    edited September 2010
    It is now four on four on the top level, and as Dice joins the upstairs crew the Rats seem to take notice, making some obscene gestures and inappropriate cat-calls. This goes on for a few moments, before one near the railings narrows his eyes a bit and tilts his head to the side, giving you a hard look. Flicking his chin up, he shouts at you, "You lookin' at somethin', greenie? 'Cause you four seem to be starin' our way for some reason. Speak your peace or jump off the railing, we important people ain't got time for mousey broads and nuns in iron unless you talkin' business."

There doesn't appear to be a 'Leader' of the group. Vanilla Ice was getting the beers, and does appear to be the youngest and therefore the target of most the taunts of the other three. It was Ice-T that spoke up to you just now (there's Vanilla Ice, Ice-T, Ice Cube, and Iceman from Top Gun; I don't know why I did this).

Dice - That's definitely fine you repositioned yourself; that's why I sent you the map invite :) .

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I' have returned from PAX, fresh Dark Heresy books in hand. Many new enemies and toys to play with... *steeples fingers and chuckles to himself*

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Eep.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dice retorts, "Don't be such a grox-humper," as she approaches him, adding "The boss sent me over with these two - he wants extra protection on, you know...'that thing' for tonight. Supposedly, a buncha wackos escaped from some prison nearby." She crosses her arms, standing askew. "Said you could take us to it."

Miserable excuse for a roll: 72 No bonus could save that Deceive roll. Looks like you guys are up!

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    On the plus side, the Rats blew their Scrutiny roll also: 60. So they don't believe you, but they don't think you're lying yet either, and any of you can make another attempt if you'd like.

This statements quirks the eyebrows on a few of the Rats in front of you, and earns their full attention. The same ganger leans in and says, "The 'Thing' tonight? I ain't too sure I know what 'Thing' you're talkin' about quite yet, could you remind me a bit more?"

A second Rat leans back and makes an obscene gesture, "I got a 'Thing' right here if that's what you're lookin' for, for you an' the Sister over there." This earns some snorts from the remaining rats, who do seem slightly more nervous than they were moments before.

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dice glares at the second Rat, replying, "In that case, it looks like even you'd need help finding it. Maybe one of your buddies here can help you." She uncrosses her arms and continues, "Cut the crap. Just take us to It. There's a bunch of nut-jobs from the prison break looking for this thing and my friends here are impatient - I don't want to test the patience of the penitent," pointing towards Severine.

Ugh. Even worse: 87. I just hope Luck is saving the goods rolls for the WS and BS tests. Anyone else feel free to jump in with better ideas/fists.

e: I can't seem to click on Dice on the map for some reason. I'm trying to move her closer to the Rats, in accordance w/my second to last post. Halp?

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wow, Scrutiny = 92. The Blind conning the Blind... And Dice, I fixed your position on the map; for some reason, your picture was on a layer lower than the gridlines. *shrug* I never pretended it was an ideal solution to the mapping problem, just that it's the best I've come up with so far.

The Rats look at eachother, shrugging shoulders and making non-committal grunts and gestures. The one who has been speaking turns back to you, "Look, we get what you're after, an' we appreciate the situation might get crazy if there's some cons roaming the streets, but the situation's kinda crazy already, know what I'm sayin'? How we supposed to know if you legit? You ain't told us who you are or who you with, right? So, who are ya, and who you with?"

susan on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lying so badly they think we are telling the truth... I think we are on to something here.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Statement: sometimes I wonder how you people survive without the purity of hard data.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Uriah is a bit worried this is taking a bit longer than he thought - which means the talk is actually working so far. He had expected them to run rather quickly.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Havelock stands close by Dice, a scowl look on his face, taking the "role" of the grunt of the crew. He stands ready to crack some skulls if needed.

In fact, Havelock is ready to crack from skulls now. The lack of discipline and order in the hives and forge worlds are mind boggling. Not like the Scholam, and not like life in the Guard. It was insulting. He, and his hapless compatriots, were doing the Inquisitions work! The Emperors work! And he couldn't even rely on its authority to help him out. Feth, what a revolting development this is. Havelock was getting tired of it. Very deliberately, he pulls his handcannon out from under his vest and makes sure the Iron Rats see it, before placing it more comfortably in its holster.

Intimidation = 33 vs Half Strength (30/2 = 15)

Man, making skill checks in this game is brutal! Is it always like this? I need to read up on the skill rules.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's always somewhat brutal, especially when defaulting to Basic Skills and not Advanced Skills, but it really does help when you stack on the bonuses. For example, your Intimidate Roll would succeed if you have a +20 Bonus (making your effective Strength 35). RPing is more freeform than combat when it comes to bonuses/penalties, and you already have a +10 Bonus for just blending into the surroundings; can you point out why you should have another +10 Bonus in these circumstances (perhaps by flashing your gun)?

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How does one upgrade from basic to advance skills? Or are they just different and thats that? Can you upgrade a basic skill to an advanced one? Actually... let me read the rules first before I ask all sorts of questions. :)

As for fishing for bonuses... I could flash my gun, sure. I'll edit my post above.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, the skills are quite different from DnD, it's taken me a while to get used to them as well :) . Maybe this will help out: Don't think of the skills as 'Basic' or 'Advanced', think of them as 'Untrained' and 'Trained'.

'Untrained/Basic' skills are things like Intimidate, Awareness, Swimming, Searching, etc; ie "Things that absolutely everyone can try, but probably won't be all that good at unless they've had a bit of practice at them", which is why they are checked at 1/2 the attribute. There's a long list of Basic/Untrained skills that everyone automatically gets, and then each Homeworld gives characters some additional Basic/Untrained appropriate to their upbringing (ie, if you grew up in a Hive you're going to know something about technology just inherently).

'Trained/Advanced' skills are purchased with XP as characters start out or level up down the line; you all spent 400xp up front, and probably all purchased a skill or two. Trained/Advanced skills are tested at the full attribute, whether they started out as a Basic skill or are completely new to a character, and then further down career paths characters may purchase Masteries on certain skills, 'Super Training', which gives +10 or +20 to the skill score. As characters advance in careers, more and more skills are available for Training as specified on their career paths; Steel's Guardsman will be able to train Intimidate as an Armsman (basically, at Level 3).

Hope this helps! And please do ask questions, the more I explain things the better I know it as well!

The Rats in front of you catch Havelock holstering his Handcannon and apparently reassess their position very quickly. The lead one raises his hands slightly, taking a slightly more defensive posture, "Easy bro, we get ya, no need for artillery here, we're all friendly right? Keep the safety on."

He glances back at his companions, who all seem slightly perplexed on what to do at this point. Turning back, he says meekly, "Look, ladies, bro, we get it. You're talking about... the crate, right? The one that the trader's shopping around, that flew in last week? With the... the gun?" He licks his lips nervously, seeming to get a bit shaken just thinking about what he's saying. "My boys here, we're just the muscle, we don't got it, and we can't just take you to it. It's back at our place, and man we'd be dead men if we just took strangers there out the blue. You gonna have to give us some time to figure this out, let you know where to go about buyin'. Give us 'til tomorrow an' we can work it out, right?"

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Why do people always assume we have more than 10 hours to live? It's downright rude

• Options
    edited September 2010
    9 hours. :mrgreen:

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dice chuckles and shakes her head, replying, "I gotcha...but that's we're trying to tell ya.." She crosses her arms, "We ain't got much time." She sighs and throws her arms up, exaggerating, "Look. If you guys want to know the truth...Word on the street is that the Inquisition in in town. They sprang these nutjobs from prison to do their dirty work. The powers that be don't want our buyer getting this thing, so we were sent down as extra muscle. There's no telling what these guys'll do - they've got nothing to live for."

Third Deceive attempt, as miserable as the rest: 89.

"My guess is they'd do something even crazier than show up to some dive bar, packing heat, and talking shit...but I get it. You guys are in no rush and that's fine. What do you say the next round is on us and you guys tell us a bit about how tight your shit is and anything else that we'd need to know to protect this thing?"

Apparently all I needed to do was roll a Charm attempt: 23. Dice has exactly 0 Thrones to her name so, uh, these drinks are coming out of someone else's coffers (looks like Dice and I have something in common).

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    paperstsoapcopaperstsoapco Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sorry I haven't posted for a while, my roommate neglected to pay the internet bill so it's been turned off for a few days. /sigh

Severine stands behind Dice as she chats up the Rats, arms crossed. As much as she hates to admit it, it's fairly impressive watching her smooth talk them . . . despite how shaky the story is. Lying, conniving, storytelling, and what she thought might be flirting were all things the Sister wasn't well versed in.

She grins at the nearest Rat, "Is there anything that doesn't taste like urine here?"

paperstsoapco on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    94 Scrutiny... *sigh*

The Rats still aren't sure whether to trust you or not, but a smile crosses their faces as Dice mentions drinks. "Nah, we'll pick this round up, don't want you to think we ain't civilized." The ganger turns towards the young Rat again, throwing a spoon at him and barking a command, "Kenny, two pitchers and four glasses, and get some clean ones for the Sister here." Kenny stands and goes down the stairs, grumbling, while the rest of the Rats snicker.

Turning back to you, the Rat leans in and speaks with a slightly flirty tone, "Look, if you're scared of the big bad Inquisitorium, I do suppose we could take you back to our place. I could show you around, we could do some business, then we could get to know each other." He glances up towards Severine. "Hell, I can get to know the Sister too if that's what she's into. I hear freaky things 'bout her kind." The Rat turns to the other two gangers behind him, "Ray, Bo, you wanna go get the truck an' swing it up front? Should be enough space for us all if we squeeze in tight. Girl can sit on my lap if she wants, too." Chuckling, the other two Rats go downstairs and proceed towards the front door. The last Rat turns back. "My names Mike, for the record. They call me Sharp Mikey, 'cause I always get to the point o' things." He smiles and leans back, waiting for his friends to come back. He's all alone with you up there...

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Is this the part where Havelock cracks a skull open and dangles the Rat three stories above the dog fighting pit? Then he'll scream like a little girl and tell us everything we want to know?

He might need some help with the dangling part. I don't want to fail a check and feed his broken body to the wolves until after we get the info we need.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Uriah looks up at Severine and Dice a few times as the two Rats walk down the stairs calmly. If anyone else is on the bottom floor, he tilts his head at the door while facing him or her. The assassin slowly moves through the crowd towards the door, keeping one or two bodies between himself and the Rats he follows.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think I saw this on a pictvid one time ... just before we had to burn it for salacious heresy.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Kenny the Rat stops at the second floor bar, trying in vain to get the wavering attention of the barman who's more interested in watching the game than serving watery alcohol. Meanwhile, Rats Ray and Bo walk calmly down the nearby spiral staircase, chatting without concern and moving like they've all the time in the world. When they get to the entryway Bo stops and starts to fish for his gun ticket, but Ray smacks him on the head and reminds him that they're just going right back inside. Bo rolls his eyes and follows Ray out the door; it looks like they're heading a couple blocks down, to where the hovervehicles are tethered and recharging in a lot around the next corner. They are very much not paying attention to their surroundings and are sauntering at a slow and relaxed pace.

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cromwell counts Rats as they go past, joining the others on the third floor once Mike is the only one left. He hangs back a bit, not joining the conversation but ready to exert some force if need be.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Uriah gives his ticket to the bouncer to get his guns back. However long this takes is probably how fast he tries to get back within viewing distance of the two rats and follow them until they get to the lot so he can see if said lot has any attendees or security.

Squints on