As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer 40k: Dark Heresy PbP] A Trial by Fire (IC/OoC)

• Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A weapon, wonderful. Who wants to take bets that it's gun that shoots demons specify born with the sole purpose of eating inquisitor acolytes.

:twisted:

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rule One for Dark Heresy: DO NOT GIVE THE GM IDEAS D:

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh don't worry; in my universe, all Demons were born with the sole purpose of eating Inquisitor acolytes already. You taste like candy.

susan on
  • Options
    FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cromwell narrows his eyes at the little punk and mumbles, hand drifting to the medallion around his neck..

"Defiance? Emperor, grant me the strength to show this heretic that you accept nothing but pure obedience"

Invocation test succeeds

Fearful Aura power roll succeeds. Cromwell has a Fear rating of 2

Kenny notices the stench of burning hair and gets a piercingly cold hand on the shoulder as Cromwell turns him around again. The pskyer's head is singed bald, his hollow eye sockets seeming to stare right into the Rat's soul. The eagle's wing brand on his cheek sizzles, the skin curling back and transforming into pristine feathers as a majestic eagle pushes its way out of his face. It lets out a screech and takes perch on Cromwell's shoulder, leaving a gaping hole in the side of his face.

"You misunderstand, heretic; I am not asking for your aid, the Emperor is requiring it"

The hand on Kenny's shoulder grips vice-tight

"Give me your knowledge or face damnation the likes of which I haven't the words or time to properly describe"

If this intimidate roll fails this'll all be pretty anti-climactic. I figure I get some sort of bonus for that? +10, +20? Let's see what the roll is...

Intimidate roll of 31. Half strength is 17, but with a +20 it could pass

Oh, also Kenny and anyone else who can see me needs to make a WP test at -10, rolling on the Shock table in the rulebook if they fail. A crowded bar was the best place to use this power :D

FelixSomethingSomething on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    susan wrote: »
    Oh don't worry; in my universe, all Demons were born with the sole purpose of eating Inquisitor acolytes already. You taste like candy.

But I have weird crunchy bits!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The sneering look of annoyance on Kenny's face dies quickly as he spins around and takes a look at Cromwell. The Rat's eyes bug out and his face goes pale, and he lets out an incredibly high-pitched scream as the beers he was holding are thrown up and out, drenching everyone in the near vicinity. This scream is soon repeated (though in much manlier octaves) by the Barman and several members of the crowd. The Barman throws his towel down on the ground and starts running for the stairs and the street beyond, and very soon is followed by the vast majority of the patrons on the second floor, many of whom had not succumbed to the panic themselves but knew enough to not ask questions when people started running.

Kenny falls to the floor sobbing, babbling and tearing at his flesh and barely able to speak, though Cromwell thinks he can make out "I'll talk, I'll talk" chanted over and over again. By this time, the other patrons on the first floor as well have gotten the message and are streaming out the door.

Up on the third floor, the final Rat hears the screams and the commotions and bolts a bit in his chair. Turning his attention away from Dice and Company, he says quietly, "What the f*** is goin' on down there..." He reaches deep into his jacket and pulls out a compact Stubber Semi-Auto pistol, stands, and walks to the balcony just a few feet behind him, leaning over far to try and get a glance of what's going on below. His attention is completely off of the party members on the top floor.

susan on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "Feth me," Havelock whispers. He knows all of this rukus means that the rest of his team has gotten antsy and impatient. Dice had her chance at sweettalking. Now its about to go to shit in 15 seconds. The Emperor protects.

Havelock will pull out his hand cannon and place it against the back of the Rats head, the trigger already, half depressed, if the ganger makes any suddent moves, Havelock will blow his brains out.

"Alright, Rat. Spill whatever you know about the alien artifact and I won't send your brains raining down into peoples drinks below. We represent the Holy Ordos of the Inquisition. We demand answers. Now."

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    SquintsSquints Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Uriah moves to stab the Rat, but Nero's hard hit changes his stance and he misses wildly! Uriah grunts, "I hate knives..." he hisses.

Aimed Stab!: 1d100 94

Squints on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The Ganger screams and lunges at Uriah with a full-out assault that leaves him open for counterattacking [+20WS, can't Dodge/Parry]. Unfortunately for him, he's far too dazed to connect and his swing goes right above Uriah's head.

In the near distance, you can start to see other gangers come rushing out of the bar and retrieving their weapons before hopping on bikes and trucks and getting the Hell out of there. Clearly, something interesting is happening inside...

INITIATIVE ORDER:
    Nero - 4
    Uriah - 12
    Rat - 8

Remember that Allies can go before other Allies (Uriah can go now if he so chooses).

Stats:
    Rat Ray: 2/10hp (Minion), 3TB, No Armor, Dodge (15), Parry (28)
    Rat Bo: Dead

Uriah - 7/11hp, 2TB, Armor (Body 4), Dodge (20), Parry (35)
    Nero - 14/14hp, 3TB, Armor (Body 3 Flak), Dodge (15)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back at the Bar

The place is now almost completely evacuated, but for one stubborn barman on the first floor, two very confused doormen, and a couple Rats and Inquisitor Acolytes. Kenny continues to whimper on the ground, though his sobs are decreasing in intensity. And Mikey has gone nice and rigid as the cold steel of the barrel is pressed against the back of his skull. He's quiet for a long few moments, obviously weighing his actions and the consequences they may bring.

He apparently decides that his chances of living through an Inquisitor's interrogation are less than living through a point-blank gunfight. He starts to quickly spin, his weapon arm lowering to seek a target...

Everyone on the top floor (Havelok, Dice, Gabriel, Severine) has one round to react before Mikey gets to try and shoot you (Initiative is effectively Havelok/Dice/Gabriel/Severine (any order) -> Mikey). In the delay, I'm going to say that everyone who wasn't already holding a gun to a Rat's head could reposition themselves anywhere on the top floor and draw whatever weapons they still have. Also, Havelok's gunshot will get a +30 Point Blank bonus and +20 for Aiming for a Full Round, and when people get into Melee don't forget to add your Ganging-Up Bonus (+20).

Map:
    pub?id=1o54tOFP3PDtt-k_GUx0czIart2tf_zIUUdnoj2vQTa4&w=1194&h=1361

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cromwell looms over the gibbering mess of a man, toning down his psychic torment slightly to let Kenny regain a bit of control over himself. The eagle on his shoulder preens itself quietly and Cromwell speaks with a voice that seems to resonate from every wall and floor.

"Speak."

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Well...in the words of that immortal Autobot tank guy....BLAM!

Seeing that the ganger isn't going to play nice, Havelock pulls the trigger. The heavy calibur slug tears a messy hole in Mikey's head. Blowback from the gunshot sends blood and gore everywhere.

(assuming he's dead...) Havelock one- arms the body away from the railing and dumps it on the table. He gathers up Mikey's pistol and ammo and rummages around searching the body for more valuables or, more importantly, clues.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Kenny props himself up on hands and knees, his shaking and sobbing now under control but still very unwilling to look up at Cromwell. "We got the gun in the Warehouse. Big Paulie and some of the boys are watchin' it, keeping it locked up until Tony, he's our Boss, could get a buyer meeting set up. That's all I know, man, I ain't even seen the gun!"

It's at that moment there is a loud cracking gunshot directly above you, and the vast majority of Mikey's head splatters over the far wall of the second floor. Kenny yelps again. "Alright! Don't shoot, I can... I can take you to the Warehouse! It's on 228th and Empire Rd, down in the sticks man! Old brown OmniCorp sled! The keypad code for the front door's 495369#! Just don't shoot me, man!"

Going over Mikey's corpse, Havelok finds two boot knives, a full spare clip for the pistol, 76 Thrones, a half-empty pack of Iho sticks, Mikey's gun-check chip from the front door, a key to a locker, and a dogeared Vox Caster Operator's Manual.

susan on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "In the emperor's name, what is wrong with you! He was in charge, he obviously knew more than that. At least try to question him a little more first, it's hard to give up info with a bullet in your brain! Let's just hope the commotion downstairs is the rest of the team being more productive then you are..."

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Havelock 1, Rats 0

Cromwell lets his psychic presence fade, the eagle giving Kenny one last bone-chilling screech before it takes flight, bursting into a cloud of feathers over the Sabre-Wolf ring.

"Very well, you may stand"

He turns toward the staircase leading to the third floor and shouts, voice echoing in the eerily quiet bar.

"I've acquired information, and a guide!"

He keeps one eye on Kenny, just in case.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Gallus sighs as the panicked patrons pound past him through the portal and into the public street beyond. "Oh dear," he mutters as the sounds of combat drift down from upstairs, "I do hope they won't get blood on those nice weapons."

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Kenny sullenly sits on a barstool, his head down towards the floor as he contemplates his likely grim future.

Alright, you've got a lead, a prisoner/guide, some extra equipment, and (as soon as Nero and Uriah finish off Ray) a ride. You guys know what you're going to want to do next?

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mount a sword on the front of the van and drive it through the warehouse wall.

Or we could pose as buyers, if after talking with Kenny that sounds like it wouldn't tip them off. The sneakier types might be able to find a back entrance and start picking off guys while the rest of us go in through the front.

Also now that we have the door code we could just take them by surprise and go in guns blazing.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Uriah ducks that blow, then swings his knife like a haymaker punch right into the side of the Rat's head. After twisting the knife a bit to make sure he's finished, Uriah kicks him off his blade.

Stabby Stabby: 1d100 6 For Stabby Stabby: 1d5 4 damage.

Uriah wipes his blade clean, "That took a bit longer than expected. Let's see what we can find on these bodies, get the keys, and see if the others have made any headyway.

"And thanks for the help.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ^^Don't forget to add your Strength Bonus for Melee attacks, but yeah, didn't really matter :) .

The bodies of the two fallen Rats reveal the following items: Keys for the hovertruck they were walking towards, two hardened machetes (swords), three knives, two gun rental chips, two reloads for a Handcannon, three reloads for a Revolver, 36 Thrones, a Krak Grenade, and an Imperial Guardsman's Uplifting Primer still in plastiwrap.

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    For when it comes up, the pocket contents for Kenny are: 2 Knives, a locker key, a gun-check ticket, 5 Thrones, two Revolver reloads, two Autogun reloads, a half dozen Shotgun shells, and a rolled-up dirty magazine.

Let me know what you guys decide to do.

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, I assume we at least trade in the gun-check tickets we've gotten and pile into the hovertruck. Do the bouncers give us any trouble about having other people's tickets and possibly holding a man captive?

• Options
    edited September 2010
    As you exit the bar and link back up together, Mikey's hands secured behind him with some wire that was handy, the bouncers give you some nervous sideways glances but retrieve yours and the Ganger's weapons (three Revolvers, one Handcannon, a Pump-Action Shotgun, and an Autogun). You all then pile into the Hovertruck; a beat-up but serviceable vehicle that fits three of you in the cabin and the rest in the bed behind two-foot rusty steel walls and hte fold-down ramp. The Truck glides smoothly and surprisingly quickly over the paved roads as you speed towards your destination...

To the Warehouse?

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That direction, yes. We'll figure out exactly what the plan is while we drive

Cromwell casts Kenny a sideways glance

"Rat. How do potential buyers make their desire known in your circles? Would you be able to present one of us as one? And tell us everything you know about the warehouse's guard postings and entrances"

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Kenny shakes his head at Cromwell's questions, "Don't know, man, Tony was setting up the meetings with any buyers he could find, he's the one who knows how that stuff works out. I could do some introductions to Paulie at the Warehouse though, and he's the one with the gun anyway. We don't got any guards or anything like that, but Paulie don't let us smoke inside, says its bad for our lungs. So there's usually a guy or two leanin' against the building lighting up a stick."

Kenny thinks hard about any more information he might be able to give, sweat starting to bead on his forehead. "Let's see... The Boys all use the big front door or the little front door; same code works on both them, and they all go into the big room. Tony and Paulie know the code to the office door; that's on the East side of the building. We ain't allowed in there, an' that's where they keep important things. Gun's gonna be in there. Dunno how many boys are gonna be there today; we're workin' on a thing, so more than a few, but probably won't be a lot more than ten unless Tony called in for some muscle. Everyone parks inside to keep our wheels out of the rain; there's an old lot halfway down the street if you wanna walk up, though."

You can still ask questions/make plans; this is for when you're ready to move on...

You approach the Rat's Warehouse down in the sticks, seeing it nestled tightly among dozens of similar warehouses and all looking like they ought to be condemned. Straight ahead of you and to the left, you see a big brown box with a faded sign reading 'OmniCorp Foodstuffs Facility 43R'. True to Kenny's word, you also see a man wearing Iron Rat leathers leaning against the building slowly smoking an Iho stick and batting at a large datapad that is completely absorbing his attention. Some parking spaces are to your right, and apart from the lone man ahead of you the streets are completely vacant.

8 Hours, 20 Minutes left.

Map:

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm at work right now, but I have a psychic power to heal Uriah with once I have access to the rulebook again.

As for the warehouse... we could split into two groups, one breaks in the back and the other goes in the front to 'talk to Paulie'. When someone raises the alarm the front team takes out anyone they're with during the confusion. And this poor sod outside can get a knife to the throat before all this.

Edit: Oh, and we could grab a Microbead with the thrones we've acquired so the two teams can stay in communication. If it turns out they're more defended than we thought we can abort and regroup to come up with a new plan.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    This sounds too easy, but your plan is as good as any. We have three Revolvers, one Handcannon, a Pump-Action Shotgun, a compact stubber pistol, an Autogun, krak grenade, 6 shotgun shells, 2x handcannon mags, 3x revolver mags, 1x pistol mags, 2 swords, 5 knives*, maybe more, but I think we all already have one/something as good* to be divided up. Who needs a weapon upgrade?

Fondor_Yards on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We've got some thrones too, and I think Cromwell could use some better armor. An autopistol might come in handy too. I'll look at prices and such later.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Cromwell offers Uriah his services and, assuming he accepts them, places his palm over the man's leg wound. He mutters in High Gothic, fiddling with his pendant, and closes the wound.

Invocation, then Healer restores 5 hit points, bringing Uriah to full

We have 126 Thrones, maybe a little more if we sold some stuff. A Microbead is 20, so that leaves 106. A light flak coat would help Cromwell out but it's 80, so that's up for debate. Also dang, that Krak grenade packs a punch, 6 armor penetration.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Nice roll, Cromwell.

Getting a Microbead and some armor/any other supplies would take an extra 15 minutes. Buying or selling guns or explosives would take considerably longer. It's up to y'all how you want to split the loot, but depending on how the Warehouse goes, you may end up with good gear enough for everybody... or fewer party members to split items with.

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Havelock would love the handcannon mag(s). There's always room for more bullets. The Krak grenade too is nice, but I think it should be used soon and not hoarded away in someones kit. Still, we're all still fresh on ammo, so divvying loot after the warehouse is fine with me.

The plan is good. Two teams front and back.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Uriah pulls up to the club in that crappy truck-thing and waits for the rest of the party to come out. He limps out of the vehicle, "Ran into some trouble, but no one got away," he says simply. "If you want the thugs' guns, I have their tickets to get them back from the bouncers - but I wouldn't suspect anything that great out of those chumps."

Uriah thanks Cromwell for the healing of his gashed leg, and he checks his ammo supply for his gun. "Sounds like you all got what you needed while I was on my field trip. With the money we picked up we may be able to get something to help us with, but I wouldn't go crazy with the explosives - we gotta get that artifact out in one piece, right?"

Squints on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Will post tomorrow - sorry all.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No worries; don't think everyone's decided on a plan yet. So are we splitting up, Team Sneaky and Team Talky with a Microbead to keep everyone in touch? And what about the one up front, and Kenny for that matter?

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Getting a mircobead would help, so that both grounds can communicate to each other. I've got one, so whoever gets the other has to be in different groups. And if you guys don't care, I'll grab the pump-action then.

Group 1:
    Gallus, Dice
    Severine, Gabriel

Group 2:
    Uriah
    Havelock, Cromwell, Nero

The reasoning so far is, Gallus is the buyer for group 1, since he can simply pose as a high ranking Magos, since most of the rest of us look like poor thugs. But as such an important Magos, he let's Dice*with her much better Fellowship* do all the talking for him since he doesn't want to lower himself to talking to him. Bonus points. for him letting out blasts of binary at random points and Dice pretending to understand and translate. Threw in Gabriel and Severine as bodyguards.

Uriah with our only stealth stills is a sure in for the second group. Wasn't sure of who else to put here, no one else is really seems sneaky. Havelock for combat skills, Cromwell for his own skills *0/2 with Perils so far, looking good!* and Nero, but I'm not really sure about this one. Didn't know where to put him really, but his Inquiry, intimidate, and interrogation will be more useful in the second since no one has anything like that unless we switched Gabriel in.

Fondor_Yards on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nero is fine with such a plan, subtlety isn't his strong point. Immolation is.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    paperstsoapcopaperstsoapco Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apologies for lack of posting recently, I went for a road trip and came back to find a once-slowish thread exploding with posts :D

Severine waltzes from the bar with a grin planted smugly on her face. Heretics with missing brains always felt so good. Hopping into the truck, she says little as she listens to the plan. Plans aren't really her thing.

As they drive, she checks, double checks, and triple checks her armor and weaponry. Nearing the destination, quiet prayers begin escaping her lips, her eyes closed in reverence. She almost looks . . . happy, which could be mildly disconcerting.

I am perfectly fine with aforementioned plan, for the record.

paperstsoapco on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Indeed, Havelock is also cool with the plan.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That plan makes sense

Squints on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Alright, that's over half of ya, so we're going with it. Still need to know what you're doing with Kenny, though.

With just over 8 hours left on your time, you decide to split the party and confront the warehouse from two angles. A sneaking group, consisting of Nero, Uriah, Havelock and Cromwell ducks down behind a warehouse half a block away and slowly makes their way to the side of the target completely out of sight. They approach the locked door that Kenny the Rat indicated leads into some kind of office, and pause for a moment as the second group makes their approach in a more direct manner.

Gabriel, Gallus, Dice and Severine walk down the middle of the street in plain view, sauntering like they haven't a care in the world. About 50 meters out the smoking Rat sees them and starts just a little, but he quickly composes himself and starts to look at you with interest. He doesn't move from his leaning position nor discard his Iho stick, though once he sees that you are approaching him one of his hands does casually drop to be closer to a bulge in his jacket you can only assume is a weapon. He's not making any aggressive moves, though, and does appear to be more curious than worried at present.

Map:

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Shrug, kill him? We can't afford to leave him lying around, he might regain his balls and run/tell his mates. Can't afford to waste the time turning him over to locals cops. Who's carrying Team Sneaky's microbead?

Fondor_Yards on